This January “I Will...”. NEWCOMERS, begin here!

Options

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,765 Member
    Options
    1. This January I will limit my carb intake.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal I’ll keep my daily carbs under 120.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. I’ll log all my meals by lunchtime so that I can adjust snacks
    4. How often will you do your new habit - Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks reinforce the habit you are trying to build.) I’ll say Victory!
    6. What help would you like from us? Hold me accountable
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? I will be down 2-3 pounds (I’m up after holiday indulgence), have fewer headaches, and have better control of my sugar intake.

@znaoiec I love your goals. My sister plays piano and is working on developing a daily practice habit. I’ll ask her when she fits it in her day. BTW, Tiny Habits by Fogg is an easy read. I read it in a few days. I also got it from the library.

@MadisonMolly2017 , Glad you started the new year right by practicing your art. Feeling devalued as an artist is hard.
  • 77tes
    Options
    @SummerSkier I find it so hard to do stuff at bedtime. I actually have started doing my teeth right after dinner. It helps me not to snack since I’m doing intermittent fasting from dinner to breakfast. It also helps me get to bed at a decent hour because I’d keep putting off going to bed because I needed to do my teeth.

@SuperMotivated56 we’ll have to cheer one another on on our carb reduction plans.

@nebslp Bonne Année to you! It looks like your keeping up with your French! I’m trying to practice Duolingo every day. Maybe one of these days I’ll take classes like you have.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    1. My goal for January I will be continuing, for yet another month, working on (gently 💖) taming my buddy Paper Tiger 🐯. I must still focus on his known home: the File Cabinet, and his not so secret hideouts: the Banker Boxes beside said file cabinet, as well as last month's now much smaller chair pile, which still exists, but has not significantly grown during December due to my keeping up with the continued maintenance of incoming paper.
    For a little diversion I will continue give some time to keep discovering those additional places where he has become nearly (🌿🐯🌳) invisible. Although these are becoming more scarce because of 2020's finds. I will still be more aware of my quest to discover them while I declutter, and especially while I deeper clean parts of my home this January.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I will decide the night before which which file or folder or space that I will start with in the morning. I will write it on the clip board.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: I will begin first thing after I have made my cup of tea while straightening up after the morning activity in the kitchen. Or after I start the laundry, after the kitchen is straightened up.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: 5-6 times a week during January.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit: smile as P. Tiger grows steadily smaller.
    6. What help do you need from us? Your amazing encouragement.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of this month: I will be even that much more closer to having only papers that are important. Both drawers of the file cabinet are already beginning to look attractive once again because they both are definitely not stuffed full any more!! Soon the banker boxes will have another use, and the space around the file cabinet will be clear once again. The nearly invisible hiding places that Paper Tiger has discovered will become even less inviting for paper to remain there comfortably.

I also have a secondary goal of getting back to my general decluttering and re-organizing a bit while doing some deeper cleaning throughout my home during January. I plan to follow the above guidelines.

Thanks everyone 💖

🤠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 What a lovely start to our New Month/ New Year 2021. I really like the picture that you used to start us off for our goal during January. It added beauty to the first page. Thank you 🌼 .

I think that one of my favorite parts of January is putting up the new calendars, and also tidying the house up after Christmas festivities or preparations are finished and packed away for yet another year. Of course this past Christmas was different in so many ways for us all.

A new favorite part of January, at least for a second year in a row, is that I purchase an Amaryllis bulb or two to bloom indoors, during January, as a gift to ourselves. Then I pot it up outside later on in the year. I also give several away to family as gifts.

One thing I noticed when looking about this evening is that I had not even put the bin or other things away as we weren't having company into our home. Neither did I do that extra measure of decorating and tidying that I would have done had we been having company over. We were the ones who went out to see friends/ family on their porch/ front yard while keeping the distance advised.

@SuperMotivated56 welcome to the Building Healthy Habits group! Congratulations on your health/ weight loss achievements to date! Well done!!

@77tes
    thanks for sharing the excellent tidbits from James Clear’s recent email. I appreciate that. Also, thank you for helping me with information about paper trackers. I experimented with one during December and am already set up for January. I track my main goal(s) here on this thread, and those, plus several secondary ones on the paper tracker. Seeing the circle getting colored in (or not) was eyeopening for me. It was good to actually 'see' that I really did have a few secondary habits pretty much nailed down, and others definitely not yet.

@znaoiec That is really great that you purchased yourself a piano keyboard. You can do this! Many, many years ago we purchased one for our children. My eldest taught himself how to play it using children's beginner piano books that I purchased for the children who might be interested. As a result of, and a reward for his determination in this, I then took him to start piano lessons. We eventually purchased him a 'students' piano and he went on to play in front of audiences during several programs and also recitals. At college there was a piano in his dorm so he continued to play. He took the piano with him after graduation, and eventually gave it away when he was getting married. His wife is a piano/ violin teacher so they now have a piano in their home. This all started with a simple keyboard we gave to our children one year. I write this to encourage you in your endeavor to learn to play the keyboard! That is so cool that you can get keyboard lessons on line now!! I wish you the best, as well as much enjoyment in this adventure!

