Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,947 Member
    Options
    There's always the make your own Indian or Thai or Vietnamese option?????
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,999 Member
    Options
    Must report that the vegan tofu pho was excellent as usual at our little Thai/Vietnamese restaurant. There are several fancier Vietnamese restaurants in town but this place is a gem 💎
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    There is scale payment for that lovely bowl of pho soup yesterday. It’s notoriously salty. So this morning I feel all puffy and the scale is up 2 pounds! There will be much water drinking and peeing today.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,744 Member
    Options
    Great attitude, Yooly! Some vegan tofu pho sounds perfect....we have nasty cold day. Not just the temperature - but there is a spring dampness and wind that makes you feel like your eyeballs are freezing. :#
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I make my own Indian and Thai both because I can control the heat levels and because in this city there are both Indian and Thai restaurants on the north side, the southside, downtown, and on the west side.

I live on the east side. (sigh) Someone needs to open an Indian restaurant over here, but with the pandemic and all I doubt it will happen soon. We have plenty of good Mexican, though. Can't complain about that.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I live in a city of 1million+ yet we have very few Italian restaurants. I miss the cozy Italian generational restaurants like they have back East. Our few are either counter sandwiches or Uber expensive tweezer food places.

Today is crustless quiche with salad. It’s getting warm, trees budding and blooming so oven foods will be shelved soon.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,192 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    The little family-run trattorias as the thing I miss most about Rome.

Luckily my husband has taught himself to become an amazing Italian chef. He also cooks pretty good Indian and Chinese food too, but his forte is Italian. He has lots of traditional Italian cookbooks, and he also learns a lot from skyping our Italian friends, several of whom are professional chefs in Rome and the Castelli Romani, and luckily only too willing to share their secrets with a keen amateur.

The main problem is getting authentic ingredients - we buy many ingredients direct from Italy (oils, vinegars, cheeses, salumi, flours etc) but it's not so easy for fresh ingredients such as flavourful juicy red tomatoes and fresh herbs which are the backbone of many simple Italian dishes. We grow our own tomatoes and herbs from Italian seeds, but we don't have the sunshine/warmth to give them the depth of flavour that the Italian-grown ones have.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,744 Member
    Options
    I love seasons....
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    I love seasons....

Me too. I'd hate to live somewhere where it was always hot....
    Options
    Today we are having grilled chicken and jalapeno quesadillas for lunch, and roast beef, mashed cauliflower or wild rice pilaf, and brussel sprouts tossed in bacon drippings with a roll for dinner.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Mmmmm..... Alexandra! Yoolie's is interesting.. but Texas is too hot! 😉
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Well Texas IS hot about 7 months of the year. It’s tolerable because everywhere is air conditioned. After some years you adjust. I think the humidity is worse than the heat. I do miss seasons though.

BUT you don’t have to shovel sunshine!🌞🌞🌞 No sliding on ice, snow tires, boots, or bulky layers of clothing. So winter is mostly light frosts, dry pavement and green trees.
    The five cooler months are glorious.

I think of summer here as the same as winters up north. During summer we hunker down and do indoor activities.
  • Bella_Figura
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I'm glad to live in a temperate climate. No more than one or two snowy days per average winter, maybe a half dozen really icy mornings on top of that; average daytime temps from November to February about 5 or 6 degrees C...

Spring got properly underway mid February, and now everywhere you look there are spring flowers - daffodils, the last of the snowdrops, crocus, cherry blossom, violets....and birds tweeting up a storm.

Highest summer temps about 30 degrees C, definitely nothing higher than 32 or 33, though folks start moaning about it being too hot when it gets past 25 degrees B)

Same average rainfall as Jerusalem....
    Options
    Today was street tacos al pastor or carne asada, and for dinner we had spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic toast.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Highest summer temps about 30 degrees C, definitely nothing higher than 32 or 33, though folks start moaning about it being too hot when it gets past 25 degrees B)

I want 12 to 24 ... and mostly sunny! But do I get what I want... of course not!!! :lol:
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    uv7ttdx5bvot.jpg

So dad bought these English pea things and they were sitting there going bad together with some neglected cherry tomatoes and a white onion I bought almost a month ago :blush: ... so now they've all become ALMOST oily Greek peas! :lol:

I caved in and actually used 24g (good quality olive) oil on 775g of finished product! Still: it did manage to come in at LESS than 0.88 Cal per gram :smiley: Oh: my hebs sucked too cause no dill or parsley--but I used lemon pepper!... oh well! I hope I'll survive the castigation! :sweat_smile:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    The pea thing looks tasty except for the olive oil. Supposed to be good for you. Italian and Greek foods use olive oil almost as a condiment. Hubby splashes it on everything. However I find it makes food unnecessarily greasy/oily - even the best quality olive oil. I guess it’s a cultural thing and what you grew up eating.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    Corned beef is in the crock pot. I know technically St. Patrick's day is tomorrow, but I am in the office for work and then have a hair appointment. So I am making it today! I will add potatoes and carrots in a few hours and then will roast the cabbage tonight.

I am also thinking of slowly transitioning to IF. I don't enjoy eating breakfast most mornings. I just don't. So I am thinking of first just switching to eating a piece of fruit. Then switching to nothing. It's not because I think it will help with weight loss (though it does mean I would have more points for lunch and dinner) but I struggle eating it or coming up with what to have. We will see what happens. I have some oatmeal packets if I just get too hungry.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    If it wasn’t for hubby’s obsession with togetherness at breakfast, I would skip it altogether. Except for the black coffee of course. I find that I can easily go without food until afternoon. However once I start eating, all bets are off. Then I start looking for snacks, the next meal, whatever.
    I try to keep breakfast to around 250-300 calories but honestly would rather have those calories later or part of a larger meal. Hubby has bought the whole “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. But he has 1000 more calories a day to play with!
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Wrote my take on this in the main forum on a question about late night (later in the day) eating within calories.

I save most of my calories for later.

Could probably train to function the other way.... a few times when I had a larger (and later) breakfast I've skipped eating most/all of the rest of the day. But most is not always all. And two large and substantial meals don't easily fit my budget!

ultimately I'm more inclined to save the effort and energy for working within my nature as opposed to trying to change my inclinations.

That said, I don't deliberately stay hungry or totally fasting. I just eat the minimum I can comfortably get away with. In my case 10% to 20% of the day's calories tend to be before 5pm. The rest later! Most of the days. ;)