Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,199 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    I forced myself off the sofa last night even though I was hurting and made dinner. Baked chicken parmesan, spaghetti, and garlic bread. Comfort food. I was also supposed to make asparagus, but the rest was already a lot of work. So I figured a home cooked meal with veggies was better then pushing myself and being in more pain.

I'll eat leftovers tonight.
    Hope you’re feeling better soon. Accidents are awfully hard mentally! Driving on snow. Ugh 😱
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Super Bowl Sunday!….Go Bengals !…..chilled boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce, baked potatoes with diced onions, light sour cream, and shredded cheese!….easy, fresh, yummy, low fat and low calories!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    Light sour cream and shredded cheese are LOW fat?!?! :confused: I guess it does depend on quantities!!! But it DOES sound yummy!

Actually we had an interesting meal that was quite filling at the time; but I am not sure how well it is holding up!

Imitation crab and onions tossed with cocktail sauce and sriracha and served over mixed greens! Followed by president choice seafood lasagna served with cherry tomatoes... which I am shocked I bought. Definitely not low fat. They claim 1600 Cal for the whole thing. But older entries suggest 1840 (460 Cal instead of 400 Cal per 283g=1/4). White sauce pasta doesn't make me think lower Cal!

Either way... it was closer to 1200 Cal for dinner when I usually try to keep dinners in the sub 800 range...
  • PAV8888
    And we all know that I like... candy, right? So there is this Greek thing called Vissinada:
    1 kg sour cherries
    1 kg sugar
    2-3 tsp lemon juice

Boil... strain... enjoy... more or less with a few complications.
    Quite tasty and good!

And hey... even if it goes "bad", what happens is that the sugar crystalizes. All you do is boil it till the sugar melts again... and it is ready to go!!!

So I was "excited" to find some sitting in the "cold room" at dad's.

gz47toyxjka3.jpeg

Liquid gold, right? Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy... this is like a squirrel... only sour cherries and sugar!!!

g4b8afc5jmeo.jpeg

Uh-oh. It does smell good; but, it looks like the sugar has crystalized a bit!
    Shoot. I'll have to give it a good boil and before I get to try it...

jy43kf6adsy1.jpeg

Never mind! I think I'm gonna take a pass on this one and just toss it straight into the bin.... I mean I'm fairly sure the majority of us in the group were already born when this was bottled... but it might be a close call for one or two!

Yes, it does say 1990. And I run out of fingers with a good 12 years to go!
  • conniewilkins56
    PAV you are such a “Debbie Downer” lol….Low Fat Light Sour Cream 1 T. 20 calories and 1/8 C. finely shredded Colby Jack cheese 55 calories!….no butter, no bacon, only diced onions 1/2 ounce 6 calories all on a lovely 6 ounce Idaho baked potato and 17 boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce!…..it was delicious…..
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    Can't resist tossing this into the DD mix....Cottage Cheese! Great on baked potatoes - and adds a nice bit of protein :) Only adding it to the mix because I've been thinking of it since I read your post, Connie.
  • conniewilkins56
    I do like that, too!
  • PAV8888
    I don't understand teas and cups, what's that in grams again????🙀😹😹😹😘
  • conniewilkins56
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I don't understand teas and cups, what's that in grams again????🙀😹😹😹😘

I seldom do grams….let’s just say a small spoon full!
  • Yoolypr
    Had 1/3 of a small 10” carnivore pizza for lunch. We were at a movie theater that also serves food during the movie. Hubby had the remaining 2/3.
    Dinner was a large green salad with imitation crab and low cal dressing.
    Yogurt and fruit for later. Oops - there was a small piece of tasty flourless chocolate cake! 😋
  • PAV8888
    Ya, know. Flourless chocolate cake is REALLY good! :blush:

Sounds like a good "date" night @Yoolypr !
  • Yoolypr
    Hubby made the flourless chocolate cake for Valentines. I’ve been dating that man since I was 18!
  • lauriekallis
    That is beautiful, Yooly.

My son's Valentine's birthday has been the focus of the day of love for .... yike ... 40 years now. But this year I had a friend take me out for lunch at an Asian noodle place (so much for wheat free). It was a lot of fun - and then we walked to a chocolatiers for dessert. The extra walk made it my highest step day in a while too - 25,000. Which was pretty fantastic considering the sidewalks still have many many unexpected patches of ice you have to dodge.

For supper tonight? I don't know....lol....mixed greens with balsamic and about 45 grams of hummus (that I would call one rounded tbsp but the weight of my 1rounded tbsp equals 3 per the package nutrition label) plus ... this is the part I don't know yet. But now I'm thinking!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Yesterday was leftover Korean "beef" rice bowls, only I used ground chicken. I also don't use gochujang cause it is soy bean based AND I didn't have sriracha. So I topped it with kim chi instead. I like kim chi better anyway so nothing was lost.

Today has been stressful but luckily I have a super easy dinner planned. Hamburger Helper (well Aldi's version) and roasted zucchini. I have been craving it for a few weeks now so decided to give in. Comfort food. I will eat this tonight and tomorrow.

Then Friday is my birthday so I am ordering in an Indian feast!
  • PAV8888
    Mmmm sounds tasty to me. No time to cook plus headache today

We shall see!
  • lauriekallis
    Hope you found your way to having a good supper, PAV - and that your headache passed!
  • PAV8888
    Walk improved headache. Not too inspired for supper. A repeat of yesterday actually. Plus about 100g of roasted chicken that made its way up from the neighbors!
  • Yoolypr
    All good intentions went out the window yesterday and I don’t know why. 😱 I started out well and lost it with snacking late in the day. Tiredness? Anxiety? Back in control today. 😇
  • PAV8888
    Well, I decided to resist the introduction of candy bars into the house a bit and "just" allow the box of cliff bars that's already here. And to go back to making a bit of my own "yogurt". Liberte 0% + apples + crushed unfrosted mini wheats with cocoa + tiny bit of sucralose (2-3 liquid sucralose drops) = fairly tasty parfait! Not quite the hit of a DQ blizzard in either taste overload, sugar rush, or Calories--but far from terrible!
  • lauriekallis
    Good door guarding, PAV.

I have my late evening yogurt ritual that is an almost everyday fallback. 0% Greek (sometimes 2% depending on avaialability of my favourite brand - I usually go for the PC because it has a bit more protein), I've taken to drizzling about 2gm of honey on that - which is like a caramel swirl - topping it with a sliced banana and walnuts.

It is a pretty fine way to end the day.

But sometimes my foolish hamsters refuse the predictable and start shaking the bars of their cage for something else. That doesn't usually last for too many days though.