Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Loud and clear Laurie…at least I maintained for an entire year ( lost ten pounds ) which I have never done before in my life!…but the past three weeks I have eaten everything in sight like I will never have food again….I finally just gave in and decided to start fresh on Tues. Dec. 28…. Most of the junk will be eaten by then and it allowed me to indulge without as much guilt….and I am actually feeling excited about eating healthy again….I gained weight because I pack it on fast…and I feel fat….water retention is a lot of it….I am thinking I will be back where I was by the end of Feb….two months to lose 3 weeks gain….SMH….but we are troopers Laurie and we know how to do it….I have faith that we will both be in a much better place next holiday season….hugs
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,689 Member
    Options
    Well.... maybe we will all learn not to buy extra chocolates (or bake them)... someday? I don't even have the excuse of them being on sale this time!

At least I've "mitigated" by only doing snacks in addition to my main meal item--the main meal item being chocolates and/or cookies!

Since dog is restricted to only eating dry toast as treats in addition to her pasta/tilapia/butternut squash meal (or baked pasta noodles as treats but basically very limited food variety), the greek yogurt + reduced sugar pie filling snacks have now been supplemented by a 350 Cal "toasted sandwich": Two slices of bread (dog gets one) toasted. Two pre-pealed, pre-boiled eggs, warmed up 25 seconds in the nuker, and either two jalapeno laughing cow triangles or 14g blue cheese

Hey... don't knock it. I've actually managed to hold the line and / or come down a lb the last few days... in spite of a good kg+ of chocolates consumed! Sorry, did someone mention vitamins and minerals??? :anguished:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I wouldn’t eat that sandwich but if it helps fill you up, go for it!….the pie filling in yogurts sounds good and I might like it in cottage cheese or those little pudding cups!….besides baking way too much but not as much in previous years, I went overboard on chocolate….I make candy that is too good….plus bought some….I have already eliminated making three things for dinner tonight because I am about sick of food…..my wonderfully anticipated holiday has lost some of its appeal the past couple of weeks….John has to have a catheter put in his heart next week with other extensive tests at the hospital, daughter has orthopedic surgeon appointment Mon., our son and wife are not making an appearance and grandson will be having heart surgery in late spring…Aliyah’s 14 th birthday is Sun. and she wants all of us to go to Olive Garden for dinner…it never ends!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    Oh but the feasting and holiday excuses will end promptly on Sunday, December 26 for most of us. The diet, eating healthy, gym ads will be all over the tv and print materials. Low cal everything will be on sale at the grocery soon.
    I’ve maintained the same weight for a year. December 24-25 calories will not be counted. Fortunately my eating capacity is diminished somewhat so there’s only so much damage to be done in two days. New Years is not a feasting occasion for us.
    Clearing away the Christmas stuff also clears the clutter in my head. I usually do a complete house cleaning then too. New start!
    So there’s hope reaching that goal weight finally this year. If I get there I’ll have be at half of my all time highest weight.
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2021
    Options
    eeek.... I might have to do a clean up BEFORE Christmas @Yoolypr Somehow I have the impression I may end up cooking a stuffed turkey breast tomorrow... which means I may have to discover the floor of the kitchen... which means I may have to start looking for the mop--missing since????!!!! :blush::worried::wink:

(the "nice" kitchen pics I post are from the parental's kitchen; not my own)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’m kind of OCD about a clean house. Clutter makes me anxious. Hubby is total opposite. He just doesn’t see it and could go forever without a mop or vacuum. I do a kamikaze clean up of his clutter anytime he is out of the house. When he can’t find something I threw out, I tell him he must have misplaced it. It’s worked for 46 years of marriage!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Had the traditional Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes tonight. Not too much calorie damage there because nothing was fried. However the cake and gelato dessert ......
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2021
    Options
    see, learning about cultural stuff! Soup break after coming back with extra gift bags and a couple of missed deliveries to vendors who were already closed :disappointed: Bagging the last stuff and doing the last pre-christmas santa run in the dark!!! :blush:

careful @Yoolypr : now we have GPS trackers! :smirk:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,652 Member
    Options
    You are all firing me up. Monday is my get back to it day. I honestly can't do this - I'm healing - I can't eat at deficit thing anymore. I know it isn't the ideal place to be, but I'm either eating healthy at a deficit (and getting all the nutrition I could possibly want - except for the calories) or I'm binging on nonsense and not getting ideal nutrition - just lots of calories. I know I should do something inbetween. But it doesn't work.

I was saying I had "maintained" my weight for a year. But I wasn't "maintaining" I was gaining ten, losing ten, gaining ten, losing ten. That is fine until you can't cut calories to "lose" ten.

Anyway. It is Christmas Eve. Time to enjoy some extra treats - because that is what we do. We just have to use those other days to make up for it.

Hope you got your last pre-Christmas Santa run in, PAV. I think your sandwich sounds perfect. I didn't get my protein today. Fool that I am - just couldn't do it. You have clearly put together a good game - cause even when you are "bad" you are "good" !!!!

"Feast of the Seven Fishes" sounds pretty magical, Yooly. Hope it was!

