WaistAways Team Chat - August 2020

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    @micki48 SO many big hugs coming your way. It is indeed difficult right now, and the state of the US is disturbing even for those of us who do not live there. Aiming for one good habit at a time is a good way to go :heart:

The mind is a weird thing. Has anyone else taken an extra careful shower, and made sure to have on nice clean clothes for a virtual doctor's appointment? Mine is even just plain old telephone and I still had to get in the shower to get ready. Those old mom lessons just never wear off :smiley:

Have a good Thursday, everyone!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Good morning @micki48 I hope you had a restful night. There is no denying that the world is in a strange place lately and the US is pretty pathetic at the moment. All we can do is control what we can. I think it's really normal to ride the feelings roller-coaster right now. It sounds like you are pretty careful and stay in. We are too. This means we don't have access to the things that distracted us from our feelings before. No eating out. Shopping, movies, gyms, trips, seeing friends and family or whatever we were into. Forgive yourself and move forward. My husband and I have been talking a lot about the mental health aspect of life lately. We are trying to focus on hobbies lately and trying some new things. I hope you are able to perk up and move forward. You are strong and you will do this.
  • conleywoods
    Options
    @eggfreak Congrats on the weight loss. You have done an amazing job. I am so inspired by your dedication to weight your food and log so consistently. Excited for you to move to maintenence but will miss you here. Wonderful work!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Steps for 8/12 = 6772

• BaileyCat88
    BaileyCat88 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have an actual hangover. Last night I stressed about the state of the US, the pandemic, and especially the starting of school. I'm expected to be proficient in at least 8 online programs and I only have 2 more weeks to get there. I'm not adverse to learning new things, but I have to do it on my own with no help. I've been spending all day in front of a computer watching YouTube videos and reading tutorials which are only somewhat helpful. I'm angry that this is how I'm spending my summer. Yesterday was beautiful and I didn't get outside. This apparently leads to the consumption of vodka. :p
    OK, rant over.

I'm sending out a big hug to all in this group who are also stressed out. Whatever challenges you may be navigating, it's good to know that others have empathy and share your pain. I'm glad I found this group, reading your posts each morning makes me feel like I'm not alone in some of my concerns. Despite what is going on in the world, I am taking care of myself by getting healthy (OK, last night doesn't count) and getting healthy is what counts in the end.

Have a good day, everyone! Make it count.
  • jugar
    Options
    eggfreak wrote: »
    PW 149.5
    CW 145.5
    LTD 48.5, from my high of 194, 1/8/20
    I think I was so aware of not wanting to bump back over the 150 that I was super cautious with my tracking & good with my cals., the drop still surprises me. I don't connect my fitbit to MFP - I don't really do any deliberate 'exercise' but am active so maybe this last week was extra active - like hauling a big musty rug out of storage and into the sun every day to try to get rid of the smell.
    My goal in January was to lose 50 lbs in a year - a pound a week. It did go faster for me and no matter the speed, I'm just happy to feel this good. I credit this community a lot. Many tips gleaned and encouragement from such a variety of people with a variety of situations and challenges.
    I'll be checking out the maintenance group in the next days - I might try to go a few more pounds, why? my sister asks. To see if I can lose this belly pouch - a few older women have warned that I might not be able...something to do with being 51? :) If I can't, no big deal, I feel great as is. Now if I can just make myself be as determined as so many of you and do some exercises to tone. I think that weighing my food and logging my intake will be part of my life for a lot longer - I've slipped backwards at least twice before from where I'm at now and I don't want to ever have that slow creep gain on me again. My new goal will be to be in this weight vicinity this same time next year.
    You are THIS CLOSE to hitting your 50 pound loss! Don't worry if next week you bounce back a week bit - 4 pounds is a lot in a week, and sometimes the body just says "YIKES" and panics a bit. It will settle down for sure! But I think we can all see that a week of "super cautious tracking" made all the difference. The exercise by itself won't usually do this (unless you are really doing a ton), but diet by itself often will. Good for you! And it will be my total pleasure to welcome you to the Goal Zone! It is a skill, just like losing, so it is good to stay here on the team and also join in the other maintainers from other teams on that chat thread. Lots of approaches, lots of info.

So happy dance! You're getting there!

PS. I'm 66. the belly pouch can be beat :smiley: There might still be some loose skin, especially if you grew any children in there, but you can and will flatten that belly! OK, maybe you won't, but I have gotten there with lots of core exercise and maintaining the right weight zone for me. We won't talk about my thighs though... :grimace:
  • jugar
    Options
    I have an actual hangover. Last night I stressed about the state of the US, the pandemic, and especially the starting of school. I'm expected to be proficient in at least 8 online programs and I only have 2 more weeks to get there. I'm not adverse to learning new things, but I have to do it on my own with no help. I've been spending all day in front of a computer watching YouTube videos and reading tutorials which are only somewhat helpful. I'm angry that this is how I'm spending my summer. Yesterday was beautiful and I didn't get outside. This apparently leads to the consumption of vodka. :p
    OK, rant over.

