This January “I Will...”. NEWCOMERS, begin here!

Options

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    and now I am picturing little volkswagons on my feet and rollerskating around the house.... I dunno about the vaseline but the one does feel better this morning. I know at the spa when they put hot wax on they put your foot in a little plastic boot for a few minutes.

@77tes YES! there is madge! We all need her too. LOL. I have seen less folks going low carb and keto this year than last so I think the "rage" on that is on the downswing. I probably will eventually grow up and watch my macro percentages more as I am sure they really do make a difference whatever the choice is. I remember Maddie talking about reducing her protein which was a shocker to me because I can never GET more than about 20% even on a day I have shrimp or eggs or such...

@nebslp good for you getting on plan again. Did the exercise equipment enjoy being in use again also?

summerearlyonSat
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @PKM0515 WELCOME back and please don't feel like you have to respond to every single post you see. I find that completely overwhelming sometimes also. Of course then when people don't respond to MY posts (because of course they are the most important ones!) I get my nose out of joint. It's a 2 edged sword but sometimes just being here and posting the stars is all that can be done by me as well.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @PKM0515 WELCOME back and please don't feel like you have to respond to every single post you see. I find that completely overwhelming sometimes also. Of course then when people don't respond to MY posts (because of course they are the most important ones!) I get my nose out of joint. It's a 2 edged sword but sometimes just being here and posting the stars is all that can be done by me as well.

Lol, thanks, @SummerSkier! 😁

Happy Sunday, Everyone! I hope you're all enjoying the weekend.

1/15/21: M 🌟
    1/16/21: M 🌟
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    17 Jan. Time is flying. WOW.

1/1 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/2 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/3 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/4 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/5 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/6 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/7 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F NA 🌟, B x
    1/8 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/9 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/10 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/11 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/12 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/13 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/14 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/15 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/16 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟

Experimenting a little bit with moving some of the evening things around so they don't seem like SO MANY to get done which feels burdensome. Of course when I freshen the linens earlier in the evening my little kit HaiHai is SO SO SOooooo helpful and why bother? lol

@nebslp you gonna stomp the rest of January my friend? Question, Does everybody have a battery drawer? I think it must be.

SummeronSunday
  • PKM0515
    Options
    🔝 Love all those 🌟's!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,981 Member
    Options
    17 Jan. Time is flying. WOW.

Experimenting a little bit with moving some of the evening things around so they don't seem like SO MANY to get done which feels burdensome. Of course when I freshen the linens earlier in the evening my little kit HaiHai is SO SO SOooooo helpful and why bother? lol

@nebslp you gonna stomp the rest of January my friend? Question, Does everybody have a battery drawer? I think it must be.

SummeronSunday

We have a battery medium sized storage suitcase - keep it on shelf in our bedroom closet as most of our technology pre-COViD was upstairs & it’s at hand if power goes out Or earthquake. Makes running out of batteries a thing of the past! Yay!!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    1/17/21: M 🌟
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,759 Member
    Options
    It's so great to see how well you are all doing and the individual progress that you are making. This image below is for each of you, as much as it is a "fist pump" for me :)

I have completed a full two weeks now without any cereal, chocolates or lollies. There were a few tempting moments with the cereal these past few days, but I stayed on track. Having some other options already planned out are really helping.
    b9kmuy980waw.png

@SuperMotivated56 Hooray for two weeks of awesomeness! I think Not doing/avoiding something is more difficult than doing something. As in not eating something that you usually eat and enjoy is a lot harder than eating 5 servings of vegetables or working out x minutes.

