Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,625 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy fried rice with cauliflower. Barely notice the difference! I thought there might be some other way to make rice keto.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy fried rice with cauliflower. Barely notice the difference! I thought there might be some other way to make rice keto.

Are you frying the cauliflower, or the rice, or a mixture of rice and cauli? Personally I am quite happy with straight cauli and no rice added, especially if I Knorr it or spice it. But the parental resists and whines about "minute rice is so much better" :lol:

Today's dinner... ALMOST Laurie compatible....everything nuked! (I need more nuclear power!) Cauli rice, covered with baby sweat peas, with (pre-cooked) *farmed* pacific white shrimp emergency thawed while the cauli was nuking and pre-warmed in hot water- need a veggie nugget version for Laurie! :wink:, all covered with "blue menu" butter chicken sauce which comes just under 1 Cal per gram!

"freezer" to table in less than 15 minutes... huge plate for 500-650 Cal... and all done without a second microwave, and surprisingly edible actually!!! :smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That sounds pretty good! I could probably do hard-boiled eggs instead of the shrimp with the butter chicken sauce or ???

I like the straight cauli rice too... I'm always amazed at what a nice chew it has and it tastes like whatever you put on it so that's not an issue.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    The rice cauliflower is “ ok “…. I would rather have a 1/2 c. Of long grain real rice….

I only had one square of lasagna and a huge salad for dinner…..
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I just put some white chicken chili in the slow cooker. Should get a few meals out of it and enough to freeze a portion or two for lazy nights. I will make some corn bread to go with it as well.

Been eating horribly of late most likely due to depression and anxiety. I need to get to eating better because I KNOW that eating bad only makes the mental health worse.
  • lauriekallis
    edited January 2022
    Options
    The rice cauliflower is “ ok “…. I would rather have a 1/2 c. Of long grain real rice….

For me the bigger issue is the cravings real rice triggers. It almost always leaves me wanting more more more. Having cauliflower rice as a side (or under :) ) leaves me feeling satisfied.

Perhaps that is to do with quantity too?

1/2 cup of cooked long grain rice is just over 100 calories. 1/2 cup is just not enough quantity to make my belly happy.

For that same 100 calories I could have 4 cups of cauliflower rice. This would feel like too much for me - but I'm using this number just for comparison. I would definitely feel very full for hours.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yup me too! It’s all about the volume for me. After a lifetime of overeating, a half cup of rice or pasta just won’t do it. I’ll end up snacking later on everything in sight to get that “full” feeling. I know I should be happy with quality but quantity always wins. Big salads, zoodles, cauliflower rice fill the apparently bottomless void.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Lunch today - spicey cabbage with beans and peas, a Gusta veggie sausage, some little gem potatoes and little grape tomatoes :) and a dollop of sour cream to make it all so decadent.

Supper - a few more of those little gem potatoes, egg curry, cauliflower/broccoli and carrot!

I'm getting back into the groove where I'm astonished as how much I get to eat! I'f I'm careful/thoughtful - the meals are so hearty and tasty and the calories stay easily under 1500 a day. Leaving me a bit of room for tea with whiskey should I so desire or ??? nothing - and just have a lower calorie day!

Not sure how I so lost my way. But it seems I just don't know how to bump up the calories to maintenance without losing my mind. Give me enough rope and ... :D
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @psychod787 is all fancy with his whole food goodness and tall, strong, and handsome too!

Plus he has lost and kept lost way more lbs than many, including myself for sure!

But, mitts 🧤 of his hamsters 🐹: he's just too young for you (Florida) ladies❣️

😹😹😹

Awww Alec.... making me blush and all. :*
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Yup me too! It’s all about the volume for me. After a lifetime of overeating, a half cup of rice or pasta just won’t do it. I’ll end up snacking later on everything in sight to get that “full” feeling. I know I should be happy with quality but quantity always wins. Big salads, zoodles, cauliflower rice fill the apparently bottomless void.

Quantity is a big deal for me, too, though I dont' mind using real rice if I have enough veggies to go with it. I've learned to substitute out my fats and calorie dense things in recipes, too, to try to compromise with myself, such as this morning in my Keto pancakes for my husband - I have CarbQuik to keep the carb count down for him, and substituted almond milk for the heavy cream and 2 oz of cream cheese for most of the butter to reduce the calorie count for me :)
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Pork chops for dinner with air fryer baked potatoes and a beautiful salad with iceberg,romaine,spinach,carrots,radishes,onions,tomatoes, and cucumbers!….can’t decide if I want to bake the chops or pan fry in a little olive oil and thyme
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos today. Low carb (50 calorie) tortillas and homemade cole slaw. Kind of a summery meal but it’s 75F today. It will drop to highs in the 40s tomorrow so we’re having chili.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Fish tacos today. Low carb (50 calorie) tortillas and homemade cole slaw. Kind of a summery meal but it’s 75F today. It will drop to highs in the 40s tomorrow so we’re having chili.

Chili sounds yummy….it is suppose to be in the high 60s here all week and that is winter weather to me!….I have some northern beans and a bag of split peas so I think soup is on the menu this weekend….
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    We ended up at Ruby Tuesday's for dinner tonight, so I'm over my calorie limit for the day and closer to maintenance. However, all we had was soup and salad, and while I had 2 cups of soup and 2 trips to the salad bar, I did load up on lots of leafy greens and cut down on the amount of dressing I used. And I had successfully completed 2 all day fasts this week, so I should still be okay as long as I don't blow it this weekend!

Though I'm planning to make low carb pizza with fat head crust for dinner tomorrow :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'd never heard of fathead crust! Looked it up and that is good to know if I'm every serving someone who needs a glutenfree pizza.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    My pork chops didn’t cook the way I wanted them to so we both ate the tenderloin piece and refrigerated the rest….I think they will make a lovely sweet and sour pork in the slow cooker this weekend!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    Options
    Split a Marie Calendar 3 meat lasagna with dad (500 Cal each). And a huge salad with lettuce, cucumber, yellow bell peppers, tomato, fresh onions, oregano and red wine vinegar for me. Dad added feta cheese. I added some left over tomato sauce on top of my lasagna.

I got complaints about the small portion size :lol: . Since we are planning a party tomorrow (have invited the couple dad hangs out with) and we're talking about emptying out all the frozen fried foods from the freezer (Calamari, halloumi sticks, cauliflower bites, possibly breaded haddock, praline nuts, panettone, bubbly, rye and coke.. ) I ignored the small portion complaints and handed out an apple! :lol::naughty:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Your a tough angel, PAV o:) hope you wild and crazy guys have a fine party tonight!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Lunch today will be black bean sweet potato soup with the last of the veggie sausage (no doubt I'll buy more - they are my forbidden fruit) and a dollop of cottage cheese.

Supper - ??? The Boy is coming I believe - we'll figure something out. Probably chicken-less fingers, broccoli or carrots and ???

Not as exciting as yesterday - and wow was that Greek green bean and olive oil stew delicious ....