WAISTAWAYS January 2020 Chat

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 9,836 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    Oh man, last night's workout kicked my butt. All arm stuff, and me with my noodle arms that still struggle with light weight. XD

No but I can actually feel some muscle in my upper arm which is good. And I've learned that I can get through most difficult exercises by singing old camp songs in my head. I used to be a marching band geek so I know a lot of very silly tunes.

I only have one appointment left with my trainer and then I have to decide what to do next. I'm not sure.

Old camp songs, marching band music (my personal fave for horrible workouts), it's amazing what can fill our weird little heads during a workout. I hope you can keep seeing a trainer something like once a month. Setting up a program you then do yourself but with monthly checkups got me through for years. Without it, I got lazy. More than that was too costly. I could do my workouts at home or at the gym - there were 2 versions for some of the exercises - and it kept me somewhat motivated, even when I really didn't feel like it.
  • cedarfoxy
    cedarfoxy Posts: 68 Member
    edited January 2020
    When I first set up my account, I saw a place where the steps and exercise can be discounted from caloric intake. I can't find it now but want to turn it off. Help?

Home > Settings > My Goals
    Down at the bottom, you can toggle on/off
  • cedarfoxy
    Hi all! Em here. I'm 33, nonbinary and have a long history of disordered eating. I was doing really well for quite a while, not weighing and holding steady at 165 lbs, but a new relationship and way of eating has lead me to around 220. This is the highest weight that I've been, and if not for the health complications, I'd be okay with how I look. But I'm getting really fatigued, my pain is worse, my breathing sucks at night, and I get heartburn! I miss being strong and active and I'm just tired of it. I'm really busy with a doctoral program, being a teaching assistant, and having major roles for two volunteer organizations. Plus, I'm a newly graduated acupuncturist, and I'm trying to start my practice.

I've been half-heartedly doing the Body for Life program for just over a week and I'm tired of half assed results, so I'm going to step it up. I'm going to do my workouts in the morning, go to bed early, eat good nutrition to support my recovery and go hard for the next 10.5 weeks so I can build a habit and make a change in my body. I care less about the number and more about my ability. I want to be able to do a multi day hike, so I'll be training for that in a month or two when the weather clears.

My goals for this group and challenge are to eat better (more veggies, less sugar), move more (aim for 6/week workouts), sleep more (7.5+ hours/night), and do 8000+ steps per day. I expect this will result in weight loss, but that is secondary. I want to actively avoid becoming obsessed with weighing (only weigh in once per week), and avoid disordered eating behaviours (fasting, purging, overexercise, being secretive, focusing on numbers too much). I want to have a good time being active, and recognize that I have the rest of my life to live in this body, so I'm going to be good to it.

PW: 220.8
    CW: 221.8

I'm currently based in the Pacific Northwest, so folks in my area, hit me up! I'm also open to friends who have a history of disordered eating, but please recognize that I'm here for recovery, so I may unfriend you if I find I'm being triggered. Gotta take care of myself. 🙂
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,038 Member
    Pizza is my absolute favorite food ever and I could probably eat it everyday! Never have I ever turned pizza down! But today I did!!! Work bought a ton of pizzas today for everyone and I chose to heat up my lunch I brought from home (ground turkey, green beans, fire roasted tomatoes, and spices). My lunch was delicious and I sat in the lunchroom where everyone else was eating pizza. I am so proud of my self control!

Gotta say your lunch sounded so much nicer!
  • cedarfoxy
    Steps so far (if I can still join the step challenge)

Jan 1 - 1649
    Jan 2 - 3994
    Jan 3 - 1928
    Jan 4 - 8193
    Jan 5 - 6011
    Jan 6 - 2087
    Jan 7 - 7211
  • YinxFed
    Steps interim report

Monday - 2454
    Tuesday - 4706

You know what? I think I need to re-visit my grand ideas of having a 10K daily goal. I don't even remember when that last happened - other than being away on holiday!

Can I please bring my target down to 7000 steps a day?

Sorry to be a pain! :/
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,245 Member
    YinxFed wrote: »
    Steps interim report

Monday - 2454
    Tuesday - 4706

You know what? I think I need to re-visit my grand ideas of having a 10K daily goal. I don't even remember when that last happened - other than being away on holiday!

Can I please bring my target down to 7000 steps a day?

Sorry to be a pain! :/

@YinxFed Of course I can change that goal for you and you are not being a pain at all. I can change it at anytime. It is wise of you to set goals that are achievable. Everyone wants to feel successful. Also, do you have steps for Sunday 1/5 or did I miss them?
  • micki48
    cedarfoxy wrote: »
    Steps so far (if I can still join the step challenge)

Jan 1 - 1649
    Jan 2 - 3994
    Jan 3 - 1928
    Jan 4 - 8193
    Jan 5 - 6011
    Jan 6 - 2087
    Jan 7 - 7211

@cedarfoxy You are in the Step Challenge! Glad to have you join us. I will mark your steps “insightful” when I have seen them.
  • micki48
    Thanks everyone for getting your steps in daily. I have some blanks for people, but I'm hoping you'll catch me up with your steps as the week goes on. It's a good idea to post daily simply because it gets you on our thread and we all know that reading the thread helps keep us focused and on track. I'm speaking from experience here for sure.