@MadisonMolly2017 I have had to readjust my evening routine because I had too much at the end of the day.
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you, 77les, for your encouragement. I agree with you. Sometimes breaking old habits is more challenging than creating new ones. I’m really hoping that it will become something that I eventually won’t even think about, as there have been some moments of serious contemplation 🙃
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    Hydration: January. M morning, A afternoon, N night
    1 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    2 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    3 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    4 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    5 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    6 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    7 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    8 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    Tweak: log M and N only
    9 M🌟 N🌟
    10 M🌟 N🌟
    11 M🌟 N🌟
    12 M🌟 N🌟
    Updating on computer/no star icon (or eye roll) so will use sunglasses instead.
    13 M B) N B)
    14 M B) N B)
    15 M B) N B)
    16 M B) N B)
    17 M :o N B)
    18 M B) N

I'm doing OK. Not stellar but am on the way to a better attitude :)
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @PKM0515 Glad to see your shining stars again :)
    @SummerSkier I had to give up trying to keep track of umteen things I wanted to do and focus on the ones that really matter to me. Good idea for you to do some adjusting. HaiHai likes routine and knows when the bed is ready, it's time to snuggle in.
    @texasgardnr Thanks for the idea of using virtual tours to get some walking in. I did a bike tour in a Netherlands national park last night and those 25 minutes never passed that fast before on the bike. They even had bird sounds and green grass. <3
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Thats what I miss most about being remote. When I used to walk 2x a day with my friend the steps just FLEW by as we were having our talks.. :( Virtual does sound nice tho.

@nebslp doing OK but not stellar is still movement in the right direction eh?
    @MadisonMolly2017 AN ENTIRE SUITCASE for batteries. WOw. That is impressive. Puts my little drawer of AA and AAA and coins to shame. :blush:
    @PKM0515 nice to see some stars showing up in January for you also. Thank you for returning to help brighten the posts!
    @77tes yes easy to overload one particular time and then everything goes to kitten. But also wise of you to realize this and work to change the timing on things. That is exactly what I am doing and I find it a relief even if the kitten finds it more fun (I wish I could get a photo of the laser glowing eyes under the sheets).
    @SuperMotivated56 totally agree about "stopping" being sometimes harder than "adding". but sounds like you are doing well and realize it is not easy!

As far as stars. I actually have no idea how to make them on my PC either. I just copy from my last post to the next one... and edit the date.

1/17 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/18 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
  • clcommander14
    clcommander14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HELLO! I am new to the board/group and just trying to find a better community to help especially with accountability. I notice that most of those that comment the most are women. I would live to find other Dad's in their 40's looking to get better on track.

The idea of small habits intrigues me. Mainly, it is how my mind works. I am an engineer who can often get overwhelmed and lose sight of the entire picture if there are too much data and action items. I use a lot of productivity tools in my life and I spent a good amount of the holidays this year working on my 2021 goals and bettering me. My god as I read that I just imagine what 20-year-old Chris would say! What a dork.

I use tools to breakdown all my goals into small bites of achievable actions so I can actually see myself ticking away at items and not get lost. It also makes it easier to fit into my other life, you know the one that works and has a family! With my goals and resolutions, I also have a weekly task or goal or whatever to do that would fit into what you guys are talking about.

So this week is making sure I achieve AT LEAST 20 minutes of activity each day. Can be a gym day or a dog walk, but just making sure, especially working from home, I do not get stagnate.

My goal for the year however is related to weight like so many. It is a long story but I am a former athlete who weighs now around 275. We have an annual trip in August and there was something I normally would do with my daughter that I could not last August because the weight limit was 275. I was so embarrassed but mad more than anything. I use my weekly/monthly/and resolution goals to get there. My goal is to get down to between 255 and 260 by August 1st.

I am curious if any of you have used reward systems for goals. I have issues with eating too much or sneaking dessert for no reason. Anyone used a point system or reward/punishment for something like that?
    Enough from me for now, but thanks to all
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Thats what I miss most about being remote. When I used to walk 2x a day with my friend the steps just FLEW by as we were having our talks.. :( Virtual does sound nice tho.

@nebslp doing OK but not stellar is still movement in the right direction eh?
    @MadisonMolly2017 AN ENTIRE SUITCASE for batteries. WOw. That is impressive. Puts my little drawer of AA and AAA and coins to shame. :blush:
    @PKM0515 nice to see some stars showing up in January for you also. Thank you for returning to help brighten the posts!
    @77tes yes easy to overload one particular time and then everything goes to kitten. But also wise of you to realize this and work to change the timing on things. That is exactly what I am doing and I find it a relief even if the kitten finds it more fun (I wish I could get a photo of the laser glowing eyes under the sheets).
    @SuperMotivated56 totally agree about "stopping" being sometimes harder than "adding". but sounds like you are doing well and realize it is not easy!

