Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,206 Member
    Options
    Lots of pulses today.

Lunch: 5 bean chilli
    Dinner will be: Homemade chickpea, tomato and coconut curry with rice and a homemade chapati. Yum.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    For the chicken salad I use 2 ounces in each mix, the bbq chicken I had 5 ounces and John had 6, in the pot pie / shepherds pie we each get 2 1/2 ounces for a total of 20 ounces of cooked chicken….the breasts were a little bigger than normal…

I do worry about my protein intake some days and my calcium but I think in 7 days it probably equals out…I always have enough fiber and vegetables….some days my fruit is less but again, over a week it equals out…
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,952 Member
    Options
    So the other day I was shopping... and they had frozen egg white crustless quiche's

https://www.burnbraefarms.com/en/products/egg-bakes/eggbakes-spinach-ricotta-and-caramelized-onion

Expensive, I admit, at full price--I essentially got a 2:1 with points. Even more so when during the course of the day you eat all four from both boxes! :blush: Quite tasty. Took a tiny bit longer than the 90 seconds for best heating.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,744 Member
    Options
    These look good - maybe worth batch making/freezing ourselves? Don't imagine they would take long, nor be terribly expensive. I might just make a small batch and see how they hold up.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Laurie I bet you would like egg muffin cups!….whisk 6 eggs with salt and pepper….divide into a Pam sprayed muffin pan….add 1 T. of shredded cheese and veggies of your choice….( onions, peppers, spinach, broccoli ) bake at 350 degrees until a knife comes out clean when you check them….about 100 calories each….
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    Options
    So exactly what you described there Connie; but I suspect you will find that you can add equal to a bit more of egg whites and increase the volume without a big hit on the calories and eggcellent protein numbers!😹

So if your eggs are ~300g for 6, you could add an extra 300-600g of egg whites (depending on how willing you are to dilute your eggs)

Or you could start with 200g eggs and add 400g egg whites.

Which, incidentally, would grow your quiches to about 100g each, which is close to what the boxes ones were (97g with plastic, listed at 95g on the box, so pretty close to listed)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,006 Member
    Options
    Homemade egg muffins freeze well. Make up a bunch and defrost/microwave as needed!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    What would you do with the yolks?…I refuse to eat eggs out of a box….they look so gloppy…..just nasty!….I can eat them this way at 100 calories each with ketchup….you have to have ketchup with eggs, it is a rule!….
  • PAV8888
    Options
    That's why you don't eat them out of the box Connie... you COOK them first!!! :kissing_heart:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    And...sriracha!!!!!....or barbecue sauce to disguise their egginess.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    Options
    So you gonna make some Laurie? Yoolie is repeating what I've often heard, that it should freeze well. My one *kittenned up* attempt at muffin frittatas ended up with more egg stuck in the muffin tins than my tummy! Connie the Baker was needed... but too far away to fix! 🤔😹
  • Yoolypr
    edited February 2022
    Options
    https://www.wellplated.com/healthy-breakfast-egg-muffins/

7he5db40bi2t.jpeg

Everything you need to know about egg muffins! Remember to spray the muffin tin well. Includes info on egg yolk to whites ratios. Cool, freeze in a baggy and you have a quick meal portioned out.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm going to give them a try! I need to buy some nonstick spray first - so I don't have the same problem. I'll post pictures. How about you, PAV? ready for another try?

I'm thinking I'll put some potatoes in there too! :smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Supper tonight - another gift from the freezer - which is almost empty :(
    Lentil soup topped with 100g of cottage cheese. Protein galore and the cottage cheese tames the spice of the soup making it a bit easier on the tum tum so late at night.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Reading.... while eating my:
    102g eggs, 200g egg white, 154g brocoslaw (nuked first and split in two), 23g light swiss cheese, 18g actual blue cheese, 18g bacon crumbs, garlic powder 2g, salt 0.5g, pepper 0.5g, no spray :blush: , all nuked! And a lot of sriracha and baby tomatoes on the side :lol:

I was using two two quart containers with only the "bottom" lined up because with the egg whites the whole thing can explode if you don't leave room for it to fluff up. Nuked ABOUT (very about) 2 minutes full, 2 minutes half and about 1 minute full on a 1200W microwave with everything inside.

Worked. WAY more egg whites than the recipe. I don't doubt that using just eggs or maybe cream would definitely make tasty... but I have to say that I *liked* my cheese combo and the light swiss being a bit chewy helped hold the egg together :wink:

Yooly do you do them for yourself? They really are quite good, I have to say (the concept I mean)!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Potatoes would go well!

I admit I was in extreme hurry to get this thing as it was already 5pm and I had just come back from a walkies. And the girl was demanding late lunch too!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I have made and froze the muffins in the past when I worked. Saved time I needed for the long commute. Son makes egg muffins for himself using whole eggs, various veggies and cheese mainly for breakfast.
    I would “lighten” them up now with more egg white and less cheese. They do need some egg fat to freeze well otherwise they get icy in the freezer.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wuz yummy. And fairly good staying power! Gets the good idea vote and it would be extra good for Laurie's freezer!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I will give these babies a shot. Though they are one of my protein mainstays - I sort of abhor even the thought of eggs at the moment. This different spin will keep them in rotation for another few months!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Supper will be a heavy hitter today. My housemate of this past month is moving to the country tomorrow and we are having a little dinner gathering before he leaves.
    "Doubles Pie" is the main attraction - basically a curried chickpea filling in a regular pastry pie, with a side of coleslaw.
    Thinking of it now - I should have weighed in this morning. I'm trying to weigh myself on a weekly basis these days, and Wednesday is the day, but I'm going to be heavier tomorrow for sure.

Maybe Thursday will be weigh in, or Friday if I don't like the looks of Thursday's number :D