What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• cjane917
    cjane917 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    @SuziQ113 delicious-looking mother's day meal!

@Chinkiri I hope things are going okay. Everyone in this thread has given great advice-- I hope some of it is helpful for you and also that you are able to look forward to things getting better as France begins lifting some restrictions. <3
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    Chinkiri wrote: »
    14th May
    I had to take some time out from all communication. I did speak to my Mum, a good friend and my therapist and to my partner. Will try and take up 'normal' life again.

Gratitude: Yes.
    The lockdown here has been lifted a little and we can now go out without document, as often and as long as we like, within a radius of 100 km. Public transport only if essential and with mask. We can use our bikes again though. Unfortunately, it hasn't stopped raining, but it looks a bit brighter this morning and sunshine forecast for tomorrow. So, that's already a lot to be grateful for!
    The authorities will decide today if we can go to the beach again. Only for active use, no sunbathing but I can bike there and have a long beach walk.
    Lots of shops are re-opening, and I think the library. I need some new paper books, I'm tired of peering at a screen.
    I have not been logging for a couple of days, but I'll restart again. I don't think I was much over calories though, if any, because I had little appetite. Little exercise either.
    I was even off my coffee! Grateful for it now.

Have a good day or a restful night everyone!

Glad to hear about your reach-out and audio-conversations .... and that they have helped!

I hear you about the "need" for physical, paper-format books! 8 weeks into closed-libraries-and-bookstores here, and I have yet to get over my resistance to downloading the neccessary FREE app to access library e-books and audiobooks via my tablet. Re-reading old faves.

MAYBE the store where I get my flavour-steamed-into-the-beans coffee will re-open by the time I run out of this bag-and-a-half .... only those retailers that have doors to the outside and can set up for social-distance through-traffic and know-what-you-are-getting shopping can get cleaned / display racks repositioned / floor markings / ready to open.

Good (kinda-for-MOST-people) news! The gourmet chocolate shop at the top of my street has reopened.

Garden centres and hardware shops are now re-opened too as of just this past Monday. Places where you can get the stuff you need to keep yourself busy at home.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Friday May 15

I am grateful for a DH who is so concerned about how best to keep me (some chronic low-level respiratory issues) safe - and he will continue in that watching out for me even more than I watch out for me as long as it takes.

I am grateful (as much for his stress-level sake as my own) that my civil service job is both secure AND one that can continue off-site for the foreseeable future (almost but for SOME elements not quite indefinitely). Even when the buildings slowly start opening up again - on a business-case by business-case review of what TRULY needs more on-site presence even if by rotation and what the floorplans / people-flow markings will be reset to .... I would be one of the last and even then potentially only sometimes.

And for my morning coffee.

And that the gourmet chocolate shop just reopened .... even if DH plans to keep me away from ANY re-opened places as long as possible ....
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Friday the 15th:

I am grateful for the flexibility of my job this week that has allowed me to get the painting knocked out. Baseboards and frames today and I’m done!

Beyond grateful for my sweet husband as he knows what I’ve been dealing with at work and has been beyond supportive and so vocal about it. 💖

Really grateful for this group of like minded individuals.

Grateful that the weather this weekend is going to be great for pressure washing the pool and some vitamin D therapy. 🤗

And finally, I’m grateful for the Keurig pods that were donated to our department since I walked out of the house without any coffee in my hand. (I left the travel cup I’d poured on the end table. )

I hope everyone has a great day and a wonderful weekend ❣️❣️❣️
  • BMcC9
    Options
    The little 7.0 c.f. chest freezer just showed up today! That means activating a whole rethink for "what's possible for portable lunches" just came into play!! JUST in time for yet another slight increase in the daily calories level.
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Sunday 17th May
    Woke up before first light, lovely to see the sky lightening before sunrise. Still looking a bit grey, but the rain has gone and I am grateful that I have woken up healthy after a reasonable sleep.
    Most peculiar dreams, losing my handbag and going to a bizarre English Literature class. I was most grateful to wake up to a more 'normal', even though 'abnormal' reality.
    Grateful for the town slowly opening up. I managed to sign up for three exercise classes next week, in the park, 9 participants.
    I can now see the palest bit of sunshine! Yes, it's gonna be a bright, bright, sunshiny day!
    Wish you all the same!

