TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (November)

Options

Replies

• petrocoetsee
    petrocoetsee Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    pkg1998 wrote: »

WEEK 1 - Question of the week

Other than walking (which a lot of our team members do as shown in the step challenge), what types of exercise do you fit into your week? This is for me because I’m very good about walking on the treadmill, but I think I need to add something else.

Looking forward to your answers and good luck on this first week in November.

I train 5 days a week at the gym. 2 of the 5 days I train with a personal trainer. I started doing that for 2 reasons.
    1) I have an injured shoulder (frozen shoulder) and the dr wanted to do surgery, but I wasn't keen on it. I heard he was great with injuries and I wanted to try training before surgery.
    2) my limited knowledge of how to train on something else than a treadmill.
    The other 3 days I attend a grid group class. This consists of a series of exercises, mainly using own body weight. It involves squads, lunges, sit ups, arms, legs etc. The classes are HIIT.
    In the grid classes I actually use the training tips from my PT to maximise the benefits of these exercises.
    The problem I experienced first hand is that due to a lack of knowledge, we don't get all the benefits from training the way we should. For those of us that have quite a bit to loose, without good core exercises, we will have a lot of flab. Due to a big tummy and boobs and basically being unbalanced, my shoulders started hanging. My core wasn't strong enough. With the variety of exercises I do now, that is changing. I will have some flab, but not even close to what I expected to have.
    I would really recommend doing more than just walking on a treadmill. You don't have to go to a gym for any of these exercises. You don't need extra equipment. What you have in your house will be sufficient. There are numerous apps available to guide you on this.
  • p_mad
    p_mad Posts: 179 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    pkg1998 wrote: »

WEEK 1 - Question of the week

Other than walking (which a lot of our team members do as shown in the step challenge), what types of exercise do you fit into your week? This is for me because I’m very good about walking on the treadmill, but I think I need to add something else.

Looking forward to your answers and good luck on this first week in November.

I train 5 days a week at the gym. 2 of the 5 days I train with a personal trainer. I started doing that for 2 reasons.
    1) I have an injured shoulder (frozen shoulder) and the dr wanted to do surgery, but I wasn't keen on it. I heard he was great with injuries and I wanted to try training before surgery.
    2) my limited knowledge of how to train on something else than a treadmill.
    The other 3 days I attend a grid group class. This consists of a series of exercises, mainly using own body weight. It involves squads, lunges, sit ups, arms, legs etc. The classes are HIIT.
    In the grid classes I actually use the training tips from my PT to maximise the benefits of these exercises.
    The problem I experienced first hand is that due to a lack of knowledge, we don't get all the benefits from training the way we should. For those of us that have quite a bit to loose, without good core exercises, we will have a lot of flab. Due to a big tummy and boobs and basically being unbalanced, my shoulders started hanging. My core wasn't strong enough. With the variety of exercises I do now, that is changing. I will have some flab, but not even close to what I expected to have.
    I would really recommend doing more than just walking on a treadmill. You don't have to go to a gym for any of these exercises. You don't need extra equipment. What you have in your house will be sufficient. There are numerous apps available to guide you on this.

Do you have a core exercise that you prefer to any other core exercises? And what helped you lose weight the most- strength/resistance training or HIIT?
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    @GuessimGryffindor I forgot to respond earlier, but I have added you to the spreadsheet!

11/6/19
    Tracked: yes
    Under: yes
    Exercise: yes, 30 minutes bike
    Food: pre-planned & followed, only had to adjust weights of things
    Steps: 14,212
    Water: 147.6oz

Totally babying my back tonight. I lifted a box funny at work today and I felt some type of pop in the left side, and it instantly bothered me... I managed to make it through the day, and still managed to do the bike, but I am rubbing it and taking some ibuprofen before I go to sleep shortly.
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Tuesday 11.5.19
    Under yes
    Exercise:yes
    20 min Yoga
    30 min aerobics

Food Challenge: I actually had to change both lunch and dinner. I had planned on having salad for lunch and ended up running out of lettuce.
    For dinner I decided to have leftovers instead. I don't know why I didn't plan it that way to begin with. It all came out to the same calories so it wasn't a big deal in that aspect. I still have a few more days to keep the plan and stay in the challenge.
    Water:32oz
  • murdog3t
    murdog3t Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Nov 4&5
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: yes
    Step: 10776 & 11475
    Water:88 + oz each day
    69 min yoga 🧘‍♀️ & 🥾 hiking
    76 min yoga 🧘‍♂️ & 🥾 hiking

• p_mad
    Options
    Wednesday, 6 Nov
    Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge:
    Food logged:yes
    Under calories:yes
    Exercise:yes(20 min stroll in the park)

Steps:10,234
    Water:3.5L/118.35
  • petrocoetsee
    Options
    @p_mad , I don't have a preference to the core exercices. Some are easier than others, but in the end there are so many muscle groups working together, that you actually need a full body workout for maximum benefit. With regards to weight loss, cardio probably makes it quicker, but for longer term benefits, you "gain" more weight loss by strength training. You build more muscle that uses more energy (burn calories). It also helps with posture, flab etc. When I started with my weight loss journey September last year, I did a lot of walking with a little bit of weights/body exercises. Since March this year, I actually do it the other way. My weight loss is slower, but that is also due to having less to loose. Measurement wise, I am smiling. I have less flab and loose skin than expected
  • petrocoetsee
    Options
    11/0 Wednesday
    Mini challenge
    Tracked..yes
    Under... yes
    Exercise: yes - Grid class and treadmill at gym.

