Food...control...the endless loop

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,634 Member
    Options
    I so appreciate all you wonderful role models here. Thank YOUS.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Food and the link to mental health is ROUGH. Like, I feel better mentally when I eat better. I know this. My brain is less foggy, I have more energy, and I seem to be able to handle stress better. BUT, fighting urges and my brain wanting to just say "*kitten* it, lets eat" can be so hard. Restriction is hard.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    restriction is hard - freedom too!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,851 Member
    Options
    While I’m basically maintaining, I do need to move some pounds along. I reviewed my daily logs to see if I could make some changes. It became glaringly apparent that while my actual meals were okay ✅ my snacks were way more than one full meal.
    So am I snacking because I’m still hungry an hour or two after eating? Or just doing crazy 😜 grab and go senseless eating? Am I even really hungry between meals or just bored/tired/anxious?
    I’m going to try upping my meal calories to see if that will carry me over to the next meal. It’s that or finding filling low cal munchies.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I find that snacking just became habitual. Not really snacking for any reason other than that is what I did when I walked into the kitchen. Since I work at home, that is pretty often.

I'm trying to break the habit completely - not even any basically freebie grape tomatoes. Because when they went up to a zillion dollars a quart I didn't buy them and I started snacking on other things instead.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed the sky-rocketing price with a smaller container combo for the tom's??
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Stopped buying them for a while - but this week they are down to $2.49 at my local store :)
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Options
    eeek.... wrong thread! Thankfully I spotted it before time was up!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    You tease!!!!!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,851 Member
    Options
    Maybe I’m not a big three meals a day person anymore? Lately it’s been easier to have something every few hours to take the edge off. My weight is stubbornly the same (almost exactly!) for the last ten days.
    Since hubby wants to dine together at regular meals, I’m considering eating minimally and planning intermittent small feeding between. Got to think this out so it doesn’t become a crappy food snackathon.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    At times I go multiple smaller snacks and no meals. But at some point of time I cave and the big meal happens. Not sure how it correlates to my weight changes
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I used to do many smaller meals....that feels problematic for me now - it is just too hard to start eating once I start. Amazing how our bodies change!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I go back and forth Laurie. I truly don't know whether there is a weight correlation. I don't have data.

I do know that when I first started losing weight using MFP I did change my eating over time to eat a small amount sufficient to move me forward a few hours without blowing the budget rinse lather repeat till all the calories are gone except for the chunk I am saving for yogurt etc at end of day. But that has always been interspersed with a single large meal and a number of smaller "snacks" throughout the day with (in my case) no real preset times for any of it.

I am not even 100% sure which way is "easier" or I prefer. I guess it depends on what else is happening in life?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Makes sense to me, PAV, that maybe there is no absolute/rational/best way to sort our food.
    My earlier post was supposed to read "it is just too hard to STOP eating once I start" - but I'm guessing you could figure that out.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I've managed not to go overboard since returning from the land of The Boy last week. But no big deficit took place. I'm thinking now that perhaps I'll just try to get into maintenance now rather than aiming for a real deficit between now and surgery next week. Accomplishing that will be victory enough :) and maintaining a deficit takes more brain power than I seem to have at the moment so there is no point beating a comatose horse.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    The Irish gal! 🌞 Hello👋
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The Irish gal! 🌞 Hello👋

Brit not Irish but I'll forgive you for mixing my residential status with my nationality - not sure the Irish will though 😂

Hi 👋
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Welcome back, Tinkerbellang!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Some better choices this week though still a little bingey, but much better and I got a bit more active and way more fruit & veg.

Any big plans for the weekend folks?

I have a busy one - I am heading to a candlelight rock orchestra gig tomorrow night, off to one of the forest parks in West Cork, tackling my final exam /assignment for my Statistics module of my degree and we have a bank holiday this Monday, so I am going to have a self-care day - some yoga, plant-based food and some reading.