What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
This is where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    Options
    Happy to be back with this excellent team for another month.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    Did you know that you can explore over 2000 of the world's most renowned museums and art collections from home? copy/paste the link to get to the index-page. Where would YOU like to visit?

https://artsandculture.google.com/partner
  • BMcC9
    Options
    With time under varying degrees of quarantine / voluntary or involuntary shelter-in-place orders in various parts of the world ... and the number of new people joining UAC for the first time .... I am reposting some Coping-While-Stuck-At-Home Suggestions from my office Workplace Wellness folks.

Mostly fairly common sense, but often just being able to see an official checklist laid out gives a feeling of reassurance and a target for modelling.

I am following @SuziQ113 's lead from March = giving titles while putting the rest inside spoiler envelopes so that you can read or not whichever one you feel you need, when and as you choose.

TIPS TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
    • Stay informed, but follow news coverage about COVID-19 in moderation. Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories. It can be upsetting to hear about the crisis and see images repeatedly.
    • Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, and get plenty of sleep.
    • Make time to step back and consider how to take advantage of unexpected flexibility in your daily routine.
    • Stay connected. Talk to friends or family about your feelings and concerns.
    • Maintain healthy relationships and respect other people’s feelings and decisions.
    • Show support and empathy to those dealing with difficult situations.
    • Identify what is within your control and try to direct your energy towards what most worries you within your own control.

Reminder – Helping you and your family stay healthy
    To help keep yourself and your family healthy, please continue to practice good respiratory health: •Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom and when preparing food. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
    •Cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm and dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible in a lined waste basket and wash your hands afterwards.
    •Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
    •Clean the following high-touch surfaces (such as toys, phones and remotes) frequently with regular household cleaners or diluted bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water).
    •Limit all non-essential trips and avoid crowds whenever possible.

Managing your Mental Health in Times of Uncertainty
    The nature of the developing events related to COVID-19 can leave us all feeling anxious and uncertain.
    When our daily lives undergo changes, it can affect our routines, thought patterns and therefore be unsettling. Looking after your emotional well-being is an important practice.
    Caring for ourselves involves the attitudes, behaviours and actions that we take to maintain or improve our well-being. These may include an array of strategies aimed at nurturing the body, mind and spirit. When we are in balance, in all facets of our lives, our body, mind and spirit are in harmony. This implies a commitment and investment to know oneself, to responsibly and mindfully manage our personal resources, and to recognize our limits and choose healthy actions.
    Below you will find some strategies for supporting both your mental and physical well-being in times of uncertainty:
    •Meet your basic needs, ensuring you are eating healthy, drinking plenty of fluids and getting regular sleep. If you are biologically deprived, you may be at risk of endangering your mental health.
    •Take frequent breaks. Go for a walk, listen to music, read a book and/or talk with a family member/friend.
    •Be mindful of your alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, and sugar consumption.
    •Limit or avoid looking at news and media related to the situation at hand.
    •Connect with your supports. Talk to your colleagues; connect with family and friends to support each other. At times like these, we tend to isolate ourselves out of fear and anxiety. Tell your story and listen to others.
    •Respect one’s differences. Some people need to talk while others prefer to be alone. Recognize and respect these differences in yourself and in others.
    •Practice a self-care check-in. Pay attention to depressive thoughts and/or signs of stress in yourself. If you experience prolonged sadness, difficulty sleeping, intrusive thoughts, or feelings of hopelessness, it is important to seek support.
    •Identify what is within your control. Worrying about things that are beyond our control is not useful.
    •Be aware of your emotions such as fear, grief, guilt, frustration, exhaustion and so on. When you notice these emotions, work with a family member or colleague to develop a self-care plan. A plan will include activities you have used previously to overcome difficult situations such as regular exercise, meditation or journaling.
    •Devote a moment of each day to reflect on the uniqueness of this time and to make decisions for tomorrow.

Resiliency promotes courage, empathy, compassion and humility.
    Building up your resiliency includes pausing, stepping back, taking a breath and taking time to recheck our thoughts, ideas and feelings. Being aligned in our values, intentions and current reality are skills that we acquire. Self-awareness, including the ability of introspection, practice of listening and engaging in various reflective tools are key to maintaining optimal mental health.
    Qualities that may emerge include:
    •the attitude of not knowing all of the answers;
    •being open to discovering what will work best in the given situation;
    •accepting things as they are - without judgment;
    •having the willingness and courage to accept that a decision was, in hindsight, the wrong one;
    •willingness to adjust the course without a need to blame or self-criticize; and,
    •having realistic expectations of one’s own performance, including the ability to take responsibility and take steps towards “starting over”.

