SHRINKING ASSETS Team Chat - MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    cre804 wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    I'd like to give you some advice from my own personal pain today...

If you're a gym goer or plan on starting a gym/weightlifting routine, don't ever quit or take a longer break from it unless you plan on quitting for good.

I went to the gym yesterday for the first time since beginning of March, so almost 3 months. I went in with the plan of doing a full body workout with *very* light weights, just to remind my body about the right techniques, get a good feeling about being in the gym and to sort of find my muscles again.

If I get sore after a workout, it usually starts the morning after and gets worse throughout the next day. Now, the soreness came already last night, it's worse now that it's morning, and I don't know if I can get up from my desk chair when it's lunch time. The soreness is only this bad whenever I take a break from working out, and the fact that I know this makes me want to kick myself. At least this time the break was not my fault, the gym was closed and the country went on lockdown.

My fitness studio reopened last week. My trainer started me with fairly light weights and reps and I thought I did alright. He said I maintained very well over the shutdown. He had been texting me body weight workouts to do during shutdown and I tried to do most of them (except for the three weeks I had bronchitis). Btw, I discovered I much prefer a gym workout as opposed to a home workout! But that first week-omg I was sore! Not as bad as when I first started training, but more than usual. And I gained like three pounds, which I’m hoping is just water weight. But this week has been much better, even though the weights and reps have increased. So drink your water, take your Advil, and I’ll bet you’ll be back up to speed in no time!

Glad to hear you’re back on track! I plan on getting back to a routine too. My trainer works at a different gym that I only go to when I train with him, and I haven’t heard of him since early April when he told me he’s canceling all scheduled appointments until the situation becomes clearer. I guess I should text him if I don’t hear from him soon.

It’s been almost a full day, and my muscles are still so sore I struggle with things like sitting down on the toilet and getting up from a chair. Hopefully tomorrow is better, and maybe on Friday or Saturday I can go to the gym again, maybe even for a proper workout instead of just warm-ups.
  • ScottyTheGent
    ScottyTheGent Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    God bless party people
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Y'all I have got to get my sleep under control so I can get up in the morning.....I am in a struggle. I need to move more but can not wake up!!! Ugh
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Y'all I have got to get my sleep under control so I can get up in the morning.....I am in a struggle. I need to move more but can not wake up!!! Ugh

What is your sleep issue? Going to sleep or staying asleep?
  • guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I just slept through my alarm this morning and missed a call from my boss. :s Sleep issues are a real problem.
  • Shandke
    Shandke Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    PW 132.2
    CW. 132.2

It's not a gain so I guess all is good. Tough to watch your eating over holidays for me! And, I think it's going to be a tough month coming up.

I will say that the renewal of my workouts has been the best thing to motivate me. I feel better and while no one else may see changes yet...I think I do. So that keeps me moving ahead!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • cre804
    cre804 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Cre804
    I’m out of town without access to my scale so I will have to skip tomorrow. Please just carry over last week’s weight.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Suzyjmcd2
    Thursday weigh-in

PW: 125
    CW: 123.4

I will not be continuing on here into June. Best wishes to all of you as you continue your journeys!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I had a little nerd session with my data, and no wonder I'm struggling with losing weight even though I'm eating roughly the same as before when I've had success...

I wear a Fitbit daily and had a look at my past data.
    9-11/2019 daily average burn 2669 calories
    12-2/2020 daily average burn 2521 calories - burnout issues, -150 calories from my daily burn
    3-5/2020 daily average burn 2379 calories - lockdown, another -140 calories from my daily burn

So, in the span of 6 months, I've started burning on average almost 300 calories less per day than I used to. I no longer think it's strange that I'm struggling with losing weight. I already decided I'm returning to the office after next week, so that should up my daily activity levels, and I'm getting back to my gym routine too.

In addition to fixing my everyday activity levels, I'm still working on my eating habits. I've noticed I tend to have more snacking impulses when I'm home, so hopefully returning to the office helps with that as well. Last two nights I've been experimenting with dried figs as an evening snack. I love to have a little sweet snack in the evening with my Netflix session, usually ice cream. That always leaves me wanting more, and a portion of my favorite Ben&Jerry's is 245 calories. Two dried figs is plenty to hit the sugar craving, and that totals 80 calories. I'm still going to have some ice cream occasionally, but having a lower-calorie option hopefully helps.

