Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,199 Member
    Hmmm? Pantry full of cookies, chocolates, candy but sucralose on the pork. I don’t know.......
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    You are so inventive, PAV.
    Your watermelon sounds delicious, Connie!
    Good point, Yooly! But aren't we all a bit weird and illogical on the food front? (Maybe I should just speak for myself....lol)
  • Yoolypr
    Yup, we all have our weirdnesses! PAV is certainly creative that way. We all need to find ways to save calories that work for us. Actually I’ve never tried sucralose. I have an intolerance for artificial sweeteners and have to avoid all sugar free products. Luckily I don’t crave sweets. Now cheeses, nuts, chips - oh my.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    Well @Yoolypr basically my hamsters 🐹🐹🐹 are processing things this way: "added calories on the pork for marginal taste difference": why the bleep would we use them here when we can save them for use on a nice piece of quality street candy instead!?!?!?!?

Does it make sense? Not necessarily.

There is a bit of 🐹 fear of not having enough calories available for midnight snacking. Though if they're left unsupervised, silly situations come up with too many calories left for "wasteful" spending late at night!

Today... carrots... lots of carrots... the 900g bag that had been sitting in the fridge had to be cooked!

A thick chinese noodles pack (310 Cal) with some knorr mushroom bouillon and the aforementioned carrots (well, half of them), and a tiny bit of sliced pork from yesterday (about 70g) and a little bit of onion.... made a very very nice soup!

Laurie could have even done this one for herself by skipping the roast pork and adding more onions instead! Would have been a bit low on protein unless you swirled some egg white in there which you could!!!

Hmmm... maybe tomorrow! Or later?!?!?! :blush:
  • PAV8888
    For me sucralose has been one of the least objectionable ones taste-wise. Especially the plain (but not the vile vanilla) liquid one. Liquid also skips the un-necessary filler calories attached to the bulking media that are often used.
  • Yoolypr
    Today was ham, cabbage slaw with low fat dressing and roasted potatoes. Tomorrow is a homemade veggie enchilada casserole. Both meals include green salad - filler food.

I’ve given up on any kind of artificial sweeteners or products. I just end up with digestive issues and gut pain. Wish I had lactose intolerance to save me from cheeses! Hubby has a pound of smoked Gouda in the fridge that’s calling my name. Or the bag of local pecans in the freezer. Oy!
  • PAV8888
    Candied pecans and gouda.(esp smoked could be a problem)!
  • lauriekallis
    Tracking went to the wind the past couple of days - but not the eating (I don't think?) - at least no binging type eating (except once...now that I think about it). I have an acquaintance/friend-of-a-friend staying with me for the month - so things are a bit different. On the good side it will keep my "bad" eating down/out of the house - because I would just be too embarrassed if caught, and it is nice to share foods with someone. On the not so good side there is a loaf of bread sitting on the kitchen island that keeps calling my name and he cooked a very rich pasta dish for us for supper last week. lol

Yesterday for pre-dinner (??? sometimes the meals come at weird times and I'm not sure what to call them) I had a good-sized bowl of field greens with a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar and an honest to goodness 2 tbsp of hummus - 30g - what the label refers to as a normal serving. (Honestly that was the first time I was ever inline with that. A tablespoon is so very little that when I weigh my usual "2 tbsp" serving it usually comes in closer to 60g, which is manageable but pretty calorie expensive :( )

Anyway - it was delicious! Good enough to amuse my tongue for a couple of hours.

So - that again today.

And for supper - I'm making (cooking-chop chop and all!) a batch of lentil stew to have as a go-to supper this week. Last week I made Shepherd's Pie (with lentils) and it was so good. Both good tasting and good to have something nutritious and hearty there in the fridge for us to go-to for lunch/supper/snack.

