Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    I had a frozen enchilada meal last night. Spent the day baking cookies with family and by the time I was heading home I had no energy. But I see it as a win. I didn't order in or pick up fast food!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    The amount of food in this house for 6 and maybe 8 people borders on insanity….I have truly lost my mind this year….we had a very small holiday last year and I think we are all making up for it presently….I am a very holiday person, I love all of them…..but this year I am exhausted mentally and physically…I keep asking myself why am I doing this to myself?….too much going on with johns health, daughters knee and grandson having heart surgery in a few months…also Aliyah’s birthday the 26 th of Dec…..ugh lol
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,682 Member
    Options
    It's good to double check on what we do sometimes! 👍
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,995 Member
    Options
    The amount of food in this house for 6 and maybe 8 people borders on insanity….I have truly lost my mind this year….we had a very small holiday last year and I think we are all making up for it presently….I am a very holiday person, I love all of them…..but this year I am exhausted mentally and physically…I keep asking myself why am I doing this to myself?….too much going on with johns health, daughters knee and grandson having heart surgery in a few months…also Aliyah’s birthday the 26 th of Dec…..ugh lol

Me too Connie -insanity is the word! In my defence, I would've bought and baked/made much, much less, but my husband is paranoid that we won't have enough...or that we'll have forgotton to buy some essential item that if absent will ruin someone's christmas...and he wants to make sure that everyone has their favourite food, drink, nibbles, booze...and not just one choice for every main course and dessert, but two or three different options to tempt every appetite and every palate.

He's motivated by love and generosity, rather than one-upmanship or through any desire to grandstand or impress (he's the most attention-avoiding person I've ever met)...but jeeze, it's resulted in our house looking like a wholesale grocery cash and carry!

One thing we have in common is that we're both people-pleasers...when it comes to our turn to host christmas - especially when his mom keeps saying that because of her leukaemia and age (82) that it'll be her last Christmas - it's a recipe for over-provision and excess. And a bucketload of stress.

• PAV8888
    Options
    To supplement the chocolates and lean cuisine excuse for lasagna... I was "attacked" by two slices (179g) of hand made from scratch downstairs neighbour cheese pizza! Holding the line on the calories for the day... but barely. And too many hours to go! :unamused:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I had a ribeye, salad and Sat potato and then a “ few” cookies!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Sweet potato not a Sat potato lol
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I couldn't decide if it was a sad potato or a saturday potato. I guess being a sweet potato it sort of segues into the cookies!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hmmm.... pot of onion, broccoli, garlic, shirataki & oat hull flour rice, and one pack of hot and sour noodles (at 325Cal the rice noodles and sauce are about half the calories of the whole pot). Used almost 55g of various knorr type powders too... so one needs some water to drink with one's soup! I keep adding water and the shiritaki keeps expanding... so we're doing good!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    Visited some Mexican friends this morning. We dropped off our Christmas cookies. I was happy to get those tasty morsels into someone else’s home! In return we were treated to some excellent breakfast tacos. I had 1 egg and nopalito taco and an egg and chorizo taco. Calorific brunch so dinner will be some light soup.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Sounds yummy Yooly!

I've seen so many people writing about baking Christmas cookies and dropping them off with friends/relatives/neighbours or mailing them to distant loved ones. I take it that this is a US custom? I've not come across it before....
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Baking Christmas cookies is a THING. Neighbors and friends often share homemade food treats like cookies, chutney, hot chocolate mixes etc. Some people also mail out Christmas treats to family and friends far away who may not have access to a favorite holiday item.
    I’m not sure if younger people are into actual baking for Christmas but groceries are bursting with cookie trays this time of year. Entire magazines are devoted to cookie recipes. There’s even a cookie exchange party where people bring dozens of cookies and then exchange for each other’s contributions. You end up with a nice variety of different cookies.
    I bake/decorate cookies because it’s a tradition for me. Nostalgia. But now I do only a few favorites. When hubby was in the military, I would bake what seemed like thousand of treats for days on end. We would give them to his troops. Those kids barely out of their teens could EAT.
  • Bella_Figura
    edited December 2021
    Options
    What a lovely custom! Baking mince pies is a big tradition in England, but we tend to only bake them for personal consumption by family and visitors to our home, or for sharing with work colleagues, rather than distributing them to neighbours etc. And even that tradition is gradually dying out, as people switch to commercial mince pies instead.

