WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - March 2020

Options
Beka3695
Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
Welcome Fat2Fit Challengers

Here is your Team chat room! This is where you weigh in every week, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Cheer each other on to success!

We are beginning the March 2020 Challenge - We have six great teams this month. The group and team leaders are as follows:
Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Beka - @beka3695
Lisa - @cafelelia
Teresa - @TeresaW1020

Our Team Captains:
Mission Slimpossible - @broncobuddee and @TeresaW1020
Trimstones - @mulecanter and @jessicakrall8
Weight No More - @sleepymom5 and @cafelelia
Waist Aways - @jugar and @micki48
Shrinking Assets - @Boehle and @beka3695
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and (open)

Our Team Motivators:
Mission Slimpossible - @AustinRuadhain
Trimstones - @Angmarie28
Weight No More - @nstephenson01
Waist Aways - @Terytha and @evangsimmons170
Shrinking Assets - @TheMrWobbly (Fitness Captain)
Downsizers - @UTMom81 and @Kres567

HOW IT ALL WORKS:
Every challenger weighs in on their chosen day, and at the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

If you need a week off, a break, a change of weigh-in day - just ask your Captain here on your team chat page. If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to ask if you are travelling, sick, or just needing some time off.

In addition to your own team, there are F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the “Announcements” section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love!! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month begin.

THANKS!

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a new month! March will be a good time to make sure that the goals we set in the new year are still good, to make sure we keep up with the good habits every day, and to lose some more weight. If you had a gain in February, this is the time to revise what you are doing and to get in here every day to help yourself stick to it. If you had a loss, this is the time to keep going and not slip into complacency. Support each other and let's go!

Let's start with introductions - even if you are returning. It is always good to remember who everyone is, where, what your current status and goals are, etc.

I'm Liselyn, living in rural Québec, about 145 km (85 miles) east of Montreal. I am a musician and retired university music prof. I have a 27 year-old daughter in the Canadian Army, and a 23 year-old son who works locally. They are both so in shape they hold my feet to the fire!!

I finally got serious about losing weight and getting in shape about 8 years ago. I was the heaviest I had ever been, was having aches and pains, and just generally felt horrible. I had tried for many years to get at it, but kept slipping back. In 2012, my husband was having knee replacement surgeries, I was on leave to help him, and I decided this was IT. By the time I went back to work in September I had lost about 25 pounds, and made it to my goal by November. It was hard but felt so great! I thank my trainers (at the university gym), my son (relentless pest and great gym buddy), and MFP.

Maintenance did not always go well. I found this group when I had started putting weight back on, and it has really worked. Since retiring, I don’t have the community at the gym and at work any more, so building a home exercise space and routine has been key. That and remembering to eat like a really short person. I have lost what I regained, and now will chip away at the last few pounds my doc would love me to lose, or just maintain at least.

I hope I can support all of you in your journey to join me here in maintenance land. It is not much different here! I still track, keep vigilant, and refuse to ever go back. I'm only 5 feet and a bit tall, so every pound shows. Don't worry if it is SLOW, don't worry if you have ups and downs, learn to love your plateaus (where your body takes a minute to get used to a new normal and stops fighting change), and most of all, stick with it. I’m now 66, feeling stronger and better than 10 years ago, so if I can do it, you can too!
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    dld9rtqwjgid.jpg

The March moderators challenge is up!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10787221/march-spring-it-forward-photo-challenge#latest

This is all about sharing and documenting your healthy journey! Each week, we will post a theme by day and you get to post a photo related to that theme. You can post just a photo, or a photo with words, or just post words if you don't want to post a photo. It is time for the F2F family get creative for spring!!

Each day of the week is related to a healthy theme:
    Motivation Mondays
    Transformation Tuesdays
    Workout Wednesdays
    Thirsty Thursday
    Food for Though Friday

We have weekends off (and you can start taking photos for the next week)!

