DOWNSIZERS Team Chat - June 2020

Options

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,579 Member
    Options
    mellane30 wrote: »
    Oh sakes! I have learned a lot over the last week. I will try to keep this brief but I cannot tell the future. We'll see. Also, I realize there are a lot of people who already know this information but I needed to find it for myself.

I got stuck. I was/am so frustrated with my lack of progress over the last 6 months that I found myself sitting in my room ready to cry. This was last week. So I decided that I could sit there and cry but afterwards, I needed to pull myself together and work on a solution. I looked up Ted Talks on weight loss and found some interesting things but all of them said the same thing "calories in vs calories out". But that hasn't been working! Hence my frustration. I kept my calorie limit to 1200 and started including regular exercise. I gained weight (and no, it wasn't muscle). I literally got fatter. During my Ted Talk extravaganza, I ran across another Ted Talk that didn't necessarily have to do with weight, but with getting what you want. I watched it and I am not sure if I was angry or inspired or more frustrated. It did spark something, though. I did some research on the woman doing the talk, Mel Robbins. Her talk was labeled "How to stop screwing yourself over". She may piss me off (because sometimes the truth hurts) but I love her! I bought her book, Stop Saying you're Fine, and have been reading it over the last couple days. It has re-energized me to stop trying the same old thing because it's not working! It has given me perspective.

I turned my research to nutrition and diet. I found out that I wasn't eating enough. Seriously. I also found out that carbs (specifically simple carbs/sugars) are the bane of the body. To avoid this being an entire book, I will simply say that the end result of my research said to change how I was eating. I lowered my carb intake to 100 g/day and upped my fat intake to compensate. I upped my calorie allowance to 1400/day. Here is what happened:

1) Lost 2.5 lbs of water weight overnight. Apparently, heavy carbs can cause you to hold on to sodium which will make you bloat and retain water.
    2) My leg and joint pain disappeared. I have had joint and leg pain and inflammation for over a decade. It just went away. I cannot explain how nice it feels
    3) I slept better than I've slept in a long time. I got a full 8 hrs and didn't have to get up to pee every hour.
    4) My energy levels have gone crazy. I have so much more energy than I usually do.
    5) My cravings are pretty intense since I've only been doing this for a couple days BUT I'm not hungry. Not being hungry helps tremendously in controlling the cravings.
    6) I'm actually finding it difficult to reach my calorie goal because I'm so full.
    7) Also, and this seems like a weird thing to mention, but my hands and feet aren't cold. This is a new sensation for me. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the change in diet but I haven't figured that one out just yet.

I am NOT doing Keto. I refuse to go below 100g of carbs per day as the brain needs carbs to function. I am sticking with healthy carbs like veggies and some fruit. I do not need my brain to be foggy.

I've included links to the Ted Talk and the book, if you're interested.

Ted Talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/mel_robbins_how_to_stop_screwing_yourself_over?language=en
    Book: https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Saying-Youre-Fine-Getting/dp/0307716732

Most of the reason for me posting this was to remind myself, when I'm questioning why I'm doing this, of all the positives that come with healthy life changes. If it manages to help someone else as well, bonus!

Great post! I definitely do better when I don’t under eat. I am going to check out the links later today. Thanks for posting!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    And my weigh in. While not what I was hoping it would be at this point, I honestly feel like I've turned things around. Next week will be better!
    Also, I think I skipped a week. Whoops! Sorry.

Username: Mellane30
    Weighin Week: 06/08/2020
    Weighin Day: Monday
    Previous weight: 210.3
    Current weight: 211

Good for you on turning things around. Next week will be great!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    missGYST wrote: »
    Steps for Sunday, June 7th: 5,250

I wish I could be more upset that I barely passed half of the steps that I’m usually aiming for, but I had a beautiful day at the beach with my 16 year old niece. 😊 I kept my calories in check, though!

Glad you had a great day! Sometimes making memories are worth missing your steps for the day.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    kyfrancik wrote: »
    CW - 192.0
    PW - 191.0
    I’m a little frustrated with myself. I need to refocus, track my food, and stop snacking at night.

