MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLES - February 2020 Chat

Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @it_cleo, I’m with Austin here and I when I go over my calories (which I have for the last couple of days) I don’t try to eat less than my calorie goal but instead just try to get back to eating where I’m supposed to be at. I do try to drink more water and eat a bit cleaner but if I go too under then I’m just hangry. :/

@nbbaby, yes your weight gain sounds like water weight. Sorry you and your DH had a fight and I hope all is well again. You will get back to where you need to be. :)

2/10 Accountability (Habit Tracker)

Track Every Bite-I did and I’m actually under my calorie goal for the day!
    NO gain on the scale-There was a gain on the scale again. I’ve got to get it together!!
    Workout or 7500 steps-I did 60 minute cardio core Beachbody workout. It was great and I’m going to be sore!
    Steps for 2/9-11,906 B)
    IF (17+ hrs)-16 hrs. was I did today. I was just so hungry and that was because I ate too much later than normal last night.
    Thoughts for the day-Well, today was better than it has been the last couple of days. I stayed under my calorie goal and had a really great workout. My only thought at the moment I need to do it again tomorrow!! ;)

• TeresaW1020
    g3w13xxmvnsq.png
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 699 Member
    its_cleo wrote: »
    When people count calories what do you do when you’re over? Do you just say it was a bad day and start over the next day or do you try to cut back the next day?

So I count calories I have a weekly goal. Yesterday I was way over. So all week I would have to cut back to make up for it. Then I find- trying to limit calories- I can only do it so long then I think I get rebellious and angry and fed up with it. That is partly what happened last night. So it’s kind of like a vicious circle. Because if I cut calories all week to make up for yesterday by the end I will be ready to blow again.

I guess I just don’t know how to handle the restrictions mentally. I feel like I need to do something different than what I currently do.

Last night- I had grapes and didn't realize how many calories are in grapes which FYI is crazy I should have just had a chocolate bar, I think it would have been less calories. Then I was frustrated and had some ice cream. Then I was hungry and had bread an peanut butter. So I was over by like 500 cals or something.

Hey there, @its_cleo !

So it is totally awesome that you logged your food and stumbled across a high calorie food you didn't know about. For what it's worth, you ate extra of a food that included fiber and vitamins, so you could possibly give yourself more "health credit" than eating a candy bar. So maybe give yesterday's self a high five for making a healthy choice, even if it was an unconscious of the numbers choice?

(I am feeling the fruit and calories thing. I just had an afternoon snack of about 120 calories, some cashews and some tart cherries. I could eat way WAY more tart cherries had I not thought to prelog this, and find out I should eat about 100g of them. Ah, well.)

In your post, you actually sound like you arrived at what works for me. When I go over, my game plan is just get back on plan with the next meal. If I try to "make up" for an overage by going way under the rest of the week, I will be super grumpy and hangry by end of week. So SO SO not worth it. That is the path toward ransacking the pantry for me. Nope, I just need to go back to the regularly planned size of meals.

Another way to think of it, for me, is that I just slowed down on the health journey a bit. Or detoured a little.

Anyway, I am big on getting back in the saddle at the next meal, and being kind to myself on days I blow past the number.

Other Slimpossibles, what do you do?

@its_cleo, I'm in the same camp as @AustinRuadhain - I just go to the next meal. Funny this came up today, I have had a day where I have had to employ all of the advice. => But trying to make up for cals already eaten feels like robbing Maria to pay MFP and I'm not into it. I personally gave up eating into the exercise calories and it was the right move for me, for where I am in needing to lose weight (but I walk, not burn like you guys in the gym!). Now I strive to not see red but sometimes I do; I ate more when it would see exercise calories but still remain remain green and it slowed my weight loss. This works for me but it may not work for everyone.