Week 1 themes are posted in the challenge thread and we start on Monday, March 2nd! See you there!
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sylvia, 51, and live just south of Boston. Have always battled weight but was in good shape and felt good 10 years ago at about 150, then the weight crept up to finally my top weight of 193 (hence my 'it is time' clock photo' and even though I'd done MFP before, turned to it again and have been doing well planning and tracking and have dropped 14 lbs. What I'd never done before was to reach out to the community - this group is my first and I think it will be an encouragement. My goal in January was a pound a week for a year but the weight has dropped faster so I'll go with it. Finally realized that I had to do it by food intake alone as I just haven't been able to manage any regular exercise - full time secretarial job and a caregiver at home to my 90 yr old dad. I get a walk in when I can and love to garden so that will be just a bonus to any weight loss, I can't rely on it. Throwing an additional challenge on myself this year...no more dyeing the hair, going grey. Feeling fit and in shape will help balance that look, ha ha. Being obsessive with MFP planning my next day's food before I go to sleep has been helpful as well as Martha Stewarts vegetable-bean soup : )
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Michele from North Carolina, previously New Jersey. I am the mother of two grown children, a daughter - 32 and a son - 28. I’m also the proud Mom Mom of one adorable granddaughter who is almost 2. I watch her every day and she keeps me moving. Before that, I was an elementary teacher for over 20 years.

I have been part of this group for over a year now. I am also co-captain with @jugar Liselyn. I have lost about 26 pounds this past year. I have had two long plateaus and I can tell you, there is something to learn from losing and plateauing. Being part of this group has given me the motivation and support to keep going.

This past year, with the Waistaways, I was able to keep my commitment to fitness and health. This year my goals are to continue to lose and also make exercise a habit every day, even if only 10 minutes a day.

Our teammates, @AmyRobF and @robertefortier536 are my youngest niece and her husband. And we are all going on a trip in May, so we want to rock those bathing suits. 👙🕶 🌴 🌊

So, glad you are all here with us. Let's go Waistaways. Let’s make March as green as can be. ☘️

• micki48
    Options
    @eggfreak Welcome Sylvia. I think you are going to love this group of people on our team. They are amazing and motivating and inspiring. And if you are losing fast, I can tell we'll be looking to you for your secrets too. Glad to have you here. Step in and chat regularly. :)
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Thanks Michelle. I've experienced the plateaus in previous efforts and know it can be so disheartening but I can see how group support with others who have experienced it will help.
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi, Tuesday was my surgery. Everything went well. 4 day in to recovery and feeling really good. Only issue are the 2 drainage ports. They make me really uncomfortable. Can't wait till they are removed.
  • micki48
    Options
    Hi, Tuesday was my surgery. Everything went well. 4 day in to recovery and feeling really good. Only issue are the 2 drainage ports. They make me really uncomfortable. Can't wait till they are removed.

@matthewsfive So glad to hear you are doing well. I've heard others speak of the drainage ports. Here's hoping they are out really soon. Sending good healing vibes your way. Take it easy and let yourself heal. Good to see you popping in and giving us an update. Hugs!
  • jugar
    Options
    eggfreak wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Sylvia, 51, and live just south of Boston. Have always battled weight but was in good shape and felt good 10 years ago at about 150, then the weight crept up to finally my top weight of 193 (hence my 'it is time' clock photo' and even though I'd done MFP before, turned to it again and have been doing well planning and tracking and have dropped 14 lbs. What I'd never done before was to reach out to the community - this group is my first and I think it will be an encouragement. My goal in January was a pound a week for a year but the weight has dropped faster so I'll go with it. Finally realized that I had to do it by food intake alone as I just haven't been able to manage any regular exercise - full time secretarial job and a caregiver at home to my 90 yr old dad. I get a walk in when I can and love to garden so that will be just a bonus to any weight loss, I can't rely on it. Throwing an additional challenge on myself this year...no more dyeing the hair, going grey. Feeling fit and in shape will help balance that look, ha ha. Being obsessive with MFP planning my next day's food before I go to sleep has been helpful as well as Martha Stewarts vegetable-bean soup : )

Welcome Sylvia! I grew up in Massachusetts, and my grandparents were in Milton. I spent a LOT of time there - but then I left the US in 1977, and finally ended up in Canada in 1979. I still go to Massachusetts often to visit my dad (turning 92 next week!!) and my niece - maybe someday we can meet up. In any case, it is great to have you on the team. You are right that you can lose without exercise, but not the other way around. I hope that as spring and summer come along you can get in some good walks, though. And good for you on the hair! I stopped using any dye at 50 - chopped it off super short, and have been grey ever since. You'll love it!
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Andreabroadley

Weigh in day Sunday
    Pw 154.2
    Cw 154.5

Sorry!!