Do you folks on the other side of the pond eat mince pies? And make your own mincemeat?
  • Yoolypr
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Perhaps mincemeat is more available in the midwestern, farming communities in the northern US. Mince pies aren’t sold in Texas even in bakeries. I’ve looked for commercially made mincemeat but most groceries don’t have it. I remember years ago it came in jars seasonally. Never thought of making it. Honestly I wouldn’t know a good mincemeat from a bad one. Connie was baking mincemeat bread which sounded interesting. Might have to check out mince recipes online.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Mincemeat and whatever goes in the butter tart filling are two personal problems for me! A lovely BBQ in rain, sleet, and snow prepared by my downstairs neighbors! We are talking chicken thigh skewers and (thick finger sized) kebabs cooked on the BBQ. And some BBQ'ed onions and baby tomatoes and a simple romaine lettuce salad with some cucumber and tomato and vinegar only for dressing.

It is funny. Every kebab I've weighted was 23g cooked. They eyeball, they don't use scales... yet they were uniform in cooked weight!
  • Bella_Figura
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Yoolypr homemade mincemeat is so much more delicious than the jars of commercial mincemeat (though that is delicious too, as are commercially baked mincepies.) But making your own meltingy buttery shortcrust pastry and filling it with your own mincemeat is a whole other level.

I usually use Nigella's recipe for mincemeat, and replace the dried cranberries with dried sour cherries and add a slug of Amaretto to the brandy and port. It's boozy, heady-flavoured and delicious! https://www.nigella.com/recipes/star-topped-mince-pies

hqokfw0jp5zi.png
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    My husband is from the northeast and he loves Mincemeat pie…..you can find it here but only seasonal….I made 2 loaves of the bread and a dozen muffins from mincemeat….it was delicious!….I also make fruitcake cookies that are really good….both of my grands and my husband and I love fruitcake but a large one is just too much….the cookies hit the spot!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I think I’ll try to make the mincemeat myself for next Christmas. Today I had lunch with son at Kava. It’s a “healthy” salad/ pita restaurant. Had roast lamb,sweet potato, eggplant on a bed of greens with tahini dressing. They give calorie counts per ingredient. My salad came to about 400 calories.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,649 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I am moving forward or backward here. :)

I'm not eating on a deficit - not trying to until Monday. I say that - but it isn't really true. Every day I've not eaten at a deficit - I was disappointed in myself. No matter what my plan was. Inside was the "you must eat at a deficit" voice. I was, of course, ignoring it. But is was always there.

Last night, at the grocery store, I went a bit wild. Picked up some things I have not purchased in years. Don't want to list them all here, because I find those kinds of lists a bit triggering - and don't want to do it to anyone else. But, when I only needed tomatoes, and was looking around for anything else I might need since I usually am restricted by weight - I decided "What the heck" it is Christmas. It is okay to indulge. It is another Covid Christmas round here - so plans are being cancelled everywhich way. So tomorrow will probably just be me and the dog and my grandson's cat who is staying with me while they are away.

I was a bit embarrassed at the cashier, but not really. Because it is Christmas, and my stuff wasn't really so bad - just bad in my head.

But this morning, I'm wondering if I've been doing what I refuse to do with my dog. Learning to ignore my inner self control voice, because it never stops. Ever.

When my dog is off leash and I lose my connection with her (a mix of two hounds - so when she "goes" she is unaware of anything but that squirrel/bird/peice of paper) I try very hard to not call after her because I know she is not really able to "respond" me. Because I don't want my voice/recall command to become a somewhat comfortable white noise, I only use it when I know there is some hope.

Perhaps, my constant "eating self control" voice has become white noise? Maybe a couple of days, now and then, really turning it off will make it strong (again?). I've been overeating for 3 months - with that voice going all the time. All I've really accomplished is becoming much better at ignoring the voice.

It is also possible that I just want to eat even more - so am finally trying to silence that voice because it actually was accomplishing something. :D

So much to learn.

I hope I'm not just making excuses.