This June I Will...

Options

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier congrats on your maintenance for such a long time! Good luck with the blood work up. Keep us posted!

@PKM0515 Great job on the meds! You have a good streak going.

@MadisonMolly2017 Keeping weights in various places throughout the house would definitely be a good reminder of your habit and make it easier to do when you have a few minutes.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    "Instead of feeling that you’ve blown the day and thinking, "I'll get back on track tomorrow," try thinking of each day as a set of four quarters: morning, midday, afternoon, evening. If you blow one quarter, you get back on track for the next quarter.

Fail small, not big."

that's awesome! Usually my fails are late in the evening so it is THE NEXT day back on track but this is a really good idea. We always think in terms of milestones but starting NOW is never a bad idea.
  • SummerSkier
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Ug,,,, I was having trouble sleeping last night so I got up around midnight and was binge watching Manifest on tv. I happened to look up and on my living room vaulted ceiling looked to be a bug. So of course I turned on the light and sure enough one of those HUGE tree things (I can't even say the name) was way up on the ceiling. Stupid cats are supposed to notify me when one of these gets in and I had JUST treated around the house with boric acid powder. sigh.

So, this has nothing to do with habits.

Anyway. I am quite proud of myself for figuring out how to take care of this problem. I got my new long handled tree trimmer and screwed on 2 more poles. Got my ladder out and managed to get it off the ceiling. Ug. It was a FLYER too.... OMG :#:# Luckily It went right onto the wall where I could Raid it. That sucker took half a can. And then of course I got the garage shop vac in and took care of that. I hate spraying Raid in the house but this was an emergency!

And of course I could NOT go back to sleep for hours and hours and still keep checking ceilings and walls.

This is my worst nightmare scenario.

Ok I just read about the shooting in downtown Austin last night. Well yall know where I was but seriously..

SummerinTx. LookwhattherainsbroughtohGREAT

PS I think they are having the same troubles at work because they mentioned needing pest control on our manager call last week. I hope that is the last one I see for a lONG LONG time.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    😲🪳 😬 @SummerSkier You might have to teach your kitties how to use binoculars to spot those things on the ceiling! It’s been a few years now, but once in awhile we would get wood roaches because we have so many trees. They are about 3 inches long and fly and almost ALWAYs came in pairs so you could never rest until you found the second one. Now I’m scanning the ceiling! Ugh! Tis the season…
    ?😷 your new sleep mask?😂
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    So sorry @sumnerskier (& @nebslp)

We don’t have roaches but we have a persistent outdoor rat issue in our arbor. We’ve almost got it licked. Funny I never use RAUD but thought if spraying it where we’ve poked up into wisteria to dislodge nest…to hopefully make “ratty” move along…
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Well this morning's antics. Thought I would sleep in but someone was making a fuss in the dining room. I thought at first it was Lil Bit who normally will attempt box murder to awake me but then realized she was in bed with me, hmmm.. So I got my butt up and flipped on the lights to find Hai Hai carrying around her prize - a very huge and possibly pregnant ghekko lizard (well maybe 6 inches). Normally we only get babies in the house. Anyway, she was TOTALLY indignant when I made her drop it and locked her up in the bedroom. The ghekko was frozen in terror still of course and I wasn't sure it was alive but I scooped it up (yes it WAS alive) into a paper cup and put it outside. WHEW! Those are worth rescueing. Poor Hai Hai tho. She is STILL indignant..

I can remember years ago we had a baby snake one of the cats was chasing around the house early in the morning which we rescued. I guess it's been so wet that a lot of things are trying to get in... A friend of mine got really badly sick and almost died from West Nile so even tho it is HOT and HUMID I have been wearing long sleeves at the barn and literally melting...
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Okay, all this bug talk is freaking me out! (I'm happy the ghekko was rescued though.)

Meds, Days 1-11 = ⭐

What happened to 12? Or are you still freaking out. LOL...
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I made it back from my trip to Minnesota. Had a great time seeing family including two cousins I hadn’t seen in decades.

I just read through your most recent posts and Wow…great goals and progress in June! For me, not so much. And that’s OK. I want improving my balance to be a summer goal and it still is. But right now, my focus needs to be elsewhere.

I need to help my parents more. For those of you who don’t know, my dad had a catastrophic stroke two years ago and is paralyzed on his left side. Both my parents live in a retirement community…my dad needs nursing care and my mom is in assisted living. They need my help and they need my time this summer and they will get it. We are also transitioning back to work and that’s also stressful. I don’t want to add any more stress than I already have. So I’ll continue with my eating and exercise habits (exercise is such a great stress reducer) and work in the balance training as I can.

I will add the July and August “I will” threads when the time comes and try to check in with you weekly. I am really proud of the progress you are making!

<3 Denise
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to share with you the coolest app that I’ve discovered recently. As many of you know, I use my treadmill daily. I couldn’t be without it…. I read books on it, answer emails, watch videos, and do lots of other things. And now I’m walking through Bordeaux, France and you can too!

If you exercise using a treadmill, elliptical, or bike and wish you could make it more interesting, check this out. BitGym offer a stunningly gorgeous immersive tours to make cardio workouts much more engaging! Smooth beautiful tours with the pace set by the user. When I stop, it stops when I walk faster, the tour speeds up. BitGym offers both a free plan (8 tours) and a premium subscription (more than 200 tours) and a great mix of both urban and rural landscapes and waterways. I checked out the free tours and then quickly subscribed! I’m completely hooked!

I know that virtual walking isn’t the same, but there are no travel expenses, bugs, I don’t risk falling, and I get to explore all kinds of beautiful places. If you regularly use cardio equipment, it’s definitely worth checking out.