I’ll post more about me later today..
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    PW - 178
    CW - 176.2

Yay me - starting the new month in the green. So happy to be able to grab back a bit of the previous week's gains.

And here are my steps for the past week:

23/02 - 3527
    24/02 - 6506
    25/02 - 4384
    26/02 - 4133
    27/02 - 4979
    28/02 - 5531
    29/02 - 5092

Not such great news with the steps last week. I only got to my target 6000 steps on Monday. I will really try harder this week.

More to follow...
  • Andreabroadley
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Happy March.

I am Andrea, 61 From Toronto. Retired luckily.. I have two adult kids, one a computer engineer and the other a Theatre major in university. And a fantastic husband of 40 years.

We have been spending a lot of time getting healthier in the last few years and have a bit more to do, but are seeing a lot of progress. I have about 14 more pounds I would like to take off but it is slow going as I just don't generate as much TDEE as I used to.

I saw the cardiologist last week last week and asked him what more I could do to improve my health and he said I was doing well and that about all I could do was"become a vegan chipmunk" or just be patient with my current regime. lol.

I am hoping for some warmer weather here in March. February was definitely the January we did not have. Still lots of snow for Toronto!
  • Andreabroadley
    Options
    @jugar I will be away from the scales next week and the week after. Can I go on stop time or would you like me to sit March out?
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Happy March Team!

Just back from a lovely pub lunch with hubby. We planned to walk, but a hailstorm started before we set out, so we drove instead! We both had a gorgeous roast lamb dinner (with yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, steamed veg and homemade gravy - delish! But no starter and no pudding!)

Anyway, looking forward to this new month and welcome to all new team members :)

My name is Yinka, and I re-joined the challenge in January. I've been on MFP for 6 years, but only very recently started taking it seriously! I workout 4-6 times a week, but have only recently started logging again. This month I have decided to seriously look into my diet. Just eating better, cleaner, more sensibly. And really cut down on my snacking habit. This past week, I made sure that we ate earlier (by 7pm instead of by 9pm), and that I got to bed earlier (by 11pm - with no blue lights from devices once I got into bed!)

More about me - I live in Bewdley, a gorgeous little market town in Worcestershire (UK) and we've recently been through some severe flooding. We live a little higher up in the town so have stayed dry, but my heart has been broken for friends who live at the bottom of hill and have suffered after the River Severn burs its banks - twice - in spite of some very expensive flood defences :'(

I am married with a grown up son who lives across the other side of the world (Virginia, US) with his lovely wife. But thankfully, he also works with me (he's my project manager - for my online English language business), so we spend a lot of time online.

Monday nights are zumba night - I LOVE zumba, it's the only class that I pay for! The rest of my workouts are normally programs that I join from YouTube fitness people. I'm currently going through an 8-week Fitness Blender program - I'm starting Week 3 next week. And I have a fairly comprehensive dumbbell collection for my strength workouts

The most effective things for me are getting a good night's sleep, not snacking after dinner, having dinner at a decent time (7-7.30pm), eating well and logging. If I could get all of those things down pat, I would be successful. And this is why I'm here. Plus I have four weddings and one big birthday celebration this year. And if I can manage it, I will try to get to see my son at Christmas, so there's lots to prepare for.

This group is one effective way that helps me to stay focused.

Welcome again, once more!
  • jugar
    Options
    @jugar I will be away from the scales next week and the week after. Can I go on stop time or would you like me to sit March out?

Toss a coin! Either I can just give you EXC (excused) and keep you in the tallies, or put you on support for the month. Since you'll be there for 2 weeks and off for 2 weeks, it's fine either way. You can still keep posting and if you find a scale somewhere (hahaha) you can still send in a weight!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    WEEK 4 WINNERS

223ox7c78ju5.gif
    60e6xjoxsy9x.png
    ufx8wbvl85lq.png
    kcjp79911vjr.png

PLACE TEAM PERCENTAGE
    1st Shrinking Assets 0.46%
    2nd Waist Aways 0.36%
    3rd Mission Slimpossibles 0.13%