2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    It’s really shocking to read how widespread the abuse this woman was put through. I hope the Me Too movement has stopped the harassment that women in academia and other workplaces suffer.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I'll not be working this week. After the State released its colored instruction map, the regional health department notified the Supt. of our local district that we had a big outbreak during the weekend. This is possibly traced to a reopening restaurant that decided to host a free all-day Thanksgiving Dinner so people could celebrate together. They did this despite the Senior Center and School System not hosting the sit-down dinner this year and, instead, had a drive thru where people could pick meals up in their car. The restaurant widely promote it and some of us wondered why they would do it. The days off will permit thorough contact tracing, but no doubt students may have come in contact with the spreaders.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Jean - people are NUTS!! Just nuts! I'm sorry you won't be working this week!
  • mdubbs1
    It's almost 10 am and I've accomplished nothing except tracking down an amazon delivery on a neighbor's porch, letting amazon know I found it (no thanks to them), notifying everyone I sent Cheryl's cookies to that the tracking isn't looking promising and if they get stale cookies please don't hesitate to let me know, checking the status of my online grocery order, checking the status of my ebay and amazon packages, responding to an "in memory of" donation that was a shock, updating my accounts (which I do every morning), checking emails and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. Christmas as a grownup is pretty much bah humbug.

• mdubbs1
    It's gonna snow:

'McConnell congratulates Biden on his win; Biden heading to Ga. to campaign for Senate hopefuls'

(Actually it is going to snow here. LOL!)
  • mdubbs1
    piu0oj7i8zqa.png
  • Helene610
    We’re supposed to get snow tomorrow night too. Depending on where the rain/ snow lines falls, we could get 5 inches or just rain. I’m hoping for rain. We did the grocery store run today so we can stay home for several days in case it’s snow. We have a guy who does the driveway. We hired him years ago so our cat sitter could get into the house even if the weather was bad. This will be the first time we personally benefit if it really is snow. DH isn’t supposed to shovel because of his heart condition. And I’ve always hated shoveling and getting wet and cold. The market wasn’t that bad. By tomorrow, people will be in the bread and milk panic shopping.
  • Helene610
    KonaKat wrote: »
    I'll not be working this week. After the State released its colored instruction map, the regional health department notified the Supt. of our local district that we had a big outbreak during the weekend. This is possibly traced to a reopening restaurant that decided to host a free all-day Thanksgiving Dinner so people could celebrate together. They did this despite the Senior Center and School System not hosting the sit-down dinner this year and, instead, had a drive thru where people could pick meals up in their car. The restaurant widely promote it and some of us wondered why they would do it. The days off will permit thorough contact tracing, but no doubt students may have come in contact with the spreaders.
    I hope the authorities have some way of punishing this restaurant. Putting so many people at risk is beyond nuts. I hope nobody who went dies because of their stupidity.

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    My sister just learned that she has been exposed to the virus. She’s been extremely careful but yesterday she visited a friend to drop off a plate of homemade treats and stayed to visit for awhile. Today her friend’s husband tested positive and their doctor told them to expect both to get the virus although the wife tested negative today. My sister is really disappointed because they had planned to attend her oldest daughter’s college graduation ceremony on Saturday that was postponed from last May and they were also planning to attend a wedding for a close friend. We are hoping she doesn’t get it, but she’s really worried.

I’m getting my Prolia injection tomorrow afternoon and I will probably stop at the grocery store while I’m out. Today I took our gifts and shipped them down to the family in Houston, so I think I’m done with all my holiday related chores. The news media has made a point of saying today was the last day to ship things to ensure they arrive before Christmas or I would have waited and done it tomorrow while I was out anyway. I asked for the least expensive shipping option that would get them there by Christmas, and it turned out to be FedEx and they will arrive tomorrow. Makes me wonder why they are saying it’s critical to ship everything so early.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    We’re supposed to get snow tomorrow night too. Depending on where the rain/ snow lines falls, we could get 5 inches or just rain. I’m hoping for rain. We did the grocery store run today so we can stay home for several days in case it’s snow. We have a guy who does the driveway. We hired him years ago so our cat sitter could get into the house even if the weather was bad. This will be the first time we personally benefit if it really is snow. DH isn’t supposed to shovel because of his heart condition. And I’ve always hated shoveling and getting wet and cold. The market wasn’t that bad. By tomorrow, people will be in the bread and milk panic shopping.

