What are you reading

Options

Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,373 Member
    Options
    No, it's not Ted Dekker creepy.

I pray your lungs heal completely very soon. That cough I had lingered for a while, but about 2 days ago it broke and I've been able to get decent sleep
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,346 Member
    Options
    Praise the Lord, Cindy! I'm so glad.

My cough right now is deeper and more productive than the cough I had when I had pneumonia, so I am hoping that the debris of pneumonia is clearing out and that it isn't something new trying to take hold! God knows! So grateful for that!
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Praying for both of you ladies!

Creston Mapes has been totally clean in all of the books I have read by him. They are not creepy, just suspenseful. I AM IN HERE is a book totally different than his others. It is very intense and very impactful, but sad.

Currently I am reading A HEART THAT YEARNS by Laura L Walker (Georgia Peaches #8) -I had several of the series and decided to go ahead and start reading what I have. They are not in order, but they are stand-alone, so it doesn't make a difference.

I am listening to TRUST THE STARS by Tricia Goyer (split-time). This is her newest book and it very good so far. I don't know how the WW2 Nazi story and the current day story are going to fit together, but I'm sure they will. The current story takes place in Kenya, but is about a girl from Arkansas and a prince from a small European county.
  • cmsienk
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I finished the third book - I PICK YOU - in the SIGNS OF LIFE Creston Mapes series. I downloaded book 4 - something with CHARM in the title - but haven't read much.

I AM IN HERE was sad, but didn't you find the ending hopeful, Connie?
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    THE CHRISTMAS HUMMINGBIRD by Davis Bunn - 4*

My review: The Christmas Hummingbird is different from the typical sweet Christmas read that I expected, and I enjoyed it very much. California fires form the backdrop for this story, with eye-opening descriptive narratives that included robbery and looting. In the midst of all that is the developing relationship between Ryan (police officer) and Ethan (rescued victim). Ryan's son, Liam, stole my heart and I loved how Ethan cared about him and was able to slowly draw him out. Most precious of all was the rescue of a hummingbird injured by smoke and the community-wide rescue operation that it led to.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Oh, that sounds so sweet, Carole!

Thanks for all the info on the Creston Mapes story, I need to remember to get to it tonight. I wanted to get my ARC book read and I finished it last night, so can start the Mapes book tonight.
  • connierandel
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Cindy - Signs of Life did end hopeful. I can't say that I "enjoyed" the book, but it was very good!

Currently I am reading an anthology of 15 Christmas Novellas. They are clean, but I thought they are probably okay since Dana Mentink is one of the authors. I can't imagine her being involved in anything sketchy. It is a little different. There are 5 sets of 3 novellas in the anthology. Each of the 5 sets are set in the same town in Maine, but each of the 3 novellas are intertwined. It was a freebie offered a few weeks ago.

A Heartwarming Holiday (anthology)
    ONCE UPON A THANKSGIVING by Anna Adams
    ONCE UPON A CHRISTMAS by Anna J. Stewart
    ONCE UPON A NEW YEAR’S EVE by Melinda Curtis
    Thankfully Yours by Leigh Riker
    Cooking up Christmas by Tara RandeL - WOW SPELLED THE SAME AS MINE!
    Countdown to Romance by Cari Lynn Webb
    Hers by Thanksgiving by Carol Ross
    Peace, Love, and Baby joy by Amy Vastine
    Never say never on New Year’s by Cheryl Harper
    Christmas past by Tara Taylor Quinn
    It only happens in Christmas town by Shirley Hailstock
    The magic stocking by Liz Flaherty
    Thanksgiving duel by Dana Mentink
    Christmas curtain call by Roz Denny
    set for New Year’s by Amie Denman
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Looks good, Connie. I've reviewed a few books from the Heartwarming line, so I recognize a few authors in addition to Dana Mentink. I discovered that I got one of the others in the series for free back in 2015, A HEARTWARMING CHRISTMAS.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I KU'd that book a week or so ago! I need to go ahead and start it! LOL!

