WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - March 2020

Options

Replies

• AmyRobF
    AmyRobF Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I will probably go over calories but I did get a little walk in. Hoping to walk each day this week between the rain we might get! This nice weather is motivating me, I hope!
  • deniners2
    deniners2 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If possible, may I amend my CW to 151 for today? Next time I won't be so quick to post.

I'm pretty sure I won't be HIITing anything tomorrow, but I'll probably take a long fast walk. 😊
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I did something that really scared me today: I went to martial arts and met with sensei/senpai. I needed to pick up some stuff I left.

It has been three years. I left on less than ideal terms. Going back has been a huge source of unease and anxiety for me.

But they welcomed me, asked me to stick around and swing some swords, and asked if I was coming back like they legitimately missed me.

So basically I was worried for no real reason.

I think we're going back in August. We need to run out our gym membership first, I can't afford both.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,257 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @micki48 did you see my steps above your post?

I did not see it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. 🙂
    jugar wrote: »
    Well! Sunday is flying along. It is my dad's 92nd birthday today (as well as my sister's @evelynladams527 , of course!) and he sounded great on the phone. I'll get down to see him later in the month, COVID-19 willing, and we'll celebrate for real then. But it is a beautiful sunny afternoon, and I'm getting outside asap!

I am enjoying everyone's news, though. There are renewed commitments, admissions that getting in here as close to every day as possible is a good thing, thighs on fire, plans for 5k and 10k events, great photos, and the hatred of logging. I am glad that @deniners2 posted about feeling great in spite of a weight gain (it's the thighs on fire thing...), and I am going to find Sis's Song and give it a try on the bike. Thanks for the recommendation, @ddmiddleton2 ! Don't worry about submitting your weight a bit late. But don't do it again! :wink:

I brought our vague and slightly chaotic idea of finding a way to celebrate the steady, slow losers as well as the high roller losers to the moderators. Some wonderful discussion ensued, and I think we're going to give it a try. I'm going to work on a formula that would go on the spreadsheets to track green weeks. There are 3 possibilities, so here is my question to you all. Which do you prefer? (Each person would get a numerical score at the end of each month, and there would be a running tally from month to month as well.)
    1. Add up only green weeks and everyone gets a running total even if there are black or red weeks in between.
    2. Add up only green weeks, and as soon as there is a black or a red, it all goes back to zero.
    3. Keep a running total where green = +1, red= -1, and black =0.

There is something good about each of them, although I don't want to think about the complicated formulae for #2 or #3. I'll figure it out somehow!

Your thoughts?

At first I was going to say #3, but I agree with others, especially @terytha about not penalizing people having a rough time. It is grace over guilt, right. So, #1it is. Let’s keep it simple.

Speaking of that, @jugar are you, and anyone else, ready to start this Pilates challenge tomorrow?
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Which do you prefer? (Each person would get a numerical score at the end of each month, and there would be a running tally from month to month as well.)
    1. Add up only green weeks and everyone gets a running total even if there are black or red weeks in between.
    2. Add up only green weeks, and as soon as there is a black or a red, it all goes back to zero.
    3. Keep a running total where green = +1, red= -1, and black =0.

I am trying to get my head around these but Maybe 1 (adding up only green weeks with no penalty for red or black weeks), Since it seems the least complicated. 3 also seems nice.

I was a bit worried this week because I was not loosing much on the scale...so I looked through hundreds of articles 😩..turns out I needed to add more water to my daily intake... so I got half a gallon water bottle and drank 1 a day for the past 2 days...when I added good sleep, I lost 1 pound in those 2 days after more than 6 days of nothing . I was nervous that I’ll have had to report nothing today (first weigh in) but 💃🏽💃🏽...I’ll keep doing this. I haven’t started excercizing but I am encouraged by the steps I have seen some of you do. I’ll comit to improving my steps I guess.

PW 186
    CW 185

This is great progress - and you discovered something that works. Sleep and water - sounds possible and then you can add more movement as time goes by. Even if you don't have time for "official" exercise, try to keep as much movement in your day as you can. The water helps - lots of walks are needed! And add more steps for everyday things. Forget things so you have to go back and get them, go twice around the block to the shop instead of once, get up and do a few squats every hour or two, whatever it takes. Every little bit helps!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    AmyRobF wrote: »
    I will probably go over calories but I did get a little walk in. Hoping to walk each day this week between the rain we might get! This nice weather is motivating me, I hope!

Yes, yes, yes!!! Those doggos need a walk. I encourage you to check in every day for one week and let us know what exercise you did. I bet it will help. I will be exercising with you. 😘❤️
  • jugar
    Options
    deniners2 wrote: »
    If possible, may I amend my CW to 151 for today? Next time I won't be so quick to post.

I'm pretty sure I won't be HIITing anything tomorrow, but I'll probably take a long fast walk. 😊

all set - and it looks much better!
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I did something that really scared me today: I went to martial arts and met with sensei/senpai. I needed to pick up some stuff I left.

It has been three years. I left on less than ideal terms. Going back has been a huge source of unease and anxiety for me.

But they welcomed me, asked me to stick around and swing some swords, and asked if I was coming back like they legitimately missed me.

So basically I was worried for no real reason.

I think we're going back in August. We need to run out our gym membership first, I can't afford both.

Fantastic. I think we often do that to ourselves - the problem is much bigger inside our minds than it is in reality. You obviously love the martial arts practice, and now you will be able to go back to it with no worries. Good one!
  • jugar
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »

At first I was going to say #3, but I agree with others, especially @terytha about not penalizing people having a rough time. It is grace over guilt, right. So, #1it is. Let’s keep it simple.

Speaking of that, @jugar are you, and anyone else, ready to start this Pilates challenge tomorrow?

