Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    Yoolie I tend to make that without almost any oil (other than one or two grams to spray the pan) most of the time.

That said the 'oil stew" is supposed to be a main dish not a condiment. And often served cold/room temp as is or with feta and (omg) bread...

Same as with many Indian dishes... the calorie count stays quite low if you don't add the oils and the side starches

On the subject of Indian Greek I stumbled on this and it intrigued me: https://www.littlecookingtips.com/content/greek-indian-one-pot-vegetarian-meal-spring-ladero

I haven't tried it yet!!!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,994 Member
    Options
    For me it’s an all or nothing thing. If I had a larger breakfast, I could easily not eat until later in the day. But a small breakfast is a trigger to snacking. Looking for that full feeling. I find myself struggling to stay at a deficit by the end of the day. So the result is I’ve been in a maintenance state for the last six months. Have to have a serious talk with hubby on breakfasting.
    Ah the days of a breakfast of black coffee and a couple of smokes which got me through college. ☕️🚬 Life was simpler, more innocent and a lot stupider.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

On the subject of Indian Greek I stumbled on this and it intrigued me: https://www.littlecookingtips.com/content/greek-indian-one-pot-vegetarian-meal-spring-ladero

I haven't tried it yet!!!

BUT 982 calories per serving and 3/4 cup of olive oil? I think the peppers, onions, potatoes, mushrooms, seasonings sound just fine on their own. Maybe a little oil for cooking and a crumble of feta.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hey: I never said I wouldn't CHANGE things! All I said was that it LOOKED interesting as a combo. Especially the greek-indian connection which is not something I'm used to.

I thought MY peas were using a lot of oil... but if you look at Dante's recipe and what I used... and still (by my current measures) I called them "olive oil peas" :lol:

495s9m7ydcm5.png

• PAV8888
    Options
    I have to admit that my "egg salad-ish like" attempt today is NOT great tasting based on "random sampling of 220g" :lol: . It is not terrible. But it is a bit bland and not eggy enough. And that's in spite of all the sodium it has. Hmm... I wonder if I will end up figuring out a way to jazz it up. Ah... idea is pickles. But that's even more sodium! :anguished:

85hhjg5dsk2m.png
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hey: the egg salad is actually not that bad! I did add the pickles mind you... so I am sure that the sodium content is probably contributing to the head-rush or what have you!:blush:

I, err, have a "problem". 4 x 4 x 140 = 2,240 Cal have now been spoken for over the next couple of weeks days .... the poor Merci Marzipan chocolate bars (4 individually packed 25g "sticks" in each) were expiring April 1st... and they were on sale not just down to $2.21 but also $1.00 OFF on clearance... so like $1.21 each... and almost 30% back in points too! :blush: They only had four! :anguished:
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    To the store today for the week's shopping. Lunch will be pulled pork with barbecue sauce, and dinner will be Orange Pork with rice and steamed broccoli.

• PAV8888
    Options
    Orange pork sounds good... but surely you didn't deep fry...?
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    St Patrick’s Day!…..boiled potatoes, carrots, cabbage and a piece of ham!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    St Patrick’s Day!…..boiled potatoes, carrots, cabbage and a piece of ham!

No corned beef? Had the traditional Irish ☘️ meal yesterday with son although there’s not an Irish gene among us. The corned beef was excellent but the salt is more than I’m used to. So an extra pound this morning.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    No corned beef here!….yuk…..
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    No corned beef here!….yuk…..

Can’t argue with a nice ham either. ☘️☘️☘️
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    How about a philistine who turned the remaining, super sad looking, tomatoes in his fridge into veg medley with snausage? And ate them over "long" green beans... while other people in the house had a "cup of rice"...

5315j3xiq7er.png

The veggies were green... so IRISH?!?!?!

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,737 Member
    Options
    Green pickles on my veggie dogs supper is the only by green I saw at dinner... Though we were supposed to have a side of fresh French green beans that were so beautiful even The Boy was won over! But we ran out of day.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Going weird in my old age?

Found some jello "sugar free/fat free" pudding butterscotch and white chocolate on sale! Never understood the "fat free" claim as regardless of whether it is made with sugar or aspartame, I don't see where lipids enter the picture! But mine are the aspartame ones :smiley:

And now comes the evil alchemy! I am mixing them 3 to 1 with sugar free cashew vanilla "milk" (25 Cal per 250ml) and 0% skim milk (90 Cal per 250). If I had condensed 2% I would have used that instead.

Needs some milk for the chemistry to work... but it still works well enough when it's cut down which reduces calories! Oh... and I am adding 11g of all bran buds per box of powder for "body".

I made a double batch yesterday and a triple batch today!
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 2022
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Going weird in my old age?

Found some jello "sugar free/fat free" pudding butterscotch and white chocolate on sale! Never understood the "fat free" claim as regardless of whether it is made with sugar or aspartame, I don't see where lipids enter the picture! But mine are the aspartame ones :smiley:

And now comes the evil alchemy! I am mixing them 3 to 1 with sugar free cashew vanilla "milk" (25 Cal per 250ml) and 0% skim milk (90 Cal per 250). If I had condensed 2% I would have used that instead.

Needs some milk for the chemistry to work... but it still works well enough when it's cut down which reduces calories! Oh... and I am adding 11g of all bran buds per box of powder for "body".

I made a double batch yesterday and a triple batch today!

What is it you end up with after mixing up the puddings,milks, and bran buds? Is it a drink? Milk shake Thingy? Some kind of re-engineered pudding? Can’t quite visualize the final product.

And what’s up with the “old age”? You’ve got at least 20 years for that to happen.
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Ah.... It is regular jello instant pudding I am making according to slightly modified™ instructions and with a few minor™ substitutions 🤣😹

From your options I guess re-engineered pudding ❣️
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Why can't we have a laugh emoji????!!!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You're probably laughing because I didn't realize that Yooly was thinking I was using ready made jello pudding cups instead of ready TO make instant jello pudding POWDER that turns into pudding only after you whack it on the head a few times!!!! :lol::wink:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    So did I!