Random Acts of Questioning

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    The older you get the more muscle is lost.
    But you also get smarter and more astute (except for MY parental, of course!) :wink:
    And that protein Dalon mentions. And pink or not so pink weights! Purple ones work fine too as do black! I'm only qualified for baby blue with green highlights! :lol: )
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,879 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics is the way to go...use your own body weight to build muscle!

I'm trying to embed the habit of doing wall/counter-top press-ups, squats and lunges when I'm waiting for the kettle to boil, etc.

Use it or lose it....

https://www.calisthenics-gear.com/calisthenics-over-50/
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I am in Florida south of Sarasota….the “ Bobcat” could have been a panther or a lynx….I didn’t get close and he / she kept walking in the opposite direction!…it was sighted in a tree a few weeks ago…we have lots of wooded areas that humans have invaded building houses that are in their habitat!

Yoolypr I have noticed if I don’t swim for a few weeks, like presently, that I have to start over building my endurance when I go back to it…I was swimming 45 minutes non stop plus aerobics and water jogging for a total of 90 minutes….when I go back I will do good to do 45 minutes total….I guess it is part of aging….btw I refuse to get old!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist wears a shirt that says “Motion is Lotion”. I think once I’m done with therapy I’ll definitely do more weight training. There will be some cardio too but not exclusively. 🏋️‍♂️ 🚶🏼‍♀️💪
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    My physical therapist wears a shirt that says “Motion is Lotion”. I think once I’m done with therapy I’ll definitely do more weight training. There will be some cardio too but not exclusively. 🏋️‍♂️ 🚶🏼‍♀️💪

Do you have access to a pool?….I use water resistance gloves and I have water weights….so much easier in the water….you just have to do more!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The older you get the more muscle is lost.
    But you also get smarter and more astute (except for MY parental, of course!) :wink:
    And that protein Dalon mentions. And pink or not so pink weights! Purple ones work fine too as do black! I'm only qualified for baby blue with green highlights! :lol: )

s3npmsoila3s.jpg
    Enough said......
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I don’t have access to a pool. Besides I can’t swim and hate the chlorine in swimming pools. I know it would be a great way to exercise but I doubt I’d enjoy it. So it’s weights and walking for me.
    The weights at my gym only come in black or gray!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    oohh!!! Soon - maybe next week - I'll be adding bands to my strength training! So exciting (and no doubt painful...lol)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Rubber bands are evil. I’m using them with my physical therapy.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I don’t have access to a pool. Besides I can’t swim and hate the chlorine in swimming pools. I know it would be a great way to exercise but I doubt I’d enjoy it. So it’s weights and walking for me.
    The weights at my gym only come in black or gray!

I didn’t learn to swim until I was about 9 and I decided I wanted to swim!…I guess I taught myself….when our son was born he took to the water like a duck and was swimming at one….nine years later our daughter was born and was in the pool at a few months old….when Amanda was 7, I took her to a synchronized swim class and she swam with the club for the next 10 years ranking 4th in the state and 75th in the nation…she also did speed swimming in high school where she was MVP…some weeks she swam 40 hours….she also did summer speed swimming clubs….she competed all over the USA and in other countries….it was an exciting time….later she coached speed swimming and had the opportunity to coach with the Olympic synchronized coach and choreographer!….both of my grands are excellent swimmers but not competitive in sports….I loved her swimming but it was very time consuming and expensive….she gave up a lot to swim but also had lots of fun during that time… daughter stopped swimming she started gaining weight….she is still a beautiful woman and a great teacher but I miss that athlete she was years ago….
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Amanda smelled like chlorine all the time!….the pool I swim in is saltwater and not as stinky!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    It must have been quite the experience for you all with Amanda achieving that level of competition!
    I'm not a fan of chlorine pools either :( though I really love swimming. I too taught myself, Connie. Just had no fear so started swimming under water holding my breath - and then figured out how to get up to breath.
    My kids love swimming also - though they didn't take to the sport side of it. My grandson loves the water - but he has some fear (that came from I don't know where because it really contradicts how much fun he has when we go to the lake).
    Last summer I wrangled both of my boys and daughter in law into going to a nearby quarry and it tickled me to see my younger son - 31- just walk into the water, look back and smile, and just keep on going to swim to the other side and back without a moment's hesitation. I haven't seen him in the water for a long time but he was right back to his young self in a moment.
    The older one - 39 - is carrying all those grown up weights so he didn't have quite as much fun trying to balance the fears of his wife who doesn't like natural water and the excitement of his son who wanted to go swim with Uncle.
    I couldn't swim. One-armed swimming just hasn't worked for me. My friend laughed and said that I would just go round in circles, but no, I just kinda of went down...lol. I can't wait to swim this year...swimming and cycling. I've missed them both so much! It is going to be a wonderful summer.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Oh I hope those bands don't feel too evil for me, Yooly! We have to start giving each other high fives for every rubber band day we survive!

