SHRINKING ASSETS JANUARY CHAT

Options

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    So I have been for my run and it was cold outside so I kept it short, stopped at the shop, went from the cold outside inside my warm house which keeps out the cold, then put somethings I had bought into a smaller cold house to keep them away from the warm, I then took some other things from my smaller cold house and put them into an even smaller warmer house so I can eat them.
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    Options
    Good morning @CatherineElizabeth13 or good afternoon for me. I will be glad when my meeting is over and I can go home. Really need some r&r right now. If I can fit a run in first that would be awesome. How are you doing?

Plans for the weekend - work! One of the shareholders wants a briefing, at their house, on Sunday morning! See where we get to tomorrow before calling more than that.

I'm not too bad. I've struggled a lot with food this week. I've been chained to my desk all week with Court deadlines and so many defences and witness evidence due. I've been eating all sorts of rubbish.

I guess January is a hectic month in a lot of industries!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ohio where the weather changes hourly... But this is NOT January weather

d3ic6y2k0gj6.png
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    I just met with a nutritional therapist (or registered dietician, I just learned this week there might be a difference in these terms in English, I went to see the kind that has a university degree on nutrition and is certified by the state). My head is spinning, there's so much going on, the lady was very intense and I sat there for more than an hour.

We did do some goal-setting, with the primary goal being stopping weight gain, and then losing first 5kg and eventually 20kg. We also set the goal of making sure I have a balanced diet with all necessary nutrients, which I can't take for granted with my IBS.

The tools to do this would be to even out my meal schedule so that there are 3-5 hours between meals, not less or more. Honestly I'm not sure what this has to do with things, but apparently it's important. Other tools are to decrease average calorie density of my foods and upping activity/exercise to an hour per day.

We scheduled our next appointment to exactly three weeks from today, and my "homework" for this time is to find a way to eat a more nutritious afternoon snack and trying to increase the average amount of veggies in my dinner to 50%. Let's see how this goes.

The most concrete take-away information from the hour was that according to her, foods with less than 150cal/100g are pretty much free to eat as much as I want, foods with more than 350cal/100g should be only eaten very consciously. This will be an interesting 3 weeks.

I applaud you taking the initiative to meet with them. That is a big step I still haven't made.

So although I am not keto, I have been doing more low carb meals and found this video to be really helpful as I am on the go all the time and don't have time to make large meals like I used to. I am slowly adding more to my meals, but the spice combos he goes over are really nice to help with flavor profiles.
    https://youtu.be/MgZYICVMAhY

Good luck!

Thanks @LovebyDraug69 ! The day I learned my company healthcare includes 3 dietician appointments per year if the nurse or doctor recommends it is the day I booked an appointment with the nurse to get a referral. I watched the first couple of minutes of the video, it looks really interesting. I’m not planning on going keto, but filling 50% of plate with veggies is exactly what I need to do. It was kinda eye-opening to go through yesterday’s food logs and seeing that while my lunches usually have enough veggies, my breakfast and evening snacks have zero, and dinner not nearly enough. While weight loss is all about calories, I want to take this opportunity to learn healthy eating habits that can carry me long into my future.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I just met with a nutritional therapist (or registered dietician, I just learned this week there might be a difference in these terms in English, I went to see the kind that has a university degree on nutrition and is certified by the state). My head is spinning, there's so much going on, the lady was very intense and I sat there for more than an hour.

We did do some goal-setting, with the primary goal being stopping weight gain, and then losing first 5kg and eventually 20kg. We also set the goal of making sure I have a balanced diet with all necessary nutrients, which I can't take for granted with my IBS.

The tools to do this would be to even out my meal schedule so that there are 3-5 hours between meals, not less or more. Honestly I'm not sure what this has to do with things, but apparently it's important. Other tools are to decrease average calorie density of my foods and upping activity/exercise to an hour per day.

We scheduled our next appointment to exactly three weeks from today, and my "homework" for this time is to find a way to eat a more nutritious afternoon snack and trying to increase the average amount of veggies in my dinner to 50%. Let's see how this goes.

