2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I have a package that is supposed to arrive today. It has been sightseeing all around the Dallas/Fort Worth area for the past 3 days. It isn’t a christmas gift so it doesn’t really matter when it gets here, but I’m amused at the very circuitous route the package is taking.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    edited December 2020
    Helene610 wrote: »
    BIL mailed us his homemade cookies December 12th. They still haven’t shown up. We were at the Post Office yesterday but no package. We’re going down today as this is the last chance before Christmas. They’ll probably be stale if they ever show up. The worst part is the time and effort he put into baking them. What a disappointment all around.

Interestingly the baked goods my BIL sent - and which got here by the scenic route - are pretty good. I'm thinking maybe they were sitting somewhere cold.
  • PamS53
    Merry Christmas, ladies! I hope you all have a nice day and I’m looking forward to a happier new year ahead!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Greetings, friends. I hope you are enjoying your day in the manner that makes it special for you.

When 2020 began, little did we know of the challenges that would be presented to us in the months ahead. It is so easy to become disappointed that we cannot celebrate with friends and relatives in the traditional manner. Thanks to technology, however, we are able to be with each other virtually.

It is a time to focus upon the positives and hope and pray that 2021 will be better.

Merry Christmas!
  • mdubbs1
    Nothing very special going on here! I'll probably take a break and read for awhile, something I don't ordinarily do during the day.
  • PamS53
    The only “special” thing going on here is I am prepping a ham to cook for dinner and getting ready to bake a cherry pie for dessert. I consider myself to be a pretty good baker, but pie has always been my nemesis. For Christmas this year I asked for and received some tools that will hopefully help me in my efforts.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Good luck with the pie. I bought a Christmas spiral ham dinner from our local market. It came with a lemon meringue pie. We just spoke to the NJ relatives that we usually spend the holidays with. We’re doing well and are in positive spirits in spite of Covid. DH loved to go to midnight mass on Christmas Eve. All the churches now do it around 10 pm rather than midnight. We’re only doing Mass on TV during the pandemic. We discovered a Catholic channel in our cable line up so we watched the Pope saying Mass last night in Italian at St Peter’s Basilica. It was a lovely touch to our Christmas for two.
  • mdubbs1
    My mom wasn't a gourmet cook but bake? Oh, my heavens, yes. I've never really tried.
  • Helene610
    I don’t bake either. DH keeps trying to guilt me into making an eggnog pie. His mother used to make it. So far, I’ve resisted the suggestion. I like to cook but I’m not a baker. He refuses to understand those skills are entirely different.
  • PamS53
    ul1mrr09vfc8.jpeg
    We haven’t tasted it yet, but it looks better than most of my other efforts.
  • mdubbs1
    edited December 2020
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I don’t bake either. DH keeps trying to guilt me into making an eggnog pie. His mother used to make it. So far, I’ve resisted the suggestion. I like to cook but I’m not a baker. He refuses to understand those skills are entirely different.

When we first got married, I fretted over making things his mom made even if they sounded awful (there was something disgusting she made with filet mignon as I recall and I'd never desecrate filet mignon like that). Someone suggested I let those be things he went home for and mentally that's sort of what I did.

I have my mom's peach pie recipe and if I could ever get my hands on a decent peach I might be tempted but I haven't seen a decent peach in decades.

She wrote it for me on a recipe card. One of the few things I have in her (impeccable) handwriting. It also has a note about where it came from. One of the two town doctors gave it to my grandmother when she came to help after my baby brother's birth.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - it looks to die for!
  • Helene610
    That pie looks like a photo in a cookbook spread. I’ll bet it’s delicious as well.
  • PamS53
    It turned out pretty good. The crust wasn’t perfectly crimped and collapsed a bit in a few places, but overall, it was a pretty good effort. It definitely tastes good and DH is very happy with it. My sister is very good with pies and she says I just need to practice. DH is onboard for that, lol! Maybe I’ll try an apple pie next time. I love a Dutch Apple pie with the crumb topping. Of course, that also requires vanilla ice cream, which is not good for my waistline or diet.
  • mdubbs1
    The "main" store I order from these days makes a mean apple crumb pie which is what I've been feeding DH for the most part.

Except for the week it arrived upside down in the bag and mushed over everything. The driver, bless his heart, pitched the pie and cleaned off the other items. Along with processing a refund.
  • mdubbs1
    Straight No Chaser singing All About the Bass. This is cute:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rbYABxnOey4?list=RDrbYABxnOey4
  • mdubbs1

Chris Cillizza
    @CillizzaCNN
    1. Sends text to self to make sure I don’t forget something

2. Sees message that I have a new text and IMMEDIATELY thinks “who the hell is texting me at this hour?”
  • PamS53
    r8zx7jfpzo87.jpeg
    Very sad. And to use one of his favorite words, disgraceful!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    2021: It has to be better!!
  • mdubbs1
    We're certainly not doing ourselves proud. I looked at the footage of millions of us waiting in lines in airports over the holidays and thought that if all our health care workers decided to just stay home, who could blame them? They are sacrificing SO much.