General Discussion

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I've personally been hesitant to go see a dietician due to my food intolerances. Yes, I know that plant-based eating makes weight-loss easier. Yes, I can think of all sorts of good moral and ethical and societal reasons for me to be vegetarian. And when eating a nice bunch of fried cabbage doesn't make me pray for death three hours later, and my body doesn't react to refried beans as though I have gastroenteritis, I'll eat my vegetables.

So I don't fit well into preconceived ideas of how to do things, and so I avoid situations like that. They're pretty triggering, in some ways.

I understand that 100%. I have multiple foods I need to stay away from due to medical reasons. Recently I was talking to a friend of mine who is vegan about trying to reduce my meat consumption and increase the amount of vegetarian/vegan meals. Even she was like "Yea... you are one person who needs meat options because otherwise you won't get enough protein." I can't have soy (allergy and medical reasons), lentils, or beans in large amounts.

Then you add in the IC diet restrictions I have had to restart and my able to eat list is much smaller. And a lot of medical professionals have never heard of the condition. It gets frustrating.

I get you. IC and IBS get treated as though we're just picky. Um, no. There's all sorts of things I'd love to cook and eat except for that one little problem of my gut.

Boyfriend's kind of in your position. He had weight loss surgery. And we've tried thick bean stews and it just has. not. worked. Only thing that works is meat.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I get you. IC and IBS get treated as though we're just picky. Um, no. There's all sorts of things I'd love to cook and eat except for that one little problem of my gut.

Boyfriend's kind of in your position. He had weight loss surgery. And we've tried thick bean stews and it just has. not. worked. Only thing that works is meat.

I am FAR from a picky eater so it gets on my nerves when people assume I am because I can't eat something. Sorry, I just don't want to be in PAIN.

I don't have a diagnosis for my stomach/digestive issues. Been putting it off because my diet is already so restricted I don't want to have to cut more out. Lentils destroy me every time I have them (cries over dahl). Beans I can do in small amounts, but only a couple times a week. I can have iceburg lettuce a few times a week (or even every day if it is a tiny amount like on sandwiches), romaine once or twice, spinach once or twice, but every other green gives me issues. Broccoli and Cauliflower are okay if cooked, but not raw.

It just stinks because I want to be able to eat all the foods and I just can't. It really messed with my mental health too, especially early on. Even now I have issues with food anxiety.

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Honestly doing a meticulous food-and-symptom diary for about six months helped me a lot, because then I was able to see what was giving me grief, and decide not to eat that. I know now that what I eat is safe.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,618 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all of you. Has anyone ever used a registered dietician as part of their weight loss journey in combination with MFP? I've been wondering about this and thinking this might be another tool to use with MFP. Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated.

Hi! I forgot who was asking about this for a bit! But here is the post I believe I mentioned to you earlier - the original poster is fine with me copying and pasting her post here. Certainly sounds like a very positive experience for her!

"Had a great appointment with a dietitian on Thursday. Would highly recommend especially if you have months of data in MFP. She took an hour to go through all my stats and what I normally eat in a week. Then full body and bone scan. She made some really good easy to implement suggestions. She is in agreement with my goal, wants to up my calories by 200 a day for the next six weeks with the aim to having me at about 1800 calories a day in maintenance. But is also looking to mix up my macros to better suit my age and body mass. Was just really good to have someone qualified spend an hour going through everything in detail."
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    On the subject of what @NovusDies mentioned; not always, but sometimes, I've noticed this myself. If I am in the "goodies" drawer and hitting the chocolate or ice cream or what have you and more more more.... well... eating a tangy pickle with some cheese or tuna or something totally sharply and contrasting in terms of taste which gets me out of the "mmmm tastes sooo good" state... seems to help me pull out of it!

This can sometimes work for me too. Always worth a try!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    On the subject of what @NovusDies mentioned; not always, but sometimes, I've noticed this myself. If I am in the "goodies" drawer and hitting the chocolate or ice cream or what have you and more more more.... well... eating a tangy pickle with some cheese or tuna or something totally sharply and contrasting in terms of taste which gets me out of the "mmmm tastes sooo good" state... seems to help me pull out of it!

Totally equated to this.... and then got to the part about trying something “ totally sharp & contrasting”! My mind isn’t there to do that when I’m off piste....I must look like a version of a1980’s style Pac-Man devouring all in their path 😂😂😬....sigh!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - Congratulations on the new life you are creating. You will make your way back here soon enough!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Bmeadows and new husband!....would love to see some pictures!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    @jwall956 - Good for you! Only way I can think of to inspire your hubby is to do it yourself and enjoy the results. Not suggesting he do it at all - leave it entirely up to him - nor making comments like "see if you got up you would feel this too." (that wouldn't work for me in a million years - I would only sink deeper into those couch cushions...lol).

But - if he sees you enjoying the movement and enjoying some weightloss as a side benefit perhaps he will want to try too?
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    @jwall956 - Good for you! Only way I can think of to inspire your hubby is to do it yourself and enjoy the results. Not suggesting he do it at all - leave it entirely up to him - nor making comments like "see if you got up you would feel this too." (that wouldn't work for me in a million years - I would only sink deeper into those couch cushions...lol).

But - if he sees you enjoying the movement and enjoying some weightloss as a side benefit perhaps he will want to try too?

I second this. I started walking and running at the beginning of lockdown last year, added in some yoga, started trying to do push-ups. My husband wasn't interested, and I never pushed it, but he was impressed with my new muscles and how I went from nothing to running a few miles. Some time in winter, he randomly/secretly decided to start exercising, and now is super into doing daily push-ups, squats, and rows. He's been doing it ever since, and now talks about it allllllll the time :lol:

But I think had I pushed it at all, it would have turned him off of it (I know it would have for me!). Do your thing, be awesome, and it might inspire him to do the same. (And it might not, and that's okay too!)
  • jwall956
    jwall956 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advise!