WaistAways Team Chat - August 2020

Options

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, my name is Courtney, and I'm new on MFP so I'm still working out the navigation of the forums. The back button doesn't always bring me back where I thought I was! I'll sort it out eventually!

Can't wait to get started with the September challenge. My username is PlaneMonkey because I'm an aircraft maintenance engineer in Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

Like a lot of people I've yo-yo'd with my weight over my entire adult life due to changes in activity levels and injuries that come and go. I have enough willpower for one person but whenever I'm in a relationship I get too comfy with sitting on the couch and eating good food with wine instead of staying active. I don't have enough willpower for both of us and my husband loves desserts! I'm hoping this app and this group will help me stay strong and honest with my food diary.

Looking forward to hearing more from everyone.

Thanks
    Courtney

Welcome! I've only been through Ottawa once briefly on a road trip but it was beautiful. I'd love to properly visit some day.

If you love desserts, I have been collecting low calorie dessert ideas lately. Turns out you can eat just, so many cookies and donuts if you're a bit clever about the ingredients.

Has anyone else encountered the Weight Watchers zero points cheesecake recipe? It's not remotely zero calories but it does seem to be only around 200 for a pretty hefty slice (under 800 for the whole cake). I keep meaning to try it.

Needless to say, I've been spending far too much time on the volume eating boards lately. XD
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,260 Member
    Options
    @evangsimmons170 Rhonda, remind me where you’re from in Texas. I’m thinking you said near Austin. Watching this hurricane named Laura getting all angry. Hope you are clear of its track. 🤗
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! I feel like I am finally finding balance between work and home. I have been eating well and getting my workouts in.. It sounds like we will get to go back to school after Labor Day. Overall, I feel ok with that. The baby has been getting up at 5am everyday, which means I have been working out during my lunch, which won't be possible when I go back to work. Praying she starts sleeping in until 6.
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    @Terytha I looked up that cheesecake recipe, I'll give it a try if I can hunt down those ingredients, thanks a bunch!

@jugar I'm actually also in Québec, on the north side of the river from Ottawa where I work. This is my first time tagging people in a post, next time I'll try to 'quote' and see how that goes. I'm on the mobile app, haven't tried it on a desktop yet which you mentioned was easier. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Terytha wrote: »
    Needless to say, I've been spending far too much time on the volume eating boards lately. XD

Now I know what it is called! I have been doing this for a long time now - and it is the only way I can maintain at around 115 pounds. You don't need many calories to maintain there, but I love to eat LOTS of food. So as long as I stick (mostly) to foods with lots of volume and not too many calories, it works. I feel satisfied because my plates of food are quite huge, but I am getting only the amount I need. Now I can look up volume eating and find more recipes :smiley: Thanks!

You're welcome! The volume eating group on Reddit is saving me from my sweet tooth lately with all their amazing low cal desserts.

I keep seeing stuff about lavash bread too, and I hear you can make solid pizza out of it. So I'm thinking I might give it a shot when I have some time.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,089 Member
    Options
    HEADS UP! Week 4 weigh-ins due

t9a5h7x5n7sz.png

Tuesday - Wednesday:
    @CM_73
    @evelynladams527

Thursday:
    @eggfreak
    @conleywoods

And every day from this weigh-in forward is part of the September challenge! So let's get September off to a good start. You can do it :heart:
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Checking in for Wednesday!

Welcome to all the new members! This is a great group!

This week has had lots of appointments. Most of which have been at the homeschool program. We got the kids all signed up and made their learning plans. Since my husband's a teacher they gave him free rein of the curriculum room. We brought home an entire carload of stuff. The kids are excited but maybe a little nervous 😁 I haven't done much traditional exercise this week but lots of reorganizing and cleaning to make space for all the school stuff.

I definitely do the volume eating thing but I have not applied it to desserts. Don't know why not😾 I have apparently missed the boat? I'm getting on board with volume desserts immediately!