I'm sending out a big hug to all in this group who are also stressed out. Whatever challenges you may be navigating, it's good to know that others have empathy and share your pain. I'm glad I found this group, reading your posts each morning makes me feel like I'm not alone in some of my concerns. Despite what is going on in the world, I am taking care of myself by getting healthy (OK, last night doesn't count) and getting healthy is what counts in the end.

Have a good day, everyone! Make it count.

Drink plenty of water and get outside for at least 15 minutes every couple of hours. Set an alarm! You'll think better with some breaks, and then you won't need to get too angry and hit the vodka, hopefully! It is hard these days - thanks for being here!!!
  • BaileyCat88
    BaileyCat88 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Drink plenty of water and get outside for at least 15 minutes every couple of hours. Set an alarm! You'll think better with some breaks, and then you won't need to get too angry and hit the vodka, hopefully! It is hard these days - thanks for being here!!!

Setting a timer is great advice! Thanks @jugar :) Happy vibes today!

• EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    @jugar CW 184
    Grrrrr!
    I readjusted m’y calculated food and believe it’ll get me going down, again. I’m ready! I’m walking more and swimming, too. I guess my body is super good at water retention when it’s so bloody hot! Well, pretty soon, it’ll be Fall with a school schedule, 13 credits, and all that jazz.
    Holding onto the handle bars!
    Xoxo
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I just want to give everyone a great big hug!!!! It is a hard, hard time. I pray for everyone's well-being right now.

@conleywoods We went huckleberry picking a few years ago in Montana when we were visiting my cousin. My kids still talk about how fun it was. My cousin made huckleberry pancakes the next day. We bought several jars of jam at the farmers market. Good times.

I have actually had a better week as far as exercise. Diet is good, not great, but good. Until today. My Aunt gave my girls money to buy lunch. One of them got a double cheeseburger. I took a few bites. The entire thing had like 1200 calories🤦‍♀️ Thats motivation to never take a bite of my kids food. The rest of the day was good, but I'm still worried about tomorrow's weigh in.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind, encouraging words and support. Hugs right back at you. I've lost my wagon the last two days. Looking for it now by coming here. I did do one little thing right. I had too much food at dinner and trying to be mindful, I realized it and gave it to my hubby, who found it to be just the right amount for him.

These indeed are times of great trial for our mental health. I'm a fairly stable person, but man, this stuff can really get to you. Plus, I'm finding it difficult to get my exercise in, besides what is naturally occurring chasing a 2 year old. Some weeks we move a lot and some weeks we sit a lot. This seems to be a sitting week. Plus, the yard is going to have to be off limits for a while. With all this crazy rain, there are soooooooooo many mosquitoes and my poor little sweetheart is so allergic to them and gets REALLY huge welts. We went out yesterday and she must have 20 bites. :(

I feel like I have very little discipline. I am not a perfectionist nor am I a super strict dieter. (I have never been one to completely eliminate a food group.) I am not competitive. What I am doing is not working. It's not working when I have a good week. It's not working when I have a bad week. I'm not sure how or if I can change that. I have not lost any weight in six months. I go up and down and up and down the same few pounds (and I am grateful I have essentially maintained) but, I am frustrated that I am stuck here. I know people my age can lose weight because I see some of you who are close to my age losing like champs. I'm not sure how to fix this. I need something. I need motivation. I need to lose. So, I will come here daily and keep at this. I'm not giving up, but I am tired of being where I am. Like literally a straight line horizontally on my weight trend. Thanks for letting me vent.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh and @eggfreak Congratulations on your fantastic loss and being so close to your goal. Amazing work you've done. Don't mind me being a whiney baby. :smile:
  • jugar
    edited August 2020
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    I feel like I have very little discipline. I am not a perfectionist nor am I a super strict dieter. (I have never been one to completely eliminate a food group.) I am not competitive. What I am doing is not working. It's not working when I have a good week. It's not working when I have a bad week. I'm not sure how or if I can change that. I have not lost any weight in six months. I go up and down and up and down the same few pounds (and I am grateful I have essentially maintained) but, I am frustrated that I am stuck here. I know people my age can lose weight because I see some of you who are close to my age losing like champs. I'm not sure how to fix this. I need something. I need motivation. I need to lose. So, I will come here daily and keep at this. I'm not giving up, but I am tired of being where I am. Like literally a straight line horizontally on my weight trend. Thanks for letting me vent.
    I know that tune! It is so hard to find the right way to eat that actually results in getting to a weight that is healthy for you. I know you say you are not one to completely eliminate a food group, but going in the direction of substituting one for another at least most of the time can work. Try to get as many of your carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits as possible, for example, instead of grains, flour, and sugars. Your body will still be happy because they are carbs, but it is a lot more food on your plate when it is all made up of veg and fruit. I also could never stick with a low carb diet, but leaning heavily this way in the carb department really helped. Believe it or not, you will not crave the grains and flour products as much as you think. There are other subs that can work too - get fats from fish, vegetables, nuts, and seeds instead of from fatty meats, cheese, and butter. Don't think of this as eliminating food groups, just re-sourcing those food groups. I think spending too long at the same weight means you really need to look at these kinds of changes, even if you think they are impossible. It is amazing how little you will want some of them after a surprisingly short while. Yes, there will still be triggers when you eat some of them again, but it is amazingly possible to keep with your subs for most of the time. No competition, just getting to where you want to be. One little change at a time. You know the drill...
  • jugar
    Options
    Thursday drawing to a close here already!

