Food...control...the endless loop

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    How many miiiiiiillllllllles is miles? And is a mile a mile if you walk many miles? or would it be 1.6 kilometers???!?! :hmmmm????? :naughty:

Sounds like fun though! Hope Laurie is feeling a bit better?And @Athijade too! Yo Yooly-ster! :wink: Yo lurk-sters! :lol:

I need to get out a bit more!

I'm alive. Work has just been crazy of late. It is a very busy time of the year for my position so I have been working extra hours and just not had much free time this week or last week.

My foot is still hurting quite a bit. I spoke to my doctor about it last week and she did not think an Xray was worth the cost. Broken or not the advice would be the same, stay off of it. Which for me is hard to do because I walk pretty much everywhere. Even if I take the bus or train I have to walk to the stop/station. So I am doing the best I can, but not stopping my life for it.

It does stink because I really want to start up workouts again and I just can't. Too painful for that.

Working on my meal list for next week, though it will be a work in process until after I go to the big Farmer's Market Saturday morning. I have plans this weekend since it is a holiday and I am off Monday. So I can actually do things and still have a day to rest back up.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,214 Member
    Enjoy your long weekend. But do take it easy on the painful foot! Those kinds of things take time to heal.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,156 Member
    Let's make a deal on the breaking us front and put a bit of a pause on it!🥺
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,763 Member
    I’m in
  • PAV8888
    You're the official front-runner in the stop breaking Laurie race! :neutral:
  • lauriekallis
    I’ll try my best 😜
  • Yoolypr
    Interesting research on how obesity changes the brain - maybe permanently! Kind of explains why it’s so hard to maintain weight loss.

https://neurosciencenews.com/dopamine-obesity-weight-loss-23444/
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,111 Member
    edited June 2023
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Interesting research on how obesity changes the brain - maybe permanently! Kind of explains why it’s so hard to maintain weight loss.

https://neurosciencenews.com/dopamine-obesity-weight-loss-23444/

Interesting read, though I note they only checked if there was improvement after weight loss through diet only, many people (though not all) would increase activity/exercise when attempting weight loss which does improve Dopamine levels.

In my opinion and from my own personal experience many people regain weight because they choose short-term unsustainable ways of eating / intense workouts that they can't integrate into life long term.

It also takes a lot of emotional bandwidth - particularly for those of us who emotionally or stress eat so it's one of the first things to fall by the wayside when life throws other issues at you.
  • Yoolypr
    Obviously more research to be done here. However I can relate to the notion that my internal satiation meter is permanently broken. I just never get the signal that I’m full/done and will eat well beyond my body’s needs.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,111 Member
    edited June 2023
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Obviously more research to be done here. However I can relate to the notion that my internal satiation meter is permanently broken. I just never get the signal that I’m full/done and will eat well beyond my body’s needs.

I have the same issue, I don't think it's a permanent problem for me, just one that needs a lot of brain work putting in, rather than physical/diet work, but I think that's more the exception than the rule for the general population.
  • lauriekallis
    Can't even - read / think / speak intelligently on this. But - I have observed that once someone "diets" they seem to set themselves up for a lifetime of challenge. Sometimes I see an overweight/obese teen diet for the first time - then it becomes the chicken or the egg question. But often that teen is not really overweight/obese until they start the cycle with a diet.
  • PAV8888
    Laurie's last mirrors my own personal experience.

Being normal weight but at the higher end as compared to others in school. Add a bunch of family challenges/changes. And a good summer ultra diet and winter regain to set up.

However I will disagree with the lack of internal measure of satiation IF (that's not a small IF) you only count food and only post weight loss for me

I.e. during weight loss I did discover a couple of cues that I'm actually hungry (usually if I start overthinking about food and the needle shows a large deficit brewing I now know what is going on!) And have discovered that (if I eat slow enough and normal level as opposed to super high reward food) I *can* tell that I've eaten enough to not be hungry for a few hours or to even be full.

In fact a few times when Fitbit/logging disagreed with actual body cues invariably the body cues were more accurate (based on weight changes) as opposed to the logging/Fitbit

Doesn't mean that i will always (or ever) listen/obey the signals and actually stop. Especially when other things are going on
  • Yoolypr
    Lost it big time yesterday with grab n go snacking. Meals were fine but in between the hamsters were screaming 🙀.
  • lauriekallis
    I hope you can wrangle those beasties into submission today, Yooly🤞🏻
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2023
    I've got bets on yooly smacking down some beasties! (smacking not snacking!)
  • lauriekallis
    Yeah, Yoolie!!!
  • Yoolypr
    I’m working really hard on limiting snacks or random tastes/nibbles. That’s generally what makes me go over the deficit. Not enough to gain weight but enough to prevent further loss.
  • Yoolypr
    I’m still dealing with some sadness and stress. Some days I’m in control until late evening, others it’s just a mess. Fortunately it seems to even out without a big weight uptick. But wow it’s a daily struggle.
    I’m hoping to fall back into a boring daily routine to ease the calorie juggling 🤹‍♂️.
  • lauriekallis
    Glad and really impressed that you’re managing to control it enough to avoid a significant weight uptick. Try and be gentle with you, Yooly
  • Yoolypr
    Still dealing with wild swings followed by crazy restrictions. I need to get my equilibrium back.