What are you reading

Options

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I checked with Libby on the first book in that Leslie Gould series, but since my library doesn't carry it, I can't get it through Libby! Bummer.

I downloaded through KU the second book in the Hope Island Securities series by Mary Alford, DEADLY PAST. I haven't started it yet though.

Still listening to the Jonathan Goforth biography, very good. It piggybacks on the time and events of the other missionaries to China that I've read.

I finished ICED OVER by Heather Day Gilbert and will go on to book three, FAIR TRADE.

Still reading CORSAIR'S CURSE the first book in a new series by Shari Tapscott. Not Christian-themed but clean. Spin off on another of her series.

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,368 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    I read a 3-book mail order bride series earlier in the week: Mail-Order Brides of Cowboy Creek by Jovie Grace - Elizabeth: A Sweet Western Christmas Romance, and then Grace and Lily. She also writes as Jo Grafford.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited January 4
    Options
    I am almost done with SON & SHIELD by Creston Mapes. This one is an audiobook through hoopla. I will start the next audiobook this evening.
    SON & SHIELD
    SECRETS IN SHADOWS

I listened to SCORCHED SECRETS by Laura Scott (susp). This is book 6 in the Finnegan's First Responder series. I have the rest lined up on Everand (scribd). I had forgotten about this series, but several had been written since I read the others.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Connie - I haven't read Jody Hedlund in a long time, but like you, I've enjoyed her earlier books. Has her writing style changed, or are they more steamy? I actually started one of hers last night, CALLING ON THE MATCHMAKER. It focuses on the physical a little more than most CF, but I love the characters and storyline so far. So mixed feelings on this one.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Carole, I stopped reading her when she upped the steam. It surprised me because I really enjoyed her earlier books.

I started a re-read last night SUN AND MOON, a mild fantasy where each person is assigned by God to another. One person is a sun person (depending on when they were born) and the other a moon person, they balance each other. The Royals have powers that are used to protect and help their people.

I'm still working on the Jonathan Goforth biography, and just kind of "hunting and pecking" through other stuff.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I'm re-reading THE YADA YADA PRAYER GROUP by Neta Jackson. I originally read this series before I had my first Kindle and I own all the books in paperback. It's probably the only one I'll download as it's the only I see available thru KU
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I just downloaded Beach House Mysteries, Books 1-3 by Christy Barritt. I'll start on the first one, THE COTTAGE ON GHOST LANE, tonight.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Cindy, I read the first two books in the YADA YADA series many years ago and loved them. Found them life changing, even. My goal is to start all over and read through the whole series, even the spin-off series. I'm about ready to start book #1.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Yada Yada is one of my very favorite series! I have to read a book that I often recommend for a book challenge...hummm. It might be time to pull that one back out.

Another series that I loved and thought rather life changing was Sensible Shoes by Sharon Garlough Brown. I thought they were KU, but I guess I got them through the library.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Cindy - once in a while I use Internet Archives to find free books. They do have some of the Yada Yada books. Of course they aren't available for Kindle, but I have used my phone or tablet.

https://archive.org/search?query=title:(Yada yada)
  • cmsienk
    edited January 7
    Options
    Thanks! I'd forgotten about the Internet Archive. I just figured I'd have to wait until I was home for a stretch to read the next one (because I only take my Kindle with me on the road, not actual books). It's also one of my favorite series.

ETA: Just found Book 2 - THE YADA YADA PRAYER GROUP GETS DOWN (by Neta Jackson) on The Internet Archive and I have it on my Surface now. Thanks again, Connie!
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished the Jonathan Goforth biography. These biographies don't often tell you what the person believes, but they do tell you what mission group they are working through. I believe he was with the Presbyterian Church, but he had a huge heart for Jesus. He just didn't want to quit ministering the the Chinese, even when he went blind in his 70's! Now to find my next one.

I've gone back and am re-reading some stories that came to mind.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have gotten into a couple difficult reads.
    SAVING GRAYSON by Chris Fabry. This was a bit hard because Grayson has Alzheimer's. It is written pretty much from his point of view. I hate to say it, but it reminds me that Bill's physical disabilities are almost a blessing. At least he doesn't wander and doesn't try to take off in the car. The book waa very good, just hard.

I just finished SECRETS, LIES, AND DEADLY TIES by Tawni Suchy (susp). It was LONG and hard. I needed a debut author for a challenge and this was recommended....I won't recommend it.

Currently listening to CRITICAL RESPONSE by Laura Scott (susp). I have been enjoying this series, but the next book isn't available in audio or free from the library. I can get it through everand (scribd) ebook, but I don't like the ebook format that can't be text-to-voice. I think I may wind up buying the kindle copy. It is $3.99 and I have.$3.6x in credits. I guess I can afford less than 40 cents :). Then the next is available in hoopla audio.

I think I will read another Love Inspired book by Belle Calhoune. I don't remember the name, but it is set in Alaska.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Connie, books like the one you mentioned by Fabry are my favorite type, but I have to slip in lighter reads between them. Sometimes they hit very close to home, don't they?

Well, I finished Jody Hedlund's newest book and probably won't read any more of her later books. I thought surely it was self published, only to discover that it was Bethany.

CALLING ON THE MATCHMAKER by Jody Hedlund - 2.5*
    Thoughts: Mixed feelings about this book... I loved learning about the Irish immigrant population in St. Louis, cultural practices, the Shanahan family, etc. The premise of hiring a matchmaker is fascinating, and the older matchmaker's son, Bellamy, is a wonderfully engaging character. And there's delightful humor scattered throughout.

This story is technically clean, but there's a lot of emphasis on physical attraction, descriptive passages, sensuality. This level of steaminess goes beyond what I expect to find in Christian fiction.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Carole - my exact feelings on the book. I do have one of her older books in my queue for a book challenge, but they were her better books, so I think I will go ahead with it.

I decided to check another library site that I don't use as much anymore, and they had the next Laura Scott book that I wanted. Saved my 40 cents.
    STRATEGIC THREAT by Laura Scott (susp)

Also reading:
    HIS SECRET ALASKAN HEIRESS by Belle Calhoune (LI) - I enjoyed the others in the series, but this one seems predictable and not as well written. At least it is clean and short.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I found the audio of EXPLOSIVE TRUTH on Hoopla, so will try that one. I don't think I've read anything by Laura Scott.

Still doing some re-reading which is relaxing to me.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished SPILLED MILK and started TROUBLE BREWING by Heather Day Gilbert. I'm really enjoying this cozy series!

Re-reading a fantasy series by K M Shea.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I finished the two YADA YADA PRAYER GROUP books, then went back to the Christy Barritt book I started: THE COTTAGE ON GHOST LANE.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I finished Christy Barritt's THE COTTAGE ON GHOST LANE from the Beach House Mysteries series and started reading the next one: THE INN ON HANGING HILL
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Still working on the same books! I had started an MOB type box set by Terri Grace, but it's not very well written, so I may just finish the first one and not move on.