Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    This weeks Shepherd Pie is Lentil Stew....it worked so well last week having a go to meal in the fridge I took the same ingredients and gave them a different form. lol.

Supper tonight with be some sort of "pasta" dish. Sauce from the freezer, veggie meatballs, some mozzarella and parm on .... this is what I don't know - either my go to French cut green beans or I might try some of the soy pasta I bought awhile ago but have been too nervous to try. I really love this meal and don't want to ruin it with some bad pasta tricker - but I guess I'll have to try it eventually. Good thing is it has a good amount of protein, and no wheat. I'll send an update tonight!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Pretty basic “ southern “ meal here tonight….skinny “ fried “ chicken tenders, mashed potatoes,green peas, and a salad….I have Skinny Banana bread in the oven, 140 calories in a slice….12 slices per loaf!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    1700 Cal in my loaf 🤔 skinny chicken tenders??? You're probably using your air fryer aren't you?!
  • conniewilkins56
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    1700 Cal in my loaf 🤔 skinny chicken tenders??? You're probably using your air fryer aren't you?!

Nope….no air fryer….I used 15 ounces of skinless and boneless chicken strips….I cut them in chunks and tossed them with 2T. of flour and salt, pepper,smoked paprika,thyme,chili powder, garlic powder, and cayenne…tiny bit of each spice….fried them in my “ nothing sticks to it “ skillet in 2T. of Bertolli olive oil until they were crispy!….it made 3 servings….I had 2/3 cup peas and 3/4 cups of Simply Mashed Potatoes!…and a tsp. of butter….

When my daughter got home from teaching she attacked the leftover potatoes but I salvaged the rest of the chicken for a salad Thurs. for lunch!….I don’t cook for the entire family but if I have leftovers, they usually disappear!
  • PAV8888
    WHAT! they take away your pre-measured left-overs?!?!?! I would shoot them all!!!! :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    Not necessarily the "best" today... cut up two pre-smoked fully cooked Johnsonville brats (400Cal), 208g boiled potatoes cubed thin, 100g red pepper, 30g fresh onions, in the magic no stick pan, plus 103g of two eggs sunny side once all that had cooked, less than 1g of canola before the eggs went in. Plus 4g parmesan over the eggs, and 26g sriracha, served with 40g mixed greens with 5g red wine vinegar and 2g of parmesan on top, 27g WASA light rye....

One of the pieces of light rye was pre-eaten with 204g of baby tomatoes, 53g blue menu light brie (2Cal per gram so 106 Cal) and 80g turkey breast (83 Cal)!

I think that was it... approximately more or less :wink:

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,761 Member
    Those chicken tenders sound good to even my vegetarian ears, Connie! And our not "best" day doesn't sound terrible PAV?

I have a soybean spaghetti report:

IT IS AMAZING! Nice and toothsome - felt like decent al dente spaghetti. Tasted like the sauce it was covered in - I didn't discern any weird "soy" flavour. Has 20 g of protein in a 190 calorie serving. Only ingredient is soybeans (which I know bother some people, but I seem fine with them?)

Can't tell you has excited I was to find out it was good!

https://www.amazon.ca/ZEROODLE-Organic-Soybean-Spaghetti-200g/dp/B07CPZTPPD?th=1

Very tasty dinner - though kind of high in overall calories since I included veggie meat balls - for protein - but I don't need to anymore with this pasta! Woohoo. Options.
  • PAV8888
    And our not "best" day doesn't sound terrible PAV?

Oh, CALORIE wise it was fine. Buuuuut... sausages and eggs? Not exactly a low cholesterol, low in nitrates, low sodium, not much red meat, low in saturated fat, high in Omega 3's, high in fiber, and high in phyto-flavanoids meal... wuz it? :wink:
  • PAV8888
    Hey your spaghetti sounds good!!!! woohoo!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Trying to decide on dinner tonight. I am tried both physically and mentally.

- Frozen meal of some sort (I have a few different ones)
    - Veggie Udon noodles

The udon is pretty easy to make, just takes some prep with the veggies. I would shred some carrot, slice up a bell pepper, thaw from broccoli, and maybe toss in some spinach.
  • conniewilkins56
    Easy dinner tonight as John is stuffed from lunch!…( temporarily)….I am having a lean cusine French bread pizza and a salad….yay me!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,318 Member
    Dinner was 300g of defrosted red lentil chilli dal served a wholewheat pitta and a rainbow salad drizzled with sriracha. Very filling, 18g protein, 20g fibre in the dal alone....450 cals for the entire meal. Yum.
  • PAV8888
    You put chili sauce on your salad Garfield? Oh my! You're still trying to warm up that wet fur! :lol:
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,318 Member
    Yup. Often add chopped chilli or sriracha or grated horseradish or ginger to my salad. No reason why salad has to be bland...
  • PAV8888
    I used fresh lemon (51g) with 27g of sriracha and 3g powdered mustard today on my salad! 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • conniewilkins56
    I have been using the Skinny Girl dressings….10 calories in 2 T……I like the Poppyseed!
  • Athijade
    Ended up having a frozen enchilada meal last night... which did not fill me up at all. So I also had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Oops.

But at least I resisted the urge to order in! Mostly due to budget reasons honestly. I want to order in an Indian feast next weekend for my birthday.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    So yesterday, a good amount of veggies and a couple of fully cooked sausages (see below) went in the pot... and were rounded up with a couple of jars of Classico bolognaise sauce!

Yesterday dad had that on top of rice... and I investigated a new blue menu quinoa and barley ready to go pouch. A few too many calories in that pouch (~450) but I had the room. And let's not forget the 15g of shredded parm!

Today same thing... only I put it on top of frozen beet spirals with 19g shredded parm... while the "other person" was vocalizing that his 120g of spaghettini were not quite enough! :astonished:

wfwuog2wl6gu.jpg
  • conniewilkins56
    Nice bright colors!….
  • Athijade
    I forced myself off the sofa last night even though I was hurting and made dinner. Baked chicken parmesan, spaghetti, and garlic bread. Comfort food. I was also supposed to make asparagus, but the rest was already a lot of work. So I figured a home cooked meal with veggies was better then pushing myself and being in more pain.

I'll eat leftovers tonight.