It's also important to bear in mind what your goal is in MFP and what you are trying to do. For me, I'm going for the 1.5 to 2 pounds a week lost goal so my calories allowance is pretty small to begin with. Add to that my refusal to give up half and half in coffee and alcohol on most evenings and it's not a lot of food in a day. One day isn't going to make or break your journey. especially if you are eating as low as you can. So when I go over for reasons of legit hunger with legit food, I have to be ok with it - arriving to that and going through some mental chatter was needed but that is where I am now for legit hungry days. For days I am sneak eating (from myself, not too bright) or just mindless eating while cooking or just stubbornly deciding to slink into the kitchen after hours - well, then I am disappointed in myself. I assess each event and I'm either ok or disappointed but I am not going to compound the problem by bargaining away future food.

One thing I do is pre-log and log throughout the day - this helps me as life fluctuates. When I pre-log two glasses of wine, I know I can knock it to one or none and get some food calories back and not go all in the red, it's kind of like my bank. But pre-logging helps me keep all meal cals in check to be sure I don't have to give up the alcohol, although I will if needed.

The biggest gift you can give yourself is to assess whatever happens. If what you are doing is working, assess the crap out of it and see what can be repeated. If you have an off day, see if you can figure out the catalyst and avoid it in the future. Assess the habits and goals, assess your reasons and try new things. But don't bargain away the next meal - you think you felt restricted with the last one, the next is going to really be upsetting.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09
    Monday check in
    Steps 02/09 16,499

So hubby, who wanted to not weigh daily, is now weighing daily again. He's allowed to change his mind but I'm going to stick with it, at least for February. I'm about 90% ok with it - sometimes I have been curious and had a slight urge that was resisted without too much thinking but mostly I'm just accepting of the decision. I would love to be 183.anything but the truth is - I have to be ok no matter what it is, regardless of the direction. I can't let it define me or the process, nor let it guide my feelings and actions. I hope Maria is listening, she can be quite stubborn (or, so I'm told).

Planned and Prelog 3 meals? yes. B and L meals and then placeholder cals for dinner out. Meals got all out of whack and the dinner was cancelled - probably a good thing, calories wise.
    Times? B 9a, L 11a and then L(2) 130p, D 7p
    Non-planned eating and thoughts? Was normal hungry for breakfast and 2 hours later was hungry for lunch so I ate early thinking I would probably skip planned lunch. Had a low blood sugar dive during a walk, been a long time since that has happened, and then came back to eat a big bowl of cereal and my planned lunch on top of it. So now at 6 - not hungry (edit, was hungry at 7). Thinking I will eat fruit later if I get hungry, or some other light fare. I think this is just normal hunger cycle stuff - had less hunger yesterday but I did a lot of walking so today I am hungrier. I think this is kinda how it works when you do not fight the machine.
    Hunger? yeah - calling it a hungry day!!
    Exercise? 2 walks in the hood, both around 2 miles
    Sleep? 1030p-645a [log the morning after]
    Assessed the previous day / week / month?
  • mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    Hello friends! I feel ill over the weekend but feeling much better now.
    Did anyone watch the video of Adam and his paralysis? So inspiring.
    02/10
    Check In
    Username: mrmcgrath
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Weight: 196.3
    Todays Weight 195.2💥

Yesterday
    Calories: under
    Water: over/under? Over
    Macros: right on
    Exercise: walking

Yesterday’s Fitbit/mfp stats:
    4993steps. 5500 goal steps
    2.18 miles
    2146 burned calories
    11 active
    79 sleep score
    60 resting sleep
    1612 calories consumed

Macros by grams. carb 173g, goal > 223g, fat 60g, goal 44-77g, protein 84g, goal 70g

Basic Goals
    Active (heart rate driven) minutes: 🏃‍♀️
    Complete food diary: 📖
    Stay hydrated(more than 64 oz): 💦
    Stay below sugar goal: candy 🍭
    Meet fiber in range:👎
    Daily self care (10 min): meditating, crafting, reading, etc. 📖
    Sleep: minimum 7 hours 💤

