Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,737 Member
    Options
    Today will be a wild ride food wise. An author who I am working with - who I haven't seen in 5 or 6 years - is coming by to make some final decisions on the layout of his book. He just emailed that his wonderful wife who is an amazing cook will be joining us. They are bringing lunch! They are from India!! It will be glorious!!!

I'm going to have to walk a lot later today :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    happy walkies! :smile:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Yes, my food touched this evening!…in fact, it was all mixed together and delicious!…4 1/2 oz. of Tyson grilled chicken strips, 1/2 c. canned Mexi corn, 1/2 c. canned, rinsed, and drained black beans, diced green peppers and onions,garlic, and fajita seasoning….all in a skillet and simmered until veggies were done….could have added rice but there was plenty without!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds delicious, Connie! Lots of protein too.

Lots of walkies today...think I'll hit 25,000 steps before the day is out. Feeling it though - haven't walked this much for a few months!

Lunch was delicious - and probably pretty low on the calorie front. They are smart/healthy eaters - everything seems pretty low fat. Left all the leftovers with me - so same for dinner (and two dinners into the freezer): plain cooked quinoa, a very light lentil/spinach dal type regional dish (I think it is called varan bhaat), and a mushroom/tomato dish curry type dish - very light seasoning with poppyseeds - not even sure what it is called. And - they are paying me! woohoo. Life was smiling on me today :)

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Making spaghetti today. Using the Rao's sauce from the store and adding ground beef, spinach, and zucchini to it. Will also serve it with some roasted asparagus. One of my favorite registered dietitians on TikTok showed it in a vid so thought I would give it a shot. Get my pasta and lots of veggies. I consider that a win!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,994 Member
    Options
    Came across a recipe for Brazilian picadillo today. Ground meat (turkey for me), olives, capers, tomatoes, onions, garlic and many spices. Served over rice which I’ll sub with riced cauliflower. There’s a few raisins too but I may skip those as hubby is not a fan.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Both sound tasty!

Never had picadillo - but again you have caught my attention, Yooly. Will have to look that up.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Laurie- I think lentils/beans might work instead of the meat. It’s a kind of Brazilian chili so it should be okay vegan style too.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I think you guys are unfair because no time for cool cooking today!

Of course it does sound as if my newly Canadian minted (previously Syrian refugees) downstairs neighbors have noticed that I'm here! Maybe I generate more sounds than I think I do! 🙀🤷🏻‍♂️😹

I have evidence they noticed because they sent me a welcome message on WhatsApp! 🤣😹

I wonder if they're planning a dinner ambush????🤷🏻‍♂️🙀
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I think you should make a bit more noise and get yourself some cool dinner!

I'm about to head out to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients to make one of your funky yogurt/pudding/bran bud combos! (I think it was bran buds...going to go and try to find it)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    That's a very scary adventuresome Laurie

I would stay in more sane territory

And I have to admit that yoolie has mentioned doing something with yogurt and instant pudding that I wan5 to try
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Nothing super adventuresome today.

Freezer ran dry of any veggies, so I stole 350g of the dog's frozen butternut squash and added it to a pack of Shin Light Noodle soup (97g for the package, consistently within 1g... so about 340 Cal), plus some extra water, extra mushroom knorr, chili pepper flakes...

And then 0% greek yogurt PC 500g. Now that I no longer like the taste of Yoplait 0% since they've changed their formula I have gravitated towards using the 0% greek with a bit of liquid sucralose if I am trying for sweet... which I was! Plus 31g of chocolate cheerios :wink: and a bit of cinnamon!

Keeping the other 409g for a later night snack!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Twas a delicious scary adventure! Except the cereal shelves at my local store were 90 percent bare. Shelf after shelf, absolutely empty. Lots of bright yellow "sale" markers so I guess the sale was good!
    Had some 2% Greek (they were also out of 0%), topped with the no fat chocolate pudding and sliced banana and a light sprinkling of chopped walnuts. Pretty darn decadent tasting! Would have been good with some more crunch but those walnuts are calorie expensive. This was a supper/snack combo - so that second bowl I couldn't resist wasn't too big of a deal.
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Try mixing small sugar free pudding mix with 1-2 cups 0% Greek yogurt. I recommend a hand mixer or wire whisk to incorporate everything properly. Amount of yogurt determines consistency. Sets up nicely. Parse out the calories per serving.
    The cheesecake pudding is especially tasty. Of course, there’s chocolate, lemon or pistachio. Some house brands have interesting flavors. Chili lime pudding mix at the Mexican market! Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs, crushed pretzels, granola?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yooly: some of the Greek yogurt I use doesn't seem to have a lot of water in it. Does it become almost like cheesecake? You know what? I'll see if I have butterscotch or chocolate en instant ans try it. How much mix would you use for 750ml or 908ml of Greek yogurt (the yogurt sizes I'm playing with)? I'll be using jello sugar free instant!
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Yup - depending on the yogurt it can be a pretty thick mix. Try measuring out two cups cold yogurt first and add pudding mix by spoonfuls until you get the consistency you want. Sometimes it’s half a packet, sometimes whole thing. Keep mixing and let it sit a few minutes. If it’s too thick for you, mix in more yogurt.

750 ml is little over 3 cups, so start with about 500 ml to one four serving pudding packet. It can get fairly firm like cheesecake rather than pudding if the yogurt is not wet or runny.

It’s trial and error. Food adventure.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Ah. OK. I am not worried about too runny. the opposite. So I can start with full packet per whole thing and add more pudding mix to thicken more if needed :) Hmmmm.... I have 908 - 152 to start with tonight :wink:
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    hmmm.... 756g of yog, 43g jello sugar free fat free mix, metal soup spoon, metal fork, manual labour, pumpkin spice, drops of sucralose.

Holding plastic tub container upside down with soup spoon and metal fork embedded as I type! Has not fallen on desk yet! :wink:

Probably better mixing method needed than trying to do it inside the plastic tub. had to actually remove a spoon full or two to use the fork to mix. And I suspect my mixing was maybe not very good as I have "bitter" spots. Which is why I added pumpkin spice and sucralose :hushed:

BUT, I think we found a perfect cheesecake mix. This absolutely would be usable for that!!!!

100% upside down spoon! :wink:

4gg27k957iwr.jpg

• Yoolypr
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Yeah - try a for-real bowl and hand mixer. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs. Voila!

More complete discussion on this website:

https://healthbeet.org/2-ingredient-instant-cheesecake-greek-yogurt-and-sugar-free-pudding-mix/
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I will tell you that it's filling! :wink: And requires something to drink with it :lol: