Mission Slimpossible - December 2020 Team Chat

Replies

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,543 Member
    @raleighgirl09 I often feel like I don't have much to share either, but I find that checking in does help so I come and post anyway! Good job in pre-logging too, such a useful tip!
    Also, thanks for sharing the success & defeat info - it was an interesting read!

@trooworld Your pre-pandemic commute is crazy!! No wonder you're loving working from home!

@adhmrh Those are some great questions to ask ourselves, thanks for sharing.

@vegan4lyfe2012 Lmao I am now picturing the rickshaw with a motor! :lol: Hitting a roo wouldn't be as bad as a moose I wouldn't think. Aren't mooses (meese? no) huge? Roos are a variety of sizes, the largest about the size of a human but very solid. And fast. And stupid! When the weather has been dry and a lot of the grass has dried up, they hang out on the sides of the highways where there is still some feed, and they're usually out mostly at night. They're very flighty and really quick so you often only have a second to react - and a lot of the time they flee ACROSS the road instead of away from it. Often, instead of you hitting them with the front of the car, they will actually run straight into the side of the car. They've been known to bound up on the bonnet (hood) and smash windscreens too. I hit one in my old Subaru WRX a few years ago, the damage cost over A$12,000 to repair (luckily we had insurance) so they can do a lot of damage! Hence the big bullbar with side rails, as much protection as we can get. We have hit a few roos with this one and they haven't done any damage at all. I have a similar but smaller bar on my SUV as well, it hasn't held up quite as well in the couple of times I've hit roos in it, but still better than replacing the whole front end of the car or damaging a radiator!
    Your dinner sounds wonderful, I'm glad you had the calories available to be able to enjoy it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yesterday was a good day overall. Work was still stressful but that's the last day of the stressful period (month-end is now complete, I just have a few reports to compile today but they're not hard and there's no time pressure). I did manage some exercise throughout the day, a few minutes walking here and there. We had my mum visiting last night (so she can take care of my son today while hubby is away at harvest) and normally this would mean drinking a few beers and doing no exercise. Instead, I did a 5-mile ride on my stationary bike, and afterwards enjoyed one can of beer with her. Small steps, but heading in the right direction.

On my ride, I listened to a podcast by The Mindset Mentor (Rob Dial, I found him on Spotify), an episode called "Conquering the Inner B*tch!". I found it quite insightful, he talked about how he's been mentoring people based on his own experiences for 14 years and he still fights that inner voice that tells him not to work out etc. It kind of struck a chord with me - I do have that inner voice and sometimes she is a *kitten*. She tells me I'm too tired to work out or that I've already stuffed up my diet today so I might as well just keep eating, or that nobody wants to listen to what I have to say so I should just stay quiet. So I was quite interested in his tips to help silence that inner voice and thought I'd share here in case it can help anybody else too.

100 DAY CHALLENGE GOALS
    Day 72: Thursday 3 December
    1. Log calories eaten: Yes - 49/72
    2. 20 mins exercise: Yes - 41/72
    3. Record a calorie deficit: Yes - 38/72
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Success can only come after doing, doing, and doing again—and falling down more times than you can count and getting back up.
    How are you allowing defeat to teach you?
    How are you separating knowledge from doing?
    How are you seeing yourself build in success by getting back up and trying again?[/i]

How great is that!! I am going to spend some serious time with those questions and honestly answering them. I need to look up the HalfSizeMe podcast too.

@vegan4lyfe2012 Great job on having such a good week! I hope you keep it up. Those YouTube videos look really nice and relaxing. I watched A cozy Cottage, Home life in Late Autumn. I loved how she quoted from the Velveteen Rabbit. “Becoming” was my 2020 word that I focused on. I hope that you can find peace in your hectic life. I saw this quote about the 5 x 5 rule that so resonated with me.

ci61q9w6m7h7.jpg

@adhmrh That is a great thing to ask yourself about the food you shouldn’t eat but want to. I have been really working on the mindset that food isn’t going anywhere so it’s OK to not eat it. I can always have it at some point because it’s not going anywhere. Believe it or not, that has been a hard concept for me to grasp. :grin:

@trooworld It’s hard to say not to Godiva chocolate!! I would have eaten it all too. I hope your headache is better. <3 I heard CA is shutting down in certain areas. Are you being affected at this time?

Hi Team! Well, the good news is that tomorrow evening I get to have the staff Christmas party at my house. My pastor’s wife said they will be able to come and probably stay for a little while. I told her whatever time we can get will be great and not worry about food because I always make way more than we all can eat. So, I’m excited and have been cleaning all day and making my detailed list of everything I need to do tomorrow. I will try to remember to take a pic of my charcuterie board because I think it’s going to be epic!! B) I seriously can't wait to eat the blue cheese, the fig jam, and the prosciutto. Ohhh and I'm making frosted eggnog cookies. Yum! <3

NEW YEAR CHALLENGE: 29 Days until January 1st
    1.Fast Clean:I fasted 20 hours today.
    2.Workout: No workout today but yes to housework and mopping the floors.
    3.Eat on plan: I ate on plan
  • Cornanda
    Cornanda Posts: 1,005 Member
    OK. I skipped reading posts for 2 days (but did track my food and exercise). So much good stuff to read today! I know I'm gonna miss responding to something important so please forgive me.

@TeresaW1020 - Oh no for your Pastor and Oh Yes that the party is on and he can make it! Have fun!

@katmary71- chocolate kisses? Beware. Do not buy the new white chocolate kind with sugar cookie bits in them. Seriously addicting. I ate 5 and then moved them far away where I cannot see them!

@raleighgirl09 - I've noticed lately that I get tempted by foods I can see. Rearranging the office spread is genius when that's an issue. Many times your posts have encouraged me that I need to be honest with myself. I've uncovered several ways that I was not doing that, and worked on them. Really, I think that's the most important new ingredient in my new secret sauce. Try to get on here every day whether you have good news or bad and see what happens. You know we are not judgy. We can help you get anchored until you settle back in.

@TwistedSassette - thank you for the Aussie lesson, I enjoyed it very much. I never, ever thought about hitting a kangaroo on the road!

@buniphuphu - you are so in the zone right now. Non food rewards. Tackled the exercise obstacles. Weight bumped up a bit, but did not get you down and yeah! Now it's right back down. Admirable!

And to I can't remember! Happy New Rear- love it and got a great laugh out of it! Thanks!

Happy Thursday folks. I went a bit wild over Thanksgiving weekend. Some aspects of my feast lasted until Sunday. However, I've been working really hard the rest of the week and am hopeful about weigh in tomorrow. Today I ran into a store for a return and allowed myself to look at and dream about some smaller sizes I might be able to wear soon.....

See ya tomorrow!
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,543 Member
    ***WEEKLY WEIGH-IN***
    TwistedSassette
    Weigh in day: Friday
    SW: 138.3kg
    PW: 133.8kg
    CW: 133.3kg
    LTD: 5.0kg
    LTW: 0.5kg
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 689 Member
    Week 1 weigh in Thursday (03Dec2020) @broncobuddee
    Previous weight:179.3
    Current weight: 180.9
    LTD MFP #2 54.1 lbs
    LTD overall 119.1 lbs

Ah, not surprised by this - several days of higher calories, not to mention higher sodium and standing a lot. I'll be working on loss overall in December and I am not going to get all worked up over information that is not surprising. On a better note - more habit tracker check marks will land on that spreadsheet today! =>
    Starting with the pre-logging last night, I stacked the deck for today’s successful execution of the plan. I had some unplanned chips for lunch and ended up not having what I had planned but I wasn’t hungry after that and it was ok. So, starting with one of the things that has been my strongest ally and tool in the toolbelt – the pre-logging – I had a great day. All green checks and yeses on the list.

Check in: yes
    Water: yes
    Food logged (pre-logged?): yes (yes)
    Basic calorie goal: yes
    10,000 steps: yes

I changed my weight goal to 163…my birth year @vegan4lyfe which I thought was actually a neat change and, lucky for me, I was born in a year that makes sense for my weight and goals…. => I updated my MFP progress goal for 1 pound a week versus .5. Honestly – I had changed it to .5 so the red wasn’t so deep but that wasn’t helpful.
    Interestingly, today has been much less in the urges to eat (and overeat). It was easier today to not get started on that path and I’m just glad for that – being able to just say no and be ok with that is a win and I’m happy for it. Tomorrow is another day and I’ll need to do it again.

I wrote once that, like an Olympian athlete training alone a thousand days with no one watching, there is a ‘vacuum’ to doing all of the weight loss steps day in and day out, large and small steps and measures needed every day to be successful. Most of these steps are done in isolation and don’t show to the larger world. All the choices made, from what to eat, when and how to exercise, how to think about it all, habits, tricks and tips. 99% of it is accomplished not under the eyes of those who see us in snapshot form – from time to time when enough time has elapsed to notice a trimmer waist or a leaner face. Smaller clothes….smaller you.