My vision for 2020:
    To find out who I am outside of “mom” since I will be an empty nester in the 5 months.
    To love me no matter where I am at in my journey.
    To pursue habits and hobbies that I will enjoy and that will enrich my soul.
    To focus on total health (mind, body, and soul)

Don’t let any one weigh-in dictate what I do.
    Choose to do the work.
    Choose to show up & do the actions.
    Don’t give up when you get your first bit of resistance.
    Stick to your habits no matter what. Ignore your ego and avoid complacency.
    Keep a connection with others who understand what this journey. Isolation is not helpful
    Don’t hide when weight gain happens. Assume it will. Share your truth, and don’t let your mind tell you no one will understand.
    Make up your mind that you are and will be successful.
    Accept that this is your struggle, and you will not be fixed. I will need to continuously manage my condition.

#FeelAlive
  • raleighgirl09
    A for real - Red Number Day. It just is what it is.

jzp4yhw8tjiy.png

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    @nbbaby I'm so sorry to hear about your fight with your husband and your tough day, hang in there.

@Jactop Hm, you got me thinking now, can't wait for it to come so I can figure out a way to attach it to my ankle! Thank you for all your advice!
  • Katmary71
    @TeresaW1020 sounds like you had a great day!

@mrmcgrath that exoskeleton is awesome, so glad there's a way for Adam to walk!

@raleighgirl09 great exercise! Awesome job cleaning, glad I inspired you!

Way to go team!
  • Katmary71
    Monday check-in
    Calories- under
    Exercise- stair treadmill, weights, core/strength, yoga
    Water- crazy amount today

Habits
    Weights 3xs a week- did today
    Cardio 30 minutes- done
    Yoga 3xs a week- done
    Core/strength- did today for the first time in a few weeks, yay!
    Declutter/clean- did a little
    Recipe- still deciding, produce box came at dinner so didn't plan anything with it.

I started doing a few things the last couple weeks. The first is eating without reading materials, TV, or music at the table- just me focused on eating and my food. It's still weird but I'm doing better at eating slow, distracting myself, then realizing I'm full before going in the kitchen for more food. The second is more body awareness. I'm working on not overcurving my spine and squatting instead of bending over to improve my back. The former is getting easier from hip flexors becoming a little looser from yoga (actually touched the floor with my tiptoes laying on the weight bench today) and squatting I got lazy about, if I bend over now I immediately squat. Putting stuff on the floor at each gym machine is a lot of squats! I've also been making myself wait a minute between sets, I'm usually impatient and turn everything into cardio waiting 10 seconds max! It's gone pretty well focusing on breathing aside of the time I put dumbbells on the weight bench and closed my eyes only to have one roll off and land on my foot but bruise is finally gone!
  • prowell57
    prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
    Monday check-in
    Calories- under
    Water- under
    Exercise- 0

This was a crazy day. Wasn't hungry so didn't eat much. Had a few Parmesan crisps and a ham & cheese hot pocket.

@its_cleo when I go over on calories I just start over the next day. If I try to cut back the rest of the week I get discouraged and stressed from trying to figure out how much to eat each day so it's just easier for me physically and stress wise to just start over...new day new beginning.
    @nbbaby I too am an emotional eater. I know how frustrating it is! I try to keep low-zero carb foods in the house so when I am upset I'll have things I can eat that won't put me over on my carbs like beef jerky and cheese sticks etc.. But then I find myself over eating on those 🙄. I quit buying ice cream cause that was my biggest go to food when I'm stressed. If it's in the house I AM going to eat it!
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Thanks everyone for your comments on how you manage going over it. It definitely gave me something to think about. I got the weekly thing from elsewhere on MFP, and a lot of people said if they had a treat they would manage by cutting elsewhere in the week or whatever. But it's hard and yeah just results in hangry!

I will have to rethink how I do things. The other thing that is bad for me is checking the scale everyday. I've been doing that and I was frustrated on Sunday when my weight was up so that is partly why there was a bit of a blowout.