I did finish my two ARC books, one came out today called ROSE OF THE DAWN the second book in this Brittany Fichter fantasy series.

I finished FORBIDDEN REIGN by Amy Earls, a fantasy series with biblical stories interwoven throughout, but not necessarily in chronological order. That threw me since the first book contained Jericho, but the second book ends with wilderness wanderings - hmmm? I mentioned this to her and she pointed out that it isn't based on those stories, she just took inspiration from the biblical stories.

I finished IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS by Heather Blanton, a time-travel story. It was very good!
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I finished the fourth book in the SIGNS OF LIFE Creston Mapes series - CHARM ARTIST. So far, it's my least favorite of the series. I do like his writing though - very suspenseful - so I went ahead and started book 4 - SON & SHIELD. It's interesting to me that this series is set in Portland. The main character is a police detective and Creston Mapes has brought into his narrative the increase in crime and the 'defund the police' mentality that is rife there.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I finished listening to a couple books in the Bank Street series. I found them on hoopla and they don't have all of the books. It seemed strange that they had book 1 and book 3, but not book 2. Anyway, they were good. If I decide that I want to go further into the series, they are on KU.
    Bank Street
    THE TROUBLE WITH CRUSHES by Brooke St James (rom)
    SECRET ROOMS AND STOLEN KISSES by Brooke St James (rom)

Currently I am still working my way through the 15 book series. I am enjoying it, but it is so long. I am just about half way through it.

I am listening to THE BAKERY BAR HARBOR by Amy Rafferty (rom/susp). I had pretty much decided to not read anymore of her books after 2 in one series had some inappropriate language. Hoopla just hasn't gotten much that interests me and this is her newer series, so thought I could go ahead and try again. So far, I haven't run into anything inappropriate...but nothing necessarily Christian, either. We will see.

• Restfinder
    Options
    I've run into conversations with authors about some of the language in their books, and have been told that that is how people talk today and they want to reach a certain age group, so they put it in. This last author I then mentioned that by putting in the bad language or strong slang, you are telling the kids that that kind of language is okay - and it's not! Her first book was squeaky clean, the second one had c--- and then a cuss word in it which was immediately corrected by the cusser. I couldn't believe it. These have a Christian theme to them and it just surprised me that she slipped those in, and they felt very out of place. I gave her my opinion as it was an ARC read, so I don't know if she'll act on it.

I'm still working on the same stuff. I did start a Mary Alford book but I don't remember the title right now, it's pretty good.
  • cmsienk
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Lazy day today. Got home from my family's Christmas celebration around 11pm. I was up at 5am and finally got back to sleep about an hour later - and then slept until 11. Must've really needed it.

Anyway, I just finished SON & SHIELD by Creston Mapes - I think it's my favorite so far - and then downloaded book 6: SECRETS IN SHADOWS.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    THE SHEPHERD'S CROSS by Gary E. Parker - 5*
    -- My thoughts: A beautifully heartwarming and redemptive story. There's lots of realism, with its focus on Chipper's struggle with alcohol addiction during the first six years after returning injured from WWII. There's fantasy as well, as Chipper encounters three spiritual figures at a low point Christmas Eve when his life is at a turning point.

Chipper's good intentions vs. cravings, anger, blame and guilt were eye opening, giving a realistic glimpse into what addiction involves. Spiritual themes were so very relevant - confronting and giving voice to a traumatic life experience, realizing that we have choices as to how we handle a situation's effects. And I loved the visual of the Shepherd's Cross on the cover, a reminder that God is always with us, even in war.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome story, Carole. We watched a YouTube video about the life of a shepherd and his sheep, and it was also eye-opening. To see the love the shepherd has for his sheep. When one sheep went wandering off, he went after that sheep, calling for it. When he found it he loved on it and then turned to go back to the others, calling for the sheep to follow. Not just a picture of Jesus, but our pastors are shepherds too, that is what was so eye-opening, to see those traits in my pastor - made me smile.