I'll be starting the process with my bright (thank goodness) physiotherapist! We are figuring out what my limitations still are. The good doc fixed/reattached 2 muscles. But there are things that weren't addressed ( :s - irreparable?! bits and pieces *kitten*) and they are still causing some mechanical issues and shocks of pain. Tormenting those old injuries is more than pointless, it just sets me back a few steps. So we are figuring out a zigzagging path to strength!
    I can now move my arm in ways that I haven't been able to for years. It is very exciting. It amazes me every time I lift my hand skyward (the arm can do it all on its own now) and there is very little "surgery" pain and no need to shift and shimmy around to make the levers and pulleys work like I've had to for the past bunch of years (acutely since the injury 2 1/2 years ago, and progressively for the previous decade and because of the wear and tear from landscape design and build work).

Today rubber bands - tomorrow the world!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wow Laurie! And happy flower painting too!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,879 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    " I can't wait to swim this year...swimming and cycling. I've missed them both so much! It is going to be a wonderful summer.

We have lots in common Laurie! I could swim before I could walk, and I've always loved wild water swimming - in my case in rivers or the ocean. Not many quarries in my neck of the woods. I like endurance swimming...I'm built more for endurance than speed.

And cycling is absolutely my favourite pastime...MTB cross country trail riding is my favourite, but I also have an ultra-light road bike (weighs just 8kg) and a 28kg Pashley Princess 'Miss Marple' sit-up-and-beg-bike with a front basket and fenders for running errands. Oh, and a Brompton for when I used to commute to work, but which I'll be selling come Spring. Plus another road bike set up permanently on the turbo. I guess that's too many bikes, but I use them all for different things.

That said, my new MTB, should arrive next week...replacing my old MTB which finally gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago after 30 faithful years of service. So I've treated myself to a shiny new one with suspension forks, hydraulic disc brakes and a dropper seatpost. I'm going to have soooooo much fun on her in the forest!

qbn636ejslmm.png
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That is a gorgeous machine, Bella!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    That is a gorgeous machine, Bella!

She needs her garfield on top! :lol:

fh8wlnkhzmm2.png

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    I will be the first to tell you I have eaten horribly for a week now….I plan on restarting Sun. morning and staying at it….I am wondering when you yo yo like I do and gain 20 lose 20 where exactly should you start?….how long should you stay in a deficit before you do a maintenance break?….I have got to learn how to maintain….John still tested positive this morning but my excess eating isn’t helping him recover so I might as well get back at it before I completely undo three years work!…someone just shoot me please!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    You’re under a lot of stress right now so it’s hard to focus. We’ve all been there ❣️
    Maybe just remembering to log and preplan some meals? Sometimes I just concentrate on getting through one day or a few hours at a time. Some days are good others are not great. Try for better and more good days.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Of course, the BIG win would be to get to a point where we don't turn to continuous munching when things go sideways.

Most of us are not quite there yet! :blush:

cabbage (coleslaw mix), lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cottage cheese since I know you actually tolerate it Connie, pickles, lean turkey or ham cuts, sugar free jello cups, jello sugar free puddings, fiber one treats by the box, yogurt and high fiber cereal by the tub, high protein low caloric value ice creams of various kinds at about 500 Cal or less per tub, or fudgesicles, or Connie using her baking prowess to deliberately create the holy grail: low calorie brownies using no butter, no flour, no sugar or the closest approximation possible!!!

vs

potato chips, crackers, nuts, good quality salami or sausage type cold cuts, cookies, candy and chocolate bars, normal ice cream tubs in the 1000+ Cal range

Most of us can use either "group" and munch on it for hours (or as close to it as makes no difference when you add up the calories in group two!)

One results in more limited damage.

I view it as "layers" of defense.

After sort of losing the battle for the day, I still try to retreat in as orderly a fashion as possible by concentrating on slowing down the total number of calories-in that get an opportunity to move in!