So I am trying to only checking Sun/Wed/Fri.

Yesterday I did ok.

@Katmary71 I think that's a great approach to weightlifting. I like to go fast too but I've learned a lot to stop and pay attn to form. Also I've learned those big guys in the gym- some of them are so focussed on higher weight higher weight, they do the exercises poorly, like poor range of motion. If they were forced to do the whole rep properly they wouldn't be able to do it lol. And ouch on the foot!

@prowell57 ice cream is my weakness too.

@raleighgirl09 glad you got some tidying up done. I'm only one person and yet somehow I still can't keep on top of tidying everything. ]]

Today I see trainer for lower body and I'm glad because I really need to just exert/exhaust myself.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,566 Member
    Monday Check-in
    Calories: a little under; all good, on-plan choices
    Exercise: platform stepping in the evening (60 min); tai chi (15 min) ✔️
    (😟 had originally planned martial arts class but bumbled the schedule, and it's not an arrive-late thing)
    Water: over ✔️
    Habit Tracker
    - Breathing Exercises (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    - Meditation (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    - M.A. Forms Practice (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    - Exercise (6 x week/45+ min) ✔️
    - Food weighed/measured/on plan (daily) ✔️
    Grateful for: good friends; had several great conversations and felt really blessed to know such great people

Goals and Improvements for Today (Tuesday)
    I am starring the one item I keep missing. Today is Day 2 of a new streak -- back on that plan. Although I notice that I play a mental game with myself whereby I think I should have chosen better or different forms to work on, and then want to invalidate that I did the work. I think that's when I get grumpy and don't feel like doing it.
    - Meditation (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    - Breathing Exercises (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    - 🌟 M.A. Forms Practice (daily 2+ min)
    - Exercise (6 x week/45+ min) ✔️ I did 45 minutes of Qigong this morning, so already a green check mark - yay! Also want to do some platform stepping or outdoor walking today
    - Food weighed/measured/on plan (daily)
    - Work on the To Do List, including at least 2 minutes of cleaning my desk and making my office a great place to work.
    - Finish homework for my Tiny Habits online class and remember to log in on time!
  • Jactop
    Jactop Posts: 688 Member
    edited February 2020
    Monday check-in
    Calories- under
    Exercise- 45 min bike (25 min reading posts, 20 min HIIT)

Habits
    Exercise daily ✔
    Log and measure food✔
    Keeps carbs under 60g✔
    No sugar or junk food✔
    Get to bed by 11✔

Steps 2/10 - 14,877

@its_cleo I found dwelling on an occasional binge is a huge mistake for me. It puts me in the mindset of "well since I blew my diet I should eat all the crap I've been depriving myself of" and all that does is extend my binge

I do better if I start fresh with the next meal and try to figure out what caused my cravings. I learned from this group that eating too few calories or not getting enough sleep can cause cravings the next day.

Daily weigh ins definately sabotage my weight loss efforts. If my weight is up I get discouraged and if it's down I feel like I have some wiggle room.
  • Katmary71
    On the subject of binging my weakness is ice cream as well and chocolate in general! I was buying light ice cream for awhile but I'd eat the whole pint. More than once I went ice cream crazy and would eat two then melt the rest as fast as I could. Those stupid pints are expensive! On my brother's birthday he had an ice cream cake, I just ate the awesome ice cream out of two pieces and it was 700 calories! I guess I can always stop at Baskin Robbins for a scoop but that was painful when I logged it! With nothing higher calorie to binge on my craving is butternut squash or weirdly low carb/low calorie tortillas with vegetables and salsa. Neither ends up being that many calories, it's more the act of stuffing my face that I'm disappointed in.

@its_cleo good luck with the trainer today! I agree about form. I'm down a little on arm weights after not doing them for a few weeks but until I'm a bit stronger at least my form is good! Still stinks to be doing the same weight I was doing last summer but I'm trying to be grateful that I'm able to do them again.