For the first time I added cauliflower to mashed potatoes (for the topping). Probably about 50/50. Still with ample butter and milk - wow - didn't notice the cauliflower whatsoever. No change in taste nor texture, except maybe they didn't dry out quite as much as the days passed.
  • PAV8888
    👍
  • Yoolypr
    Still lusting after the smoked Gouda cheese. Managed to resist thus far but while the spirit is willing the flesh is weak. 🙏
  • lauriekallis
    Food for thought. Using said smoked gouda as the example - is it better to just eat it all at once? Or to eat it chunk by chunk over a few days? I almost want to think (feel?) that sometimes our bodies just can absorb all the calories when we take in a crazy amount over a short period?
  • Yoolypr
    Well it’s a full pound of Gouda so it would be quite a lot. And it’s mainly hubby’s treat but he does know it tortures me. I’m hoping he eats most of it soon. Unfortunately there are goodies squirreled away all over - fridge, freezer, pantry, kitchen shelves..... a minefield.

Usually I can ignore it but there are days (weeks!) when it’s impossible. Lately it’s been very difficult. I’m still not able to do any meaningful exercise and feel like I’m losing ground. So far it’s just a couple of pounds but my head is not in the game as it should be.

I need to have a long serious talk to myself!
  • lauriekallis
    But - what do you think of the more abstract idea I was asking about.

If you sat down and ate let's say 10,000 calories in one sitting, versus 2,000 calories over 5 days. Do you think that our body would just let some of the 10,000 slide on through because it hit its absorption ceiling for the day/hour?
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    It is not a good thought process to have. Yes, the reality based on self observation and anecdotal evidence and some thought experimentation... is that INFREQUENT larger bouts of over-eating (same as infrequent bouts of significant under-eating) will result in less than expected changes.

If nothing else... some of it will slide through undigested am-i-right?

Doesn't make 10,000 Cal day or even 7,000 Cal days (ask me why I mention THAT number :hushed: ) acceptable!

BTW: Fat intake requires the LEAST amount of processing in order to be stored in the body. Protein the most. Alcohol gets processed first and will NOT be "stored"
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    So... this turned out OK in spite of me being in a hurry and forgetting to add ANY garlic (which I wanted to) and not finding chili peppers to add while it was cooking!

It comes in at under 1 Cal per gram which is for me is a "good" ratio in terms of volume for calories!

t13jlj08b7bo.png
    OH NOOOOOO! I can't find the picture in the pot!!! I only have the "left overs" (well, just a bit more than half) that's left in the fridge!!!!

irvc1ksjf8gj.jpg
  • lauriekallis
    looks so very well contained! Makes me smile to see those green beans! Their low calorie bulk really works for me in my "pasta" dinners.

Wasn't thinking I want to aim for that kind of eating - but was wondering - lol. Seems when I'm "off" and I buy a cake I buy a small one and eat it that evening. Was wondering if that was better/or worse on the calories front than having a slice a day.

For the mental/eating like a normal weighted person health - clearly the slice a day, every second day is the ultimate goal.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Dinner this rainy nasty 50 degree evening I am having 9 ounces of Zuchinni sliced in long strips with diced onions, Prego, and 1 1/2 ounces of shredded cheese melted between the layers topped with some Parmesan….baked in the oven….this is one of my favorite “ go to “ low calorie and satisfying meals…..you can use less cheese but who wants to?….right around 350 calories depending on the amount of cheese!
  • PAV8888
    What temp do you bake at? How long? Do you coat? Does it end up soft or hard for the zoo? Have you tried eggplant? If yes peeled or not? Normal? Indian? Chinese? Inquiring minds and all that!

Today was the same green beans on quinoa cause out of rice pouches 🙀😹😹😹
  • conniewilkins56
    350 degrees, spray glass casserole dish with Pam, bake about 35 minutes covered with foil…..i pat my Zuchinni after sliced with a paper towel but it is still pretty juicy after baked…you could add a can of sliced mushrooms….I have put a little ricotta in it before or a couple of ounces of cooked sausage or ground beef and then used less cheese….it’s good!
  • conniewilkins56
    Yes I have used egg plant but I like Zuchinni better!