What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    @epangili That's why we're all here, because we have problems with food and/or exercise. Every day is a new day where we can start over with a fresh beginning.

I'm a sugar fiend, too. Since I have problems with sweets, I don't hestitate to throw them away. You can also give them to a food bank, I believe.

Start again tomorrow and remember one thing: you're worth the effort.

Thanks Hollis for your encouragement and support. I guess I feel bad because my 72 year old mom took the trouble to bake them... I ate two, gave 5 away, and trashed the plus 30 pieces... but once I start to takes a while to come down. I don't think food bank will accept homemade treats... unusual ones at that too - Hawaiian fruit nut cakes. Now, that I know 100% I cannot trust myself, I won't hesitate to trash it without my mom knowledge.
  • epangili
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    @SuziQ113 Thanks for the good thoughts. Yes, my employer provides masks and gloves. I wear a mask the entire time I work with disinfectant, so I believe I'm probably okay there.

Said a few prayers for essential workers like yourself today. It's national day of prayer today. 💕🌹🤗🙏
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    @chinkiri - Certainly not negative. :smile:

As for flavors in coffee it is a very seldom thing for me and most times is a replacement for something sweet after dinner. Although as you can see from my food diaries of late I have been feeding my sweet tooth!
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    @SuziQ113 Icecream! I'll feed my roaring inner cheese wolf today, may have to declare a Pass Day... I'm grateful I have never really had a sweet tooth... Possibly my Mum's doing, I grew up without sweets, and cakes and biscuits were strictly limited to the odd something at teatime.... I like a nice icecream though from time to tim and find it hard to resist a well made creme brulee...
  • SuziQ113
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @chinkiri - Oh, that creme brulee! I only make when entertaining or for a special meal. My sweet tooth probably came from my mother who ate two pounds of chocolate an hour or two before I was born. I do not know how she stayed so slim!!
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    Here's to creme brulee and enjoying special occasions! My Mum's not slim, but not too overweight either. I think some of her problems are connected to Dutch Hunger Winter, -1944 - 45, rationing and trying to look after her kids after, i.e.. me, my brother and my sister.
    This is no excuse for me, born way after. I have make my choices every day.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @epangili Thanks for your kind thoughts, prayers much appreciated.

I understand how you feel about discarding a mom gift made with love. Last year, for the first time in my life, I started openly refusing sweets ahead of time -- no thanks, no thanks, but I appreciate the thought -- which made some people upset, but they eventually accepted it. It's hard.

Today is a new day for all of us.

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    :'(:'( (They don't have the fountain of tears on the website)

it SNOWED last night! There is WHITE STUFF on the ground out there!!!!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    :'(:'( (They don't have the fountain of tears on the website)

it SNOWED last night! There is WHITE STUFF on the ground out there!!!!

But....but...it's MAY! :open_mouth:

It's definitely cooler than normal for May. I am normally in my pool by Mother's Day, but not this year! *BRRRRRRRR*
  • cjane917
    cjane917 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    @epangili sorry about that! You could also see if any treats are freezable. I made cookie dough a couple weeks ago and was eating two spoonfuls a day until I froze it in individual portions. I haven't eaten any since! Though I know it's there if I want it, but having it frozen adds a time-delay that's helpful for self control.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    10 ways to be kind to yourself (a MFP blog)

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/small-ways-to-be-kind-to-yourself-right-now/

Which one will you try first? Which one would you recommend to a family member or friend ( and why THAT one?)
  • epangili
    Options
    Chinkiri thank you for your encouragement and sympathy... I think it's my mom's way of coping with covid closures- baking.

cjane917 great idea and I do freeze some treats I bake making me able to slow my roll but some things just need the trash because I can't be trusted with everything.

Hollis100 you are an inspiration

readyornot1234 Amen!!! Thank you for sharing your experience and words of encouragement and hugs.

Coach, that was exactly the article I needed - thank you! All of them, now, and everyone!

@lexabeep, where do you live? I'm in central coast California but we don't get alerts for earthquakes... is there a website or service to sign up for this?

• SuziQ113
    Options

Which one will you try first? Which one would you recommend to a family member or friend ( and why THAT one?)

I've actually put these in to motion when I decided it was time to get back to healthy. Near the end of March I reinforced all because I decided that covid19 took enough away from me and it wasn't going to derail all of my accomplishments.

When counseling friends and coworkers my first suggestion is to get out and enjoy nature. There are numerous reasons such as exercise, fresh air, quiet and breaking up the routine.
  • Chinkiri
    Options
    This is almost a question for the sake of it. If you live in an apartment, in an urban area, parks and beaches closed, where do you go?
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I am making a concerted effort to be more accepting of myself. I have also started meditating right before bed and right when I wake up. I am always a bundle of stress, anxiety and energy and then I hit a wall and don’t move. Meditation is starting to even me out.

@Chinkiri - I am not in an urban area. I know many people in urban apartment ps that are fleeing the city. My son’s lease in Boston is up on July 1. He just found a place in the suburbs because he has been cooped up in an apartment building and wants open space again.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I love my mom but she is a feeder. It’s how she shows love. Her house is right on the ocean, absolutely beautiful, but I avoid going there too often. She’s an amazing cook. I gain 5 pounds over a weekend when down there. I have asked her to cut it back a bit but she insists I just need self control. So I avoid going and feel guilty but healthy. It’s hard. Throwing it away may make you feel guilty but healthy, and that has to be okay. Especially if it’s hard to get off the sugar need. Let go of your shame. We are all human and we are all here because of our difficulties managing healthy, appropriate eating.

@readyornot1234 I appreciate your post. My mother is deceased now, but one of the biggest regrets of my life is that I didn't set boundaries with her. I tried and couldn't, so I would stay away from her because she overran me in the worst way. I couldn't fully stand up to her because I felt it would be disrespectful, but now I know I was wrong. Saying no is not disrespectful.

I believe this "battle" between mothers and daughters is one of the most important of our lives. Our mothers will always see us as children that they have to take care of, plus there are many cultural issues about food, control, and other things.

We are not children. We have to acknowledge our own adulthood and set boundaries, acknowledge the love, but learn to say no for our health, our sanity, and our own self-respect. Setting a boundary and acknowledging our own needs -- especially with other out of control people -- is hugely important.

• cjane917
    cjane917 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    @Chinkiri
    I live in an apartment in Washington DC in a neighborhood about a ten minute drive (or 10 min walk + 10 min metro) to downtown. I've been doing lots of walking around neighborhoods. I found a new one nearby that I hadn't walked in before. It's mostly just going up and down streets on the grid system and admiring the different rowhouses and their landscaping out front. I feel like I "should" be biking or walking to the large city park or checking out new areas by bike, but I've found the easiest is just to head out on neighborhood walks instead.