But there is not less work, no matter how it gets viewed….or not viewed. Whether anyone else sees it or not, whether they ever actually know about the million choices and decisions that went into each ounce and pound lost, it required work and dedication for as many minutes and seconds needed. Some days are easier than others – but it’s still so many, many small choices and decisions and they are mostly accomplished alone when no one is watching. That has to be ok. That has to be not taken for granted or forgotten or some of those choices will slip and you’ll (I’ll) wonder where they went and why they are hard to get back to – but they can be gotten back to, the same as they were initially arrived to. Olympians are not made in a day and neither is losing weight. There are some defeats and failures along the way and those are also mostly done alone – and that is the part we strive hardest to not show. It’s likely this is a very important time to make those around us aware of everything they don’t see. Most crucially, we must strive even harder to make our own self see this so we can move on to the next phase in the training.

I’m working to be an Olympian in this journey.
  • davidji82
    davidji82 Posts: 165 Member
    Hi all
    Week 1
    davidji82
    Weigh In Day: Friday
    PW: 304.8
    CW: 302.6
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,868 Member
    @adhmrh Thank you! Yes, the headache is gone today, thankfully! It was still a bit there yesterday. I like what you read in the book, that is interesting. Have a great day!

@vegan4lyfe2012 Yes! I agree. That is true about the chocolate bar, I only eat it when it is right in front of my face lol! Thankfully yesterday was better and my headache was mostly gone. Thanks for your support. That's great you are having a good week. It sounds like you've had a major mindset shift, that's so great.

@raleighgirl09 I love HalfSizeMe podcast. She is so smart. Wow, that is really great, what you posted. I tend to be hard on myself when I mess up. Maybe I'll try to learn from it next time. That's great you didn't eat the planned chips, you listened to your body and that is hard sometimes.

@TwistedSassette Yes! And I've done it for 7 1/2 years now and haven't lost my mind yet lol! I do listen to a lot of audiobooks on my commute, which keeps me sane. I'm glad the stress has lifted for you. That's good you were able to have some downtime with your mom. That sounds like a good podcast episode, thanks for the recommendation. Congrats on the loss! You've been very consistent, wow!

@TeresaW1020 I really like the HalfSizeMe podcast. I hope you do, too. Girl, that chocolate was so good, I couldn't stop eating it! lol My headache is better today, thanks. I think pretty much all of CA is going to be shutting down, me included. :( But it's our own fault, I've seen a lot of people out there doing foolish things and not wearing masks. They are the spreaders of the virus. Hopefully, it helps to shut everything down because it sure it hurting businesses. It may affect my job, I'm not sure. I love charcuterie boards and have made a few. I can get the ingredients from my little local international market for pretty cheap (relatively speaking). What else are you making? Congrats on the loss!!!

@Cornanda Good luck for weigh-in. It's good to dream about some smaller sizes, gives you something to hope for!

Hi all. My headache is now gone, thankfully. Yesterday was much better in all ways. No chocolate, no extra things. I am hopeful for tomorrow's weigh-in.
  • adhmrh
    adhmrh Posts: 112 Member
    username: adhmrh
    **FRIDAY WEIGH IN DAY**

PW: 242.8 lb
    CW: 241.4 lb

LTD: 61.6 lb

Loss this week: 1.4 lb
    Dec LTD: 1.4 lb
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,126 Member
    @TwistedSassette – Yes, moose are huge. So it sounds like kangaroos are to you as deer are to me. Usually the deer go straight across the roadway right in front of you, so they are hit head-on. Either smashing the front end or flying up over the hood and into the windshield. Thankfully, when I hit one going 75 mph on the highway, it didn’t go over the windshield. But it did do about $5,000 US worth of damage. One time, my mom was driving her van and she saw a buck on the side of the road. She slowed down because she thought he was going to cross. Instead, it attacked and slammed head/antlers first into the side of her van. Funny now that I think about it...she never did get that dent fixed. And nice job getting that exercise in, even when your inner voice didn’t want to do it. Makes the beer that much more of a treat, right?

@TeresaW1020 – I watched that one, too. Love the Velveteen Rabbit. I’ve heard the 5 by 5 rule before but, MAN-O-MAN is it hard to let go of some things! I hope you have a very lovely staff party this evening…and send people home with food that would tempt you :wink: And congrats on your weigh in! Your January goal is totally achievable! Woot Woot!