Here’s a screenshot from Bordeaux:

9t9nuzu4comi.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @themedalist Great to hear from you & thanks for sharing “BitGym”!!

I’m thrilled you had a gratifying trip & saw some relatives you haven’t seen in awhile!

It looks like I can do July & August “I Will” posts after all, as schedules have changed here, so please focus on your dear folks & your health.

With hugs,
    Maddie 🌸
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Golf ⛳️ ball rolls - bottom of foot 7/7
    Ultravolt massager: hip, glute, quad, hamstring, calf 7/7/

upper body reps
    6/7 10
    6/8 10
    6/9 10
    6/10 95
    6/11 25
    6/12 30
    6/13 20 dresser push ups (2 repeated sets!) + more later…

Week 1: 7/7 Success❣️
    Actually feels like a habit - took my typical 3 days…wish I’d done it a year ago! 🤣

The key was finally paying attention to the entire fitness recommendations which heavily recommend at least two strength trading workouts per week (and definitely for older adults.)

Ok, GO baby steps!!!!

How are your new habits going?!

Happy Sunday!
    Maddie 🌸
    PS no roaches, snakes, geckos here, but we spent s fortune on roof rats…and have persistently tried to get wood (?) rat out of our arbor. Traps are reset, I will hire a professional if we can’t get rid of it as we rejuvenated that area with seating & ferns/flowers & I WANT to USE IT!!

Getting quotes now for termites. I’m cringing as I know it will be expensive as Will repairs, but it’s time.

I guess each habitat has its own “pests.”
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Okay, all this bug talk is freaking me out! (I'm happy the ghekko was rescued though.)

Meds, Days 1-11 = ⭐

What happened to 12? Or are you still freaking out. LOL...

Lol, I didn't decide to start until June 2, so today is Day 12 for me -- and we're good! 🌟 😉
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 great insight from From James Clear’s newsletter and the Special Health Report from Harvard Medical School. So much good information and food for thought. Thank you for sharing them with us.

That is great progress on your new strength habit, and I like how you have weights placed in other areas of you home to encourage the habit.

I am so sorry about the different rats 😬. I do hope that is resolved very soon for you. Hugs 💗. I guess I ought to have a bit of gratitude for the several feral cats in the area.

@SummerSkier good for you 👍👏 for the good medical reports and having stability in the weigh-in at the doctors as recorded in 2019, as well as the weight loss since the much earlier doctor visit. . . Those numbers are indeed a testimony in how you are listening to your body, and paying attention and tweaking your maintenance strategies over the years. Excellent work indeed! You ought to be very happy and proud of your efforts.

Oh, my goodness! Your Big Bug story..... yes, those tree bugs and other such critters (both flying and creepy walkers/crawlers) are definitely Texas Sized. And just in case anyone is curious...

'Texas Sized 🦟🕷🐛🦂' bugs are waaaay bigger than a 'Large' or even 'Super Sized' bugs 😱😲.

When I used to live in Florida near the ocean, a lifetime ago, we had an opposite problem. Some of the biting bugs were microscopic. My co-workers told me that they were called "sandflies" or more often, simply "no-see'ums" . We even had sprays that we sprayed on the screens that helped prevent these teeny tiny insects from coming through the window screens... ugggg 😖

@themedalist I'm glad that you had a great trip to Minnesota visiting your family. It definitely sounds like you have a good plan to do what you need to do for your folks and also make sure that you keep your own stress levels down by keeping up what you normally do habitually for your health. That is a good idea to add in the balance work only when it fits into your schedule. Hugs to you 💗💐.
    Thanks for the information about the app that you use while on the treadmill. The screen shot is very beautiful. What a good idea!

@PKM0515 You are doing awesome taking you meds!!

I have been getting to sleep more often at an earlier time again. According to the calendar almost 50% of the time. I've stopped watching/ listening mindlessly on YouTube or apps at night, and in fact I recently unsubscribed from a few channels that were fun but definitely time waster magnets. Being unsubscribed means that it is not so easy to mindlessly start watching. So I can now plan to watch or listen when exercising or cleaning or when when I want to but not just randomly. It takes longer to do a quick search after I have chosen a good time to watch/listen, but that gives me time to make sure of the decision.

Ok, tonight it is later because I had some interruptions but I wanted to finish this post, and not lose what I had written already.

Good night y'all 😴⏰

🤠🌺
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Still on a good streak with the meds...

Happy Tuesday, Everyone! Good luck with your goals! 🌞
  • pamelar25
    pamelar25 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So on my days off this week I have managed to get my water in and do my yoga for 15 mins today but didn't get outside. Tomorrow is a new day I I plan on doing all 3 things wish me luck and thanks to all for your support.

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    So on my days off this week I have managed to get my water in and do my yoga for 15 mins today but didn't get outside. Tomorrow is a new day I I plan on doing all 3 things wish me luck and thanks to all for your support.

Congratulations on your water & yoga!!
    Baby steps!!
    Have fun tomorrow also getting outside!!

💪🏻🍀👍
  • PKM0515
    Options

You're doing a great job! Both the water and the yoga are good habits to develop. 🌞
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, sorry I've been MIA.
    Since returning from the beach I have been adjusting to my workload for the summer school program I am helping with and haven't had much time to hop online.

Hopefully things will level out tomorrow and I can respond to some posts.

Angela
  • pamelar25
    pamelar25 Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I went on a 30 min walk today and it was beautiful ❤️ My mom came with so we took our time and walked a mile. The weather was so nice here. I did my 15 mins of yoga and held the tree pose for 1 min. on left then right leg twice for each. I had an Amazing day. Hope everyone's tomorrow is great.