Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    I ordered in Indian food last night. It is supposed to get bitterly cold starting around noon today, along with snow and very high winds. So wanted to be sure I had food to eat. My ratings 1-5 stars:

Regular Naan: 4.5 stars
    Garlic Naan: 4 stars (garlic was a bit bitter)
    Biryani: 3.5 stars (good flavor but a bit spicier then I enjoy and not enough raita to cool it down enough)
    Korma: 5+ stars (this was amazing!!!)

I will get 2 more meals out of what I have (1 biryani and 1 korma). Will for sure order from this place again and even go check it out in person because it is right down the street from me.

Spent some time this morning reworking my Food Diary so I can hopefully pick that up after the holiday crazies.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    Options
    Air Frying frozen Brussels sprouts? Outside was nice and black but core was pretty soft.... hmm... not terrible but not great.

So what would you think would be the ONE thing I've been trying all day?

"don't use the air fryer for grilled cheese says the manual...." So here we are on slice 4 of bread and slice 4 of cheese... and the results have been far from terrible actually. Plus another 2 slices of bread that were forgotten in the "roast" settin and became a beautiful black but not charcoal through and through... dog loved them! Dehydrate setting worked pretty awesome for her fish too, saving hours compared to the normal dehydrator.

Not sure how long the honeymoon will last though :wink:

The price WAS right and I did have a coupon to use that was sort of going to waste... yes @Yoolypr it was on BOXING DAY sale...
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    You go, PAV.
    How about crispy lettuce? Dang...I forgot how expensive that is these days....hmmm....you are such an adventurer I'm sure you will have something outrageous in there today.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Of course the air fryer was on sale - with coupon yet! Your other father is proud of you. 👍

I think the thing with kitchen gadgets like this is to find a way to make several staple recipes in it regularly. Then experiment. That way you’re actually going to use it often. Hubby and son did a lot of online recipe reading. The air fryer is in use two or three times a week.

I think the no cheese caution is cause melted cheese gets all over unless you’re paying attention.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I've been blessed today. I'm still hobbling around with a crutch - and last night a new friend/old acquaintance, Debbie, insisted on coming by to walk the little girl. Not only did she come walk the girl - but she brought me a huge bowl of green salad. No dressing. Just a whole bowl of fresh prepped veggies.

Wow.

Ironically - I know this person because for 20 odd years she ran a chip truck in Hamilton (in the corner of the lot outside of the drive thru beer store so you know she is a tough cookie) where Isaac and Laine and I liked to stop for lunch sometimes. She gave up the chip truck because it was just getting a bit too much (the drug issues here, as in many cities, has turned the downtown area into a bit of a nightmare). Then I was lucky enough to run into her outside of her house this summer while walking the dog and we are becoming friends.

But how much better can it get? Instead of fries (so delicious, but alas not good), today I was blessed with a salad from her.

2023 I'm ready for you!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wow Debbie is smart! Hmmm..... air fryer is SUPPOSED to be good for fries!

I can't figure out though it seems to me that this sucker gets hotter in the grill or roast setting than it does on the "air fry" setting.

I also am wondering what is going on with "gourmia" and costco -- have they really put out a product that doesn't have an internal temperature sensor? I'm thinking that they don't have one in there and they are just basing their temperature settings on timing. Which to me would be mind-boggling both in terms of cooking correctly and it being a safety feature. Not even counting how inexpensive such a sensor would be.

If they have one in there, then I don't understand why the "preheat" setting doesn't automatically end when the temperature is reached but keeps going on based on time. -- oh well.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Wish I could help with your questions about the air fryer PAV. However it’s hubby’s toy. I’m strictly an oven, stove, pot and pan person. I still do veggie chopping by hand.

Gadgets are just another thing to clean up and speed isn’t important to me. Yup- old school all the way.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yay, Yooly. Veggie Chopping by hand!!! A good knife and chopping board and you're all set.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Happy new year everyone!

These holidays..I overate a little. To put it mildly... :p

So, back on track, and time for breakfast!

rr80vlA.jpg

04dLb9F.jpg

Hope everyone is doing wonderful, many salutations from Sunny Greece! B)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    And a happy new year from sunny Texas to you too Dante. We have survived the holidays hopefully without too much damage.

I don’t know how Dante makes a simple egg, cheese and veggie dish look like a gourmet feast! Just beautiful and so simple.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I was doing really well until I decided to rearrange the freezer. Stashed there were extra Christmas cookies that required sampling. So now I’m left with few calories for later today. I’ve logged it (shamefully) and will proceed with planned food for today. I’ll be over I guess but at least I’ve been honest and will get back to not mindlessly shoveling food when I’m not even hungry.

On a more positive note - hot goldfish have returned!5gk81q9y8tgh.jpeg
    They’re really spicy. Make a good snack because you KNOW you ate something! I like them with soup too.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    looks beautiful, Dante!
    Good work, Yooly.

SUN???????? I've forgotten what that is.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I think Pav should post more of his concoctions and brews!……I’m back …..lol
  • PAV8888
    Options
    PAV is quiet because he has pre-logged his coleslaw with onions and potatoes and snausages that is sitting in the fridge ready to eat... but got distracted by a couple of slices of bread and cheese (~325 Cal) in the air drier. And some Chimes Ginger Chews (~70 Cal) and copious amounts of black coffee... and trying to figure out what happened to his head this morning... thankfully aspirin thingy kicked in eventually! But will be coming back with more!

(another downside to pre-logging the way we were discussing the other day @lauriekallis is that you don't have a clear picture of the one particular day that you're in. Sure you have your running total for the week/month/what have you if you will. But you lose the "this day's feedback". So I would say it works better at maintenance but probably less effective for me if I am trying to strike a balance between zero or negative effective deficit or too large of a deficit such that by itself I'm increasing the risk of over-eating because of the size of deficit applied... and that's a fine balance depending on which state of mind and eating I'm in!)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I can see that being an issue, PAV. Perhaps I'll just do my bulk preparation/cooking and divide it by meals and log it that way. At least I only have to do that math once...and I'll have multiple "no thinking involved" meals ready for a few days. Which is what I was thinking I wanted from that idea.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Having little packages with either a label or a marker that states how many calories are there (and even WHAT is in there since you seem to run into mystery packages sometimes)... I think that would work great for you.

Outdoor masking tape does exist, I believe... not sure what else I would use for a freezer with marking other than that or maybe freezer ziplog bags and a permanent marker... but less re-usable unless you're very neat and move down the bag with your writing :lol: (I'm assuming you to be super environmentally friendly and unwilling to throw out zip-log freezer bags after a single use) :smiley:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We had “ fried” ( if you want to call it that! ) pork chops, sliced tomatoes, cottage cheese, and a Birds Eye Steamer with vegetables and rotini pasta in it….I am stuffed!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    did you use your air fryer?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Connie, I am curious about the "fried" (if you want to call it that!) also! :smile:

PAV, I wasn't thinking to freeze these batches (which I already do) - more along the lines of something that would be okay in the fridge for several days....cook up a batch and eat that everyday until it is gone...repeat.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I seasoned the chops with 4 tsp flour, salt, pepper,thyme and a pinch of paprika….heated 4 tsp olive oil then I fried them up and blotted with paper towels before we ate them….trimmed the fat and cut the bone out!