The most concrete take-away information from the hour was that according to her, foods with less than 150cal/100g are pretty much free to eat as much as I want, foods with more than 350cal/100g should be only eaten very consciously. This will be an interesting 3 weeks.

I applaud you taking the initiative to meet with them. That is a big step I still haven't made.

So although I am not keto, I have been doing more low carb meals and found this video to be really helpful as I am on the go all the time and don't have time to make large meals like I used to. I am slowly adding more to my meals, but the spice combos he goes over are really nice to help with flavor profiles.

Good luck!

@hipari I hope you found the nutritionist’s advice useful. Good luck on your journey.

Unfortunately I didn’t find my dietician very useful.

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and sluggish thyroid at the beginning of last year, my dr (who is a great dr) asked what I thought of keto as a solution until I reminded her I have no gallbladder so would have a hard time digesting that level of healthy fats; she gave me a list of dieticians she considers good, but here in Australia I think they pretty much all follow standard/official government health guidelines which have only been modified slightly in the last forty years since the “food pyramid” and still are fairly orientated around a high carb low fat diet (and there is no solid evidence that this advice is any good for weightloss).

My dietician was okay about my need to go low-carb for insulin resistance, but made it clear she thinks keto is “bad” (imho an uninformed opinion as there are sections of our community & people I know who do very well on it, particularly to help with certain health issues, even if it’s not the right solution for me personally).

She made up a meal plan that involved eating 5-6 times a day (breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack) which doesn’t make sense if trying to lower insulin levels. Also I didn’t want a meal plan (and had said as much); I wanted the basic principles so I could follow them in a way that suits me. Personally I find meal plans annoying because it is easier to modify recipes I already know and enjoy to fit the principles than it is to go learn a heap of new recipes that suit someone else’s tastes and often use unfamiliar ingredients and techniques - yet it seems just about every dietician and weight loss program revolves around a meal plan.

So in the end I never used her advice. What I did find helpful was reading “The Obesity Code” by Dr Jason Fung, which advocates a LCHF wholefood diet and intermittent fasting. Simple principals I found fairly easy to follow, without being didactic. This way of eating allowed me to reverse my insulin resistance and sluggish thyroid, as well as lose over 100lbs. I don’t think my dieticians meal plan would have achieved the same.
  • Luciicul
    Options
    @LovebyDraug69 I just got to the part in the video where he is explaining simple flavour combinations, and mentions Australia, Canada and America. Too funny!

Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • hipari
    Options
    Luciicul wrote: »

Good luck!

@hipari I hope you found the nutritionist’s advice useful. Good luck on your journey.

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and sluggish thyroid at the beginning of last year, my dr (who is a great dr) asked what I thought of keto as a solution until I reminded her I have no gallbladder so would have a hard time digesting that level of healthy fats; she gave me a list of dieticians she considers good, but here in Australia I think they pretty much all follow standard/official government health guidelines which have only been modified slightly in the last forty years since the “food pyramid” and still are fairly orientated around a high carb low fat diet (and there is no solid evidence that this advice is any good for weightloss).

My dietician was okay about my need to go low-carb for insulin resistance, but made it clear she thinks keto is “bad” (imho an uninformed opinion as there are sections of our community & people I know who do very well on it, particularly to help with certain health issues, even if it’s not the right solution for me personally).

She made up a meal plan that involved eating 5-6 times a day (breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack) which doesn’t make sense if trying to lower insulin levels. Also I didn’t want a meal plan (and had said as much); I wanted the basic principles so I could follow them in a way that suits me. Personally I find meal plans annoying because it is easier to modify recipes I already know and enjoy to fit the principles than it is to go learn a heap of new recipes that suit someone else’s tastes and often use unfamiliar ingredients and techniques - yet it seems just about every dietician and weight loss program revolves around a meal plan.

So in the end I never used her advice. What I did find helpful was reading “The Obesity Code” by Dr Jason Fung, which advocates a LCHF wholefood diet and intermittent fasting. Simple principals I found fairly easy to follow, without being didactic. This way of eating allowed me to reverse my insulin resistance and sluggish thyroid, as well as lose over 100lbs. I don’t think my dieticians meal plan would have achieved the same.