Connie - yes - we can do this. You have so much going on around you that it is going to be a challenge. But I think you can take that on and wrestle the eating beast to the ground in 2022. We are all gonna be hot mommas - PAV too if he so desires :D

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. <3
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2021
    Options
    PAV is FAR from good & definitely has NO desire to a hot momma :wink:

But he does wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV is good. And no, you are not, nor will you ever be, a "hot momma" - but in recognition of all of your support and tricks and wisdom you bestow upon us, I'm Christmas giftin' you a new moniker:

"Smokin' Studcake"

o:)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Whew, thankfully I quit smoking when I was 25. Best decision ever👍
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Okay....how about:

"Heart-throb hottie"

:)
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I tried to smoke….I either talked too much or ate too much to remember to smoke!…my husband was a two pack a day guy for many years….he quit 16 years ago when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer ….cancer will usually make a person quit….when he quit it was one of the happiest days of my life….he has full remission from the cancer….caught it at his very first test!….to look at my husband, you would never think he is now unhealthy…he is 6’1” and a big built guy….blue eyes and steel grey hair….only the immediate family and doctors know how bad he feels and hurts….

I think PAV should be Nifty Numbers Man or Data Dude!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Those sound good. I was trying to come up with a male equivalent of Hot Momma...since he is just not a momma.

Glad your husband quit when he did!

Funny - I must be past my quitting smoking fixation - I was linking "smokin" with smoking hot - not smoking a cigarette!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    hard boiled eggs? yup!
    konjac flour rice? yup!
    tri-color coleslaw mix to add to everything? you bet!
    cherry tomatoes on standby? for sure!
    frozen (long/french style) green beans? carrots? beet and zucchini spirals? sliced beets for salad or warm sides? baby brussels sprouts? Uh-huh!
    210 to 350 Cal soup / bowl of noodle / something quick and warm and ready to go in 1 to 4 minutes? Of course!
    ~300 Cal frozen meals (lasagna or spinach/cheese cannelloni mostly)? Stocked and all ready in no more than 7 minutes!
    garlic powder, onions, and sriracha? You bet!
    a few nice looking apples and loads of 0% yogurt and greek yogurt? Of course?
    pineapple fresh? egg white cartons? Not here yet, but should be added!
    boxes of chocolates on sale -- oops, that was from the wrong list!

What's in your pantry or your list?
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,995 Member
    Options
    In my pantry/freezer/fridge:

Freezer:
    Wholewheat pitta
    Falafel
    About 3kg of frozen berries
    Frozen spinach, peas, green beans, caullifower and broccoli

Pantry
    Weetabix Crunchy Bran cereal
    Red, brown and black lentils
    Cans of chickpeas, red kidney beans and cannellini beans in water (plus the dried varieties)
    Cans of tomatoes and jars of passata
    Just about every herb and spice under the sun
    Balsamic/red wine/white wine/cider vinegars
    Sriracha, english mustard
    Capers, gherkins, pickled red cabbage, pickled beetroot
    Yellow split peas
    Stock cubes/bouillon
    Wholewheat chapatti flour
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Sugar free jelly sachets
    A well filled fruit bowl (apples, satsumas, grapes, bananas)
    Lots of fruit and herbal teas
    Porridge oats
    Wholewheat giant couscous

fridge
    5% fat Fage greek yoghurt
    Eggs
    A chiller drawer full of carrots, onions, green beans, celery, rocket, red, orange and yellow peppers, red cabbage, brussels sprouts
    Loads of leftover turkey and lean beef that will make wonderful curries

I have ZERO excuses for not eating healthily...
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Question about the Konjac rice. I tried the konjac noodles which were packed in a liquid. The liquid was to be drained but it was sure stinky! So I repeatedly rinsed the noodles which helped somewhat. I was also warned the konjac can cause digestive problems. Wasn’t bad but rice or buckwheat noodles seemed a tastier option - except for the calorie difference.
    What is konjac flour rice? Is it also liquid packed? Do you just use it in soup? I’d be willing to try it again if I had a better idea of how to cook it.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So the stuff is stinky for the lowest cal versions.

Works, in my opinion, for "filler" for soups and in "asian" type noodles/soups/sauced dishes, especially ones with a seafood component such as prawns or shrimp.

HOWEVER.

I just picked up recently a somewhat higher calorie NO DRAIN variety. It is possible it is just getting test marketed as I don't see it yet as available at amazon.com, only in amazon.ca. And yes, these things are relatively speaking super expensive.

However, they CAN go a long way. I use the (stinky, mixed with oat fiber) Zeroodle LIVIVA (chosen because of price point and shape) bag in a batch of 2L soup.

To see what the less stinky no drain versions look like, run this string in the search engine of amazon.ca "better than foods better than non drain" and look at the first four, or so, items ranging in Calories from 60 to 35Cal per 100g. When you get to the 17Cal per 100g you're into the stinkies.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=better+than+foods+better+than+non+drain&amp;i=grocery&amp;crid=VD3ZJ00062XH&amp;sprefix=better+than+foods+better+than+non+drain,grocery,108&amp;ref=nb_sb_noss

As to stomach upset... I guess it depends on how used you are to eating a lot of fiber. If this is your first time... better stay near a bathroom! But I personally don't seem to have any particular issues unless I combine them with, say, all bran buds AND a few fiber one brownies!!!! Doing so would probably NOT be recommended :lol:

The name of the game with these for me is NOT nutritious and delicious. The name of the game is "make room for some candy" -- or in a more sane world, they're there for when I don't want to spend an hour chewing cabbage or lettuce... but still want to dive and chew into some bulk for only a few calories!

I've used the rice shape and noodle shape interchangeably in soup. Mainly because these days I use the spiral beats for "regular" pasta.

The "rice shape" I mixed with riced veggies in the soup with broth and veggies. The noodles I mixed with a package of "regular" rice noodle soup https://www.sautao.com/en/products?product=Xiao+Qiao+Rice+Vermicelli+-+4+Packs+Pork+Hot+&+Sour+Soup+Flavour which I get at walmart for less than half that price.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I will choose a cup or half cup of regular plain old noodles!