@raleighgirl09 – Oh my! Your speech is so inspirational! I felt like I could even hear Chariots of Fire background music while I read it! I want to train to be an Olympian, too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSav51fVlKU

@davidji82 – Nice loss! And since your photo is a game controller, I simply must ask if you were one of the lucky few to score a PS5 console? We tried way too many times - Sony, Wal-Mart, Meijer, GameStop...online systems kept freezing on us. We got so far as to getting one added to the Wal-Mart shopping cart, but then the system crashed. So frustrating!

@trooworld – Man, you must be rich this year with all the gas money you’ve saved! That’s crazy!!!

@adhmrh – Nice drop!

Well, I hate to admit it, but I had a boo-boo last night. I planned for 2 slices of cheese-free Great Beyond pizza and 1 breadstick. My son wanted to link up PS4s to play for a couple hours since he’s about to leave for a week long underway. So while hanging out with him online, I ended up eating a 3rd slice and an extra 1 ½ breadsticks. I wasn't even hungry. I think it's because I could hear him eating something. When the day was done, I realized I had enough calories for the 3 slices of pizza…but not the breadsticks. Ended the day over calories by just over 300. I will NOT beat myself up, though. Dusting myself off and back on track. I know what to do the next time…just don’t order the breadsticks!

So I started today off the right way…14oz of Prince of Wales black tea, then 25 oz water, and breakfast consisting of soy yogurt and almond granola. Feeling good about today. It’s going to be a busy one since it’s my last day of work before the surgery. Gotta stop in to the office and get things tied up. I hope all of you have a Fantastic Friday and make good choices!
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Thank you for the warm welcome

Krea4
    Sunday (I had a few issues being able to message on the chat. All.sorted now)
    PW:
    CW: 145.50
    LTD: 8.8
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    @raleighgirl09 I hear you about checking in, I haven't been doing that great this year diet-wise but I've found keeping up the routine helps me mentally just staying on top of things. Plus I miss you when you're away!

@TwistedSassette awesome ute, love it! I can't even imagine watching out for kangaroos!

@adhmrh I like that about food, what's the name of your book?

@vegan4lyfe2012 My nephews do gingerbread houses through the church every year, this year we're picking them up then making cookies to send relatives. Apparently my SIL is getting into her Hershey kisses too, hopefully there will be some left to make cookies with since we're sending them to a bunch of relatives!

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    @TeresaW1020 I'm glad you'll still be able to have a party, that's wonderful!

@Cornanda Thanksgiving has thrown me for a loop too! I made mashed potatoes again, they're so stinking good I keep wanting to eat them twice a day. I'll stay away from those kisses!

@vegan4lyfe2012 OMG, I played that song for an organ recital, I love that song!

Thursday/Friday check-in
    Calories- under I think!
    Exercise- usual stuff

I had to go back to the ER yesterday, I'm really frustrated having to do that as I should be able to get medical care. I have calls into doctors and pain clinics but everything is taking forever. It's getting super crowded there as well, I was there for two hours yesterday and just wanted to leave and come home to my "safe place" with the cats and my boyfriend. I may try medical marijuana again, it just makes the pain so awful sometimes I don't want to be worse than I already am plus it's expensive. I have a medication coming from overseas but it's going to take 30 days thanks to COVID plus I'm not totally comfortable with doing it without doctor's supervision despite believing it had something to do with putting me in remission before. Some things with my boyfriend's previous roommate are stressing me out, it's involving one of his cats and I'm trying to be mature and let him deal with it but it's getting me real emotional.

• Cornanda
    edited December 2020
    @katmary71- sorry to hear about the ER. It's sad that you have to work so hard to get someone to help you. Our medical system has many broken pieces.

@raleighgirl09 I love the Olympian post!

@TeresaW1020 - you are kicking butt and taking names girl!

@vegan4lyfe2012 - You are absolutely right- 1 piece of pizza/breadstick is not gonna run your train off the track.

Well. Ahem..... remember how I said that I was hopeful about this week's loss? Well, it was because I remembered my pre-Thanksgiving weight wrong. And I thought I lost all the thanksgiving weight plus extra. Haha. No. I didn't make it back to that weight yet- still 1.1 pounds to go. I'm still fine with it. My take away from this is that this is why it's important to keep track of what's going on- we need to be aware- of what we are doing, what we are eating and how it's working.... so important!
  • Cornanda
    Friday weigh in
    Cornanda
    12/4
    PW: 184.3
    CW 183.4

LTD: 7.7
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 689 Member
    raleighgirl09
    Friday check in

Another week in the books - Monday a new job. Making plans to see my lovely Hazel grandbaby over Christmas, just going to have to let the TDay fiasco go. I have a very difficult time with something unfair so this is going to be a work in progress; as my mamma used to say - "Life ain't fair, honey."
    Dear Ma - how well I know.