Yesterday, I did not meet my goal of 8k. I was at 7016 for the day. I wasn't feeling great and didn't push myself. I could have, but I won't beat myself up over it. I was asleep at 9:45pm which is almost unheard of for me. Must be getting over this cold. Not gone yet, but on its way out, I hope. My eating was a little loose too. Nothing horrible, well maybe all those dang broken cookies. (I was once told that all the calories fall out when they're broken....what? No! Oh well.) I did go over my daily calories, but since MFP lowered my daily calorie goal, it wasn't really that big a deal.

Still trying to figure out why my calorie goal went down 300 calories. I did change my exercise goal from days to minutes per week. Not sure if that did it or not. It's fine. Probably better.

Anyway, I feel like I'm refocused today. In response to the question a bit ago, what do you do to stop yourself from eating something you shouldn't (well, that's how I remember it.)? I didn't stop myself a few times. But, then I finally did. What worked is good old self talk. I told myself to stop. Take five minutes and go drink the rest of my water. That worked in the end. So there is my contribution. Sometimes, if you can stop yourself, take 5 and drink that water.

Above all else, don't give up...throw in the towel...start next Monday, etc., etc, Just keep going. Get back on track at the next meal or in the next hour or minute. This is a journey as we've said. You must love yourself, listen to yourself, and forgive yourself, but keep going. Your prize is not the goal, but the journey itself, as there is so much to learn along the way.

Have a great Wednesday friends!!
  • YinxFed
    micki48 wrote: »

@YinxFed Of course I can change that goal for you and you are not being a pain at all. I can change it at anytime. It is wise of you to set goals that are achievable. Everyone wants to feel successful. Also, do you have steps for Sunday 1/5 or did I miss them?

Sorry - my steps for Sunday was 5019
  • jugar
    Hello Upside-Down Beauties!

I hope everyone is having a fantastic day, keeping to those goals, and feeling strong and good. Even if there was a slip, you're strong and good!

I got really, really hungry today, so I added a bit of grain to the mix in the form of a millet pudding with dates and almonds. I love this pudding - cooked millet with dates and nuts baked in almond milk with some cinnamon and nutmeg. No added sugar - only the sticky dates making things just sweet enough. I think I needed this today - it's going down to the really cold tonight and tomorrow so it will be good to have this on board!

Only two weigh-ins to request - one for today and one for tomorrow:
    @fourathomej
    @cory17

Thanks!
  • micki48
    I see you @juliemargaretkim 👀 ! Three days of posting in a row. Yay you. Thanks for that post. I’m going to go flip my 🐶. ❤️
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 536 Member
    Steps: 4200
    They may have been a little higher but my phone wasn’t doing well from my bag. Tomorrow, a big walk in the morning!
    Can’t wait.
    The visit and lunch was all quite nice.
    Thanks for your support!
    Xoxo
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 270 Member
    Steps

1/6: 7,445
    1/7: 5,267
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Steps for 1/8 were 7463

Yesterday was a good day, I had a baked potato for dinner it was so good, I shoulda put veggies on it, but instead I put a nice vermont cheddar, bacon, and sour cream... I measured everything and it all fit, so yeah , it kinda felt like a cheat meal, I mean that is if you like baked potatoes... I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes... I am watching Downton Abbey while I walk ( I've never seen it) so it definitely gives me incentive to walk everyday... lol I think after Downton, I will watch Fleabag, I heard thats good... But Also Outlander should be back on by that time, so I will have choices, or I will just have to walk ALOT more... lol I watch shows my hubby doesn't like while I walk, it's works pretty well for me..

This morning was 20 minutes yoga, 7 minutes of Barre and 5 min pilates... I think I might be phasing out the pilates in the morning and just doing Yoga and Barre... Maybe I will move Pilates to as soon as I get home from work before I make dinner...

I bought my Hubby a subscription to the Yoga App I use, it was 20 dollars for a year, and he did 15 minutes last night, and of Hatha, not just Restorative, so that made me happy... He's a bricklayer/stone mason, so he is hard on his body, and he doesn't have any flexibility nor a large range of motion, so he is someone who could really benefit from daily yoga no matter how little...

Hope you all have a great day !

• jugar
    Happy Wednesday!

As always, you lot continue to be inspiring and delightful. I hope it works the same way for you - when I'm eating something indulgent and delicious that still fits nicely in my calories I think of @Gidgitgoescrazy and cheer us both on. When I'm watching an episode of something my husband would not while pedalling away I think of several of you! It is a great way to get the old cardio in. I always aim for a minimum of 10 miles in one 40-45 minute episode, and I know it was an especially exciting one when I make it to 12 or 13!

But now a great one for the parents - @conleywoods , your post about pedalling while your son does the really hard work is fantastic. What a great example you are giving him! Not to mention, you are earning your shower! Gotta earn those babies...

And @lovethyneighbor - you've got the good pain :p Even though it might make going down stairs a bit funky for a day or two, it is really a goooood pain. And bravo for recruiting a friend to walk with you at lunch time. Both of you will stick to it better that way. You are on a roll!

@evelynladams527 - you crack me up with your phone not doing too well from your bag! I have that problem often - but these days of always-wearing-a-coat makes it easy to stuff the thing in a pocket where it can swing along with the beat like a pro. Soon you'll be rocking a pair of jeans with the phone coolly riding your back pocket - it will love that :wink:
This discussion has been closed.