What are you reading

Options

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,347 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't know that. I have Amazon Prime so I should be able to get it on my Fire Stick!

I finished the DeShazar biography. Wow, awesome story. At the very end, he is 90 years old and has a touch of dementia. He can't remember being a Japanese Prisoner of War, but he can clearly remember his years as a missionary to Japan. How good God is!

I finished a fantasy, a Robin Hood-type story, but this Robin Hood (a girl who doesn't call herself Robin) saves humans from the fae that are stealing them. I'm reading THE GOLDEN PRINCE, the third book in a fantasy series. Having trouble getting into it though.
    I finished a super short story in THE GLITCH SOCIETY series, just a few pages that help me understand a couple of the characters.
    Story three in the Holiday Menace series.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    I am listening to MANCHESTER CHRISTMAS by John Gray (Christmas). I in no way recommend this book, and if I hadn't gotten so far into I would DNF. The story is okay, the language is not. Christian? I do see some aspects, but not with that language! I have two more checked out on hoopla, and I hate to waste those borrows, but they were recommended and showed Christian. The borrows will be wasted!

I finished another Christmas Suspense boxed set. These are by three authors that Lynette Eason has mentored and written a series with.
    Christmas In The Crosshairs - Part of Elite Guardians series - KU
    DEADLY HOLIDAY HIJACK by Kate Angelo (susp)
    SILENT NIGHT SIEGE by Kelly Underwood (susp)
    CHRISTMAS SNOWSTORM STANDOFF by Sami Abrams (susp)

I just finished AN UNEXPECTED CHRISTMAS GIFT by Janetta Fudge-Messmer (Christmas). I always know her books will be clean and usually funny, but this one didn't hit a funny bone. It was a pretty good fairly short read. I'm not sure where I will go from here.

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,373 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I'm back to the TRUE CRIME JUNKIES series by Christy Barritt. This second book is called, HE WALKS AMONG US: A CHILLING ALASKAN MYSTERY.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I watched HAZARDOUS DUTY on Freezee, Cindy. It felt like I was watching a Hallmark mystery, pretty good.

I'm still working on the same books.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Ooh. Maybe I'll put that on while I pack and save the Christmas movie I was planning for later tonight
  • connierandel
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I need to get back to the true crime series by Christy Barritt.

Currently I am listening to THE JULIETTE CODE by Pepper Basham. It is book #3 in the Freddie and Grace series. They are historical nysteries with a little humor.

I am reading BRYCE by Liz Isaacson. It is good, but over 500 pages! I like her books but that is too long for that type of book.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Can you all believe that I haven't read a book since August?! Things seem to be calming down a little, so I picked up an unfinished British mystery yesterday and realized how much I've missed reading. I don't enjoy a steady diet of Christmas stories, but most are shorter in length, so I made a list of titles I hope to get to.

Tidings of Comfort & Joy by Davis Bunn

The Shepherd's Cross by Gary E. Parker

The Christmas Portrait by Phyllis Clark Nichols

A Marriage Carol by Fabry/Chapman

The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck - a fantastic tearjerker with a happy ending that I loved years ago and want to read again

An Endless Christmas by Cynthia Ruchti - another fantastic story that cries out to be read again, one of the best stories I've ever read

A Cross-Country Christmas by Courtney Walsh
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I finished HE WALKS AMONG US (book 2) on the plane and just finished NEVER HAPPEN TO YOU (book 3). In the morning I'll download book 4 in the TRUE CRIME JUNKIES series by Christy Barritt.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Book 4 of the TRUE CRIME JUNKIES series by Christy Barritt - THE DEAD OF NIGHT - was available this morning... so I downloaded it. I'm sure that means that Book 5 won't be available for a while...
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I downloaded the first book in the True Crime Junkies series. It looks pretty good.

I'm finished with a couple of my fantasies. I really enjoyed them and was surprised that I was able to get into them since I've been struggling to find some that I could get into. They are by new authors to me, clean but not Christian.
  • pianolady831
    edited November 2023
    Options
    AN ALASKAN CHRISTMAS PROMISE by Belle Calhoune - 3*
    [Reviewed on Goodreads: "I enjoyed the characters, storyline and Alaskan setting. Sweet, emotional story for Christmas or any time of the year. Hold on to your heart, or a dog named Jupiter just might steal it! I loved the Scripture references and application of faith. Love Inspired stories are comfort reads for me, although I have to skim through a lot of rehashing of thoughts and feelings to follow the conversation and action. Always enjoyable reads, though.]
  • Restfinder
    Options
    My doctor's appt is for Dec 11th. I kept thinking that something else was going on that day, then it dawned on me - that's when SHADE GROWN comes out, a BARKS AND BEANS Mystery and it should have my Jake in it! He's not in the blurb, but the blurb was written before she decided to use him as the dog in this story.