I'm still doing lots of continuing education for work but I have a good system going so less stressful. Starting to get emails from work which starts September 8th. Meh

@jguldi11 I spent about 3 months trying to master weight loss without logging. It's one of the long term goals of noom. I tried really hard and I was able to maintain but didn't drop a pound. I also wasn't much for exercise then. It can be done but takes skill.
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, almost Thursday. I’ve tried to get this info posted all freakin day and am finally here. Sheesh! I guess the ebb & flow are out of sync or something.
    @jugar I weighed 185.5 this morning. Sigh.
    I’ve been enjoying salty foods (& food in general) more than needed recently, which hasn’t done me any favors! So, this week I’ll work on serving my own food. It’s time for posters on the cupboards to illustrate proper serving sizes with some of the A-Team for added assistance. 🐘
    I’ll get caught up with this weeks steps...sorry I missed the last 2 weeks.
    The semester starts next week so I’ll start being more diligent with increased time on the computer.
    Nice to have the slightly cooler temps - who knows if it’ll flip back to summer!?
    Stay safe, everyone.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Wow, what a beautiful view @ells_runs

Thank you for the lovely welcomes. I have had a couple of NSV's today - a loss on the scales, plus my fiance said I didn't snore last night for the first time in a reeeeeally long time. Haha. I am putting it down to the lifestyle changes!

I hope I can lose some weight, not just for the wedding but for me :) It will be lovely to look nice on the day though, especially as it was already cancelled once because of Coronavirus it will be extra special when it finally does happen!

I am looking forward to seeing what September brings.

Do we get set specific goals on this group or is it more just about weighing in and sharing what we're doing? Also do we have to weigh-in in lbs? I have been using kg's, really as a psychological thing because it stops me stressing as I don't know what the numbers mean. lol. :D
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    @jugar
    PW 146
    CW 149
    I'm just glad it's not more.
  • jugar
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Do we get set specific goals on this group or is it more just about weighing in and sharing what we're doing? Also do we have to weigh-in in lbs? I have been using kg's, really as a psychological thing because it stops me stressing as I don't know what the numbers mean. lol. :D

Hi Jess! Specific goals are up to you. We have a step/exercise team where you can set a daily step goal. This can also include other forms of exercise, though! We use a step converter to "translate" exercise minutes into steps if you are not using a tracker or prefer other forms of exercise than walking or running. Here is the chart if you're curious:
    https://www.arhs-nc.org/live-healthy/data/StepConversionChart.pdf

You can also set daily goals for calorie deficit (how many calories under your basic "survival" calories you eat), exercise minutes, water, hours of sleep - anything you are trying to improve or track. You report on these here in the chat every day (or when you can!). Once the new September thread starts (tomorrow or Saturday), we usually post our goals and how we want to track them. You might want to say 1 pound per week, or always a loss every week no matter how tiny, or whatever you want. These can always be adjusted if you successfully discover a way that does NOT work!

Go ahead and post in kg if you like, but I will enter them in pounds in our spreadsheet - just so everyone is on the same units.

Have a look at the spreadsheet if you like - it is interesting to see what we track, including "green weeks" (our losses are recorded in green, even if they are only 0.1 pounds). And you can catch any mistakes I make!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PgQmU9JNmgVfNMxSczLdxn2ibaEZtnXXVU7ObxTDXno/edit?usp=sharing
  • jugar
    Options
    So good to see all of you, as usual :blush:

@eggfreak -- Sylvia! You are there! I was getting worried... Yes, you have had a slip. Yes you know what to do. So let's go! Write to the advice columnist, and then write the answer. Be astonished, and follow the sage and wonderful advice. Or if you write to me, I'll tell you the usual - have ONE perfect day. Log it all, and even if you have absolutely no exercise, be sure to keep your food just where you want it. Go for it!

@evelynladams527 good to see you too! I love your idea of portion size posters. Or you could look into the "volume eating" that @Terytha was talking about. There is a lot of info out there, and it means portions can be quite impressive. In any case, you'll get there!

@Gidgitgoescrazy you get a kick in the rear too! You are giving yourself a good one with your plans, and look how far you have come :astonished: When I enter your weight in the spreadsheet, I remember how exciting it was when you made it to 175. Now here you are heading for the bottom of the 160s. Yeeee hah!

@Terytha - I wish I had the magic wand to wave that would make it possible for you to always work from home. That sounds like such a great day, even if your arms are jello!

I have to run to assign some more newcomers to a team - don't forget all the weigh-ins that are due tomorrow:

@deniners2
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @evangsimmons170
    @SMcFall0215
    @CanadianGiraffe
    @happimess01
    @Pearl4686
    @BaileyCat88
  • jugar
    Options
    PW - 323.3