@Luciicul sorry you had a bad experience! My nutritionist was also clearly following the standard recommendations, which we call the ”plate model”. It’s basially 50% veggies, fruit or berries, 25% protein and 25% carbs (potato/pasta/rice etc.). The recommendation of 50% veggies or fruit seems legit and as I eat huge amounts of food volume, the most comfortable method to decrease calorie content seems to be decreasing calorie density -> veggies, here I come.

I think a lot of the recommendations, like your nutritionist thinking keto is bad, come from a place of ”healthiest on a population level”, which doesn’t mean keto is bad for everyone, it’s just not as good on the whole population as the recommended diet.
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    kilobykilo wrote: »
    Kilobykilo
    Thursday (but weds today as I'm out of town tomorrow)
    PW: 184.8
    CW: 184.4

Not the usually january whoosh I'd like..... but I've not gone into usual January mode so I'll take any kind of loss!

@boehle @Beka3695 I weighed in a day early this week as I'm in a hotelnwothout scales until tomorrow :)

Happy weekend everyone :)
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday 😘 in WI dealing over 50 MPH winds, power out in some areas and bridges are icing over and it hasn't even started snowing yet until later this afternoon.
    So I received my blood tests back, and my cholesterol is high so now I need to try to lower my numbers as I don't want to go on medication. I've been reading up on it, and I don't like legumes, beans at all....so now, I have to try to find items that I do like to get it lowered w/in the next 3 mos....
    I am trying to incorporate more exercise....I made it to the gym 3x this week so far which is a win for me....plus walked for over 30 min during lunch 4x this week...any other tips, let me know....
    Stay safe if you're in the track for storms/snow😘
  • hipari
    Options
    Happy Saturday 😘 in WI dealing over 50 MPH winds, power out in some areas and bridges are icing over and it hasn't even started snowing yet until later this afternoon.
    So I received my blood tests back, and my cholesterol is high so now I need to try to lower my numbers as I don't want to go on medication. I've been reading up on it, and I don't like legumes, beans at all....so now, I have to try to find items that I do like to get it lowered w/in the next 3 mos....
    I am trying to incorporate more exercise....I made it to the gym 3x this week so far which is a win for me....plus walked for over 30 min during lunch 4x this week...any other tips, let me know....
    Stay safe if you're in the track for storms/snow😘

@LaurieWrobo good luck with the cholesterol! Let us know how things turn out.

It’s also really bad weather here, but that resulted in what I feel like was a super responsible choice in many ways. I spent the day in a scouting seminar/planning day on a cottage in the middle of the woods, and I had promised two people a ride back to town tonight. These people are still students (one in high school, one in college) and expressed clearly that they don’t have a lot of money. Then, at maybe 6PM, a friend mentioned that he’s also driving home tonight instead of his planned tomorrow, because it should start raining in a couple of hours and the driving conditions would get pretty bad. Maybe 15mins later, as we were cooking dinner for the whole group (maybe 15-20 people), the menu planners realized they forgot to buy rice and that the vegetable curry alone wouldn’t be enough to feed everyone without the rice they didn’t have. This is where my responsible, college-graduated salary-earning self woke up and I pretty much just told those two students to gather their stuff and that we would be leaving. With 3 less people to feed, the group probably had enough food for the rest, and I stopped on the way back and bought the students (and myself) ResQ* take-out meals to take home for dinner. So, everyone got (hopefully enough) food, nobody spent more money that they could afford, and I drove home safely while the weather was still decent.

*I love the concept of ResQ, which is an app where restaurants can list meals that would otherwise be left over and thrown out. The prices are very discounted (I don’t know the regular pricing of the place we got the food from, but I’m guessing it was around 40% of original price), and in the app you can see all the restaurants with offers in a map with meal listings. You just choose what you want, order and pay through the app, and then go pick it up before the time listed in your order (usually closing time of the restaurant). So, to make my choice even more responsible, this choice also reduced food waste.
  • Luciicul
    Options
    Luciicul wrote: »

Good luck!

