This January “I Will...”. NEWCOMERS, begin here!

Options

Replies

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier well done being able to increase your cals on Jan 1! That must've been a good feeling indeed! This December I had some treats that I normally don't have around, and I enjoyed them immensely. Amazingly I didn't gain an ounce (I only weigh at the beginning of a month) and so I'm just adjusting back to my normal healthier foods and continuing readjusting my activity increases as I am able to.
    I certainly hope that your boss will actually transfer one of your accounts to another planner. Work stress can be so overwhelming sometimes, especially when load increases are piled on. I remember those days well.

@MadisonMolly2017 Good to read that your weight wasn't up and that you have been easing back into your previous food patterns that had worked for you. Hoping that this goes smoothly for you. You are so very diligent and also so aware of your food intake and how it affects your body. You certainly take the gift of your transplant seriously and it shows.

I am so sorry to read that your are now experiencing an outer hip pain syndrome. I truly understand your feeling down about not being able to walk your giant hill. I fight that feeling often, It is hard not being able to do what we loved and enjoyed doing previously. I do hope that your healing is fast, and then long lasting so that you can get back to your previous level of walking again.

Paper Tiger 🐯 = file cabinet/ old papers
    🌿🐯🌳 = hidden papers (such as found on book shelves or in drawers/closets)
    📄📬 = new paper and/ or mail
    🧩📚 = stuff
    💻📱 = digital

January 1st: 🧩📚. 6 items including puzzles, a game, a book etc to be given away/donated.
    January 2nd: 🐯, 📄📬. The chair pile was decluttered, with only two small folders remaining
    January 3: 💻📱 email
    January 4: 📄📬 new paper & mail maintenance
    January 5: 📄📬 just mail maintenance
    January 5: 📄📬 new paper & mail maintenance

🤠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,794 Member
    Options
    And I’ve developed an outer hip pain syndrome, so am icing, doing the roller & ball exercises that are recommended- occasional Tylenol. Need to reduce my walking miles so inflammation can die down & heal. After 3 years of 10K steps a day, it’s a bit scary -
    fewer calories. I never like to mess with the balance I know works for my maintenance but I have to this time. I can do this I can do this ...

I have to say I’m really quite down about this. All my giant hill walking apparently wasn’t the best for me. Sigh.

Internet says it’s treatable in medium timeframe ie months. Really Hoping I won’t need PT as I don’t think I’d risk going w/ COViD.

I meant to comment on this yesterday but I got totally sidetracked watching the shitshow we have in DC... :/
    Anyway, for the hip pain have you tried using shoes with a different heel drop? When my hips were hurting I used higher heels. Of course then my shin splint was angry so I had to go back to flats. Maybe it's the equipment and not the body or the giant hill? The other thought is not to cut your cals TOO much because a healing body or injury needs a little extra for the repair. So for instance when I hurt my knee I did not cut ALL my cals back but I adjusted down by about half of what exercise adds to my BMR.

My boss did say YES and I have started moving one of my accounts over. I may take it back in a few months when the exiting accounts are done but the gal taking it has done it in the past so it's not a huge learning curve. :)

@texasgardnr I think I am with you on maybe the monthly weighing thing. You did SO good over the holidays but I bet you have started being more active as well? It seems to me you were able to do a little more walking in Dec?

Maddie best of luck with that deadline. Sometimes we work best under pressure?

@77tes when does teaching start up again for you? And grading papers? >:)

@nebslp is apparently still in a huff about that missed date of ours..... ;)

Summerlunchtime
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,765 Member
    Options
    One week done in 2021.

Limiting carbs is getting easier.

January 1 - net carbs 107g 🎖
    January 2 - net carbs 81g 🎖
    January 3 - net carbs 82g 🎖
    January 4 - net carbs 76g 🎖
    January 5 - net carbs 81g 🎖
    January 6 - net carbs 85g 🎖
    January 7- net carbs 65g 🤩🎖

New January tracker is about new beginnings. It’s supposed to represent a sunrise.

I’m adding another habit to my tracker - vocal practice. I’m taking a dance caller workshop, and the homework includes daily vocal practice. So I get a bead for every vocal practice.
    6bn08t24mcnd.jpeg

@SummerSkier my classes are both short term classes that start later, so no papers to grade until April.
    @MadisonMolly2017 I’m sorry to hear about the hip pain. Would a bike be better while giving some cardio?
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @SummerSkier Yeah, you're correct! I just looked at what I posted in the walk group I'm in and I had been able to increase my time on the rebounder and indoor walking during December. Even though I took extra rest days while increasing the extra times did help me stay stable weight wise apparently! It was good to look back with a different perspective. Thank you!