Here are the HEADS UP for Friday weigh-ins:
    @deniners2
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @Steph1498
    @evangsimmons170
    @SMcFall0215
    @CanadianGiraffe
    @happimess01
    @Pearl4686
    @BaileyCat88

and still due today:
    @conleywoods
    @thinfairy2020

Thanks!
  • conleywoods
    Options
    PW: 215.2
    CW: 215.0

This is okay, but just the other day it was 214.2. So weird how it can do that. Today was kinda hard for me. Just coping with all the new stuff in life. Waiting to hear if I can go full time this next year and I need to do a ton of continuing ed in a short period of time to move on the pay scale. Food has been good and I walked for an hour. Missed my ballet workout because last minute our family needed help with a project at the lake cabin. So we headed to the lake and had a BBQ. We got home at 9pm. I feel pretty tired. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully I'll get more done. Basically I didn't get everything done today that I wanted to and that makes me crabby. Perfectionist problems 😳
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Friday weigh in
    SW: 212
    PW: 193.8
    CW: 192.2
    Hard work paid off despite a wobble at the beginning of the week.

@micki48 I've fallen of the wagon more times then I can count over the last few years so I know how hard this is! Once off, it's just so difficult to get back in the 'zone'. I'm still early this round, so I may fall off again, but one thing I've found, is that excersize calories are often over-estimated on MFP. So I've decided not to eat back all of my 'calories out'. Also, I make a point of still eating all my favourite foods, just less of them. This way I'm less likely to feel 'deprived' which tends to lead to over-eating. I'm no expert at this, but hopefully, will all the suggestions on here, you will find your groove again soon!
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    @jugar i may not have access to a scale/the internet next week. Can I skip one or just record the same weight?
    Thanks
  • theweeonemfp
    theweeonemfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so well! I've been rubbish at logging and exercising to be honest. Today I've logged everything so far and came up with a plan just to meal prep every 5 days which will begin from tomorrow as I'll do all the prep today. I'm still 13.8 but hoping by Monday I get a couple off as I've been off track and hoping to slam the diet!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    @Micki48 As for the state of the country, stop reading the news, stop watching the news... You trying to stay on top of everything going on is pointless, it's going to happen either way, so make your world about what you see, feel and experience.. by watching the media, and social media you are seeing and feeling what they want you to experience.. I don't do social media anymore, haven't since the beginning of the year, I only look at our local news occasionally, or when someone tells me something happened.. Such as there was a gas explosion on Monday that leveled several row homes and damaged some up to 2 blocks away, it was horrible, so far 2 people have lost their lives, but the way the community has come together to help one another is wonderful, and it's what this country is really about, and it's out there, you just have to stop reading into the narrative that happens EVERY ELECTION YEAR. The only thing you can change or make better is how you see, feel, interact and experience your world. So just wake up every morning and say "What can I do to make my world a better place..." The answer will never be to worry or stress... It will be, to be a kinder , gentler, more understanding person.. Which I think you already have down... :smile:

As for the weight loss, yeah I got nothing.. Maybe just do what you do, except leave 2 bites of everything you eat and throw it away, I've been doing that with dinner, but just started, so I do not know if it will make a difference...

Steps for 8/13 = 8920 We took the dogs for a walk, and I wanted it to be a longer walk, but my stupid feet have been acting up..
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    PW 152.4
    CW 152.2

@micki48 I feel for you. I have been stuck too. I am taking measurements and I can fit into pants that I couldn't button in April. Do you use any measurements besides the scale? For me personally, I find focusing on exercise helps me the most. I think all those endorphins help combat stress and I tend to make better food choices. Can you wake up a little earlier and get in a walk or pilates before your granddaughter comes? I know you have talked about nap time, and I do that to, but when I start my day with exercise, it sets the mood for the day. Of course we all know its 80% diet. I can't cut out food groups either. I try to have the mindset of what CAN I eat instead of can't. I can eat one salad a day. I can eat one low carb meal a day. Or do it by the week. Small, consistent changes will help you. I have had an extra 20 pounds for almost 5 years so clearly I'm no expert, but I haven't given up.
This discussion has been closed.