Reading the same stuff. I downloaded another biography from the Benges JONATHAN GOFORTH. I think the one I liked the best was William Wilberforce, oh and the one about the woman, GLADYS AYLWARD, who went to China on her own and worked with another woman there alone and they started The Inn of ... (her story was made into a movie) but they ended up taking in many street children and raising them to love Jesus.

• connierandel
    Options
    I decided to.go.ahead and finish out my month and year a couple of days early, since I finished my audio book and ebook.

Here are what I call my WOW books. I read so many books that I put a plus by the books that really stand out to me. These are my 2023 finds....some basically unknown authors, and an Amish/Mennonite book (first time one to hit my WOW list since I have been doing it.

Wow books!!
    THE UNLIKELY YARN OF THE DRAGON LADY by Sharon Mondragon - cloud 5+*
    IN THIS MOMENT by Gabrielle Meyer (time travel) libby 5+*
    WHO BROUGHT THE DOG TO CHURCH by Tracy L Smoak - KU 5+*
    HE SHOULD HAVE TOLD THE BEES by Amanda Cox - Libby 5+*
    A MILLION LITTLE CHOICES by Tamera Alexander (Family drama) libby 5+*
    TRUST THE STARS by Tricia Goyer (split-time) Hoopla 5+*
    WHILE YOU WALKED BY by Regina Felty (drama) KU 5+*
    A BRIGHTER DAWN by Leslie Gould (Amish/Mennonite/split time) libby 5+*
    MAZIE by Regina Felty (wms fict) KU 5+*

• Restfinder
    Options
    I read IN THIS MOMENT and totally agree, it's a WOW story. I'm looking forward to the next book.

I'm reading THE CORSAIRS CURSE which is a continuation on another series by Shari Tapscott. Remembering everyone isn't that hard since the last series had just four main characters. This series is about their children, who go on just as their parents did.

I'm continuing to read the Mary Alford book FORGOTTEN PAST, which is very suspenseful!

I downloaded book two in the Barks and Beans series and will start on that tonight.

• connierandel
    Options
    I just finished a few books in a series by Alexa Verde. I thought I had read all if them, but when she wrote another in the series, I realized I had missed a couple earlier ones.
    Escape to Cowboy Crossing
    NO SECOND CHANCE FOR A COWBOY by Alexa Verde (romance)
    NO MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE FOR A COWBOY by Alexa Verde (romance)
    NO MISTLETOE KISS FOR A COWBOY by Alexa Verde (romance)

I also finished
    IN THE SHADOW OF THE RIVER by Ann H Gabhart (historical) - about showboats on the Ohio River.

I started THIS PASSING HOUR by Leslie Gould (split time Amish/Mennonite) last night before bed. It is the second book in the series that book one intrigued me so much it wound up in my WOW books last year.

I haven't decided on an ebook yet. It will probably be a Jody Hedlund library book, but if it is anything like the last book I read by her, I may DNF. I said I wasn't going to read any more by her, but I have loved so many of her books that I thought I would try her newest series.

• Restfinder
    Options
    I see that Hoopla has the e-book, but I don't tend to read the books I download from Libby, I just don't think about those - sigh. I am going to look and see if Libby has it and then I can download it right to my Kindle library where I will see and and remember to read it. They sound interesting.

I finished a fantasy last night. I'm reading about ? Goforth, a missionary to China. In all of these foreign missionary stories or even the William Penn story, they lost so many children to sickness. I read somewhere that during the dark ages, they didn't name their children until they were one year old because there was such a great chance of them not making it that long!

I did finish the Mary Alford book, which ended up having two bad guys in it, one manipulating the other!

• connierandel
    edited January 2
    Options
    Edited:
    I finished the Jody Hedlund book. I actually listened text-to-voice and let my mind wander for parts of the book. I just don't like her steam.

Currently started back to the Signs Of Life series.
    I PICK YOU by Creston Mapes (suspense) -

I decided to read the Jody Hedlund book. It is a bit more steamy than I usually enjoy, but not as bad as the last series I started. I will finish it, but not saying that I would really recommend it.

I am enjoying the Leslie Gould book. It isn't quite as surprising and mind-blowing to me as book one, but very good.