• Chinkiri
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I am planning meals for next week. I always do this, so a) I have nice food to look forward to, b) my shopping list is easy, c) I don't have food in the fridge that shouldn't be there and d) I don't go impulse buying. I check all the time and adapt though.
    However, I am trying out a low carb diet, trying to make my scales budge, and I am finding planning really hard as I also want to stick to a calorie budget. I don't want to end up eating all this fatty meat, cheese etc., much as I love cheese. I like my fruit and vegetables, but they keep getting me over my low carb target. I don't want to go Keto; one of my friends is a convert who thinks Keto will cure his dementia. He tried to convert me and my partner who has Alzheimer's, when he stayed with us for a week, making us eat a Keto diet. It just made me feel sick. Too much fat has a bad effect on my liver; I've had very bad jaundice in childhood and picked up a nasty hepatitis (the food kind) working in Spain, and my liver is still sensitive to fat. Full British breakfast has me running for the Rennies.
    My partner has all kinds of digestive problems, a lot of them psychological, stress related, so both his nutritionist and I militate for a normal, balanced diet. Mediterranean is great, I think, not really a diet but a lifestyle, and that's where we live and locals seem to be doing well on it, all ingredients easily available: lots of vegetables, fish, olive oil, regular glass of wine.
    My question: anyone with experience of low carb, even Keto? I cannot see any of you UAC guys as cranks. I'll watch my scales for a bit longer, see if it works. I could do this short term but I don't think it will make for a healthy lifestyle for me or my partner.
    Right, thank you, OK, yes, I know most of the answer is more exercise. Working on it! Was doing well until lockdown...

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    @chinkiri - I do not do "diets, plans, etc.". They work for some, but I find them boring and repetitive. There are certain things I never want to give up. I also find when some start plans they do very well and at some point they start eating "normally" and the weight comes back.

That all said I think lifestyle changes/menus work best. There is a ton of positive information regarding the Mediterranean lifestyle. And, when one digs in to it one will find it reflects all of the sound advice found in most non-fad articles/studies.

You see my diet - I am all over the board which works best for me. I do find when I lean towards a vegetarian-based diet my body feels and operates at its best. I call myself the latest term "flextarian". Lately I have been eating more meat than I normally do and I can feel it - I am a little more sluggish than I usually am. My mini-goal next week is to work upon shifting back to more vegetables and healthy carbs with less meat.

The only suggestion I have is to experiment. Try Mediterranean for a week or two and see how you feel. Keto can be adjusted to use leaner meats and using healthy oils.

I honestly believe and support any type of plan/lifestyle that works for a person. Our genetics and lives are all so varied I believe there is no "one size fits all" solution. Many blend plans.
    They eat Keto for 5 days and regularly for 2. Some do one meal per day and find it works great for them. Some fast two days out of the week and eat normally for the rest of the week. My plan is basically moderation with no food limits. I do not see food as bad or good. I see it as nutritionally and calorie dense or light as I mentioned awhile ago (I think last month in a convo with Rob in our feeds).

It will be interesting to see what others post. I am always looking to incorporate best practices. :smile:

I am glad things are loosening up and you are finding positive things to do and look forward to. Keep up the great work and remember to take one day at a time.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I did Keto for about two months at the end of 2018. I lost a pretty good chunk of weight, but I had to stop because it wreaked havoc on my annual blood work. Fatty liver, anyone?

@Chinkiri you sound so much better!

I am plumb worn out tonight. Seven days of painting and the better part of the afternoon yesterday and more painting today have me 😰🥱
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    Tuesday 19th May
    Grateful to have been woken up by a small bird, chirping away, delightful!
    The weather is still lovely, sunshine, not too hot, not too windy.
    Grateful I could sit outside on my terrace.
    Grateful my apartment is clean again, clean sheets too!
    Really happy I could wear a blouse I last wore on my travels in 2007. I was a lot thinner then, but the blouse fit yesterday without straining buttons or that tell-tale little gap between buttons!
    Have a good day everyone!
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri-isn't that the best NSV, wearing old clothes again? Lots of sun here too, hope everyone is able to get out this week and enjoy. :)
  • BMcC9
    Options
    onward1 wrote: »
    @Chinkiri-isn't that the best NSV, wearing old clothes again? Lots of sun here too, hope everyone is able to get out this week and enjoy. :)

A sunshininy weekend here too, with more on the way. BBQ'd two days in a row.

Anyone else started doing the pack-away-sweaters / unpack-summer-cottons yet? I am starting to - and finding summer dresses that fit (I wouldn't wear these to the office ... but i AM working from home and my position doesn't require video meetings ... )
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    onward1 wrote: »

A sunshininy weekend here too, with more on the way. BBQ'd two days in a row.

Anyone else started doing the pack-away-sweaters / unpack-summer-cottons yet? I am starting to - and finding summer dresses that fit (I wouldn't wear these to the office ... but i AM working from home and my position doesn't require video meetings ... )

I packed my winter woollies away ages ago as this is southern France and I rarely need them, but I keep them for visits to UK and the Netherlands. As they were off, I packed them away. I haven't got into summer dresses yet, but summer now seems to be staying, 30° yesterday. I will investigate how they fit me now. I was 10 kilo heavier last summer!