@SummerSkier I really like your 'small actions' that you are taking to accomplish your January's goal - putting the makeup remover pads within reach of your dental care things. That is simply brilliant! I like how you are focusing on taking care of yourself. Too often taking care of ourselves can easily fall off the grid, so to speak, as we take care of the many other seemingly more pressing things and also our own level of tiredness after a long day. Good for you for choosing your recent goals!

@77tes I really like what your success will look like at the end of the month with your January goal. That is really well thought out. I actually need to do something about my consuming an unusually larger amount of absolutely amazing baked goodies this Christmas. Not only what we received as gifts, but some things that I had baked for gifts for others, and apparently for ourselves as well 😵🤦‍♀️🤣😂 . This afternoon I had the last bites that were left. Now I'm having those awful carb/ sweet cravings tonight. And my 92% chocolate that I love, just isn't cutting it tonight.... duh 😄🥴.

Happy New Year 2021 y'all.

🤠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,794 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year and so great to see such activity. Now we have 2 low carbers for the month - I think prelogging at lunch is definitely the way to go @77tes as that is what I do altho it is not for macros but just to keep track of calories. @SuperMotivated56 I will be interested to see how you choose to implement your no cereal lower carbs ideas also.

@MadisonMolly2017 what an absolutely awesome way to start the new year with working on your art!!! I know last month was a stressful one for you and perhaps that is why you were not able to focus as much as you would normally.

@texasgardnr I have a new amaryllis as well which has a bloom stalk coming up. I have about 6 outside that I did not try to force this year so I am wondering if they will bloom this spring or not. I did not cut the leaves off but have just left them and water them. Best of luck this month continuing on the paper tiger.

@znaoiec welcome and as a childhood pianist and harpist who only has a keyboard now, I can tell you that it is a very soothing experience to play music. My mother was a teacher for many years,

@nebslp have you decided on your habit for the month? WIll you continue with the wall sitting?

Yesterday was a gorgeous day altho a bit chilly and breezy. Here are my favorite photos of the day. And I did file all my photos the end of the month again and put them on flash drives. I find when my energy level and attitude is upbeat I take a lot more pictures. LOL. However I am also playing with the "spoiler" feature to keep from having the post be enormous...
    p7zx5ckqnhj4.png
    f27px2gpacmn.png
    qhciypc4hgwu.png

• suefitnessaccount
    suefitnessaccount Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Sue, 47 and 203lbs.

I'm new to this group and am looking to slowly build small healthy habits that I can stick to, rather than my usual restrict and bingle cycle that I've continued for years, always returning to a higher weight.

So I've nearly finished my first week. My first 'I will' is 'I will track my steps aiming for 10-15,000 steps for 6/7 days a week' - to achieve this I put my tracker watch on in the morning, charge it every 3 days and use all opportunities to build up steps during the day. I have nearly completed the first week.

So for week 2 (4-11Jan) I will be tracking honestly my calories on MFP. This is in addition to my steps goal. To achieve this I will weigh my food instead of guestimating (my usual method) and carry on tracking even when I am over calorie goal (I usually stop at this point). I'm not going to set a limit this week, instead I want to be more accurate and realistic so that I can set a goal that is achievable.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    My January habit is to write a small note to my parents Thursday through Sundays. They are both living in a nursing home since my dad’s stroke in 2019 and living in a nursing home in a pandemic is just horrible. My dad is pretty accessible by phone but my mom is not. So I’m going to start sending brief cards to let them know i’m thinking about them. I have a bit more time on the mornings Thursday through Sunday, so that’s the best time to practice this new habit, as it won’t be competing with my start time at work. I am leaving the cards, the address labels and the stamps out prominently, where everything is super accessible. In five minutes, I can dash off a quick note.

So here’s my January habit:

On Thursday through Sunday

AFTER I’ve made my cup of morning tea,
    I WILL write a quick note to my mom or dad.

Happy New Year!

—Denise
  • 77tes
    Options
    Hi @suefitnessaccount ! Welcome. I found tracking my food on MFP was the secret sauce for losing weight. You’ve got a good activity goal too.

@SuperMotivated56 , I’ve got a low carb recipe for granola. It’s not low calorie, but it might help transition fem your cereal habit.
  • 77tes
    Options
    Hi Denise @themedalist you January goal sounds like such a wonderful idea. Lovely way to connect to your Mom and Dad. Glad you can share your habit building skills! Your guitar-learning success should be an inspiration to @znaoiec who is starting to learn piano.
  • 77tes
    Options
    @themedalist I just ordered the Wendy Wood book from the library.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,981 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Sue, 47 and 203lbs.