I'm reading GRIMKEEPER by Everly Haywood, a fantasy, second book in this series and so far very good.
    THE STAR CLOCK CHRONICLES by EJ Kitchens, also a very good fantasy.
    JUST THE NICEST PERSON by Christy Barritt. Having trouble getting into this one.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have read book one in the True Crime series, but haven't continued the series. I just feel behind in everything right now. I enjoyed book one, so I know I will enjoy the others when I get there.

Carole - I have read several of Belle Calhoune's novellas and books that were included in anthologies and boxed sets. I haven't read a lot of her other books, though.

Currently I am reading from the Christmas Kisses and Holiday Wishes anthology. It came up free on kindle a few weeks ago and I picked it up. I had previously read 4 of the books, so I am skipping over them. Currently reading BLESSINGS ON STATE STREET by Rachael Bloome.

I am listening to THE LAST EXCHANGE by Charles Martin. His books are always amazing, but usually very intense. I have been putting this book off, but need to get it read before it returns to the library and I have to go through the LONG hold process on it again. So far it is very good, but I am glad to have the light Christmas read to balance it out.
  • connierandel
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Wow - I usually try to balance my reading, but I have been reading and listening to really intense books. I need something light and fun!

Just finished:
    WHAT A WAVE MUST BE by Angela Hunt (family drama) - deals with three suicides and two attempts. Really hard, but good...it also had some doctrine that was comforting, but I didn't agree with all of it.

Reading:
    THE LOST BOYS OF BARLOWE THEATER by Jaime Jo Wright (susp) - dual timeline. Very spooky, but her books always are - until they aren't.

I'm not sure of my next listen, but I think something Christmas and definitely light.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Jaime Jo Wright can be pretty intense.

I'm reading:
    THE SUN STILL SHINES by Linda Ford. I just started this one.
    I'm almost finished with a two book series called TRUTH: Truth in a Name and Truth in the Word. Very strong Christian message. This is futuristic with a touch of sci-fi, but not fantastic. I was up until 2:30 last night trying to finish, there just wasn't a good stopping point. I have about 20% left.
    I finished a short prequel: STEAL A SWORDMAIDEN'S HEART, fantasy.
    I'm still reading THE STAR CLOCK CHRONICLES a sci-fi by E J Kitchens. This one is about a world where people aren't free to travel and God has been removed from this world except by underground faith.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I read book 4 in the True Crime Junkies series by Christy Barritt... and then moved on to a different genre. It's A Marriage of Convenience For a Good Cause story, LIV & THE PREACHER, by Mary E. Hanks. I'm about halfway through that
  • pianolady831
    Options
    A CROSS-COUNTRY CHRISTMAS by Courtney Walsh - 4*
    Review: A Cross-Country Christmas has a few elements that I don't really care for... a Hollywood-type job, some emphasis on physical appeal, unresolved hurt feelings, lack of communication, and romantic comedy theme. That being said, I still enjoyed this story. The action is built around Will and Lauren's road trip. While Lauren's purpose is clear - to get her home in time for the birth of her brother's child - the reasoning behind Will's extension of the journey and frequent stops unfolds as they travel. I especially loved the memorable people they meet along the way.

Regrets over poor choices in the past and their effect on others is not treated lightly, yet this is a story of redemption, second chances, and the gift of grace. The love and support of family is key, and there's some sweet emotional scenes toward the end.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Did you write that review, Carole? It was very well written and gives a very good idea of what can be expected in the story.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I got some light reads in. And I decided on a couple of Hallmark audiobooks. They are clean, but not Christian. The first one I checked out (I didn't read anything about it, just checked my files and saw I hadn't read it) was another time travel. I have been reading so many of Stephenia H McGee's time travel books, now this one. It was really good though. A TIMELESS CHRISTMAS by Alexis Stanton. This was about a man winding up in his own house over 100 years after he disappeared. The house is a museum that had period actors.

I am reading THE FORGOTTEN LIFE OF EVA GORDON by Linda MacKillop. This book tied with THE EXTRAORDINARY DEATHS OF MRS KIP for first novel in the Christy awards. It is okay, but about a woman with dementia and that hits a little close to home. I don't think it compares to Sara Brunsvold's book at all!

Later this evening I will start on the other Hallmark audio that I checked out.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Connie, the title of the first book you listed (A TIMELESS CHRISTMAS) didn't seem familiar, but the storyline is. I'm sure I've read it (and liked it).

I found two books adjacent to Mary E. Hanks' LIV & THE PREACHER, so I started in on the first of those - LAKE: A MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE CHRISTIAN ROMANCE. I should get thorough a lot of it on my 3 hour flight home from Miami.