I am still going back and forth in my mind between #1 and #3. I like having a bit more accountability so that everyone "owns" their ups and their downs, and tries to keep the number positive, but at the same time a simple running total with no downs is effective as well, and certainly has grace and simplicity. I'll have to convince the "tough love" people among the moderators, though! (so far there is one!)

YES I am doing the 5 day Pilates challenge that starts tomorrow. Who else is in?
    sign up page is https://thebalancedlifeonline.com/pilates-strength-stress-relief-challenge/
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had to share this with y’all. I haven’t hit 7 days of exercise in a loooooong time. oa5tgim8zu3l.jpeg
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Today was a busy day! Got back to working out now that my cold is finally gone. Meal prepped all the lunches for the week and cooked a lot. Kept the kids busy and did some laundry and house work. Helped my husband build a frame for a little green house (he did most of the work). Worked on my weekly schedule too.

@Terytha So glad you had such a warm welcome at the martial arts studio. That had to feel like such a relief. Now you have something to look forward to.

@evelynladams527 Sounds like you have lots going on with school for you and your spouse! That would be hard to be apart like that. Maybe some fun trips to visit each other are in your future!

@deniners2 Sounds like you got some serious workouts in! Wowzers that's awesome.

@lovethyneighbor Nice work getting workouts in daily.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    fwq3yl4l5yk2.jpg

Sorry this is late. I'm out of state right now. Hope all is well.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    @jugar I like both plans 1 and 3.
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Username: reflectionofme
    Weigh in day: Monday

PW: 121.5
    CW: 121.4
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    CW 152.4
    Sun Steps - 14,022

I was hoping it would be lower, but I ate a lot this weekend. Good news is, I logged. I also worked out both Sat and Sun. I went to bed so late last night, thanks time change, I knew I wouldn't workout this morning. Mabel has her 6 month doctor appointment tonight, but I hope to go for a walk after.

@jugar I like 1 or 3. If they don2, I would definitely change my weigh in day. I am always lowest on Fri but choose Mon for weekend accountability.

@conleywoods that sounds like an entire weekend on one day!!! Glad you are better. This year has been worst for me and colds.

@lovethyneighbor Great job on 7 days!!! That's my goal for this week.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    @Micki48 I am feeling much better thanks, went to the doc on Friday and got my Zpack, and it's all gone... We like to blame them on the fact that my ear doesn't drain properly, and the tube works with the pressure but not so much the drainage. Anyway, thanks for asking...

I think it's awesome you guys are starting to plan your exercise, Just remember to be flexible, it's okay to change it... I wanted to show you guys my book I use... and I highly recommend
    the stickers... this book has little ones and big ones, so if I have to change something or I did less than planned, I get a little sticker, cause I still deserve it... haa haaa it might be silly, but I find it rewarding giving myself a sticker at the end of the day...

vml76goy5dkv.jpg
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy Monday!

Thanks for all the great news - colds leaving, sinuses draining, exercise getting done, restraint being implemented, and ideas about new ways to recognize progress. I like also that Monday weigh-ins are working for those of you with weekend control issues. That is great - it helps to have something neutral that looms slightly in your mind so that you don't lose it. Or actually, you do lose it - in all the best ways!

So here is one issue with the green points idea. If the total is cumulative (either #1 or #3), new people will never, ever catch up. I still completely agree with all of you that re-setting to zero when you have any gain at all is too discouraging. Solutions? Maybe re-set every month? (1 point per day in the green, etc.) Or run it for 2-3 months at a time and you have to wait for a new one to start if you have just joined? I tell ya, even a simple idea gets complicated. We'll find a way!!
  • juliemargaretkim
    juliemargaretkim Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am sorry (yet again!) to be late in joining in...

CW: 133.8

I am very happy with that number... but it has not been easy!

A little to "catch up" --
    I have announced that I am retiring at work -- and the outpouring of love has been amazing. I should have done this before! LOL!

I am looking forward to the future -- and to many endeavors that I haven't even thought of yet! I am still planning to work -- just not at this level. I actually think I could substitute teach in my school district and "reconnect" there (it has been 5 years since our son graduated) -- I used to be pretty involved in school activities, so it will be nice to do that again, I think...and our son says it is ok for me to do that now that he's not there anymore! :smiley:

I also hope I'm not too late to chime in on some of the motivation issues I've been reading. It IS hard. I am glad that I don't have to go back and lose the weight I lost a few years ago again. But I want to tell everyone struggling that it is SO WORTH IT! I want to lose another 10 pounds because I was once 122, and I have never felt so body happy in my life. But I'm pretty ok with where I'm at now (maybe that's why it's a longer "struggle" this time) -- and I don't know what made it finally "click in" after YEARS (decades) of wanting to get thinner and healthier -- if I did, I could make a lot of money I think!

All I can say is it did click in. All of a sudden, I could say no to all the sugar and all the carbs -- because they were the problem! It's NOT ok to get to the end of the day and say "oh, a cookie won't hurt" -- or to mindlessly eat crackers (see what my downfalls were?) -- because it undermined what I said I wanted. I would feel hungry, but then it was a good feeling -- because I knew when I got up in the morning, it would mean a pound would be gone. I got used to waking up and feeling a little peckish, and feeling GOOD about it. The body needs to fast, and now I'm an IF-er (intermittent faster) -- that feeling of "hunger" is my body resting and shedding -- and that "image" keeps me on track. I won't starve. I will be healthier.

Sorry for the rambles -- I miss a week, and then I write a book! I'll try to keep up with you all!! I try to keep mindful about what I want. It really isn't the cookie.
  • juliemargaretkim
    juliemargaretkim Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more point. Since I announced I was retiring, the stock market has plummeted. It's my fault. Now you know.
This discussion has been closed.