As far as stars. I actually have no idea how to make them on my PC either. I just copy from my last post to the next one... and edit the date.

1/17 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/18 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟

@summerskier
    Nope... a “medium sized storage suitcase”
    15”x10”

Works great!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    HELLO! I am new to the board/group and just trying to find a better community to help especially with accountability. I notice that most of those that comment the most are women. I would live to find other Dad's in their 40's looking to get better on track.

The idea of small habits intrigues me. Mainly, it is how my mind works. I am an engineer who can often get overwhelmed and lose sight of the entire picture if there are too much data and action items. I use a lot of productivity tools in my life and I spent a good amount of the holidays this year working on my 2021 goals and bettering me. My god as I read that I just imagine what 20-year-old Chris would say! What a dork.

I use tools to breakdown all my goals into small bites of achievable actions so I can actually see myself ticking away at items and not get lost. It also makes it easier to fit into my other life, you know the one that works and has a family! With my goals and resolutions, I also have a weekly task or goal or whatever to do that would fit into what you guys are talking about.

So this week is making sure I achieve AT LEAST 20 minutes of activity each day. Can be a gym day or a dog walk, but just making sure, especially working from home, I do not get stagnate.

My goal for the year however is related to weight like so many. It is a long story but I am a former athlete who weighs now around 275. We have an annual trip in August and there was something I normally would do with my daughter that I could not last August because the weight limit was 275. I was so embarrassed but mad more than anything. I use my weekly/monthly/and resolution goals to get there. My goal is to get down to between 255 and 260 by August 1st.

I am curious if any of you have used reward systems for goals. I have issues with eating too much or sneaking dessert for no reason. Anyone used a point system or reward/punishment for something like that?
    Enough from me for now, but thanks to all

Hi @clcommander14 ! And welcome to the group. Some of us are tech/engineers too with a similar style to your’s! I have a BE & MS in Engineering. Hopefully your being here will draw in more men as all perspectives are helpful!

I have used a reward now & again when I Really am stuck in a bad eating place. I, in effect, give myself a reward that is greater than the pain of not being able to eat my current craving.

Rewards can be helpful, research says, in the beginning of a change for the reason above.

The key is having a motivational goal that is more important than the short term reward of eating the dessert or whatever.

Why sneak dessert? That just makes it more alluring usually. Why not just have dessert that you relish every bite? It was a big ah-ha for me when I realize the moment you make a food off limits or bad, our brains make it more valuable.

But how come we never say I’m going to sneak another helping of broccoli?

So, you say you sneak dessert for no reason... there IS a reason. You get to be a detective & figure that out for you...

Things I’ve read/heard:
    We’ve been so careful with our eating all day that are discipline muscle weakens

We feel deprived...how come others can have it & I can’t. Fact 78% of Americans are overweight or obese. Remembering that always helps me with my “But why can’t I...”

Some feel refined carbs stimulate their appetite
    Others it’s sugar
    Others it’s salt
    Others it’s fats
    Others it’s texture: crunch, creamy, etc.

So I stated paying attention.
    I get real hunger & I get “mouth hunger”
    The latter is triggered by sugars & salt (a huge surprise)...

Americans rated foods more tasty the more fat sugar & salt they had.
    A piece of plain French Bread I can pass
    French bread with butter harder to pass
    French toast I can pass
    French toast with butter pretty hard to pass
    French toast with butter & maple syrup ie Triple Threat very hard to pass.

An Apple - easy to pass
    Apple Fritter (salt sugar & fat) difficult

Cream easy to pass
    Cream pie difficult
    Ice cream horribly difficult salt sugar fat

So think about your desserts that call to you
    What are they telling you
    Sugar?
    Salt?
    Fat?