A one pound loss is awesome. Don’t get too frustrated.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Check-In: Monday, June 08

•Log all food: Yes ✅
    •Under Calories: Yes ✅
    •Exercise: Zumba Fitness ✅
    •Water: 2.650L ✅
    •Steps: 19,446 ✅

Yes!! Reached all my goals yesterday!! Good morning team! I am feeling so good right now. I’m sitting here catching up with you all, just had my breakfast (homemade English muffin with 1/4 of an avocado and 2 eggs topped with hot sauce) and sipping my coffee feeling very proud and happy. I’ve just gotten home from my first gym session since it was shut down for confinement. I was there at 6 am and was alone for almost an hour. It felt so good to do my run on the treadmill and to finally do some weight training. I have a feeling I’ll be very sore this week and I might have a gain due to muscle repair. I don’t care. I am so happy I’m finally back. I also did Zumba last night. It was an hour and a half that was cut a bit short cause we got rained on towards the end but it was amazing. I feel like I am finally back to where I’m confortable when it comes to workouts. Now to get my eating back on track. I will do my best to track it all and check in each night. I also need to drink all the water cause I haven’t been drinking enough these past couple of weeks.

June goals:

•Log all food. The good the bad and the ugly!
    •Stay on or under my allowed calorie goal.
    •Do at least 30 minute workout each day.
    •Drink at least 2L water each day.
    •Reach at least 10,000 steps each day.

I am so proud of you for reaching your goals. I am glad you are back to the gym. Your breakfast sounds delicious!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Monday’s check in
    Calories: under
    Exercise: 25 minute walk and lots of 5 minute walks
    Water: ✅

Steps 6/8 11,846

Haven’t accomplished much yet today as I slept in. I need to make sure I am in bed before 10pm so I am up early. After I finish my coffee I am going to walk for at least 25 minutes. I am expecting a few deliveries today so I hope they don’t come in middle of my walk. I have a telephone doctors appointment at 11 and after that I have to catch up on housework. I should be able to go out of the apartment by Thursday or Friday. Can’t wait to walk in the fresh air.

We got some good news yesterday from our premier. On Friday, we are entering stage 2 of the reopening of our province. Two of the things included in this stage are the pools and hair salons. Don’t know which one I am more excited about. Hopefully, the pool that I go to will open up. It is owned by a private company. I guess I will find out this week.

Today’s goals
    1. Walk 25 minutes minimum
    2. Walk 5 minutes every hour until hubby gets home
    3. Catch up on housework
    4. Stay within calorie goal
    5. Drink 8 cups of water
    6. Be in bed by 10 pm
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options

I just want to thank you again for sharing this. I have just watched and it sure puts things into perspective. I will have a look at her books and look into buying some.
    Monday’s check in
    Calories: under
    Exercise: 25 minute walk and lots of 5 minute walks
    Water: ✅

Steps 6/8 11,846

Haven’t accomplished much yet today as I slept in. I need to make sure I am in bed before 10pm so I am up early. After I finish my coffee I am going to walk for at least 25 minutes. I am expecting a few deliveries today so I hope they don’t come in middle of my walk. I have a telephone doctors appointment at 11 and after that I have to catch up on housework. I should be able to go out of the apartment by Thursday or Friday. Can’t wait to walk in the fresh air.

We got some good news yesterday from our premier. On Friday, we are entering stage 2 of the reopening of our province. Two of the things included in this stage are the pools and hair salons. Don’t know which one I am more excited about. Hopefully, the pool that I go to will open up. It is owned by a private company. I guess I will find out this week.

Today’s goals
    1. Walk 25 minutes minimum
    2. Walk 5 minutes every hour until hubby gets home
    3. Catch up on housework
    4. Stay within calorie goal
    5. Drink 8 cups of water
    6. Be in bed by 10 pm

Fingers and toes crossed for that pool opening! Great job getting those walks in despite being stuck indoors.
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    6/8 steps 8140
  • leeniekat
    leeniekat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Steps for Monday, June 8th: 10,175
  • 888Angie888
    888Angie888 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Steps:
    6/5 11,790
    6/6 6,021
    6/7 3,578
    6/8 8,783

Tweaked my back on Friday-so have not done any jumping. I am hoping it will be good enough tomorrow to start again.

Happy Tuesday!
  • Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    6 june 12.239
    7 june 10.538
    8 june 10.834
    9 june 18.021
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Steps:
    • Sunday June 7: 14 289 (corrected)
    • Monday June 8: 7 691

I'm back on track and have started playing with 16/8 Intermittent Fasting, it's a bit tricky to stay in the time limits - if I finish eating at 21:00 I need to wait until lunchtime the next day for my next meal, meaning I'm skipping breakfast which I'm not used to - but then again I have loads more to eat in a shorter time meaning I don't get hungry at all. I suppose it's just something I'll get used to fairly quickly, I also don't really want to do it every day so I'll do it tomorrow still and then again maybe on the weekend.

