Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I think I’ll stick with riced cauliflower and spiralized veggies. Konjac is filling but its a hassle.
    Spent the day running errands. Lunch at Panera’s was a 1/2 southwestern salad with chicken, beans, avocado and chili lime dressing. It was 320 calories.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,624 Member
    Options
    3o8bbmqwodub.jpg

Found the noodles!!!! This was in a store called "nations" but they stock mostly Asian not Indian. So no egg curry yet. I wasn't even looking for the noodles - but there they were - calling out to me from a mid aisle cooler.

They look much better than I expected.

Going to try them soon!
  • Yoolypr
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Just a note of caution Laurie. 🖐🚦Be careful with the amount of noodles at first! The temptation is to eat a lot but do NOT do that. The noodle absorbs water in the digestive track making you feel full longer. However konjac is not actually digested, it just passes through unlike normal food. It doesn’t have much nutritional value - it’s mainly filling without calories.
    Konjac is known as natures broom in Japan and can upset your digestive system if you’re sensitive or have too much. You may want to read up on konjac side effects online.
    I ate these noodles with veggies and seasoning without any side effects but I only had a small amount. For me, zuchini and other veggie noodles seem a better alternative without the digestive worry.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    We got home from hospital earlier than expected….I fixed a huge salad with cooked diced chicken, feta, and dressing…..fixed husband a couple of eggs….
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Chicken salad in low carb tortillas. Lunch was smoked salmon and roasted vegetables. Still too warm here for “winter” foods.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,618 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Made the dog her 900g pasta, 1.5kg butternut squash, 1.4kg Tilapia, 40g corn oil, 50g vitamin and mineral powder mix which in spite of two courses of steroids and a multitude of other pills seems to be the only thing that has settled her stomach since all this started in April. Should keep her happy for about 4 days.

So for me I augmented a frozen thai red chicken curry and rice with 625g of butternut squash and seasoning.

For NOW.

Will most probably be followed with copious amounts of 0% greek yogurt and the remainder of the can of cherry light & fruity! https://www.edsmith.com/edsmith_product/light-fruity-cherry/ With or without unsweetened cocoa and 95% fat free cool whip. Depending on calories and time. A clif bar was sacrificed to the cause earlier.

Since I'm operating on a fairly active day and all this adds up to less than 1500 Cal, have to watch it so that I don't end up trying to create TOO large of a deficit. This tends to backfire on me during the wee hours of the morning!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    spicy asian sauce for the noodles laurie! :wink:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We had salads, I had a Lean Cusine French bread pizza…I was going to have a couple of graham crackers but it seems like the grands finished off the entire box!…I had an apple and a half of a sandwich for my snack!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    It’s finally cold weather today - well relatively. In the 50s. So matzo ball chicken soup for lunch. Zoodles and marina sauce tonight. Finally having a couple of nights with hard freeze temps.
  • lauriekallis
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Yay for soup weather, Yooly!

Are Zoodles - zuchinni noodles?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Yup. Zucchini noodles = zoodles. I make them with a spiralizer gadget. Easy to do, cheaper than pre-packaged grocery zoodles. The gizmo works with any fairly firm veggie like carrots, cucumber. Some hard squashes are more difficult but work if peeled. Zoodles can be eaten raw in salads. Today I lightly sautéed to soften a bit.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I have a spiralizer, but Boyfriend prefers his zucchini cut into chunks and roasted till soft and charred in spots in a hot iron skillet. Top with sauce and cheese. I've done it with summer squash too. Apparently it's very good with Alfredo sauce but also with bolognese.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I feel some zoodles coming up in my future :)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Bet you could find a spiralizer in a thrift shop. It was one of those “as seen on tv” items that people ordered and never used. I find making veggie noodles quite useful as a pasta substitute when hubby wants spaghetti. He’s Italian so pasta attacks are frequent.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I slice Zuchinni long and about 1/4 inch thick, blot with paper towels….layer it with cheese, 2 oz cooked lean ground beef, and sauce, diced onions and mushrooms….bake under foil for 30 minutes until veggies are done….sprinkle with Parmesan….
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I am a kitchen failure! I have a guillotine (technically speaking it is a mandoline slicer but it serves as a finger guillotine in practice!). And I have a starfrit spiralizer. Hence zoodles are frozen and expensive. Cause.... I fail when I try to cut them any other way?!?! :disappointed:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of zoodles by themselves really. I have used them mixed in with regular pasta 50/50 for Asian dishes, but not alone. When I want pasta, I want pasta. Not pretend pasta. And I only like them for Asian dishes... not Italian. Which is funny because I often will add roasted zucchini into my pasta and sauce. I'm odd.

Last night I had dijon chicken breasts with zucchini and roasted potatoes.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I blame Laurie for the 88 Cal of green beans that I've added to my nongshim shin light noodles! I have to admit that the consistency in package weight (97g of contents between all pouches and noodles as per package statement almost every single time I've sampled and minor difference when not spot on) inspires me to "believe" their 340 Cal claim... well... more or less! :wink:

I could get away right now with just doing sauce over the green beans; but, that would leave me with too large of a deficit right before heading out with the puppy... potentially cutting into the fun and guaranteeing trouble when I got back.

Trouble may still ensue as I anticipate returning soaking wet and freezing--a recipe for me to overeat! :hushed:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We had a delicious dinner….I cooked chicken breasts in the slow cooker and then shredded it….added mixed vegetables, 3 oz. of potatoe, diced onion and a half cup of chicken gravy and spices….very filling and tasted great on this chilly 60 degree night!….my husband is eating so many vegetables I am buying fresh things every few days…it is good we both like them!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Tonight was grilled chicken with alfredo sauce over bowtie pasta with broccoli and garlic bread.
    Girlfriend had that.
    I had that, but no broccoli.
    Boyfriend had that, but no bowtie pasta.
    And Son had bowtie pasta and garlic bread, but with bolognese sauce with some precooked hamburger crumbles in it. Cause he doesn't like alfredo sauce.

In other words, a pretty usual night for us.