What are you reading

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,801 Member
    I have been listening to a series by a new to me author. I found them on the library site that I forget about.
    Silverton Lake Romance
    ALL IN GOOD TIME by Diana Lesire Brandmeyer (rom)
    A TIME TO DANCE by Diana Lesire Brandmeyer
    A TIME TO BAKE by Diana Lesire Brandmeyer (rom)
    A TIME TO HEAL by Diana Lesire Brandmeyer (rom) - current.

They are pretty good and tick off several of the different challenges I am doing. I am doing 4 different 12 month challenges and a 50 book challenge plus reading through the states. I am using them for whatever month and using wherever they fit into the different challenges...just not more than once per challenge.

I am reading HIS SEVENTH STOP by Liz Isaacson - her newest.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 265 Member
    I just read the best book, THE CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT by Phyllis Clark Nichols. 5+*

My thoughts: A CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT is a poignant, coming-of-age story that begins with the passing of 10-year-old Kate's Mama from cancer, then becomes about family love, support, faith, and kindness. It spans the months from the mother's death in September through December and is a true Christmas story.

I love the realism, struggles, and heartwarming aspect of this book. There were times when I smiled through tears, but this story is not a downer. Anything but, in fact! I loved young Kate and her family, her girlfriend Laramie, and the symbolism of a cardinal. And I loved the grown-up Kate, who worked with grieving children, and the mysterious Mr. Josh who appeared when children were in need. There's a wonderfully fulfilling epilogue at the end. Very highly recommended.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,537 Member
    That sounds interesting, Carole. I found it on Hoopla, so will listen to that when I get done with the three or four others I have on there! LOL!

I've started TRACKING HIDDEN TREASURE by Lisa Phillips and so far it is very good. I have TRUST THE STARS and EXPLOSIVE TRUTH checked out on Hoopla too.

Still reading TROUBLE BREWING by Heather Day Gilbert. This isn't as good as the others in the series.

Still working on CORSAIR'S CURSE. I'm not getting into this like I did the series this spawned from. There are four main characters and it's hard for me to keep them all straight.

I'm also working on two re-reads. I'm on the third book in one and the first in the other - both fantasies.
  • connierandel
    I loved all the Phyllis Clark Nichols books that I have read. I read that one a few years ago.

I just finished HIS SEVENTH STOP by Liz Isaacson (rom). I didn't enjoy it quite as much as most of her others. I really think part of it was my distraction...but I don't distract easily from a really good book.

I am listening to NECESSARY PERIL by Lynn Shannon (susp). I will probably finish it tonight.

I have so many library books checked out right now. It's been a long time since there have been so many books that grabbed my interest and were available at the same time. I need to get busy! I hadn't checked the cloud library application in months and they have a ton of new books. Right now they have over 9000 CF books listed. A lot are audio, but I checked out a couple hard to find Ebooks, too. It barely works with text to voice, but it is doable....and I can read it if I get tired of messing with it.
  • Restfinder
    I Googled the Cloud Library App, but my library wasn't on it. There were just three libraries in NC!

Still working on the same books.
  • connierandel
    Kim - with us, Cloud Library is offered through the State Library of Kansas. I haven't used them a lot in recent months because of the other libraries having such great assortments. The best thing about them is that they are so responsive to purchasing requested books. I used to pull up to be released books and request books before publishing dates, so they usually bought them as soon as they were released.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,735 Member
    edited January 15
    Still reading THE INN ON HANGING HILL by Christy Barritt
  • Restfinder
    I wish NC did that. I had a card from the State Library but it was just a research library, so I let it lapse. They turned off the request section for our library so I can't even do that anymore. Mostly I use Hoopla or Amazon.

I was so surprised to find a cuss word in one of my re-reads. Oh well, maybe that is why I don't really remember this one! LOL!
    I finished EXPLOSIVE TRUTH by Laura Scott, very good.
    Also finished TRACKING STOLEN TREASURES by Lisa Phillips, also very good.
    Reading the biography of John Williams by the Benges. He was a missionary to New Zealand, I believe.
    Still working on CORSAIR'S CURSE a fantasy. Not as good as the original series.
  • pianolady831
    Is Overdrive (Tennessee R.E.A.D.S.) the same thing as Cloud Library? Probably not, but just wondered.
  • Restfinder
    Overdrive is what I use through my library. When I checked Cloud Library out, it was through the library too, but my library wasn't on the list for my state. Libby is also through my library, but I have found that I get more books through Hoopla (also use my library card) than from my library or Libby.

I found a site called Open Library that you can get free e-reads from. Do you know anything about that site, Connie?