@AustinRuadhain Definitely try and give yourself credit, you're so consistent on getting in good exercise and eating in a way that nourishes your body, you have a lot to be proud of and you're an inspiration!
  • Cornanda
    Cornanda Posts: 994 Member
    raleighgirl09
    Saturday pop in (might be able to check in later!)
    Steps 02/06 7,538, 02/07 11,938

Thought on my (cold) walk today:

There are so many circumstances that make following a plan and focusing on weight loss difficult - but if I don't strive to do it even under less than ideal conditions, when will I? My life is one set of less ideal circumstances after another! Last week - moving offices and off hours and eating out, this week - learning a new office routine, son had surgery and I'm on the help team and a lot of eating out, next week is the same! All of this makes it hard to do the menus and shopping and cooking but I've done them. And it's cold again and raining and crappy, grey weather - I've been stuffy and medicine headed and my hubby is cranky with his regular SAD moods. Can my weight loss journey, commitments to myself and need to achieve great health and fitness really afford to wait for the perfect week?

Don't know the last one I ever had, if I have indeed ever had one.

So inspriring! Thank you!
  • Cornanda
    Hi- love the great losses and step counts last week! Congrats to those names I see big and bold! If you gained last week, I'm with ya, and striving to make this a better week.
  • Cornanda
    Steps:
    2/8- 11,611
    2/9- 9305
    2/10- 9559
  • TeresaW1020

@raleighgirl09, I don’t know if Maria is listening, but Teresa is! ;) I can also be very stubborn and let myself forget that this weight loss journey is truly a process. None of us should define ourselves by what the scale says or what our calorie count is on a particular day. It has to be the sum of the whole that matters.

@Katmary71, I’ve been really trying to work on my posture. My back hates it when I slouch. I have also finally learned to squat when I pick something up, which works great for me unless my knees are hurting! :s Ohhhh and I had a 10 lb dumbbell fall on the side of my foot the other day because I was rushing. We gots to slow it down!!! :D

@Cornanda, great steps!! B)

Hi everyone! I just looked at the clock and I’ve got to head out to ladies Bible study!! I’ll try to do a better job of catching up with you all tomorrow. Ohhhhhh and the Slimpossibles have a surprise coming so be on the lookout!! ;)B)

2/11 Accountability (Habit Tracker)
    Track Every Bite
    -I tracked and I’m a little under my calorie count for the day.
    NO gain on the scale-The scale was back down a little this morning
    Workout or 7500 steps-I did a 60 minute booty workout on BOD. Ouch!!! Steps for 2/10-6018
    IF (17+ hrs)-18 hrs. 10 min.
    Thoughts for the day-It was a busy day! The rest of my mom’s furniture arrived for her soon to be new bedroom and I deep cleaned my dining room. The chairs still had glitter on them from Christmas! :o My eating was good and my workout was intense and I think I messed up somewhere with my form because my lower back is hurting!!! I've got my heated back massager on it right now! Tomorrow, I’m going to skip the cardio day on BOD and walk my treadmill. She uses these slider things I just can’t do it. So, I’m not! :p
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09
    Tuesday breeze by
    Steps 2/10 12,236

Hi troops. Quite the day. Still helping my son and family and then mom landed in the hospital with pneumonia and work got needy. Running to and fro (lots of fro!!!) getting from one hot spot of help needed to the next. No walk today - shamefully less than 4,000 steps, I think. Not going to worry about it. Cheers, love to all, keep fighting the good fight.

Planned and Prelog 3 meals? yes but it all got switched around - choices still on plan
    Times? B 11a, L 130p, D 6p
    Non-planned eating and thoughts?
    Hunger? i think low hunger but i was so busy and had so much competing for my attention that if hunger was one of them, it was ignored
    Exercise? none - sadly. Had I jumped through hoops, I could have, I recognize that. Hoops were not in my energy bucket today.
    Sleep? 1030p-645a [log the morning after]
    Assessed the previous day / week / month?
This discussion has been closed.