This June I Will...

Options
SummerSkier
SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
edited June 2021 in Social Groups
uoo8b5j9ulkp.jpg

Welcome, Summer of 2021!

It sure seems like this summer will be much better than the summer of 2020. Thanks to the vaccines and EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO MADE THEM POSSIBLE FOR US, life is slowly but steadily returning to normal. Most of us can look forward to get togethers, travel, potlucks and BBQs, dining out, picnics, swimming, and all the other summer staples we will not take for granted again.

So what’s on your to do list this summer? What would you like to accomplish in June? What healthy habit would you like to create or continue to work on? We are here to support you every step of the way!

We highly recommend habit stacking as a great way to build a new healthy habit. Simply attach the habit you want to create to a habit you already have using this structure:

AFTER I ________________________

I WILL __________________________

EXAMPLES:
After I brush my teeth, I will floss one tooth.
After I drink my afternoon coffee, I will put on my walking shoes.
After I put away my breakfast dishes, I will prep 3 servings of vegetables for the day.
After I clean up after dinner, I will plan tomorrow’s dinner & move necessary items from freezer to refrigerator.
After I weigh myself in the morning, I will drink 2 cups of refreshing, cool water.
After I start my coffee brewing, I will stand on each leg for 30 seconds.

NEWCOMERS:
Are you new to our group? If so, welcome! Please post what you will be working on and how we can help! Set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on. Habits are built by doing, not by reading about what other people are doing. Post your progress, questions, and frustrations and let us help you succeed.

Let’s make this a great month!

@themedalist (Denise)🌷@MadisonMolly2017 (Maddie) 🌸
Co-leaders

Replies

• SummerSkier
    Options
    In May I changed up my WOE in order to influence my health markers. I was quite successful on the blood pressure front and we shall see later this month as far as blood work goes.

For June I want to continue working on this WOE and focus on tailoring it to my energy needs.
    To me maintenance has drifted more and more away from the scale (altho my clothes and such are still the same) and more towards strength and health and energy. This is almost 4 years in and my focus changes sometimes of course. In mid June we also go back to the office physically so that will be another change and I am going to have to understand how that will effect meal prep and workout and sleep.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA for a bit, but I'm going to jump back in for June. And my habit will be...make sure to take my medicine daily! I thought I had this ingrained, but I've slipped the last couple of weeks.

Starting TODAY:

After breakfast, I'll take my morning meds.
    After dinner, I'll take my evening meds. (If I'm eating out, I'll take them as soon as I get home.)

I do fill a weekly pill box, and it's on the kitchen table, so there shouldn't be any excuses. 😒

I need to decide about a tracker, a reward, and a posting frequency (I'm thinking once a week, but I may try to do it daily for a bit).

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

• tryingtoloveme97
    tryingtoloveme97 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new, but I know I have a lot of habits to change/replace/create and I think here would be a good start! I'm going to choose this from the examples, because I weigh in every morning.

After I weigh myself in the morning, I will drink 2 cups of refreshing, cool water.

STATS:
    HEIGHT: 5'5
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    As I don't want to have two concurrent challenges this summer and there seems to be a preference for just a month long challenge, I'm removing the summer challenge in favor of this one. We can certainly keep with our monthly focus.
  • themedalist
    Options
    My focus this summer will be on improving my balance. My balance is getting worse and I see it as the part of my health that is most in need of attention. I always walk with my walking stick when I'm walking outdoors and on so many occasions the stick has saved me from falling.

I know that there are lots of balance exercises available, but I'm not ready to start doing that yet. I want to think more broadly about it right now. I may decide to go back to the physical therapist I saw who helped me recover from hip surgery.

Better balance will be my summer focus!
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Just to restate my thoughts for the month of June and now it looks so strange to see Maddie and Denise signing their names to my post... LOL.. ***awkward*** I was fine with having a longer habit (summertime) as well as the monthly.

For June I have noticed the trend that a lot of folks are getting busier and doing more traveling and visiting with family and friends. Also more eating out.
    It seems like with the Pandemic in 2020 we saw a lot of folks who's routines and habits were thrown into the dust. Of course we all developed new habits to cope. Now the opposite is true.

What new habits will you need to form to cope with the end of the Pandemic? What small changes do you want to make in June?
  • themedalist
    Options
    Just to restate my thoughts for the month of June and now it looks so strange to see Maddie and Denise signing their names to my post... LOL.. ***awkward*** I was fine with having a longer habit (summertime) as well as the monthly.

For June I have noticed the trend that a lot of folks are getting busier and doing more traveling and visiting with family and friends. Also more eating out.
    It seems like with the Pandemic in 2020 we saw a lot of folks who's routines and habits were thrown into the dust. Of course we all developed new habits to cope. Now the opposite is true.

What new habits will you need to form to cope with the end of the Pandemic? What small changes do you want to make in June?

I get it, @SummerSkier. I tried to change authorship of the post to me as I should be able to do that, but it gave me a permissions error. As I don't want to lose your post or the other two that came after you, I think we just need to accept the mismatch for this month. I will post a July and August challenge. I really am perfectly fine with sticking with our monthly focus, but I don't want to have two concurrent challenges that are very similar.
  • PKM0515
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @tryingtoloveme97

Welcome! The water is a great idea! I need to do this too. I've been trying "unofficially" for a while, but maybe next month I'll challenge myself "officially."

