What are you reading?

Options
Katmary71
Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
I just finished the 5th in an urban fantasy series, I'm either going to read the 6th or start Flight Girls.

Replies

• HappyIsBeautiful70
    Options
    I’m currently reading New Spring which is technically the first book in the wheel of time series even though it’s the last book written. This will complete my the series for me. I’m a little sad to have to say goodbye to Rand and Perrin. This series is amazing!
  • CrazyComicLady
    CrazyComicLady Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I’m reading the final Star Trek voyager book in the series. It’s a bit slow, I did give in and read the last page so I know there’s a wedding at the end ^_^
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I just finished Louise Penny's "All the Devils Are Here" and started "The Summer Retreat" by Sheila Roberts. I'm not sure I'll be continuing with the Roberts book though; it's annoying me.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @CrazyComicLady

I have to admit I often peek at the end of a book.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I started the year with several really good books.
    Me by Elton John - so many drugs!!!
    The Secrets we Kept by Lara Prescott - about female spies during the cold war - 1950's
    Ask Again Yes by Mary Beth Keane - Two families who live next door to each other who experience a terrible tragedy. spanning several decades

I'm having trouble finding something new - I started Fleishman is in Trouble - just not that interesting to me.
    I also started the Book of Longings - story of Jesus' wife - great concept, but hard to get into and I only have 3 days left from the library.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @bebeisfit

My sister was such a fan of Elton John! I may have to try this at some point.

Earlier this morning I started reading "Once You Go This Far" by Kristen Lepionka. I'm not that far into it, but I'm definitely enjoying it.

• LondonParisTexas
    LondonParisTexas Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Vigil The Night Before Christmas, didn't finish it over The holidays.It's very hard going!
  • LondonParisTexas
    Options
    Blasted spell check its by Gogol !
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,887 Member
    Options
    @bebeisfit I started Fleishman is in Trouble too and it didn't grab me either. I gave up.

I tend to read a lot of books at once in both audiobook and ebook versions. Here is my current reading list:

The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum (AUDIOBOOK)
    The City We Became (Great Cities #1) by N.K. Jemisin (AUDIOBOOK, listening with my hubby)
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (PAPERBACK)
    The Beck Diet Solution by Judith S. Beck (EBOOK)
    The Beck Diet Solution Workbook by Judith S. Beck (EBOOK)
    Anxious People by Fredrik Backman (EBOOK)

My favorite of these so far has been The City We Became. The premise is hard to explain, though.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    I'm reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Fascinating book about 2 Chinese girls..I'm not sure of the time period. But foot binding is common. And these girls had the feet bound at the age of 7. Yikes! Arranged marriages are common as well.

Lisa See is the author and I read one of her other books.. Tea Girl on Hummingbird Lane all about the tea trade and life in a remote part of China.

I really enjoy books that explore different cultures and their rituals.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @bebeisfit I like those kinds of books, too. I feel like I learn something new.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    trooworld wrote: »
    @bebeisfit I like those kinds of books, too. I feel like I learn something new.

Right? I had no idea of the Chinese culture. I have definitely learned a lot.

I also enjoy, though sometimes its hard to read, the tragic stories of people of color in the U.S. Mudbound, the Underground Railroad, A Lesson Before Dying and an American Marriage all come to mind. I cried a lot while reading these books.
  • LondonParisTexas
    Options
    Sorry put this post in favourite books! So I finished Gogol's Night Before Christmas. I'm glad I persevered it's a very interesting
    Russian folklore type story. Can't say I'd rush to read it again but as I say interesting . Started
    Jefferson's Daughters by Catherine Kerrison. I am a great fan of Jefferson so looking forward to this!
  • trooworld
    Options
    @bebeisfit I really enjoyed American Marriage. I have a really hard time with books that people suffer or are hurt in so I don't tend to read them very often. I've been wanting to read the Underground Railroad but just can't do it yet.
  • PKM0515
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I just finished "A Beautiful Mystery" by Louise Penny yesterday evening. It left on a personal cliff-hanger, so I quickly got (and started) "All the Light We Cannot See" (the next book in the series) from the library. Thank goodness for digital options!

I always find Louise Penny's books entertaining. There are usually a few things I'm not happy with re characterizations, but I put them aside.

"A Beautiful Mystery" was sadder than most of her books, imo, but some of the writing really touched me. Some of her phrases really hit home (words you feel you should copy down and reflect upon later).
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Oh man, my mom stopped by with a bunch of books but I want to read the ones you're all recommending! I just finished Patrick Taylor's about small town doctors in Ireland then started James Patterson 19th Christmas women's mystery club novel.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @Katmary71

You've definitely piqued my interest in the Patrick Taylor books!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Just realized I messed up the title of my current book. It's "How the Light Gets In" (wrong title, right author). 😳
  • LondonParisTexas
    Options
    Yes because All the light we cannot see is Anthony Doerr. It is a wonderful story of a friendship between a blind French girl and a German soldier (both very young) during WWII.