I'm also experimenting with staying in my macros - I adjusted (with the TDEE calculator recommendation) to go with 35% carbs, 35% fat and 30% protein, I noticed that in the past I'm always on 50% - 60% carbs so maybe this'll change up things a bit. I'm researching a lot as I don't want to eat meat every day, so experimenting with alternatives - today I had a spoon of peanut butter, so good!
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    6/9 steps none recorded as I forgot to retrieve my fitbit from the charger. Smh
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!!

Today was a great day, stayed under calories, resisted eating at Culvers, one of the only fast food places I like, and was productive at work.

Here is my weigh in this week

Week2
    PW - 175.2
    CW - 172.8
    GW - 145
  • mari_moulin
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Check-In: Tuesday, June 09

•Log all food: Yes ✅
    •Under Calories: Yes ✅
    •Exercise: GYM (💪🏻+ ❤️) ✅
    •Water: 2.250 L ✅
    •Steps: 12,133 ✅

Day 2 of getting myself back on track. I managed to get myself out of bed again to go to the gym. There were more people today than yesterday but not at all crowded. I pushed myself as much as I could but stayed reasonable as to not cause too much muscle damage. I’m beginning to feel the soreness which is unavoidable after having stopped completely for almost 3 months. I know I kept on with my runs but that’s got nothing on weight training. I’ve logged all my food and drank all my water and i am feeling very proud of my 2 WIN days. I hope I can keep this up and lose a good amount of weight before my surgery in September. 🤞🏻

June goals:

•Log all food. The good the bad and the ugly!
    •Stay on or under my allowed calorie goal.
    •Do at least 30 minute workout each day.
    •Drink at least 2L water each day.
    •Reach at least 10,000 steps each day.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    19shmoo69 wrote: »
    6/8 steps 8140

Gotcha!
    missGYST wrote: »
    Steps for Monday, June 8th: 10,175

Gotcha!
    Steps:
    6/5 11,790
    6/6 6,021
    6/7 3,578
    6/8 8,783

Tweaked my back on Friday-so have not done any jumping. I am hoping it will be good enough tomorrow to start again.

Happy Tuesday!

Gotcha! Hope your back is feeling better today 🙏🏻
    6 june 12.239
    7 june 10.538
    8 june 10.834
    9 june 18.021

Gotcha!
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    Steps:

I'm back on track and have started playing with 16/8 Intermittent Fasting, it's a bit tricky to stay in the time limits - if I finish eating at 21:00 I need to wait until lunchtime the next day for my next meal, meaning I'm skipping breakfast which I'm not used to - but then again I have loads more to eat in a shorter time meaning I don't get hungry at all. I suppose it's just something I'll get used to fairly quickly, I also don't really want to do it every day so I'll do it tomorrow still and then again maybe on the weekend.

I'm also experimenting with staying in my macros - I adjusted (with the TDEE calculator recommendation) to go with 35% carbs, 35% fat and 30% protein, I noticed that in the past I'm always on 50% - 60% carbs so maybe this'll change up things a bit. I'm researching a lot as I don't want to eat meat every day, so experimenting with alternatives - today I had a spoon of peanut butter, so good!

Gotcha! I like doing IF. It always gives me a good boost in my weight loss when I’m stuck for awhile. I never last too long on it tho.

uhm .... Gotcha? Lol. No worries about missing one day. Only means you have to do extra all the other days 😉
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Happy Tuesday!!

Today was a great day, stayed under calories, resisted eating at Culvers, one of the only fast food places I like, and was productive at work.

Here is my weigh in this week

Week2
    PW - 175.2
    CW - 172.8
    GW - 145

Great job resisting that horrid temptation! And all well worth it! Look at that amazing weight loss this week! Congratulations 🎉

• lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps:
    6/5 11,790
    6/6 6,021
    6/7 3,578
    6/8 8,783

Happy Tuesday!

Oh no! Hope your back feels better soon.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    Steps:

That was hard for me in the beginning to skipping breakfast. I am used to it now. I usually don’t end up doing IF on the weekends. It’s good to hear you are back on track.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options

I hate when I do that!
This discussion has been closed.