@77tes you certainly are doing well limiting your carbs!! That is exciting that you are taking a dance caller workshop! Is this for square dance or would it include other dance as well? Square dance is the only one that I would know about. I like your sunrise theme for your tracker to go with new beginnings of the year. Quite clever and Pretty!
    I'm experimenting this month again with a paper tracker. I'm enjoying coloring the spaces as a reward.

🧩📚 = stuff
    💻📱 = digital

January 1st: 🧩📚. 6 items including puzzles, a game, a book etc to be given away/donated.
    January 2nd: 🐯, 📄📬. The chair pile was decluttered, with only two small folders remaining
    January 4: 📄📬
    January 5: 📬
    January 6: 📄📬
    January 7: 📄📬 and 🌿🐯🌳 paper on bookshelf in bedroom

🤠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Just a quick drive by to say hi to YG and 77! I square danced a little when I was a kid and it was absolutely fabulous and the most fun ever! Glad you have a break for a little while from teaching. What a beautiful tracker also which reminds me totally of new beginnings!

TG that is most awesome that you are able to do a little more activity now. and the paper tiger is almost a *kitten* cat now yes?

I figured out my own hack to one of my habits this month. Hahaha. THe one where I remove my makeup in the evening? Well - not really a problem if I don't ever put makeup ON during the day.. OMG.... Of course I don't see anyone or am masked in the grocery so why waste it? Anyway. Just funny - the things a pandemic does to us. who knew.

1/1 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/2 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/3 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/4 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/5 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/6 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/7 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F NA 🌟, B x

But it is interesting to me that because I "failed" at the one bit sort of I actually almost completely failed with the evening stars. But what kept the teeth part going was the thought of all those icky nasty bits of food left in there which i see when I waterpik. And because that is pretty ingrained picking up the toothbrush was not difficult.

Happy Friday everyone!

Summer
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    1. This January I will increase hydration.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I will use lotion morning and evening and drink a cup of water before every meal in addition to my other water during the day.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: The lotion bottle will set by my chair and one in the bathroom, and I will fill my water cup before every meal.
    4. How often will you do your new habit - Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks reinforce the habit you are trying to build.) I will add a star.
    6. What help would you like from us? Dazzle me with your stars and I'll try to keep up!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? Smoother skin (I promise I will shave eventually)
  • nebslp
    Options
    I tried posting before but lost it (in more ways than one). I guess I'm done pouting over my new year's eve rejection (@SummerSkier). But I am feeling down in the dumps over recent news events (crazy news been an ongoing problem for way TOO long now), so I guess I should stop reading the news in the morning (and again in the afternoon).

My son was diagnosed with COVID yesterday and he is so careful about not going anywhere and wearing a mask. This is truly a mysterious disease. He was here when my daughter and her kids were here but we stayed outside for sledding so I'm sure we will be fine. He has mild symptoms so hopefully they will disappear soon.

So far in January my hydration plan is going well, but I will have to report on my ipad since it has way cooler icons than my computer. I don't have time to comment right now and so much is happening here. Later though. You're all doing so well and your goals are all really important ones. Have a great January <3
  • nebslp
    Options
    Hydration: January. M morning, A afternoon, N night
    1 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    2 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    3 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    4 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    5 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    6 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    7 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
    8 M🌟 A🌟 N🌟
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Well hopefully @nebslp your son's case will be mild. I get the over whelming ness of the news but I think of it as the final act in a long series of made for tv reality stuff which I am glad will finally be over and done with soon. Pretty sure of the 70 million who could not see the emperor was naked that only about 200K are probably totally insane. ;)

I like the hydration idea. But not so sure what you mean about the shaving? :p

SUmmeraboutreadytowrapitup
    1/1 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/2 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/3 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/4 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/5 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/6 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
    1/7 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F NA 🌟, B x
    1/8 = M 🌟, Noon 🌟, N 🌟 F 🌟, B 🌟
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @SummerSkier Nope, my Paper Tiger 🐯 is still a big tiger. But bit by bit it will become a tame, docile, but happy tiny little Tiger.
    Good for you for not letting your habit be an all or none kind of thing yesterday and lose your stars. When you didn't do one tiny part you jumped right in there and did the rest of it ⭐!! I have to watch that also, because I can tend to be all or nothing at times.
    I also love my waterpic 💗.

@nebslp Increasing your hydration sounds perfect for January! Then come summer you'll be ahead of the game! I also really like how your habit is hydration that includes both water and lotion. You are very smart doing it that way! I am going to latch on to yours for the lotion portion. Winter heat in the house is so destructive to my skin and I forget lotion waaay too often.

