What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I miss thrift store shopping to celebrate my weightloss journey and leisure time finding treasures. When this covid closures end Im have bags to donate to make room for new finds for my new size. 6s are way too big now...
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    @readyornot1234 Again, I sympathize with you. I have no answers and wish I did. Looking back, there were many things my mother wanted me to do that were objectively good things -- and were her goals and wants and wishes, not mine.

I don't know if you can have The Conversation again, but try sometime, and if you have health problems, use that, and maybe quote a doctor. Good luck, and may we all forgive ourselves and our mothers.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It has been almost four years since my mom died. There were so many lessons she taught me. I am so thankful she instilled in me everything she thought she was not. She always told me how much she loved me and I was beautiful, strong, and smart. She raised me to be an independent woman. Many of the lessons I was taught took me quite some time to to fully comprehend and instill in to my understanding of the world.

Being raised as a very strong person, and by personality highly opinionated, she would tell me, "Suzi, you must remember there are shades of grey, not everything is black and white.". This is one of the constants that runs through my head when people act in questionable ways to me. The snarky person in line in front of you may have just lost a parent, the person who is always smiling and joking may be depressed, the person who sits quietly may actually have something important to say but is not comfortable speaking out loud, and between the black and the white many times that is where the truth stands.

I miss my mom. TG when I am quiet I can still hear her voice telling me she loves me.

Our mother's expressions of love should never be taken for granted. For those who struggle with the feeders we can always plan for those visits. Walk an extra mile, eat a light meal beforehand so we plan for the calories, or take the leftovers and pass them on to next homeless person you see on the street or an elderly neighbor.

@readyornot1234 - If my mom was making me homemade pasta I would drink water all day until I visited! LOL. I did not even know pasta existed until invited to a friend's house for dinner at the age of 12. My friend's mother served (now this is gross), Ragu out of the jar and spaghetti from a box! I had died and gone to heaven. These days I do have to limit my love of pasta but do plan for it every now and then.
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, my mom. She is one of the most important people in my life and has given so much to me and all my siblings and many others. She is a retired nurse. @SuziQ113 - she raised my sister and me to be extremely strong, outspoken, confident women and my brothers to be respectful of women (and how to vacuum, cook, do laundry, etc). These were traits she acquired on her own because as a first generation she was raised to be subservient to men and meet their every need with a smile. She was the first in her family to go to college. On my dad’s side of the family, it was me and my siblings to be the first. So my parents figured all of this out on their own and provided every opportunity to us foregoing any of their wants. Please do not misunderstand me, I love my parents, I am grateful they are my parents, and I do whatever I am able for them. I miss them. We are driving down this afternoon to sit in their yard, at a social distance, and eat sandwiches we are bringing for ourselves, for Mother’s Day. It’s not perfect but who knows how many more of these days and any day we each have.

@Hollis100 - I’m with you. I wish I had the answers. My parents passed overweight many years ago. They each have some health problems. It’s hard to watch them overeat and lose more mobility. They seem happy so is it me having a hard time watching them get older? Is that my fear? My mom grew up in a very critical and sometimes abusive household. When I try to discuss things with her she gets defensive and hurt. That’s from her childhood. I try to be conscious of where she is coming from and my need to want control and perfection.

You’re both right, life and relationships are so complicated. Most of life is grey.
  • nodm
    nodm Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    @Hollis100 I hope that you are feeling better.
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    I made an appointment to get a virus test tomorrow morning. I have a few symptoms, extreme fatigue and shortness of breath when I exercise, which might be from wearing a mask for 8 hours and doing a mindblowing amount of exercise at work -- I'm probably okay, but want to be cautious.

The medical center told me I have to self-quarantine until I know the test results, which should be available in 2-3 days.

I bought extra fruit, veggies, and tons of cat food today in case I am actually sick and have to stay at home for two weeks or more. Again, I'm probably okay, just want to be careful.

• nodm
    nodm Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri Add me too! Glad you are feeling better!
    Chinkiri wrote: »
    Thank you for all the hugs! I feel a lot better this morning, having slept quite a lot, with lots of waking up, but still...
    So, that's the first thing I am grateful for.
    - I also am grateful that yesterday's horrible headache has gone
    - I am grateful that my partner gave me a hand clearing weeds off the terrace. It's something he can still do for me. He has Alzheimer's, so there are not so many other things he can help me with.
    - I am grateful for the beautiful weather. I don't need any shopping today, so I can use my full hour for a walk, which I am also grateful for.
    - I am grateful for the light at the end of the tunnel. From Monday we can go out when we want, for however long, much further and without a document. I'm planning bike rides...

Have a good day everyone or make the best of whatever rotten day you're having!

• readyornot1234
    Options
    Wonderful afternoon with my parents. We social distanced on the back deck. We brought sandwiches but my mom made a whole thing. It was a bit cold and windy but lovely.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri
    I am sorry you are feeling so down and out. I hope you are able to speak with someone regarding your ups and downs.
    Cyber hug to you.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri I also hope you can speak with someone about your ups and downs. It might help. Sending you my love and concern.

• Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri - Hugs to you!!
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri as I lay in bed with insomnia last night I thought back to your posts and focused on all that I was grateful for. The first one was you reminding me to refocus. These are some strange and hard times, sending you hugs. Following silently along with the Mom posts also and yes, she lived to feed us, sheesh, it was hard at times, as it was just an ingrained Italian thing......."eat!" Have a good day all, being signed on to this challenge has def kept me wanting to stay within my goals. ;)
  • readyornot1234
    Options
    @Chinkiri - I’ve been thinking about you. I have never had an issue with depression and I can honestly say that this pandemic and loss of control has sent me spiraling. I am depressed one day to the point I don’t want to do anything or talk to anyone. Some days I am paralyzed with fear. Sometimes I can’t breathe due to an anxiety attack. Some days I’m okay. I finally reached out to a friend who is a therapist and she hooked me up with someone. Please know you are not alone and you don’t need to do this alone.