Also from a podcast- she recommends allotting say 200 calories a day to eat at a specific time as your “treat”

Then you Really think about what you Really want. Chocolate chip cookie, raspberry pie, lemon tart etc.

No food is bad only quantities.

Do you have a food scale?
    That will help you SO MUCH in getting to better portion sizes.

I no longer let myself “eat with abandon” it had become my form of destresser my relaxation with dire health consequences.

It’s just food.
    It’s bit comfort
    It’s not fun
    It’s not a friend
    It’s not relaxation

It’s food that is broken down by your body to give you energy, rebuild cells, and live life fully.

My big reason for losing 75 lbs (85 from my all time high) was to be with my husband and son as long as humanly possible & as ACTIVELY as possible. This has stopped me from eating many times. And it’s gotten me to walk 10K steps every day for coming on 3 years. And it’s gotten me to maintain for 2.5 years.

Sorry for writing so much but hopefully something in here will help you!

Welcome to the group
    Maddie
  • PKM0515
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Maddie, I love the idea of allotting 200 calories for a treat! As a diabetic and someone that is "told" by MFP that I'll GAIN on 1200 calories, I probably shouldn't do this. However, I may try it three times a week. (I'm currently in maintenance, not actively trying to lose.)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Maddie, I love the idea of allotting 200 calories for a treat! As a diabetic and someone that is "told" by MFP that I'll GAIN on 1200 calories, I probably shouldn't do this. However, I may try it three tines a week. (I'm currently in maintenance, not actively trying to lose.)

Hi @PKM0515
    Do you find you gain on 1200 carefully weighed, measured, tracked calories?

I was told 1200-1400 by many sources,but lost 4lbs a week on about 1600-1900

Perhaps try this with 100 calories every day if you do actually gain on 1200 per day
    Daily habits are better/more successful...

Or if you exercise you could add 100 cals worth + the 100 etc get an added health benefit.

In partnership
    Maddie ❤️
  • PKM0515
    edited January 2021
    Options
    1/17/21: M 🌟
    1/18/21: M 🙁 (AM good, PM not good)
    1/19/21: M 🙁 (AM good, PM not good)

I know the reason. My own fault.

@MadisonMolly2017, yes. That is going through the guided MFP set up, and it includes weekly workouts. Also, I go through it periodically to recalculate.

I have a great food scale, and I'm very conscious of the errors in the MFP database. I don't log every day, intentionally, but I weigh myself just about daily to keep track of things. My current goal is to maintain at between 100-105 pounds; currently, 101.

I saw my doctor in December and mentioned that I was so frustrated that I couldn't get/stay below 100. My doctor actually told me I shouldn't lose any more at my age.

I try to include "NEAT" strategies in my day. Walking around the house, up and down the stairs when I'm on the phone (which is a lot these days); doing little exercises while brushing my teeth or doing the dishes; taking extra trips up and down the stairs when I'm doing laundry, etc.

I really appreciate all your advice! I don't think what MFP is telling me is necessarily accurate, but it's discouraging. I don't have any sort of fitness tracker, so it's possible I'm burning more than I think.

I hope that everyone has a Wonderful Wednesday! 💕 🌞
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, I really enjoyed the interesting information in your post to @clcommander14! Lots of "food for thought." (That 78% figure is disheartening.)
  • clcommander14
    clcommander14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all. I do have a scale and one of my other goals this week was to work on portions. So a lot of measuring tools are being cleaned all day. I think my wife is annoyed, but HEY I AM THE ONE CLEANING. I am kidding, she is all behind me.

After writing that yesterday I thought about a few things I had read in a great book last year that I did.
    1. I wrote out on index cards if/then statements. "If I do this or think about this or want to do this", then"I will do this." So for instances, If I want a night time sweet, then my options are this...
    2. The other was a suggestion from my wife, in which I used another index card to outline all the ideas for helping me eat. So things like eating slower, methodical, and with purpose. Putting the fork down between bites. Feeling full and thus stopping for ten minutes to see if I really want more. etc etc.