My cardiologist says no one over 50 should shovel snow but I can't seem to convince DH that that means US.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    My sister just learned that she has been exposed to the virus. She’s been extremely careful but yesterday she visited a friend to drop off a plate of homemade treats and stayed to visit for awhile. Today her friend’s husband tested positive and their doctor told them to expect both to get the virus although the wife tested negative today. My sister is really disappointed because they had planned to attend her oldest daughter’s college graduation ceremony on Saturday that was postponed from last May and they were also planning to attend a wedding for a close friend. We are hoping she doesn’t get it, but she’s really worried.

I’m getting my Prolia injection tomorrow afternoon and I will probably stop at the grocery store while I’m out. Today I took our gifts and shipped them down to the family in Houston, so I think I’m done with all my holiday related chores. The news media has made a point of saying today was the last day to ship things to ensure they arrive before Christmas or I would have waited and done it tomorrow while I was out anyway. I asked for the least expensive shipping option that would get them there by Christmas, and it turned out to be FedEx and they will arrive tomorrow. Makes me wonder why they are saying it’s critical to ship everything so early.

I'll think good thoughts for your sister!

Shipping. What they promise and what actually happens are two very different things. At any time, but a hundred fold more right now.
  • Helene610
    We’re waiting for something that was supposed to arrive at the Post Office Monday. I’ve had a couple of updates saying it will take longer than expected and it’s still in transit. It chalked it up to higher demand and staff shortages due to Covid. It’s not a Christmas gift so whenever it arrives is fine.
  • mdubbs1
    I went to the dentist again yesterday. The treatment he'd had me doing cleared up the gum and localized the pain so he was able to pinpoint a split tooth. He did something to it (I always make them knock me out), essentially removing the broken piece. I'm to keep doing the gum treatment, take a week of antibiotics and go back in January. I haven't had the guts to try biting anything on that side.

Late last evening I went to the pharmacy to pick up the prescription. I got up early this morning to feed before it snowed. Turned out it didn't start until 10. Daggone weathermen anyway! We're to get anywhere from an inch to 6 inches depending on where you read. I have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow afternoon so I hope it stops tonight and they get the roads cleared. Down south here, it's amazing how even a tiny bit of snow brings the world to a halt.

The birds are super active at the feeders today..... they are always busy during the snow.
  • Helene610
    We went out to go to the bank, get rid of the trash and to the Dollar store for batteries. The bank sent an email saying as of Sunday, access to the bank itself is by appointment only. It’s part of the step back on opening during Covid. Numbers are up so rules on restaurants, gyms, salons, etc. are going back a phase to help cut infection rates. We don’t have trash pick up so we wanted to make a dump trip before the storm. I bought a CD player at Big Lots recently. I can listen to an audio book using the battery mode if we lose the power. Now I’m home until after the storm.
  • mdubbs1
    Our local bank branch has been closed for months.

The CROM bank folks called me to tell me it's open by appointment. I almost never go there. It's not right here. We chose it because my best friend's family has been associated with it for aeons and we got a good deal.
  • mdubbs1
    1dxe756dx5uh.png
  • mdubbs1
    r5nsa2c3uole.png
  • mdubbs1
    "Here's my 10 years old grumpy lady, finally cancer free!"

3byi3z9bxhdr.png

(Our Jack had a nosectomy so this photo really spoke to me. His problem was non cancerous growths but the solution was the same. That was two years ago and he's going strong.)
  • KonaKat
    Our bank which has branches in three counties has been closed for months. Business is conducted through the drive thru.

I had my primary appointment yesterday at 4:30pm. It was raining when I went in but it quickly changed to huge flakes, of which people were rushing to take pics except yours truly. The appointment went well as expected with the familiar words, "See you in three months."

I heard a weather person say that in this "storm," that a 50 mile distance could make the difference between rain, snow showers and a doozy!
  • KonaKat
    I see we have one county on the State map that is green. Knowing that county, I doubt that is real. I would say those that think they have the virus are staying home and not being tested, but those that are concerned that they might have it despite no symptoms went for testing with many found to be negative. This lowered the positivity rate. Since the map goes by the lower figure of infection versus positivity, then the low positivity number resulted in them being green. Any math person knows how to manipulate data.