Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,287 Member
    Options
    I am having nachos tonight... just like last night. I made some ground taco meat but also added onions, bell peppers, and green chili. Some of the best taco meat I have made in a looooong time. Super flavorful on its own. Then I added some jarred queso and topped with guac and sour cream.

Healthy? Heck no.

Delicious? Heck yes.

I also also rethinking how I do my meal planning. Currently I do week by week. However, I am thinking of changing that to a monthly plan. Have a rotating set of breakfasts and lunches (like breakfast week 1 is yogurt and granola, week 2 is oatmeal, week 3 is whatever... and I follow that each month) and then dinners for the whole month. Then I can shop for all the non perishables and meat at the start of the month and each week I only would have to get the fresh stuff or items I run out of (like oat milk or tea).

Thinking this may work better for my budget. I also think it would help with the back stock I have in the pantry and freezer.

The only big negative I see at this moment in time is missing out on sales/deals each week. But I think I could still take advantage of some of those and stock up for the NEXT month. So if ground beef is on sale on week 3, I can grab one and make sure I plan a ground beef meal the following month. I do think the flexibility would still be there.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You might ask Alexandria how she does her meal planning….it is amazing how she rotates and plans her meals…

My dinner is going to be delicious and healthy ( I do love nachos though; minus the guacamole )….lean ground beef meatloaf with lots of diced peppers and onions, baby bliss potatoes, and baby Lima beans…followed by a flavored coffee and a slice of Skinny Banana bread….

I am very proud of myself this week….eating and exercising….at some point I decided I needed to take the bull by the horns and get my butt in gear…in six months I will be so glad I didn’t continue my quest to regain weight!….I have goals people, GOALS!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,952 Member
    Options
    Go go go you two! Nice going!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Nixed the banana bread and coffee….I have been wanting to make a milkshake in the blender and I might do that later….1/3 pint Halo peanut butter chocolate ice cream and a cup of chocolate Almond Silk milk….I might add 1T. Of peanut butter and 1 T. Of chocolate chips….still under 300 calories….oh the decisions when you have 600 calories left for the day lol
  • Athijade
    Options
    Alexandria's meal plans are amazing, that is for sure. She does a lot more prep then I think I will be able to do (especially until I get a chance to clear out the freezer some) but she would for sure be a good example. Should look back (again!) at her posts.

Also... I joined Weight Watchers. My therapist suggested it since I NEED to lose weight but every time I start calorie counting the evil OCD/Anxiety voices come back. They had a good deal yesterday and my cousin was talking to me about it this past weekend. So I did it. We will see if it will work. I currently have a 6 month plan with the first 3 months only $2 each. If it works, I will keep it. If it doesn't I am not out all that much money.

So far today I have had an everything bagel with cream cheese and a tea with a bit of sugar. Lunch will be a salad from the work cafe with lots of veggies and some chicken and/or hardboiled eggs. Dinner will be the same nachos. Maybe. Last night it did not taste as good as the night before... but I wasn't feeling great yesterday either.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,006 Member
    Options
    High temperatures will hover at or below freezing for the next few days so I’m making a pot of ham and bean soup. Got to get all the warming comfort foods in before air conditioning season begins!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Mmmmm soup. With WW make sure your deficits remain in the sane/Goldilocks zone
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Fresh green beans, tossed salad, baked pork chop,and tiny new potatoes….yum….ready for dinner!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Didn’t want another salad yet again for dinner. Boredom 😒. I had low-fat yogurt, small banana and a cup of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. Probably not the best meal calorie or nutrition-wise but satisfying today.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    pfft third day I'm hitting the yogurt-apple-pumpkin spice-some kind of chocolate cereal combo... and I'm still licking my chops!
  • Athijade
    Options
    Last night was hibachi chicken, stir fried zucchini/onions/mushrooms, and "fried" rice (which was mostly more veggies... like I doubled the serving thanks to the veggies lol). I did use some store bought "yum yum" sauce on it but only a little bit.

I did realize this morning that starting WW in the middle of the week after I had already done my meal plan and shopping for the week may not have been the best idea. I am out of fruits and vegetables to snack on or bulk up my meals with. No clue what lunch will be... or breakfast really. Luckily tomorrow is shopping day and Sunday is "weigh in" (to set my week as Sunday-Saturday more then anything) so I can use my weekly points.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Tried WW a few times. It worked as long as I had a “scheduled” life. Once I retired it was impossible because every day was anything-can-happen day.
    I hope you find WW helpful and supportive. And successful.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I joined WW the first time in the early 70s and it was $2 a week…since then I probably joined 20 more times…I got to the point I used fake names ( truth! ) so they would not know how many times I had joined!….my mom hit her goal on WW and was a lifetime member…

Tonight we had a vegetable dinner…..salad,sweet potatoes,fresh green beans, and an ear of fresh sweet corn….I bought a flat of strawberries yesterday and between the six of us they are disappearing!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I made refried bean enchiladas with lots of onions and peppers…..so filling, spicy, and yummy!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    That Cajun shrimp looks awesome!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Uh-huh, it does. But I would fill the big bowl with broccoli 🤣
  • Athijade
    Options
    Looks amazing! I would do a big bowl of 3/4 broccoli and 1/4 noodles with sauce and shrimp. Gotta get those high fiber veggies in (for me)! But the shrimp? It is 8am and I want some now.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,744 Member
    Options
    The portions are so custom/exact. Wow.

Today is day two of me being "back in the saddle" (I hope) - biggest problem is that I've really been having a problem cooking/prepping food. I'll find my way back - but even now - planning "brunch" I'm cringing at the thought of preparing it.

But - writing this I remember when I was doing well that I while I was taking the girl for her morning walk, I would decide which CD I would listen to while cooking, when I got home. That worked. How easily we forget the healthy habits.

Brunch is my big meal - if I can nail that the day falls into place. Eggs and veggies basically. Will report back with my CD choice and success story (I hope!).