Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,723 Member
    edited January 23
    Options
    The salt on ANY of the noodle bowls is INSANE. Actually pretty much all of the pre-made soups.
    I still remember my shocked incomprehension of my weight trajectory after eating Chunky Soup during one of my early days of logging!

Hmm... it is a mood thing I guess. Technically by weight the normal Ramen and the rice based noodles have almost indistinguishable calories. But I sometimes walk away with the impression that I got a better "bargain" by eating the rice noodles... and impressions count! Maybe I just prefer them more? They do absorb sriracha better!!!! :lol:

Most of the noodle packs track pretty closely to the weight of the noodles in terms of the total calories. The ho-ya are only 70g though they still produce "a bowl".

To my defense re: salt this is a 3:1 or more dilution.

You're supposed to make the soup with only ~400ml of water (I tend to go a bit more). But then I mixed the noodle bowl into 888.88 ml of NO SALT beef broth :wink: plus the veggies.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,660 Member
    Options
    I sort of clumped both noodles together - Pho and Ramen. Thank you for your post, Yooly - it made me look up the difference.

More often than not they involve meat/meat broth - so I guess that is why they haven't become a part of my usual diet - but - I like the idea of the rice noodles? Maybe I'll try some pho???
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Mushroom flavor, lots of onion and scallion some basil maybe 1 to 3g oil especially if chili flavored and rice noodles and I think you will make credible inroads. Add sprouts and you will be in restaurant territory
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    Maybe some real mushrooms? Tofu?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    Tonight is BBQ shredded chicken from the freezer, Cole slaw, and 3 bean salad.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Tonight is BBQ shredded chicken from the freezer, Cole slaw, and 3 bean salad.
    I should have come over for supper at your house. Mine was cereal, yogurt and a banana 🍌.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 5
    Options
    1/3 of the veggies and a frozen dinner were lunch. 1/3 of the veggies and a (double smoked farmer) sausage in soup was early dinner Depending on calories I might throw in the noodle pack with the last third of the veggies and another of the same sausages for "late dinner"! Some "splits" are approximate! :lol:

I checked my freezer... but BBQ shredded chicken, coleslaw and bean salad did NOT pop out!!!! :disappointed:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Pffft I heard some food purists in the background while I am DEMOLISHING THE BUNNIES!

So... in addition to ANOTHER 28g of Sour Patch kids first sour and then sweet for 105 Cal, I also demolished 445g of yellow and orange carrots and cut green beans which I floated into a couple of ~400g containers (825g to be exact) of Allen Family Foods Golden Cauliflower with Chickpeas and Turmeric indian taste influenced soup.

I supposed on a menu I would be waxing poetic about the curry dreams wafting through the kitchen!!! :wink:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    So I brought a new yogurt flavor to work and it was so bad (looking at you, Chobani Zero Sugar strawberry cheesecake) that I tossed it after 2 bites. Fortunately the convenience store at work had chicken vegetable soup for sale, got a 12oz cup for $3.04. I'm eating around the biggest chunks of potato but not worrying if I get smaller ones. It's tasty and meets my needs.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I bought the Chobani Zero cookies n cream flavor yogurt. What a disappointment! A whisper of very finely ground chocolate and no cream. Not even a mild tang of yogurt. Basically taste 👅 less.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Both of those yogurts sound so decadent! What a disappointment.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    I bought the Chobani Zero cookies n cream flavor yogurt. What a disappointment! A whisper of very finely ground chocolate and no cream. Not even a mild tang of yogurt. Basically taste 👅 less.

Funny, I had the cookies and cream the night before and it was tolerable. But the strawberry cheesecake had a very artificial, almost metallic taste.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Okay - maybe I’ll give the Chobani a “tolerable”. But I was hoping for a little more flavor? I’ve got three more to eat so maybe the next ones will be better. Yoplait seems to have more flavor to me.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Are these "regular" yogurts or "greek"/strained/skyr? And 0% or 2% or?? I am sure it makes a difference!

I still think that I prefer using my own "add-ins" to the plains. On occasion (mainly because plain 0% seems to often disappear from the shelves) I end up with "vanilla" but that's as far as I go since the rest appear to be substantially more calories for the quantities I'm playing with (450 to 750g at a go)!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I usually opt for plain Greek yogurt with my own add ins too. However hubby went shopping and found the Chobani on sale. Obviously he could not pass up a deal!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    I hate plain yogurt. I always end up having to put so much in it to make it tolerable that it defeats the "healthy" purpose of it. So I just get flavored ones. Chobani key lime is one of my favorites but I like most of the fruit based flavors.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm with you, PAV. Usually I'm a plain greek plus blueberries or bananas gal, but when I go to Newfoundland I buy the sweetened vanilla 2% greek because the boy likes that and the only time he eats yogurt is when I visit. Lately my hamsters having me avoiding yogurt :s maybe I should buy vanilla to lure them back into the plan?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Tonight's supper - a wonderful freezer discovery :) - lentil pumpkin with spinach and coconut, which I recall being delicious! - and the new, more moderate me, will have this with a serving of egg noodles :) and maybe a dollop of that "dreaded" yogurt :) before it expires.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    What the *kittens*! What's dreadful about yogurt? 😱

SHAVINGS of chocolate and SLIVERED almonds could also be deployed! Cocoa powder!

It is amazing how visually "plentiful" (yet NOT much by weight and thus total Calories) slivered and shaved can be
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,014 Member
    edited February 15
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of slivering, shaving, grating, crushing and crumbling.

For instance 10g of parmesan grated on a micro-grater makes a lovely satisfying mound on top of a bowl of soup, and the same amount shaved with a potato peeler over a salad adds lovely flavour-bombs every few forkfuls.

As for yoghurt, I always buy full fat proper (imported) greek yoghurt (the type that's 10% - 12% fat) and I just add some defrosted berries. If I want to be really decandent I add one square (10g) of Lindt dark chocolate (again grated really finely). Unlike Pav, I go for quality over quantity - full fat yoghurt is high in calories, so I have to limit myself to 100g, but a little goes a long way.