Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    I like your lunch plan! Prepping ingredients rather than "a meal" feels a bit freer!

Sorry about the house heart break. <3 Hopefully this horror will soon be in the past.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,140 Member
    @Athijade ... sounds like you're doing good prep work! Unfortunately the house stuff... is hard and all you can do is remain patient and pre-define what lines YOU are not willing to cross in a panic "just to get it done".
  • lauriekallis
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    all you can do is remain patient and pre-define what lines YOU are not willing to cross in a panic "just to get it done".

Such good advice, PAV.

• lauriekallis
    Brunch today - a big fat Jamaican ginger bulla bread.

Supper - not sure? Part one will be the two hardboiled eggs and egg curry sauce on a bed of coleslaw that I was going to have for brunch. And maybe something snacky to follow up with? The Boy was to come for a sleepover tonight - but he's choosing to stay home :o so I'm all up in the air with possibilities!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I purposely did not go to the Amish market this morning because I was craving their home made ham salad and huge molasses cookies….so I get a star for not going….but I stopped at Publix for some tomatoes ( because John decided to have 2 tomatoes last night with cottage cheese )
    …..the bakers were taking cranberry walnut bread out of the ovens and I caved in and bought a loaf….wish I had gotten two but glad I only bought one !…$5 bucks a loaf but omg it is sooooooo good with a smidge of butter and a huge mug of hazelnut coffee on this chilly afternoon….50 degrees and wind 35 mph out of the north!….I am all snuggled in sweat pants, two shirts layered and a super soft blanket wrapped around me….this is so nice!….dinner is a lean burger, baked potato, and salad….I was going to make a warm pasta casserole but this darn bread is better!
  • lauriekallis
    Sounds perfect for a chilly day!
  • PAV8888
    Hmmm Connie. So.... salad with ham would have been closer to goals; even though loaf sounds good... maybe sounds a bit too good for me!!!!!!! :lol:

I had coffee... and am strategically rotating stock that is about to expire... grabbed a couple of "indian" dinners from the freezer (chicken, sauce, rice)... half the calories for the dinners come from the 150g of rice... I admit to being profligate here (but remember, they were going to expire anyway)... but the rice got tossed and I served the sauce over konjac "sticky" rice (~190 Cal for the whole pouch, about 200 Cal less than what the real rice was and way more fiber, and it too was getting close date-wise)

This only makes sense in terms of stock rotation, otherwise it is a total waste!

Contrary to Connie all I am claiming is that the food was warm and filling :blush:

Let's see where pooch wants to go now :smiley:
  • conniewilkins56
    The ham salad is NOT a salad with ham on it…..it is cold cuts with ham put through a grinder and mixed with sweet relish and gobs of mayonaise!….it is good but has a ton of fat and calories in it!…..it was a biggie that I didn’t buy it!…..I usually only buy it once a month and enjoy one sandwich out of it!
  • PAV8888
    The sins that can hide in a "salad"! Glad you escaped Connie! :kissing_heart:
  • conniewilkins56
    But I ate the bread…..so yummy!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Already changing things up...

Whole Foods had Delicata squash so I grabbed one of those to roast for meal prep instead of the peppers and onions. Just sounded so good.

Also I really don't want the noodles with veggies and thai almond sauce. Not sure what I will have instead, but I want to respect what I want. Maybe soup or a frozen meal. Then need to figure out something for tomorrow as well.

Tuesday is the slow cooker beef stew which is good because they are calling for snow this week.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,199 Member
    Pork tenderloin roasted with small potato and carrots. Green salad. I try to have the largest meal early. However I’m finding that small evening meals lead to snacking. I may need to rethink this going forward.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Pork tenderloin roasted with small potato and carrots. Green salad. I try to have the largest meal early. However I’m finding that small evening meals lead to snacking. I may need to rethink this going forward.

I love you @Yoolypr :kissing_heart:

(In a strictly platonic kind-a-way-even-though-we-know-you're-a-hot-momma! :wink:)

a) because that's actually a really nice, filling, low cal vs satiety meal-at least for me!
    b) because you're willing to think, re-think, adjust and experiment - and so many of us neglect to use one or more of these four pillars! :lol:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,199 Member
    I am humbled by praise from THE PAV. Thank you!
  • lauriekallis
    I love you too, Yooly. You too, PAV. XOXO :) And I'll stop there so no one thinks I'm too easy!
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    Indian ready made mtr (Bindi masala, claims 240 Cal for 300g on current box. Previous cronometer entry had as 380 Cal for 300g.... hmmm 🤔). Served over 300g riced veggies (88 Cal) and 60g cooked jasmine rice (80 Cal) mixed together

And, err, vegetable based sour candy at 130 Cal per 42g.... 90g so far!🙀😹

Getting some oikos for late snack to add to the protein a bit
  • lauriekallis
    PAV - what is this "mtr"

And - now I have masala 2 minute noodles and a bag of coleslaw mix. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a PAV combo - maybe even add some black beans? or maybe crack a couple of eggs into the mix (somehow) for protein and see how that works?

• PAV8888
    MTR is the cheaper of the ready made Indian food brands my nearby Loblaws carries.

Same as Ashoka is the cheaper of the brands my local Walmarts deals in

Was under $2 per each 300g pouch.
  • PAV8888
    So I'm getting weird thoughts of cooking up stuff, and then maybe freezing it?