What are you reading?

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @bebeisfit It sounds interesting. If you like WWII and you haven't read it you would like Flight Girls, it was the best book I'd read in awhile.

I'm reading a Doidge novel about dragons, it's real slow, I don't really like it but I only have 10% left so I'll finish it. I was on the last of a trilogy and share my Kindle account with my Mom, she started the series and it kept wanting to change the location so I called her and it's because she was reading it too so I started the Doidge novel. One time she deleted a book when I was reading it on the exercise bike, I had no clue how I'd managed to do that and was relieved when I figured out what she did but wanted to know how the book ended!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @Luckee_me @trooworld I'm so glad I found it, do you recommend The Invisible Life of Addie Larue? I saw a Black Mirror episode on Netflix that made me think of it and couldn't remember the name, so glad I found it! I'll put it on waitlist but would love to know what you think!

I'm back to the series on Kindle by Lily Harper Hart, I like the last out of the three best, she combined characters from 3 or 4 different series in this trilogy which has been fun. It isn't the kind of book I'll remember for long but it is entertaining.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,884 Member
    Options
    @Katmary71 I haven't gotten to it yet, I am still listening to "American Dirt" and reading the urban fantasy novel. But I am very excited to read it! I've heard good things about it.

I watched an interview with the author of a new book, "The Lost Apothecary". It looks really good, I am definitely going to get it. Here is the link to the interview, if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEZXPPVXOdg
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    @Katmary71 I did read Flight Girls and really enjoyed it. There's another book about the girls who flew planes in WWII by Fannie Flagg. The All Girls Filling Station's Reunion.

I don't know why I enjoy WWII so much. I've probably read a dozen books or more set in that time period.

I really need to learn more about WWI. Any recommendations?
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I finished Louise Penny's "How the Light Gets In." I was really looking forward to it after finishing the previous book in the series, but I have to say I was disappointed. I'd probably rate it 3 out of 5 stars, although I'm really thinking 2.5.

The story seemed to drag on a lot more than usual, and I felt I was really being asked to suspend disbelief in a lot of instances. Also, I think I realized what annoys me about this series. It's only my opinion, but I find the author's "hero worship" of Armand Gamache to be very off-putting.

I'm sure I'll read or listen to another Louise Penny novel; something keeps me revisiting this series. But it's time for a break, I think.

Earlier this morning I started reading "Stranger In The Lake" by Kimberly Belle.
  • LondonParisTexas
    LondonParisTexas Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Finished Jefferson's Daughters.Loved it, was so interesting. Would love to exchange on it with anyone who is up for reading it.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    I started "The Promised Land" by Barack Obama

Really good so far. It's a long one tho.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @bebeisfit I can't think of any other WWII ones, I'm glad you liked Flight Girls!

I've put a bunch of books on hold through the library but am currently between novels so I started a Medical Medium book on the liver.
  • trooworld
    Options
    I finished American Dirt last night. Wow, that was really good. It really gave me a new perspective on something that I didn't know anything about. I listened to the audiobook and highly recommend it.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    I finished Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah (author of Firefly Lane - streaming on Netflix and The Great Alone).

I am so disappointed. It was a good story overall, but some of the writing and character development was just so-so. The ending was bad. I won't give spoilers, but it didn't add up.

It was a quick read, so there's that.

@trooworld - I will put American Dirt on my "Later" list.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @bebeisfit That's good to know about Magic Hour. I guess they can't all be hits, can they? At least it was a quick read. I hope you like American Dirt.

I started listening to The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner yesterday. It has an interesting premise: a female apothecary in the 1700s only serves women and these women use the concoctions she gives them to poison the men in their lives. A present-day woman finds one of the bottles when mudlarking in London and it becomes a bit of a mystery to find out who the bottle belonged to. So far, so good!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @trooworld I'm curious about American Dirt! The Lost Apothecary sounds good.

@bebeisfit I'm sorry to hear that about the Hannah Kristin, I'm hoping to read more of hers.

I read The Coast to Coast Murders by Patterson, it was good but not great. I'm between books and getting some from my brother tonight, I have a couple diet books that just became available through the library so I'll probably read Gregor's How Not to Diet today.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @Katmary71 Honestly, I don't want to overhype it, but I think it may be the best book I've read so far this year (I've read 8 books so far). I've heard good things about "How Not to Diet".
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @trooworld Wow, I'll have to place a hold on it then! Let me know if it ends well too!

How Not To Diet is on audio, I didn't realize it when I checked it out. I have a hard time listening to things, I prefer reading so I'll probably skip it unless I listen to it while gardening.

My mom told me about The Truth Machine the other night so I'm reading that now, it's pretty good so far. Have any of you read it?
  • trooworld
    Options
    @Katmary71 I don't want to spoil the ending but I'll just say it's an appropriate ending. Do give it a shot. It has some sad parts but not too many and they aren't terribly detailed as some books do. I have not heard of the Truth Machine, but I just looked it up and it has an interesting premise. Let us know what you think of the book, if it stays good. I'll put it on my TBR list.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @trooworld I'll add it to the list! I think I went a little crazy putting things on hold because now they're all becoming available and I'm feeling pressured to read like a maniac! The Obesity Code and Medical Medium just became available so I'm backed up a bit! Luckily my Mom forgot to give me a couple books so it's all on the Kindle, I can deny the book but I have about 30% of The Truth Machine left so I can catch up.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @Katmary71 I hate when that happens, when they all come in at once! I have some audiobooks on hold and I just know that's going to happen to me.
  • trooworld
    Options
    I finished "The Lost Apothecary". It was pretty good, I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend it if you are a fan of mysteries.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @trooworld Thank you, I'll check it out!

The Truth Machine was good but if you've read a lot of sci fi it's not anything earth-shattering. I'd group it as one of the "humans overdo it with technology and don't think of the consequences" books. You all read a lot so you know what I mean.

I'm reading Jackson Galaxy's (My Cat From Hell) book on Cat Mojo. I have The Obesity Code and Medical Medium up after this and still have How Not To Diet on Audio but it won't let me put it on 1/5 speed so I get bored listening.
  • trooworld
    Options
    I finished reading a graphic novel called "Adulthood is a myth". It was cute and a fast read. For audiobooks, I am listening to one with my husband, Stephen King's new one called "Later". I'm also listening to "The invisible life of Addie LaRue". I wish I had more time to read books, I'm still reading "Crossroads of bones" and want to know what happens, I'm about 70% through it.