@Luciicul sorry you had a bad experience! My nutritionist was also clearly following the standard recommendations, which we call the ”plate model”. It’s basially 50% veggies, fruit or berries, 25% protein and 25% carbs (potato/pasta/rice etc.). The recommendation of 50% veggies or fruit seems legit and as I eat huge amounts of food volume, the most comfortable method to decrease calorie content seems to be decreasing calorie density -> veggies, here I come.

I think a lot of the recommendations, like your nutritionist thinking keto is bad, come from a place of ”healthiest on a population level”, which doesn’t mean keto is bad for everyone, it’s just not as good on the whole population as the recommended diet.

Absolutely, it's not that my nutritionist/dietician was completely wrong - she did have some knowledge and insights, and some of her suggestions I was already doing (and still do) - but that if I want general population advice I can already get that free anywhere, and if I go see a specialist 1:1 (and am paying out of pocket for that) then advice should be personalised.

I eat lots of veggies too, often more than 50% of the plate, but fewer carbs (no grains, legumes in moderation only, stick to lower carb vegetables, rarely eat fruit but do eat berries - which are higher in fibre with fewer net carbs) and I have increased my healthy fats after a lifetime of believing all fat was bad but now knowing that its the type of fat that matters (instead of sticking to lean cuts of meats, also eating fattier cuts which often have more nutrition, eating more avocado, not being so worried about amount of olive oil used in cooking, etc). I also eat dairy, nuts and seeds - which I used to be worried about for the fat & calorie load - but now find fits fine into my regular diet as long as I don't go overboard.

The dairy is a bit of a big mindshift for me, because for so many years I ate low-fat yoghurt, and it was very hard for me to switch to full-fat yoghurt because I was so used to thinking in terms of needing fewer calories and fat - but my new conviction about the value of wholefoods meant I made the leap (even if I was nervous about it).

Some of the strictness in terms of which vegetables and fruits I eat might be able to be relaxed now I'm aiming for maintenance, but I had to be strict to reverse the insulin resistance and lose the excess body fat. I'll still be sticking to the low-carb wholefood principles though, or else I'm at risk of regaining and getting insulin resistance again (though I think it is processed high-carb foods that are the most damaging for that - and I won't be eating them again).

I think that's why all this stuff does need to be personalised, because different people will have different needs, and even the one person will have different needs at different points in their life.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,089 Member
    Options
    I am here, because I am Born To Nag!
    And because @Beka3695 is very, very busy - wait 'til you see the photos of the baby shower! And @boehle is super busy too :heart:

So now I'll get down to nagging.
    q2kiw8i7pbf9.jpg

Last chance for this week's weigh-ins!

These people have not posted at all in January, and you need to weigh in or you will be moved off the active team list:
    @DontGoChasingWaterfalls
    @dougb756
    @amberbburden
    @cdbivensjones
    @DanMillward68
    You know you don't want to lose this chance, so get those numbers in - good, bad, ugly, or fantastic - by the end of Saturday wherever you live. We're all hoping you'll get active with this team and crush those goals!

Three are just late...
    @kmargut
    @Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    @ells_runs

and two are due today:
    @DanMillward68
    @ClaireCorry786

Tallies happen bright and early Sunday morning! Don't make me come looking for you...
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Options
    PW 349
    CW 348.6
  • kmargut
    kmargut Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @kmargut
    Thur
    Pw: 245.2
    Cw:245

Sorry I am so late! Busy last few days with my son before he leaves for basic training on Tues. So many dinners out, visiting the Pa state farm show and just putting all my energy into spending time with him. I did go to the gym with him too! Hopefully will be back on track next week with my meal planning. Loved logging in tonight and seeing all the fur baby pics!
  • hipari
    Options
    I think I should join the step challenge as well! The dietician said I should try to up my average to 9000 steps per day, so maybe the challenge will help me.

Here’s the entire January so far, although I’m not sure if the first week qualifies anymore:
    1.1. 5505
    2.1. 6521
    3.1. 8490
    4.1. 5726
    5.1. 15 830

6.1. 6256
    7.1. 6069
    8.1. 10 261
    9.1. 9672
    10.1 7593
    11.1. 5762
This discussion has been closed.