Other challenges:
    Steps:7167
    Water 80
  • p_mad
    Options
    @p_mad , I don't have a preference to the core exercices. Some are easier than others, but in the end there are so many muscle groups working together, that you actually need a full body workout for maximum benefit. With regards to weight loss, cardio probably makes it quicker, but for longer term benefits, you "gain" more weight loss by strength training. You build more muscle that uses more energy (burn calories). It also helps with posture, flab etc. When I started with my weight loss journey September last year, I did a lot of walking with a little bit of weights/body exercises. Since March this year, I actually do it the other way. My weight loss is slower, but that is also due to having less to loose. Measurement wise, I am smiling. I have less flab and loose skin than expected
    Thank you for your answer 🙂. I am so fickle-minded that I can hardly decide as to what routine I should follow, which results in inefficient weight loss. But I am hoping that working on my diet helps.

• cmhubbard92
    Options
    p_mad wrote: »
    Thank you for your answer 🙂. I am so fickle-minded that I can hardly decide as to what routine I should follow, which results in inefficient weight loss. But I am hoping that working on my diet helps.

@p_mad I also want to add to what @petrocoetsee said. Any strength training during weight loss will help aid in any "loose skin" problems that a lot of people losing weight.

That's one thing I am concerned about, because my total loss will be ~100 by the time I'm "done". I've been looking into doing strong curves or strong lifts 5x5... I just need to start!
  • cmhubbard92
    Options
    Looking for some weigh-ins from earlier in the week! It looks like we are currently standing in third place for this week! Let's start November off strong!

Sunday:
    @RogueBear1
    @sunshibe81

Monday:
    @heaz10
    @MelsLeanDream
    @ThunderGodKing

Wednesday:
    @Charfarrell87
    @LillyLandis
  • p_mad
    Options
    @cmhubbard92 I have heard good things about the 5x5 programme. I did the jamie eason’s livefit programme a few years ago and it helped a lot, even though I was not following the prescribed diet plan. Maybe you could look into that. In the meantime, it’s good old FitnessBlender for me 😅
  • Tracie_Lord
    Tracie_Lord Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    SAT NOV 2nd
    Tracked - yes
    Under - no; planned social event
    Steps: 9,867
    Water: 3250ml / 110 ounce
    Food - planned afternoon tea so over but expected
    Exercise - yes; 47 mins gym

SUN NOV 3rd
    Tracked - yes
    Under - yes
    Steps: 9,867
    Water: 4000ml /135 ounce
    Food - yes on plan totally :)
    Exercise - yes; 46 mins gym

MON Nov 4th
    Tracked - yes
    Under - yes
    Steps - 8,256
    Water: 4000ml / 135 ounce
    Food - yes on plan totally :)
    Exercise - yes; 1hr yoga

TUES Nov 5th
    Tracked - yes
    Under - Yes
    Steps - 8,109
    Water - 4000ml / 135 ounce
    Food - yes on plan
    Exercise - no rest day, but stairwalked to make up steps

WED Nov 6th
    Tracked - yes
    Under - Yes
    Steps - 11,252
    Water - 3250 / 110 ounce
    Food - yes totally on plan
    Exercise - yes, hard today 34 mins gym

SS updated :)
  • gboles79
    gboles79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    gboles79
    Steps 10,249
    Water 48 Oz
    11/6/19
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    Mini Challenge
    Wednesday 11.6.19
    Under: no
    Exercise: 30 min walk

Food: no- I didn't preplan for Wednesday because I knew I was going out to eat but wasn't sure where.

Water 12oz
  • stubbornloser
    stubbornloser Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Username: stubbornloser
    Weigh in week: 1 - Nov 7, 2019
    Weigh in day: Thursday
    Previous Week’s Weight: 203.2
    Today’s Weight: 202.4
  • cmhubbard92
    Options
    I’ll m so excited- I have to share a NSV!
    I went shopping for an outfit to wear to a stag and this weekend. And I bought jeans from a “regular” store! And I wasn’t even the largest size they have!! Oh the joy! It’s been 15 years since I’ve been able to shop in the regular stores. That was yesterday., and I’m still on cloud nine lol 😍

Congratulations on your NSV, that is a wonderful feeling! Also great loss this week!!! You're doing great!!!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    @stubbornloser - That’s awesome!! I’ve found that a lot of the time those NSV can feel even better than seeing a certain number on the scale
  • Nicoletime4me
    Nicoletime4me Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    November 7
    Weigh in day- Thursday
    Previous- 177
    Current- 178

Over did it by a little during my birthday (11/6) dinner yesterday. Sorry gang, will get back on track.
This discussion has been closed.