Random Acts of Questioning

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    You can only start where you're at today. It MAY really help if you slowly try to modify the "I'm either on" or "I'm off" attitude and just view it as continuous management.

That said... when life is as hectic as it is for you right now... it is hard to concentrate. But do try to remember that you're helping neither yourself nor anyone else by making yourself sick! :neutral:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    But where do I restart at?….what should I aim for?….I want to lose more than 1/2 lb a week….should I set my goal at one or two pound loss for the week?….I know any loss is better than gaining….I haven’t gotten weighed for about a week but I am probably at 280 again….that is 40 freaking pounds more than my lowest but still down 75 from my highest weight….I feel really defeated….
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Restart where you are today. You can always reset goals anytime. Why not try 1/2 lb. for the time being until you feel more in control? Some loss or even staying where you are right now is okay. Later when you’re ready you can try a bigger deficit.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Connie right now you're going through too much and with too little time to think, right?

So maybe not the best of times to get precise and complicated!

Aim for 1lb of loss a week to start...

... and take it from there depending on how much you are eating on a daily basis and how much you're actually losing as a result.

Long term you may really want to try and figure out what your approximate maintenance balancing point is. Not the theoretical one based on whatever activity setting you select on MFP etc... but, in general, how many calories do you eat and how does your weight change in response.

As long as you can tell me how many calories you've eaten over a span of 3 to 4 weeks and how much your weight has changed... we can come up with more exact figures.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Since I’ve lost most of my weight, I’ve been cold all the time. It doesn’t even get all that cold in central Texas! Socks, sweaters, blankets, turning up the furnace, hot tea - all help a little. But generally I am internally cold all the time in winter. Curiously, the awful summer heat last year didn’t seem as unbearable as usual.
    I suppose it’s because I’ve lost most of my insulation but doesn’t that level off after a while?
    Anyone else cold all the time? Why?🥶 So what do you do?
    (Sitting under a heated electric blanket right now although it’s 70F in the house)
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've heard that's a common side effect of significant weight loss Yooly, but it's not something I've personally experienced. I'm now only 8lbs from a 'normal' BMI so pretty close to my lowest ever weight, but not cold yet. We're having kerosene supply problems because of the Ukraine situation so we have no heating at all at the moment, and though the ground was icy this morning I feel comfortable in the house (last night we almost lit the logburner but since we're low on logs too we settled for putting on an extra sweater and snuggling under blankets). MIL is coming over tomorrow and staying the night so we'll have to use our last remaining kerosene to ratchet up the heat for her...then hope we can get a delivery!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    I experienced that also that past two winters, Yooly. Both colder in winter/fall/spring and able to tolerate the heat a bit better. This winter not so bad - but I think that is from putting on a bit of insulation rather than "levelling" off.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Hope you can stay warm Bella! And get the fuel you need to get you to spring warmth.
    I am very concerned about my relatives in Poland and some in Germany. Just an appalling situation.
  • jenniferelizabethwiseman
    Options
    Oh yeah, I have had that issue with being cold all the time since losing weight--It takes me FOREVER to fall asleep if my feet are cold, and it feels sometimes like the cold is deep in my bones. I find I can warm up best by having a cup of hot herbal tea and/or by taking a hot shower. And I have taken to wearing socks to bed.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Increased base level of activity, and significant time at maintenance, both seem to have improved things. Also loss was modulated (in my case to slower than Bella levels) and was slower than previous attempts that has resulted in even more intense reactions.

So issue was kept to a relative minimum and did resolve (substantially) with time. Only time I'm affected at this point is on truly sedentary days when I'm sitting all day.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Oh yeah, I have had that issue with being cold all the time since losing weight--It takes me FOREVER to fall asleep if my feet are cold, and it feels sometimes like the cold is deep in my bones. I find I can warm up best by having a cup of hot herbal tea and/or by taking a hot shower. And I have taken to wearing socks to bed.

I sleep in socks every nite….we are in Florida but I get cold easily….my husband sleeps under a sheet and I literally have a sheet, blanket, bedspread, quilt and another blanket on myself!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’ve decided it’s mainly an internal cold rather than external. Some days I can’t get warm no matter what. Activity doesn’t help. I even have a heated throw on my chair. It’s not just feet and hands but all over for me. I just think my thermostat is broken.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Well we're completely out of kerosene and logs, so it's a good job I'm not feeling the cold yet! Luckily temps haven't dropped below freezing at night for over a week, so spring is definitely here!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Oh, Bella.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Well we're completely out of kerosene and logs, so it's a good job I'm not feeling the cold yet! Luckily temps haven't dropped below freezing at night for over a week, so spring is definitely here!

Any chance of getting an electric heater or blankets? I take it you don’t have central heating? Might help to get you through a cold spring.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Any chance of getting an electric heater or blankets? I take it you don’t have central heating? Might help to get you through a cold spring.

We have central heating but all our radiators and hot water are fueled by an oil (kerosene) boiler. Hot water has an electricity back up, so we're fine with that.

We have three electric heaters but we've loaned them to MIL as she's also running short of kerosene and her need for warmth is greater than ours. We're keeping sufficiently warm during the day by keeping active, and at night we snuggle under blankets on the sofa and fight over who gets to have Norman on our lap. Dogs make great lap warmers!

Can't complain...they're having it a lot worse than us over in Ukraine, so if this ripple effect of disruption in the kerosene supply is the worst we have to cope with we can consider ourselves very lucky.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    You are the soul of kindness! Stay warm.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Hot and humid here as always….gas for cars was $4 a gallon today….
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Wow.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I want Norman. Just because of his name!!!! And some Laurie cake.... I mean liver and blueberry whipped cream 🤷🏻‍♂️ now THAT'S a combo worth discussing 😉😹