I am so sorry to read that your son was diagnosed with COVID 😢. I pray that it is very mild and that he recovers very quickly.

I'm cutting out all TV news for a while and also severely limiting my phone news to just once in the afternoon. As a rule I seldom start or end my day with news on my phone. But recently with all that is going on (again) I have been definitely ending my day 😧 looking at it. Doing that at night time is not good for me at all.

🤠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    🧩📚 = stuff
    💻📱 = digital

January 8: 📄📬 and 🌿🐯🌳 starting a little bit on one category of sentimental paper

Next week I will get back to the main paper projects. I just don't feel like it now but want to keep the momentum.

🤠🌺
  • 77tes
    Options
    @texasgardnr English Country Dance is a cousin of square dance (and Scottish, Irish, contra). It’s a bit more stately. It’s like the dancing they do in Jane Austen movies. Here’s a video of the last I attended before the lockdown. I’m dancing on the left side of the hall and am wearing a gray dress with a black Spenser jacket.
    https://youtu.be/s-CHFsSqhIc
  • 77tes
    Options
    @nebslp I’m sorry to hear that your son has COVID-19, my BIL just got finished with it, bu.t now my sister has it. 😥 Fortunately, both have had mild cases.
  • texasgardnr
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @77tes thank you for the explanation and the dance video. I really enjoyed watching it 💃🕺. Yes, The dances in Jane Austen movies are fascinating to watch, as was the video that you shared!
    That is good that your BIL and sister 😥 both had/have mild cases. But I am sorry that your family has been ill.

🧩📚 = stuff
    💻📱 = digital

January 8: 📄📬 and 🌿🐯🌳 starting a little bit on one category of sentimental paper
    January 9: 📬 and 🌿🐯🌳 paper that was hiding in a binder on bookshelf in bedroom .

🤠🌺
  • suefitnessaccount
    suefitnessaccount Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Week 2 weigh in : 14,6 - no change

It has been a tough week. I have really struggled with looking at the real numbers of calories that I am eating, even with trying to limit it. It makes me realise how easily I can eat 4,000-5,000 calories a day without even bingeing - then it goes really nuts.

I've maintained steps above 10,000 each day so that's a positive.

Week 3 habit is deliberately easy - I will drink no more than one alcoholic drink a week. This shouldn't be hard but over Christmas/New year I got into the habit of drinking daily so I want to avoid that.

However, this in addition to maintaining week 1 & 2 targets; week 2 is still a big struggle, even without setting a calorie limit.

Some great results from upthread - @77tes great result on reducing your carbs, @MadisonMolly2017 - sorry to hear about you having to reduce your walking ; hiking is so enjoyable. Texasgdnr - you seem to have the paper tiger on a leash, soon it will be a housecat. Summerskier - great consistency. Congrats to all others achieving their 'I will' and to all those struggling like myself, let's keep plodding on - habits take a while to embed.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @suefitnessaccount CONGRATS!!! That is huge that you got it done. And logging without judgement is extremely critical to our health (at least until we get things where we want to be longterm). When I first started logging it really made me aware of what things had a lot of calories which just weren't worth it! Like nuts for instance. I could eat an entire bag of pistachios. So knowledge is power.

@77tes I really enjoyed that video also. I love with this dancing and square how it is fun for ALL age groups. What a cool thing to learn to be a caller. Glad that your limiting carbs habit is getting easier also, That tracker uppage really brightens the conversation also.

@texasgardnr I dont know where all that paper comes from! It's like you turn around and it multiplies. But you just keep chipping away at it. The sentimental is of course for me the hardest. I did take a lot of photos of the certificates that I found in my Mom and Dads house but I still could not toss them. I mean I might need my Mom and Dad's marriage cert 1 day right? :/

@MadisonMolly2017 hope that your work on that deadline is almost complete and you can have a little bit more stressfree time for yourself. And maybe your hips will be starting to recover.

@nebslp how is your son doing? Daughter and family still ok? This virus really is nutz. You can be really really careful and still end up catching it. Maybe he will figure it out. How is the hydration coming along? I have given up on my fingers and heels and just started dosing them with nu skin daily due to cracks.. sigh. I definitely am not a hydration type of person so will be curious to see what benefits you get from this hebit.

It's pouring rain and 30's here this morning. I had already planned a rest day from running. Supposed to turn to snow later and get up to 3 inches altho it might accumulate just because of the blizzard nature of it but it will most likely all melt once it stops. And the last blizzard I can remember here was at Dairy Queen....