Had a good day so far and have turkey tenderloin in the oven, having a big salad with it. Have been on plan - have had no urges and weird feelings or crack addict thoughts for nibbling....MAN, I sure wish I could bottle this. I wish I could define it and give it corners and borders and make sense of why I have to be in a particular headspace to be here....in this place of ease. I think I'd be wealthy if I could somehow wrangle it into something explainable with the ability to duplicate it just with a wish. Wait - check comment above..... "Life ain't fair, honey."
    Dear Ma - how well I know.

Check in: yes
    Water: yes
    Food logged (pre-logged?): yes (yes)

Basic calorie goal: no...missed by 20 calories!
    10,000 steps: yes

Missing one of the check marks on the habit tracker because of the 20 calories......and I thought "this is just a fact and I get to choose what I think of it" so I have decided that it just is *and* what it isn't, is horrible. None of this means anything bad, it's just data. And this data is 20 calories - not 200 or 2000. Not a biggie but also not a green check mark.

@TwistedSassette CONGRATS on a great weigh in this week - and watch out for the roos on the road! Your accident sounds horrible.... =< I have never hit a deer but we often see many of them at night, not as far off the road as we would prefer, their eyes all glowing; also famous for the run across the road rather than away from danger!
    @Cornanda and @teresaw2010 congrats you guys - giving me good feels and hope as I fight my way back!! You guys are both really amazing at sticking to and staying with....yeah, I know you may not feel that way but I keep watching you guys. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!
    @Krea4 you've got a great start, that's fabulous!
    @trooworld I am thinking of you and heave ho'ing all the good vibes for a good weigh in - but either way, you've done well and have conquered so many of the small moments that count and stack up...... => I sure do hope that your job is not further impacted by COVID... <3
    @Katmary71 uuuuuugggghhhh on the ER visit...... I hate that for you and I hope you can get some more controllable care SOON, as far as environment and where you go!! =< You know.......now I am curious about the cat drama. I do love me some kitties and can't have one so I gravitate to all things cats. Thanks so much for the thought - I miss coming in and checking in and...it's a me thing, I'm not thinking about others' thoughts when I am absent. I just....ghost. It's silly, really, I'm working on the me that needs work but it's slow-going.
    @vegan4lyfe2012 YES - just like that!! B) We're all working to be Olympians when you think about the other 99% of being one - - - apart and aside from the few minutes we see on the tv when watching the games... => I love your 'good news, bad news' report on the dinner......pizza was ok for the plan but the breadsticks tipped it! Has happened to us all and thankfully are not the defining moments of the whole journey. I am also quite influenced by the queues of others, mostly when I go mindless and stop paying attention. If I let the id take over or just stop thinking about (accidentally on purpose) then it can become a ship show. (Sidebar - not thinking shiP).
    @adhmrh FABULOUS weigh in, so happy for you!!! B)B)B)
    @davidji82 wow, what an awesome weigh in, that's fantastic! B)B)B)
  • davidji82
    davidji82 Posts: 165 Member
    @vegan4lyfe2012 no PS5 here, I'm more into retro PS1 at the moment. its much cheaper :D
  • davors19
    davors19 Posts: 285 Member
    Username:davors19
    Weigh in day: Friday

PW: 260
    CW: 260
    LTD: 40
  • trooworld
    Username:Trooworld
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 228.6
    Todays Weight: 227.6
    Loss To Date: 20.4
  • trooworld
    @vegan4lyfe2012 Ironically, I haven't saved too much, maybe 25%, because I have a Prius and it doesn't eat gas lol. Being over by 300 isn't too bad, don't beat yourself up. It's not like you binged on a whole bag of Doritos. You did a nice recovery in the morning, WTG!

@Katmary71 I hope you feel better soon. I hope you can get the medical help you desperately need.

@Cornanda Sorry about the weigh-in mixup. I'm sure you will get that 1.1 lbs off in no time!

@raleighgirl09 I don't blame you for being upset about Thanksgiving. I would be, too. It was unfair. Thank you so much re: weigh-in and my job. So far, I'm okay but the weeks coming will tell.

Hello all! I had a mini-binge on potato chips the night before weigh-in DOH! But...I still lost a lb so that's good. I think I balanced it out with a healthy, low point dinner. We are going to put up our Christmas decorations today. It's quite a chore as I have a mini-Christmas village to put up (miniature holiday buildings and people). We used to put up a huge Christmas village but we don't have space at this new condo.
This discussion has been closed.