I'm new to this group and am looking to slowly build small healthy habits that I can stick to, rather than my usual restrict and bingle cycle that I've continued for years, always returning to a higher weight.

So I've nearly finished my first week. My first 'I will' is 'I will track my steps aiming for 10-15,000 steps for 6/7 days a week' - to achieve this I put my tracker watch on in the morning, charge it every 3 days and use all opportunities to build up steps during the day. I have nearly completed the first week.

So for week 2 (4-11Jan) I will be tracking honestly my calories on MFP. This is in addition to my steps goal. To achieve this I will weigh my food instead of guestimating (my usual method) and carry on tracking even when I am over calorie goal (I usually stop at this point). I'm not going to set a limit this week, instead I want to be more accurate and realistic so that I can set a goal that is achievable.

Welcome @suefitnessaccount !!!
    What a great accomplishment You have already completed, and a great plan for week 2!!!

I highly recommend using the Ultimate Accountability Challenge (UAC) in addition to our Building Healthy Habits! They have worked synergistically for me to lose my final 25lbs of 75 & keep them off 2.5 years!!

At least one other of our active members is also in the UAC!

All our best to you🎉🌟🎶
    Maddie!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Hi everyone! And happy new year! One thing that seems like a safe bet...2021 will be a better year!

I’m sorry for my abrupt departure from the group last fall. I knew that this group would be in very capable hands with Maddie at the helm. And I was right! :) Maddie thank you for all your hard work, energy, and creative ideas for inspiring us all to build small habits that then compound day after day becoming large impactors on our health, happiness, and lives. Great intro to both James Clear and BJ Fogg!

I just wrapped up rereading Atomic Habits, read BJ Fogg’s book Tiny Habits (The title is quite the shocker isn’t it? I didn’t see that coming! :) ) and now I’m reading Wendy Wood’s book. The habits review is because... I am giving a talk on habits to our team at work in mid January! And then I’m giving that same talk to a community group in town that I’m part of the end of January. I’m both excited and nervous... because understanding habits has been so helpful to me in my life, I feel it’s important to share what I’ve learned from others over the last 10 years.

Hey Denise! @themedalist !
    Great to hear from you!
    Love that you are giving talks & your letter writing habit!
    I’m happy to hand the reins back to you, as I know *everyone* including me, misses you!

Hugs,
    Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Jan I Will Challenge
    ⏰ 11:45 prep alarm
    🕛 Noon hard start time
    Dur Duration of art session
    📸 Photos taken & loaded on art site
    🎨 Evening clean/set-up of art table

⏰🕛Dur 📸🎨
    12/31 🌟
    Jan 1. 🌟🌟1:20 🌟🌟
    Watercolor wet in wet landscapes w/ Neocolor II textures. More later this afternoon... 😁
    Jan 2 🌟🌟1:30 🌟
    Subtle colored pencil, added additional details, cropping one image for better composition!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 I love the new profile picture - new path opening up. 😊

@summerskier love the photos!
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, and thanks for all the welcomes and encouragement.

I have already continued on my original goal of avoiding all chocolate and lollies/sweets and this January I will add to this and avoid all breakfast cereals.

The small actions that I'll be taking to accomplish this goal is to remember my previous success of eliminating chocolate and lollies from my diet and the sense of accomplishment that this gives me.
    What I will do to support this habit is to "pause", as well as "plan" for those times when I am tempted by the cereal and instead have a better alternative worked out and easily on hand.
    I will continue to practice this habit daily.
    I will immediately reward myself by smiling at myself and logging an additional day of accomplishing this.
    The help that I would like from you is your support and knowing that I have additional accountability.
    Success to me at the end of January will be a full 5-weeks of accomplishing this (my first "cereal-free" day was the 29th of December).

I'm pumped and ready to be there to offer you all support too. :)<3
  • Jomarunner
    Jomarunner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This January I will take it one day at a time with changing my eating habits. My healthier eating habits will hopefully trigger more energy, then trigger exercise and eventually all lead to weight loss.

Thanks!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @Jomarunner welcome! Changing eating habits is magic!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm just checking in to say that January will officially start on Tuesday (5th) for me. My daughter and 2 grandkids have come to spend 4 days at my house because they've been out of school for 2 weeks and we all feel safe to be together. On Tuesday I will get serious about my goal, but for now I'm just enjoying this special time. Definitely watching my food but not obsessing about anything. My goal will be to hydrate inside and out in January with lots of water and lotion, but the specifics aren't nailed down on paper just yet. It's good to see so many great goals! Welcome 2021 <3