@themedalist

I know you said you aren't ready to start anything yet, but I'll recommend Tai Chi for the balance issues. Perhaps down the road you'll be ready to give it a try.

I have had MULTIPLE foot/ankle/leg breaks over the years. The last time I broke my left foot and had a spiral fracture of the right fibula (yes, I managed to do both at once -- twice). Some time later I started taking Tai Chi, and I really felt it helped with my balance; plus it was fun/relaxing. I had to stop for various reasons, but I've been hoping to find another class to join.

@SummerSkier

Thanks for starting this thread!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Take your meds!

6/2/21 - 🌟
  • themedalist
    Options
    @PKM0515, thank you for the Tai Chi suggestion! That's a great idea. I think I'll focus on trying that for a few weeks and see how it goes. Do you have any suggested links for a beginner?

Remembering to take your meds by tying it to your meals makes sense. Congrats on Day 1!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @tryingtoloveme97, welcome to our group! We are glad you are here. Good water goal for this month!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,757 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great suggestion @PKM0515 about Tai Chi. I could use to work on my balance as well. I actually had an episode of vertigo yesterday and had to sit down on the grass in the middle of my group workout. Although, my inner ear issue isn’t really about balance, working on improving my balance over all certainly won’t hurt. So your discussion inspires me for my June habit.

So here goes:

AFTER I go to my yoga mat each evening, I will do tree pose on each leg before I begin my yoga routine for the day.

June 1 🌲 - fortunately, I did tree pose in the morning before my episode of vertigo.
  • SummerSkier
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Oh my. That’s it! ✅👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 For June we are all going to practice the tree pose. Balance is awful in my family also. I literally have to hold onto something at first when I do that. It’s partially why I’m scared of heights.

I had my first morning in at work today. I had to attend a meeting with a new customer. I have to say that I am still not a fan of meetings and sitting in a room with 14 strangers for an hour even though we were all masked got my blood pressure back up. Sadly.

June 1. ✅
    June 2. ❌ 🌴

I guess that goes to show that you can control some things with diet exercise and what you eat but somethings you can’t. I will keep on it though
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    @tryingtoloveme97
    Welcome! I think water is a wonderful place to start. It has SO many benefits; both for weight loss and overall health!
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I started off strong and then after lunch got really sick...I'm guessing it was some form of mild food poisoning. :s

My day took a turn and my habit tracker took a hit.
    I definitely fell victim to that "poor me, I'm sick, I should be able to eat what I want" mentality.

It's okay though...the month is young and I am back at it again today...already did my extra walking!
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @angelic843 I totally get that the day is hosed so it doesn't matter thought. I am glad to see you back and feeling better today!

@77tes I cannot wait to see your tracker for the month. Yours are always So artistic and lovely to look at. YIKES on having to sit down due to dizzyness tho. :(

@texasgardnr will you join us for this month again? Miss your posts.

@nebslp I am sorry your original post (and one other ?) got deleted? Maybe Denise can work her magic and reinstate those ones which were in the deleted thread?

it is STILL raining and flooding and everything else here. It's nutz. I wanted to go to bed early last night but there was a monster storm line headed straight towards us with a lot of high straight line winds and I worry about my Martin colony so I couldn't get to sleep until that went thru. No damage luckily.

@PKM0515 sometimes I have to go back and revisit my previous habits also. That's part of my stress this month is going back into the office and having to change up my lifestyle again. Keeping it simple and basic is always good.

@themedalist it seems to me that going back to the PT who helped you in the past is a great start. Balance is so critical to us.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I’m so excited that there’s a number of us who want to Tai Chi and focus on balance this month. I agree with you, @SummerSkier balance is critically important. My hesitation with going back to my PT is simply the cost. I have a large deductible so those visits will all be out of pocket. Still, I like returning to someone I know who knows me.

I am scrambling to get ready for a early morning flight to Minnesota tomorrow. My first post pandemic trip! A memorial service but also a family get together. I’ll check in when I return next week.
  • 77tes
    Options
    @tryingtoloveme97 , drinking water is a great goal, especially in the summertime. How’s it going?

@SummerSkier , in-person meetings would raise my anxiety level, too. (To be honest I’ve never been a meeting fan - generally a huge waste of time).

@angelic843 , hope you feel better real soon. I always seem to gain when I’m not feeling well - I eat hoping that this or that food will help me feel better. Not a great plan. 🤣

@themedalist , have a wonderful trip, enjoying the freedom. Sorry that it is a memorial, but it’s important to grieve and remember the good times and it will be so nice to catch up with family.

June 1🌲
    June 2 🌲
    June 3 🌲
  • 77tes
    Options
    @themedalist here is a tai chi video I’ve enjoyed. It might be ago I’d place to start.
    https://youtu.be/cEOS2zoyQw4
  • tryingtoloveme97
    tryingtoloveme97 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    @77tes

It’s not going great, as I don’t like super cold drinks first thing in the morning