Summerwaitingimpatientlyforsummeragain
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to wish everyone a belated Happy New Year! <3

@nebslp, I'm sorry to hear your son has COVID. Hopefully, it's a mild case and he'll be feeling better before you know it.
  • nebslp
    Options
    I finished reading all previous posts and !WOW! There’s a lot going on here🙂

@pamelajmcnab Welcome to our happy little group😊 thank you for working through the stress and worries of COVID so you can teach those kids at school and help them get through this tough year. Stay well! You and I share a few goals actually. How is your water before meals coming along? Mornings for me have been easy because I paired that goal with reaching for my coffee cup. The others aren’t automatic yet. Keep it up and I’ll see if I can, too.

@SuperMotivated56 I hope you’re the right person....the 56 at the end threw me! Giving up chocolate and lollies is huge. Taking away all cereal is great unless it’s too much to change at one time. I can totally relate to doing well all day and then messing up in the evenings. Funny thing though.. since sugar not a problem for me, unlike fat, I actually decided if I was going to eat something and I had leftover calories I would have a bowl of cereal (crunchy) or sugar free fudgsicle (creamy) instead of the the old stand-by ice cream or chips when they’ve been brought in my house. We all have our own enemies, don’t we!?!

@Jomarunner You are so right! One day at a time is the only way to go😻

@77tes I LoVeD the dance video and it looked like so much fun! My dad’s cousin gave up square dancing this year but she still swims every day. She’s only 99 years young🙂. Keep on dancing!
    I also appreciated the James Clear quote, “Improvements are only temporary until they become part of who you are.” That’s why our beliefs about ourselves create our behavior and that, in turn, creates our lives. Such a good quote! Thank you for the reminder. Also good job on managing your carbs👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • nebslp
    Options
    Thank you for the good wishes for my son. He seems to have had a very mild case and is off quarantine soon. But his kids can’t go back to school until Jan 28th. It’s going to be a long month there😞

@MadisonMolly2017 I’m sorry your hip is giving you problems. Could it be bursitis that will go away with ice and rest? Hope so. Take care of yourself so you’ll be out walking those hills again soon.
    Your goal trigger is the BeST! Setting an alarm and dedicating a specific time to a task works! I’ve done it before and have no idea why I quit 🤷 Keep us posted on your projects. Also, that was a great tracker website you provided and will check it out again. Thank you.

@SummerSkier to explain... shaving is the summer activity that got put off until today. I really wanted to be a bear, but I have a wellness visit this week and didn’t want to scare to dr in case I have to strip down😬 There’s a poem about wanting to be a bear...I’ll have to find that (sorry, bird walk). “Log without judgment” might be the best phrase ever to remember. And since you actually look forward to running in the snow, I hope you get a little. Your lack of snow is the reason I go birding in TX almost every winter. Love Texas❣️

@amulya_05 Welcome! I have been working on meditating 10 minutes a day as well. How are you doing with that? I was excited to see my Fitbit charge 3 has a 10 min meditation on the sleep restoration part. It’s very relaxing. Do you have any favorite apps or sites that you use?

I’m not caught up yet! But I shall return...
  • nebslp
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @texasgardnr You said about the tiger taming process (paraphrased): .... I just don’t feel like it now but don’t want to lose the momentum.... That pretty much sums up the way a habit becomes a habit and not something we do just because it’s our focus for the month. You are unstoppable! And an inspiration to me when I get tired of the necessary repetition. How is your Amaryllis plant doing? Are you seeing any growth yet? Same question goes out to you @SummerSkier. I kept my poinsettia from last year alive and it’s blooming, not profusely, but I’m still excited. Today I thought about ordering seeds to start in the house. I think spring fever is starting to set in😂🙄

@znaoiec Have you learned some notes on your new keyboard? What an adventure! Slow and steady!
    And regarding the clutter goal...do you have a plan on how you can keep up with it? It’s a pretty universal goal, I think, so tips are always welcome😊

And last, but DEFinitely not least. You were actually the first! @themedalist It’s so good hearing from you. I hope things are more settled for you and your parents. Your daily notes will brighten their days and give them something to look forward to. I’m glad you’re actively joining us again.

I am changing my lotion hydration to twice a day, but will keep up with the water before meals, so fewer stars will be shining on my posts. My legs and feet are becoming silky smooth after 10 days so YAY! That’s reward enough😃

EDIT: I posted that and then read that it said I was doing an onion hydration!😲 so I thought I should edit😂🤣😂 🧅 😝