WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - March 2020

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,107 Member
    Options
    4p91xwbgmzky.png

Where are all the outstanding Friday weigh ins? It's mighty quiet in here... Hope you're having a blast! But don't make me have to put in a long list of NWIs for the week. That's like the walk of shame for a captain :wink:

Is it time for the Born to Nag photo???
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Saturday weigh in: 194.2

I lost everything I typed before because my phone glitched. :(

Basically my concern with points by amount lost is that it's not safe for some people to lose a pound or more a week, and I'd hate to chase away people who don't have a lot to lose, or make them feel pressured to lose unsafely. It was easier for me to drop 2-3 lbs per week when I was nearly 300 lbs than now.
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    ubvcy3atkc3h.jpg
    Good morning! The Week 2 themes are up for the March Spring It Forward Photo Challenge! We start on Monday and here is the link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10787221/march-spring-it-forward-photo-challenge#latest
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like 2 point a person who is it over 1 lb and the one point if they move less than one pound I don't like the current body percentage calculation in the spreadsheet because it is not simple math where the previous weight divided by the current rate would be the percentage I have had weeks where I've lost 2 lb or more and still didn't win anything because how the calculation is done but when I do simple math of dividing the previous wait by the current weight I get a totally different outcome why can't it be something just that simple for everyone
  • mrs_chivonne
    mrs_chivonne Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    PW: 149.5
    CW: 152.0

Sorry guys. I aim to do better going into next week. My goal is to work out at least 3X /wk and make healthier choices
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Saturday weigh in: 194.2

Basically my concern with points by amount lost is that it's not safe for some people to lose a pound or more a week, and I'd hate to chase away people who don't have a lot to lose, or make them feel pressured to lose unsafely. It was easier for me to drop 2-3 lbs per week when I was nearly 300 lbs than now.

I think that the idea is that no matter if you lose 1 or 2 or 5 or 7....you get only 1 point....that way anyone aiming for slow and steady is on par with anyone who's on a faster schedule. It wouldn't be the amount you've lost, it that you lost something.....I think you understood it as a point per pound?
    evangsimmo... is thinking through a multiple point system, but I'm okay with if you lost...1/2 a pound or 3 pounds...it's still one point.
    Can't wait to make those gyoza btw!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Steps for 3/6 = 9922

• Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Friday weigh-in
    CW: 183.4
  • deniners2
    deniners2 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm on vacation & I've missed 88 posts.

@jugar What are my options if I've gained 5 lbs in 2 days & tomorrow is my weigh in? 😲
  • jugar
    Options
    deniners2 wrote: »
    I'm on vacation & I've missed 88 posts.

@jugar What are my options if I've gained 5 lbs in 2 days & tomorrow is my weigh in? 😲

Well, you can just weigh in and that is the truth and there's not much you can do to change your wonderful vacation where you enjoyed yourself. And then starting from there, you proceed to have a week where you lose some of it again, and all is well.

Or you can request an excused week - where you get no gain no loss, and still have to work on it for the next week. Up to you! You'll be back in the swing soon no matter which way you go :smile:
  • jugar
    Options
    I like 2 point a person who is it over 1 lb and the one point if they move less than one pound I don't like the current body percentage calculation in the spreadsheet because it is not simple math where the previous weight divided by the current rate would be the percentage I have had weeks where I've lost 2 lb or more and still didn't win anything because how the calculation is done but when I do simple math of dividing the previous wait by the current weight I get a totally different outcome why can't it be something just that simple for everyone

I think the calculation as it stands now is correct for % of body weight lost. It is simple, but not quite as simple as just the division. Here is the usual formula, and the one we use:

Weight Loss Percentage = ((Current weight/Starting weight) - 1) * 100
    Negative answers indicates Weight loss
    Positive answers indicates Weight Gain

The advantage of % is that it is fair for everyone no matter where their starting weight may be. The objection I have to our current system is the assumption that the greater the loss (in percentage or in pounds), the better. Sometimes that backfires, as we all know! And sometimes those tiny but steady losses get people there with no fuss, but also no recognition as winners! In spite of that, it is still the most objective measure if you want enough numbers to be able to have winners.

Even if we were to assign points to different levels of loss, it is most fair when based on % rather than pounds. If a 130 pound person loses 2 pounds it is 1.5%. If a 230 pound person loses 2 pounds it is 0.9%.

In any case, we can try out an internal trial of whatever idea we want. The number of team members in the green will be the big win, rather than the total # of pounds lost. We were doing the "green report" for all the teams every week in February, and I think that should continue. I'll post some options tomorrow, and you can tell me if any look good.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? There is no rush to come up with any solution - it is just interesting to explore the possibilities.
  • AmyRobF
    AmyRobF Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    PW 211
    CW 211

Sorry for the late post.

I am just at a plateau and then get frustrated and eat. The weather is getting nicer out so I NEED to make myself walk. I also NEED to stop eating sweets and junk.

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I think in honor of St. Patrick’s Day this month we should try to do our best to go green. 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀luck of the Irish to us.

I have a goal to get to 185.6, 4 pounds from where I am. When I get there, it will be the lowest I have been for 6 years. My second goal close behind is 185, which will put my BMI at 29.9. That makes me overweight, not obese.

In addition, I will get three cardio workouts a week. And at least 15 minutes of some kind of exercise the rest of the days.

I want to whine a bit about this. Got my blood results back from my doctor. While my BP was great, my cholesterol went up. 😫 She knows I’m working on this so no medicine, but I’ve got to get this down. In all honesty about a week or so before the test, I did have 2 cupcakes and a slice of cake, which I haven’t t had pretty much all year. Could this alone have made it go up? IDK. Why did I do that prior to my visit? IDK. It’s been this high in the past and I got it down a bit. Not sure how though. Total cholesterol is at 259 I think. Any suggestions welcome. I am not going on medication.
  • deniners2
    deniners2 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, you can just weigh in and that is the truth and there's not much you can do to change your wonderful vacation where you enjoyed yourself. And then starting from there, you proceed to have a week where you lose some of it again, and all is well.

Or you can request an excused week - where you get no gain no loss, and still have to work on it for the next week. Up to you! You'll be back in the swing soon no matter which way you go :smile: [/quote]

I want to do what's best for the team.
    As I eat chocolate mint ice cream... 😕 😁
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you are all having a great weekend so far. I took a few days off to just take a break from logging so much. I agree totally with some of the goal fatigue discussions! I finally got over the little cold I had and plan to channel my inner @Gidgitgoescrazy and plan my workouts ahead of time for the week. Tomorrow I am back to my usual routine of exercising and logging. I like the idea of the points idea but bottom line I don't really care that much anyway. I'm here to be with like minded people, to recieve support, give support and share ideas. I am not a quick loser either and I except that. Anyways, if I think I deserve a prize, I buy myself a prize lol! Took me a while to feel comfortable treating myself and not with food. Now it is a lot easier.

Congrats @micki48 on the weight loss but boo to the medical stuff. Frustrating!
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 286 Member
    Options
  • lovethyneighbor
    Options
    STEPS
    y470s4ug95h7.png
  • lovethyneighbor
    Options
    00204ktwnxu9.jpeg
    opkqpdqtdgkh.png
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sorry to post so late for my Friday weigh in. Here it is.
    CW: 166.6
    PW: 166
This discussion has been closed.