My current weight loss rate (per Happy Scale) is 0.05kg per week. That's 50 grams. My ice cream serving is double that. My goal rate is 10 times that. Yeah, I'll take any loss I can get, but I need to speed things up. Hopefully in June the reopening and return to some normalcy will help.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Friday weigh in
    Previous weight 171.5 lbs
    Today's weight 171.5 lbs

Want to have a better number next week and be in the green zone proudly!! Well done team being the green zone winner!!👍😄
  • Beka3695
    Options
    WEIGH IN REMINDERS

This is the end of the month -- so please get your weigh ins posted by the end of the day Saturday as @jugar will do the final tallies at the crack of dawn Sunday morning.

The June thread will be up and running soon. Watch for the link to be posted then go introduce yourself :)

Over due
    @jrortega1912 -- one NWI already
    @CharlesScott78 -- Charles??? Where are you??

Friday

@guitargirl55
    @bigblues11
    @floecity

Saturday
    @Be_theBest_Me
    @TheMrWobbly
    @Beka3695
    @ScottyTheGent
    @machchic
    @Loriab901
  • Beka3695
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    I had a little nerd session with my data, and no wonder I'm struggling with losing weight even though I'm eating roughly the same as before when I've had success...

I wear a Fitbit daily and had a look at my past data.
    9-11/2019 daily average burn 2669 calories
    12-2/2020 daily average burn 2521 calories - burnout issues, -150 calories from my daily burn
    3-5/2020 daily average burn 2379 calories - lockdown, another -140 calories from my daily burn

So, in the span of 6 months, I've started burning on average almost 300 calories less per day than I used to. I no longer think it's strange that I'm struggling with losing weight. I already decided I'm returning to the office after next week, so that should up my daily activity levels, and I'm getting back to my gym routine too.

In addition to fixing my everyday activity levels, I'm still working on my eating habits. I've noticed I tend to have more snacking impulses when I'm home, so hopefully returning to the office helps with that as well. Last two nights I've been experimenting with dried figs as an evening snack. I love to have a little sweet snack in the evening with my Netflix session, usually ice cream. That always leaves me wanting more, and a portion of my favorite Ben&Jerry's is 245 calories. Two dried figs is plenty to hit the sugar craving, and that totals 80 calories. I'm still going to have some ice cream occasionally, but having a lower-calorie option hopefully helps.

My current weight loss rate (per Happy Scale) is 0.05kg per week. That's 50 grams. My ice cream serving is double that. My goal rate is 10 times that. Yeah, I'll take any loss I can get, but I need to speed things up. Hopefully in June the reopening and return to some normalcy will help.

Remember the nerd reports we did last summer? I have been using mine religiously for the past 3 months and I think it makes all the difference. I do see that data burnout can occur, too - but currently it is channeling my focus.

I have chocolate/sugar cravings. @Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong suggested sugar free pudding cups. I had one last night and it was soooo good! Also, finding other alternatives - like the peach blondies I made last week. Those were only 132 cal and felt like a BIG OLE CHEAT. I will be trying a new recipe this weekend (Key Lime Bars) that is supposed to be lower in cal and even better. I will let you all know how it goes.

Please don't beat yourself up. This is not a fast process. You've got this!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy Friday.
    I have had one of the worst weeks of my life but I am alive, so there is that.
    I have someone coming over tonight to look at about redoing my hardwood floors as I ripped the carpets up in one of the rooms. It is the only reason I can think of that my thighs have been sore for days.
    I'd like to try to get a walk In at lunch but Ohio has been living in a monsoon lately
  • guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Guitargirl55
    Friday
    PW: 133.2
    CW: 130.6

:)

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, Assets! You have a new member coming your way for June. @PeloMichelle looks like a real go-getter, so show them a great SA welcome :smiley:
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    CharlesScott78
    Thursday
    PW: 349
    CW: 349
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bigblues11
    PW 179.9
    CW 179.5 (-.4 pnd)

:)
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Am I automatically “in” for June or is there something I need to do? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.