Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Tonight was steamed fresh cauliflower and broccoli with a slice of cheese,lean ground beef burger and a very soft Pepperidge farm bun……was yummy!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the konjac explanation. Who knew there were grades of konjac? Only cheap grade wet konjac available in my grocery. However I’ll look at the more upscale or organic stores for the no drain version. It’s worth another try.
    I have a spiralizer to make zoodles (zucchini) noodles as a replacement for pasta. Or spiral potatoes (sweet potatoes too) for the air fryer. And of course riced cauliflower.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    Options
    "JUST FOR CONNIE" :wink:

Toasted white bread (cause dog treats now consist of well toasted white bread or crunchy baked pasta pieces so bags of white bread are floating around).... and two hard boiled eggs from a batch of six made yesterday... and 14g blue cheese to make the sandwich have some "PUNCH" to it! :smiley:

I wasn't keen enough to add raw onion first thing in the morning! :lol::lol: and :lol:

But four hours later... the 400 Cal are still going strong!

*Mind you*: I did add "11.5" cups of strong black coffee (61g of fine coffee grounds) <-- who makes 5oz imagined cups as the "12" marked on the coffee maker?--I mean the whole carafe is barely THREE real cups like the one I am sipping from!!!

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,624 Member
    Options
    You go, PAV. I really hate hard-boiled eggs, but wow they do the job. I've started topping them with a good layer of pickled red onions - no matter the time of day :) my sweet puppy still loves me and will give me kisses :)
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2021
    Options
    mmmm..... pickled red onions! :kissing:

actually... they sound interesting.... and wait till you try the egg curry... it is surprising how much "staying" power it has :wink:

Now I'm going to be busy figuring out a way to sucker Connie "package this" for Connie to try! :kissing_heart:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We had air fryer Cod, fresh green beans and some kind of Natures Blend Rice with black,wild,and purple grains in it….had to cook it for an hour…it was ok….will have to use it because it was expensive!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Tonight the official meal was Fettucini Alfredo with Cajun Shrimp.
    I had the pasta with Alfredo sauce and grilled chicken chunks.
    Boyfriend had stir-fried zucchini chunks with alfredo sauce and Cajun shrimp.
    Girlfriend had the pasta with alfredo sauce and Cajun shrimp.
    Son had leftover rotini and red sauce from last night stirred up with some Italian-seasoned hamburger (also leftover) and topped with some shredded mozzarella and baked till melty on top and heated through.

This is how things often go for us. No one eats quite exactly what's on the menu, but it's good anyway.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I am doing a possible stupid today and trying to see if soy causes me issues still. It can be a trigger food for my IC and the few times I have had it since I have had digestive issues. Yet I can't be 100% sure that it is the soy because I have so many other problems too. So... I decided since I was home and didn't have to work I would get some chinese food today.

So far... pretty good. No real symptoms. We shall see if I flare.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    But... but... didn't you start with sinus problems already today?!?!?!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Tonight the official meal was Fettucini Alfredo with Cajun Shrimp.
    I had the pasta with Alfredo sauce and grilled chicken chunks.
    Boyfriend had stir-fried zucchini chunks with alfredo sauce and Cajun shrimp.
    Girlfriend had the pasta with alfredo sauce and Cajun shrimp.
    Son had leftover rotini and red sauce from last night stirred up with some Italian-seasoned hamburger (also leftover) and topped with some shredded mozzarella and baked till melty on top and heated through.
    This is how things often go for us. No one eats quite exactly what's on the menu, but it's good anyway.

Hey, wait a second! Not that it's not impressive that you managed to squeeze four totally different meals out of one... but Girlfriend's options seems to have been EXACTLY ON THE MENU!!!!! So ONE person had the menu option!!! :wink: :sunglasses:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    mmmm..... pickled red onions! :kissing:

actually... they sound interesting.... and wait till you try the egg curry... it is surprising how much "staying" power it has :wink:

Now I'm going to be busy figuring out a way to sucker Connie "package this" for Connie to try! :kissing_heart:

So far no egg curry - not available in any of my local shops. :/

• PAV8888
    Options
    So far no egg curry - not available in any of my local shops.

UGH! Why do they make things so difficult! You're right!

I pretended to live in the centre of the universe and apparently you guys, unlike us wet-coasters, deny your peops their food?!?!?!!?! I mean you COULD get it in two or three months for 15x the price and even I think that this would be insane! https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Kohinoor-Egg-Curry-Ready-to-Cook-Sauce-375g/PRD6XDR5CYPQSTE <-- what is WallyMart doing?!?!?!?
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No egg curry here. I’ll check the local Indian market. We just don’t have the population to support much ethnic food outside of Hispanic - entire huge markets of riches there. We do have a few Asian markets but I’m never sure what to do with many of the items.
    So it’s barbecue and hamburgers or tamales and enchiladas! I do a lot of eating at home to avoid the minefield of deliciousness out there.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Not eating any Egg Curry…..pickled onions don’t sound bad…..blue cheese only belongs in salad!…you can’t fool me, PAV!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    There is some in a Walmart maybe a half hour bus ride then a 15 minute really yucky walk away. I'm almost that desperate. Or perhaps I can convince someone that they want to drive me there? That long delivery wallymart feels kinda shady! lol

No luring Connie into any odd combinations yet, PAV - other than maybe the pickled onions ( :) ) Maybe 2022?

There are a few other stores I haven't checked yet...I'll give it a go!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Wiki has much information about PAVs konjac :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac

I know I have had shirataki noodles before - but didn't realize they were the same thing - or that they are made by slicing up a bulb. That sounds way more enticing.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    But... but... didn't you start with sinus problems already today?!?!?!

I did... but the soy wouldn't make those worse. What I am looking for are digestive issues, a rash, or pain in a specific body part (don't want to TMI you all).

So far so good though. Maybe a mild flare but not sure on that yet. Will know better as the day goes on.

Tonight I am making hibachi chicken (soy free lol), fried rice, and zucchini/onions/mushrooms.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I saw those “ noodles “ at Publix….in the produce department…..hmmmm noodles made out of produce…..nope, not today…..I will stick with a 200 calorie portion of the real noodles….

Not sure what is for dinner this evening….not sure if John will be in or out of hospital, alert or asleep, hungry or no appetite…..I have some frozen convenient dinners if necessary and stuff for a salad…
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,795 Member
    Options
    A cultural question - are fruit and vegetables referred to as 'produce' in the US? And Canada?

If you said to the average person (or supermarket assistant) in England 'where is the produce aisle?' they wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about...you would need to say 'Where's the greengrocery/fruit and veg aisle?'
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Yes Garfield produce=greengrocery=fruit and veg

I suspect yoolie that Laurie is running in the range issue you're running into at Texas. The wet coast of Canada has a huge Asian population with Chinese and Indian ALMOST equally prevalent and Korean, Vietnamese and Japanese very prevalent even if trailing in terms of population. With recent immigration the Ukrainian and middle eastern populations have small increased.

When I entered a postal code close to Laurie I couldn't find half the items stocked at the local Walmart. Nor can I find them close to Dad's.

To one and all: I am not claiming konjac noodles are da best. I would view, personally, beet and/or butternut spirals and/or green beans as tastier sauce transport devices ❣️ and any of them can bulk up old style pasta. Similarly I would rather go veggie rice than konjac as basically konjac has very little taste on its own in my opinion: just a chewy texture.

They are a tactical option to generate a high bulk low calorie meal and do work quite well for me when I use them in otherwise very flavorful and spicy mega soup pots that could last for days. And I am actually liking the rice shapes better then the larger noodles.