I'm still working on the same books. I did start book two in the Finnegan series.
  • connierandel
    edited January 17
    Kim - Open Library is just a small part of the Internet Archives site. They have a lot of cool stuff, from old product manuals to old TV shows to just about anything you can think of. Its really cool to browse and see everything there. There are more than just Open Book that have older books. I've used them quite a bit, especially when I am trying to find something no longer on Amazon for a book from a certain state, etc. Cindy is the one that told me about it. I usually use the text-to-voice option they offer.

Currently, I am reading HAVOC by Ronie Kendig. It is the first book win her new series and on KU. It is a military K9 book, and intense as her books usually are. There has been some slang and alludes to cursing, but not real cursing. I don't know if you would be able to read it, Kim, but oh wow, it is really good! I have CHAOS checked out in audio.
  • Restfinder
    I actually have Havoc! I got it in Oct last year. I often find "cursing aloud..." or "he swallowed the curse word..." in stories. Sometimes they used to put the first letter up and then dashes - you know what it is but they just didn't want to put it in. Slang bugs me, but it's better than cussing.

I'll go and check that out and see what I can find. I used to use Librovox when I wanted to read a classic.

I'm really enjoying the second book in the Finnegan series, although the romance happened way too fast and now they are trying to put on the brakes or keep things from happening at all. Almost done with my missionary biography. These missionaries are in the Polynesian Islands with head hunters and cannibals - eek! They tried to land on one island and the natives tried to drag the women into the forest and kill the men. They were able to get back to their ship safely. This happened a couple of times. They eventually sent Polynesian men who knew the Lord to go to these islands. They were able to reach thousands for Jesus. So strange though, they went through the London Missionary Society and they wouldn't let them have a ship, they wanted them to stay on that one island of about 900 people. Goforth wasn't going to let that stand, so he built a ship so that he could get from one island to another and reach more people. So interesting.
  • connierandel
    I am now listening to CHAOS. I'm not too far into it. It will be good, though. I already know that!

I am reading A GREEN AND VIBRANT HOPE by Valerie Comer.

I am trying to get through several reading challenges, I usually can finish the challenges plus all 50 states by the end of February, but I don't know if I will get through everything this year...just a bit more going on. One good thing is that if I read a book for one challenge, it will usually fit somewhere into at least one more challenge, and a state. I will be asking for recommendations for some states and books on Avid Readers of Christian fiction on facebook. Right now I am getting through them fairly well.

Any ideas on a book with pirates, though?
  • pianolady831
    Connie, there's an author who used to write some buccaneer/pirate type of stories and I can't think of her name. Seems like one of her books had "Charles Towne" in the title. Oh! It was MaryLu Tyndall.

Christian Fiction Devourers on Goodreads has a good variety of challenges, many of which look like fun, but I decided just to purely read for pleasure, whatever appeals at the moment. I find that I'm enjoying that a lot more.
  • cmsienk
    edited January 18
    I just downloaded this through KU the other day... haven't read it yet, but could it work for you?
    xknz0ffvgd8e.jpg
  • Restfinder
    edited January 18
    I have that one and another one by her, IN A PIRATE'S DEBT, that I really liked, Cindy! I also have several of Mary Lu Tyndall's books, they are a bit more steamy but not explicit. I really liked Molly Evangeline which are older but have a stronger Christian theme in them.

I finished the second Finnegan book and will start the third. I bet there is a series with their cousins the Calehans (sp?) in it. I didn't see any when I looked up this author, but they are quite prevalent in the stories.

Still working on my biography and a re-read.
  • cmsienk
    edited January 19
    I finished THE INN ON HANGING HILL and the next one - THE HOUSE ON DAGGER POINT. I came home from NC with a cold. Right now I'm snuggled in bed, reading THE BUNGALOW ON SHADOW ROAD. All by Christy Barritt
  • Restfinder
    I have to wait until next month to read the third book in the Finnegan series - I ran out of borrows! I have John Williams almost finished and will go to John Wesley after that. John Williams is the one who went to Polynesia. I'm really enjoying listening to these biographies.

I'm hunting and pecking right now in my reading, jumping around to find one that grabs me.
  • connierandel
    I am listening to ON MOONBERRY LAKE by Holly Varni (small town). I heard this was very good and checked it out on everand (scribd). I thought it was something totally different than it actually is. It is a small town novel with some real characters! I have gotten a real kick out of it. A 30ish single lady inherits a lodge and is trying to find some of the family history involved while having it rehabed. I have laughed so hard in places...oh my! She just got sprayed by a skunk.
  • cmsienk
    Sounds interesting. Was that pirate book something that could help?