At times, we undergo stress that exceeds our ability to adapt and to remain in balance. Sometimes, this may bring anxiety born of feeling powerless in situations beyond our control. Real or perceived powerlessness, the inability to cause or prevent change, may contribute to our feelings of vulnerability.
    Neglecting or ignoring our health and well-being will negatively affect our resilience. Sometimes, talking to a mental health professional can help you regain a healthy perspective on the current situation and its impact on you.
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a new month everyone! Looking forward to following your posts. I appreciate each and every one of you!!
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Chinkiri wrote: »
    1st May, gratitude list:

- grateful for waking up healthy after 6 hours of solid sleep. Woke up at 5am, but I had fallen asleep at 11 last night.
    - grateful for all of you and your support. I made it through the whole of April, without crashing out of the challenge
    - grateful for Amazon, my tablet and thriller writers! Whenever I feel I need to, I can escape from current pain and misery into another world - lots of murders committed in the beautiful English countryside of Devon, at the moment!

Lots more things to be grateful for, but I don't want to bore you! Thank you @SuziQ113 for doing this for all of April. I'll try and post every day in May and if nothing else, it'll help me keep on track!

You will never bore us with your grateful lists! Congratulations for making it through April! One day at a time, sista! :smile:
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Happy May to all!

Just worked out. Going to take a shower and then plan to spend many hours cleaning out the greenhouse that has been neglected and abandoned for years now. My plan is to start growing vegetables for all who need and bring most to food pantries. My kids are not quite convinced as they nicknamed it “mom’s greenhouse of death” when they were younger. But they are all grown and moved out so HA! I’ve got this. Plus I am easily distracted by shiny things so I’m hoping this will help me be more productive while working from home. So win-win! Unless of course it all goes sideways but @Chinkiri ‘s new profile pic is giving me inspiration that I can do anything. I feel like I should yell that as I jump on my horse and ride off into the sunset. Shoot, now I need a horse .... will check to see if I can get one from Amazon.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @readyornot1234 you could probably get a ROCKING horse from Amazon ... but it might be considered "non-essential" .... so there might be a delivery hold-up ....
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Can anyone answer @nodm about profile settings to be sure she is being notified about responses? And maybe pointers on how to correctly reference someone to make sure a notification is generated?
    nodm wrote: »
    @Hollis100 Thank you! Slow and steady should get me back to normal.
    And thank you for all the kindness you give around here too!
    I'm glad I checked back here or I would have missed your post!
    Take care!

To all,
    Is there an easier way of checking if someone responds to you other than scrolling down the page? Recently I have been trying to use "notifications" but its not consistent.
    I didn't get a notification of Hollis100's post either.

Take care all
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    @BMcC9 Happy Anniversary to you and your husband!

@oldDogBiking WOW, 28,073 feet of climbing in a month. That makes you a super winner in my book. You know, Mt. Everest is 29,029 feet high, so you almost knocked out a Mt. E.

@nodm Glad to see you're continuing to recover from your ordeal

Congrats to all the winners and everybody who continued to post to the end of the month!

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    xzm89u1kte6c.jpg

Ha ha ha, MFP needs a love button. The mean red-faced tomato looks like I feel at work.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 I answered nodm just to say I have the same problem. Most of the time I don't get notifications and then suddenly I do. I think a few screws have fallen out of MFP.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    xzm89u1kte6c.jpg

Ha ha ha, MFP needs a love button. The mean red-faced tomato looks like I feel at work.

It cracked me up when I saw it on FB.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    @BMcC9 I answered nodm just to say I have the same problem. Most of the time I don't get notifications and then suddenly I do. I think a few screws have fallen out of MFP.

My findings too, but I do not pay for premium....I do find if you're friends with someone and they post to their feeds you will get a notification. Not so much with groups and challenges.
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    xzm89u1kte6c.jpg

Thank you... I laughed out loud!
  • nodm
    nodm Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @BMcC9 for your help. I just want to be able to read and thank friends like you who respond. I have just learned about notifications (thats how I found your post) but I feel like I am missing a bunch of posts and I don't want to look like an ungrateful snob. lol

Take care.
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    Can anyone answer @nodm about profile settings to be sure she is being notified about responses? And maybe pointers on how to correctly reference someone to make sure a notification is generated?
    nodm wrote: »
    @Hollis100 Thank you! Slow and steady should get me back to normal.
    And thank you for all the kindness you give around here too!
    I'm glad I checked back here or I would have missed your post!
    Take care!

To all,
    Is there an easier way of checking if someone responds to you other than scrolling down the page? Recently I have been trying to use "notifications" but its not consistent.
    I didn't get a notification of Hollis100's post either.

Take care all
    @BMcC9 Happy Anniversary to you and your husband!

@oldDogBiking WOW, 28,073 feet of climbing in a month. That makes you a super winner in my book. You know, Mt. Everest is 29,029 feet high, so you almost knocked out a Mt. E.

@nodm Glad to see you're continuing to recover from your ordeal

Congrats to all the winners and everybody who continued to post to the end of the month!